How recommended is a mic?

Basically I kind of packed away my PS4 bundled mono headset (haven't played enough MP games yet to require buying a better one) before a house move fell through last month, and I have no idea where I put it. As such I was just wondering how big of a requirement a mic is for this game? I'd be spending most of my time trying to join in with random games so without a mic would I be looking at being kicked from games unless I can speak?

Depending on the replies I'll either spend the whole of tomorrow digging through boxes until I find my mic, or give up and get Battlefront instead, so thanks either way ;)

If you have friends who play the game, a headset is a must. The ability to talk to teammates and hear enemy movements is a huge advantage. If you are playing with randoms and don't have a headset, that's fine. Randoms will leave you alone anyways and will kick you if you happen to team kill. I would still recommend having a headset regardless for the reasons said earlier.

I would recommend to have a headset for certain, especially when you play with friends or in teams that you know because it'll be good to know the progress on other people in your team, might give you an idea on where the enemies are.

That said, you could easily play online without one if you do not play with your friends (man, tbh you could even just use skype or discord on your phone, I do and it works). Playing with Randoms although isn't as easy as playing with friends it's still something you could easily do, just pay more attention to your life and keep an eye on those closest too you rather than all team mates, just because it's a slightly riskier game with no mic.

It's your choice but I would use some sort of team speak if I were you. 

You don't necessarily have to have one, like nobody is really gonna yell at you or kick you for not having one.

That being said the game is simply made for mic communication, and it's a far greater experience with a mic, I can't tell you how many new people I've met and added as friends just by playing this game over the past week, lol. It's basically just many times more fun talking and communicating with others, I feel there hasn't been a game like that in a while, reminds me of like Modern Warfare 2 or Rainbow Six Vegas back in the day. So it's not necessarily needed, but I highly recommend it :P

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 2

From watching gameplay, a mic seems absolutely essential to be successful in this game. Siege relies heavily on teamwork and sound whoring and having a headset is the best tool for the job but even just a mic is better than nothing. If you want to get the most enjoyment and success possible from this game, invest in a headset or find your mic. 

Parker

Any headphones with an in-line mic will do, you don't need to use the one that came with the PS4 or anything officially sold as a "gaming" headset.

Having said that, results may vary. While the game sound is fine using my iPhone earbuds, my friends complain that they can hear a ringing sound from my mic when I use them. 

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like there seems to be a general consensus that while playing with friends a mic is definitely required (I'd probably agree after years of playing Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead with friends on PC), but with randoms, although a mic helps, good common sense will probably get me through.

I decided to take a punt anyway and got the game, but I'll definitely see if I can dig out my mic in the next few days - or find the headphones from my phone (thanks for that tip btw, StrickenBiged).

Anyway, thanks again everyone, I appreciate all the advice :)

there was only one terrorist left, and only one guy from my team was still alive. i watched the game through his eyes, and he walks into a room full of explosives without realizing it. i can't warn him because he doesn't have a mic. so his body gets separated from his limbs and we fail the mission. the moral of this story is... um... watch where you're going? and get a mic.

It's not as necessary as I thought it would be.  I have a 2.5 win/loss ratio in ranked play after playing for a few hours.  Most of those wins were without my team communicating.  We won those games because the players were just better. 

Yeah you can get by in multiplayer, but realistic terro hunt works much better with mics.