Who killed Ruby & Emerald w/o God Mode?

TheBigDerian

I did. Never did in my prior playthrough, so I wanted to platinum it without cheats and whatnot. To see if I could. I more or less used OP's strategy. Makes both bosses really easy. I was expecting them to be much tougher, but I guess I went with the easiest "mortal" method. Maybe one year I'll try to defeat them without KOTR among other things. We'll see how the remake handles it.

Anyways, I don't care if anyone uses cheats. As said earlier, it's programmed into this version of the game, so it's just as legitimate route to go as my way. I only had one game over my entire run (a boss in Midgar haha), so it's still one of the easiest FF platinums without cheats.

• 1 month later...

Congrats on doing it legit without the temptation of God Mode. I won't be attempting this feat on PS4 because I did it legit many, many years ago as a kid who had no internet to help, had to figure out the strategies all by myself, not bad for an 8-11 year old (yes, it took me THAT long to beat the game- c'mon, I had SCHOOL)

I used God Mode to grind because grinding sucks and I already proved I could handle the monsters in the North Cave. I also used God Mode to grind through the Battle Square because I would've just grinded to beat that anyway.

I plan to return to Battle Square without God Mode and with limited Materia just to see if I could do it.

As for the fights themselves, it was legitimate.

I only used God Mode to get the means to vanquish them. It was a little scary when Cloud got struck down but thankfully Tifa and Cid pulled through.

I REALLY want the plat for this. Only thing making me not play is the Barrett date... I would use the date glitch probably. But regardless. That trophy is what's putting me off.

Question, is God mode just Infinite limit breaks right?

I wouldn't worry so much about Barrett's date. Worst case scenario, you could just cheese your way through a second playthrough with the cheats. Barrett's date is mid to near end of first disc. The game had 3 discs, but most of the story was on the first two discs. Gotta be careful when using the date glitch! But if you remember your choices, you could be fine with a save before that glitch, saving yourself an hour or two if you gotta replay.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry so much about Barrett's date. Worst case scenario, you could just cheese your way through a second playthrough with the cheats. Barrett's date is mid to near end of first disc. The game had 3 discs, but most of the story was on the first two discs. Gotta be careful when using the date glitch! But if you remember your choices, you could be fine with a save before that glitch, saving yourself an hour or two if you gotta replay.

thanks. I think I'll go that route. if i get it by luck sweet. if not I'll cheese it on a second run. with the 3x speed it wouldn't take too too long to get their. plus as you said it's first disc content.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Bested Emerald WEAPON today. It wasn't as satisfying as the Ruby WEAPON battle, but I did it! I also forgot to mention I only used my beefed up Cloud mainly solo throughout without using the Mime and Knights of the Round (KOTR) Materia.

On both vids (Ruby video post above) you'll see the trophy pop in the end, enjoy! :)

On 3/25/2016 at 2:30 AM, ShadowReplicant said:

Yup, did it legit for the thousandth time. I always go with the grindy strategy. No fancy materia combinations, just get all characters to 99, max out stats to 255 (except for magic and spirit), LVL 4 limit breaks, best equipment and simply beat the crap out of both of them using only physical attacks and limit breaks. Ruby went down after 15 mins, Emerald took 5.

Haven't used god mode once during my playthrough, but holy crap thank god for that 3x speed mode. I used it so much that I found myself pressing L3 on loading screens in different games lol.

This, is exactly what I did too, including the Speed Mode. Did play the game on several platforms and times, but never beat these two before the PS4 version. Glad I did it so called legit, for my own self-respect.

• Like 1

I remember striving for hours and hours and hours to raise my stats to eventually beat these assholes back in the day. The concept of bosses existing in a game that were much more difficult than the Final boss was totally bizarre to me at the time.

Edited by MeteorHawk

• 6 months later...

I beat Ruby without God mode, but not Emmy. Ruby's definitely the easier of the two, since she does no magic damage. Emmy probably would have worked with my same set-up (although I would probably switch out my Mystile Armor), but I was bored with it by then.

Ruby seemed a lot easier on this version. Back in the PS1 days, she just spammed Ultima, and would often cast it twice\ in a row, when you doubled up on her main body. This time, she just kept re-spawning her tentacles, which were easily dispatched by a Mimic'ed KotR. Although I had a Final Attack-Revive combo going, I never came close to needing it.

I didn't realize that you needed the Ultima Weapon to do any real weapon damage to the main body. Of course, that wasn't happening, since I wanted the huge amount of AP to be tripled to finish off the last of my summons.

On 2/5/2016 at 5:46 PM, wakdestoyer said:

Emerald:

Mime+Counter x7

Get Cloud to Omnislash while the other two members were fallen, Emerald Weapon will attack Cloud and then Cloud will do Omnislash 7 times on Emerald (thanks to the Mime+Counter combination, Omnislash will be mimed every time Cloud gets hit as long as Omnislash was the last action your party does).

Huh. That's pretty cute. I never really thought of that.

Edited by starcrunch061

• 1 year later...