Who killed Ruby & Emerald w/o God Mode?

TheBigDerian

Just a curious question because it's pretty obvious that many people who platinumed this game did it. 

I did do it legitimately even though this was my third time playing through this game. Here's how I did it, feel free to share your strategies/Materia combinations bellow:

Emerald:

Mime+Counter x7

Get Cloud to Omnislash while the other two members were fallen, Emerald Weapon will attack Cloud and then Cloud will do Omnislash 7 times on Emerald (thanks to the Mime+Counter combination, Omnislash will be mimed every time Cloud gets hit as long as Omnislash was the last action your party does).

Ruby:

KotR+HP Absorb, Hades+W-Summon, Mime

Two team mates must be fallen. Get the only character to immediately W-Summon Hades then KotR. Ruby will be paralyzed by Hades allowing KotR to deal damage to him without Ruby instakilling you (he does if you use KotR on him). KotR will heal you thanks to the HP Absorb Materia and you can Mime the previous summons without losing much MP.

• Like 1

I did it legit, many times on PS1. I will likely do it legit again on PS4, because I love this damn game so much! xD

Btw, why is it 'obvious' people used the cheat to beat them? Or do you assume if they beat them, then they must have used the cheat? Just curious.

• Like 1

Well I didn't use god mode but I still felt pretty cheap as fuck abusing mime on Ruby. Emerald I at least did semi-legit, by some god given miracle I had Cloud's max health equal exactly 7777 when I accidentally removed a piece of materia from him and decided I was gonna take advantage of the fact, still took me a couple of attempts to finish off the rest of his health once my All Lucky 7s so I'm still more proud of that than I am of Ruby.

I did in the original game. Just remember I mashed Knights of the Round+Mime.

Also, the extras, like god mode, were added for those of us that wanted to experience the game again, without having to play for 100s of hours again. And while it's made getting the plat much easier, and that's a little disappointing, I do welcome it on old games like this. I never would've had the time to play through it and experience the game again without it.

• Like 1

This reminds me of that Demon Souls thread asking who got the platinum without a single dupe. Funny thing because trophies aren't ever worth more or less based on the method you used.

This seems a bit hypocritical coming from the guy who was complaining a couple days ago about the fact that walkthroughs exist for The Witness. How can you be OK with using God Mode or Duping in games, but think that walkthroughs of all things ruin a platinum?

• Like 4

I remember fighting the Weapons but never beating them back in the day. I was like only 10 when it came out here in the US so things like "strategy" never came to mind. My mentality was "spam attack and Cure 3" back then.

I think when I get around to playing this version that I will most likely use God Mode because I don't want to spend possibly dozens of hours grinding to beat 2 bosses.

Really makes me wish Final Fantasy X HD had a god mode too. Stupid Luck Stat grind... 

This seems a bit hypocritical coming from the guy who was complaining a couple days ago about the fact that walkthroughs exist for The Witness. How can you be OK with using God Mode or Duping in games, but think that walkthroughs of all things ruin a platinum?

You really think that skipping one section of a game you probably already played before is the same thing as using a walkthrough to skip the whole game? I think my comparison in the thread was very on point, skipping puzzles all in a puzzle game is like skipping all dialog in a VN.

Nothing against using guides in one part of walkthrough to skip certain sections, i know i did it myself for two puzzles in the Swapper beyond the trophies because i wanted to see the ending.

I've killed them in ps1 and in ps3 (psn ffvii) around 20 times.So i don't feel bad that i used 3x speed and infinite limit breaks in ps4.As for the legit kills,i always prefered fast kills.So i beat Emerald with 4x-cut materia and final attack+life2 to all 3 characters.For Ruby i used the same strategy,plus 3 Ribbons and Dazers to avoid watching KotR and Ultima every single minute.

• 4 weeks later...

I hadn't really attempted to beat Ruby and Emerald back on the PS1 or PC versions after they soundly wiped out my entire party several times. I had no grasp of the combat intricacies during FFVII's original release and I really didn't dwell on it even after I painstakingly beat Ultima Weapon in FFVIII in a battle that must have clocked 30 minutes...

Bought the FFVII PS3 port but neglected it. FFVII PS4 port arrives with slicker graphics and cooler features and I finally desire to put those two bastards in their place once and for all, legit.

With a much better understanding of the combat mechanics, thanks in part to several additional years of general FF experience making FFVII's look quite simplistic, I used Cloud, Cid, and Nancy Vincent to dish out heavy KOTR+MIME MIME+COUNTER damage with a hint of HADES (Ruby only). Ruby landed one hit and poor Emerald didn't even get a chance to blow a bubble. Cheap, maybe, but legit. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, did it legit for the thousandth time. I always go with the grindy strategy. No fancy materia combinations, just get all characters to 99, max out stats to 255 (except for magic and spirit), LVL 4 limit breaks, best equipment and simply beat the crap out of both of them using only physical attacks and limit breaks. Ruby went down after 15 mins, Emerald took 5.

Haven't used god mode once during my playthrough, but holy crap thank god for that 3x speed mode. I used it so much that I found myself pressing L3 on loading screens in different games lol.

• 3 weeks later...

On PS1 I killed Emerald legit, but never could kill Ruby.  On the PS4 I killed Emerald with the God Mode running, then made a separate save, reloaded the fight and tried it legit to see if I could and did.  I had to use God Mode for Ruby though.

• 2 weeks later...

I do it every time I play this game, and getting my plat on PS4 was no different. The only "cheat" I used was 3x battle speed, because the speed of the battle system has not aged well at ALL. FF7 is one of my favorite games, so each time I play it I challenge myself to do more, in a less amount of time. I typically play through it once every few years or so.

I've actually resorted to a few different strategies, but the ones mentioned in OP were always my first go-to setups.

• 5 months later...

Back in the day, I beat Ruby by entering the battle alone, with Mystile armor. KOTR did damage, and Mystile dodged counters. In the event that I did get hit, Final Attack + Revive took care of it.

As for Emerald, you can just power through him. The independent lasers are the only real worry, but once you get out a big summon, they'll be gone for a while (though they do regenerate, if memory serves). But KOTR was just fine. I think I had Final Attack + Phoenix for that battle, but I don't think it was necessary.