Stein's Gate or Danganronpa?

FireHotStickies

Stein's Gate or Danganronpa?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Stein's Gate or Danganronpa?

• Stein's Gate
    • Danganronpa

Thinking about buying my first ever virtual novel and not sure which to go for. Both obviously get great reviews and are both great games.

Would either of them be better to get me into the virtual novel genre?

I am leaning towards Stein's Gate, mainly because it is about half the price and I can pick it up for £14. OK just checked and it's £10 cheaper than Danganronpa (both physical). Also, Danganronpa is coming to steam so could get it there. Although it's probably better played on a handheld?

What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated!

I'll be the odd one out :P

If you want to ease yourself into the Visual Novel genre, start with other genres that have Visual Novel elements. A JRPG with VN elements would ease you into the walls of text because there's the gameplay between all the reading.

Another important thing is to pick a type of story that interests you. If you think that time travel is stupid and the first VN you experience has time travel as it's main story element, you'll probably think you hate VN's because you didn't like the story. The same could be said about anime or indie games. It's more of a style of storytelling/gameplay. There are different genres within the style and if you find you didn't like the first one, give a different one a try.

Edited by kuuhaku
  • Like 1

I'll be the odd one out :P

If you want to ease yourself into the Visual Novel genre, start with other genres that have Visual Novel elements. A JRPG with VN elements would ease you into the walls of text because there's the gameplay between all the reading.

Another important thing is to pick a type of story that interests you. If you think that time travel is stupid and the first VN you experience has time travel as it's main story element, you'll probably think you hate VN's because you didn't like the story. The same could be said about anime or indie games. It's more of a style of storytelling/gameplay. There are different genres within the style and if you find you didn't like the first one, give a different one a try.

That's a great idea. I would recommend him Tears to Tiara II. It has a lot of text, great story and a great battle system. It's worth to give it a go, but give it time, it starts a bit slow.

Edited by Carlver

The story in itself was not that bad, I agree. But didn't you get bored when you played the same part over and over?

On the 5th time : "Come quick, someone was found dead". Me : No sh*t Sherlock. And I bet it involves a knife. Don't ask, I'm psychic.

Nope? Not at all? 

Finding subtle differences that matter more than one could think was interesting enough.

Yeah I'm definitely going to get the game, just waiting for it to be on sale.

Don't wait! Support the localizations!

That's a great idea. I would recommend him Tears to Tiara II. It has a lot of text, great story and a great battle system. It's worth to give it a go, but give it time, it starts a bit slow.

>recommending over 100 hours JRPG that has so many text that even Atlus USA was lazy to dub it to beginner...

Um...

Um...

Um... :D

• Like 1

Nope? Not at all? 

Finding subtle differences that matter more than one could think was interesting enough.

>recommending over 100 hours JRPG that has so many text that even Atlus USA was lazy to dub it to beginner...

Um...

Um...

Um... :D

Well, I think the main game is not that long by any means. I read everything and got to chapter 20 out of 42 in 22-23 hours, so I think it's 50 hours for the story. It's long, but not that much, unless it gets pretty long at the end. I'll finish it this year, so I'll be able to talk with more information. If he's going for the platinum it'll surpass 100 hours mark easily.

Stein's Gate all the way. The story is just mind blowingly amazing and satisfying.

Also the VN for Stein's Gate actually has a good translation to it unlike the anime for it. God the things they made Daru say in the anime. Horrifying.

Are you talking about the dubbed version? I watched the subbed version and it was ok.

I think 9 or so different trophy lists are more than enough localizations ;)

Are you talking about the dubbed version? I watched the subbed version and it was ok.

I think 9 or so different trophy lists are more than enough localizations ;)

Was watching the subbed version because I wouldn't touch dubbed with an infinitely long pole, not listening to a ruined Mayuri. It's mainly just Daru and he acts like a real idiot and less like a 2channer. Shouldn't be seeing 'stfu' acronym in subtitles when the character said a basic 'Shut up' in Japanese.

None of that in the VN. Really had zero issues with the script for the VN. Was superb and even more sciencey/pseudo-sciencey.

hmmm... should I wait a little longer for a third choice to appear.. you know a certain game called Virtue's Last Reward? xD

hmmm... probably too late since you have already decided to get both... But between the two.. I am leaning to recommending S;G more than Dangan series... don't get me wrong... I do love Danganronpa series... but since we are talking about your first Visual Novel.. I would recommend the one with 100% VN element in it... plus, it has multiple endings which is primary common to Visual Novels and is a great choice for someone who wants to start a game from the genre.... 

Edited by JaM

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll get both.

Have ordered physical of Steins;Gate for Vita. Not sure if I should get Danganronpa on the Vita or Steam.

Get the Steam version, mouse aiming is way better than use a controller stick. On top of that, the port is supposedly decent and runs on 60fps for what it is worth (not sure how much you'll care for a framerate boost for a action oriented VN).