Why trophies are needed !

Saintilaire

Well i have to say that i rly like the trophy system that was brought to the ps3. I've played games all my life and all that matered to me then was to finish the game and know the story. Sometimes you had something to unlock if you played again and sometimes you havent. The trophies brought us new chalenges that we wouldnt even try if there was no trophy.

I like the trophy system and i like to gain trophies, but still, i wont spend money on a game i dont like just to get a bunch of trophies.

I enjoy collecting trophies as much as the next guy but they can be a pain.. they do make the games longer and give you more things to do, sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad. I hope the PS4 doesn't get trophies, if it does I will no longer collect trophies on the PS4 :blush:

Edited by DRAGON1NINJA

No, I couldn't disagree more.

As you are new, I wont go to town on the subject, but you'll see various posts by me around the site with my views on trophies. I have no issues with trophy hunters, who enjoy a game, but cant abide people who will play something they hate just for the trophy count.

To keep it short and sweet though, trophies are one of the main reasons why so many developers can get away with releasing a 4 - 6 hour campaign that needs to be replayed 4 times by those addicted to trophies.

If its your thing, that is great, but nobody can convince me that trophies / achievements have improved gaming.

Where exactly did the topic creator mention playing games that you'd "hate" solely to earn trophies? Also, what makes you think more games have a "4 - 6 hour campaign" this generation as compared to any other? And even if that were the case, what proof do you have that trophies are the cause?

From what I've seen, trophies cause people to become too sensitive. They start blaming all kinds of occurrences on trophies, even though the only real difference trophies have brought to the gaming world is that anyone can display these indications of gameplay online for others to see in a concise manner.

The only point in playing games in general is to enjoy oneself. It seems everyone can agree on that. Yet trophies are just an indication of everything you have accomplished while playing games. More trophies, the more goals players have. The more goals players have, the more they may play. The more they may play, the more enjoyment they are getting from their games. It's funny how so many people can be so blind to such simplicity.

• Like 2

Where exactly did the topic creator mention playing games that you'd "hate" solely to earn trophies? Also, what makes you think more games have a "4 - 6 hour campaign" this generation as compared to any other? And even if that were the case, what proof do you have that trophies are the cause?

The OP stated his thoughts on why he thinks trophies are great, I stated my "opinion" on one of the reasons I'm not keen on them.

As for the reasons behind games that are 4-6 hours long, of course I don't have proof, its an opinion, nothing more.

Agree or disagree, that's your choice, but I honestly believe that some developers pad their poorer games out with trophies rather than them being true achievements. I've never liked the idea of trophies for completing games on different settings when the harder settings are locked for the first run.

I could go on and on with my thoughts on them, as I'm sure you could, I've mentioned in the the thread that not everyone will agree with me and its the opinion of a minority, but trophies do nothing in terms of how I, personally enjoy the games I play.

The fact that you don't wanna replay J&D because you have all the trophies, can't be blamed on the trophies. The trophyhunter inside you is to blame ;)

For the gamers who care, the trophies are a nice extra that will sometimes make you do things you wouldn't have done without the trophies.

The real advantage is obviously for the developers, like people here said before. Bad/short games will be sold more, even though they really shouldn't. And I bet at least 50% of the DLC sales are made by trophy hunters. I don't mind new trophies on DLC, the only thing that seem pretty pointless to me, are the grind trophies. Nobody likes them and there aren't any advantages to them for the developers.

I agree with you. And the DLC's well only the extreme trophy hunters buy them. My only DLC's and packs are free, because I already spent the money on the game then why I would buy a DLC just for trophies?

I'd love to replay Jak and Daxter, but there being no more trophies to earn is preventing me from replaying it, and I kinda hate that.

But if you want to play it play, I'm a trophy hunter too, but when we love a game, it has trophies, it does not have trophies, I don't care, I have WWE'12, the reason I wanted a PS3, just to play this game, but got many other games before that. I've platinum the game yesterday but I still play, let's say my trophy hunter is vanishing, because he is so little that dont make win trophies again, maybe in a few days but now I'm trying to really enjoy WWE'12.

Trophies are a fun side distraction. I think they add to a games replayabilty and fun factor. Who doesn't like getting rewarded for beating a tough boss or beating the game on hard? That said I've never been the type to chase trophies for the sake of trophies. I only bother platinuming games that I truly enjoyed and love. Currently I have only four plats but I would still like to platinum a handful of games on my list that I really enjoyed.

Edited by Crimson-Cobalt
  • Like 1

Trophies are a fun side distraction. I think they add to a games replayabilty and fun factor. Who doesn't like getting rewarded for beating a tough boss or beating the game on hard? That said I've never been the type to chase trophies for the sake of trophies. I only bother platinuming games that I truly enjoyed and love. Currently I have only four plats but I would still like to platinum a handful of games on my list that I really enjoyed.

You're right, because let's imagine there is a game that start in the 1st level and end in the final boss 3 hours, but we have to do 2 gameplays to have a platinum, if that game didn't had trophies then I would play the 1st gameplay and that's it, but with trophies another 3 hours of fun, (if we like the game of course)

• Like 1

I hate trophies/achievements but at the same time am addicted to them. I would live to be able to gO back to the days of playing a game I liked for hours without thinking about what trophies I need to get etc. I played final fantasy 7 for about 150 hours + just because I enjoyed it.

Now once I finish a game that's it I hardly ever replay it. I sold my Xbox recently because I have grown to hate the achievement system, I did have 150,000 gamers core an I was playing all sorts of crap just because it was easy - Although I am playing skylanders with my son on ps3

Now on my ps3 I am only playing the game franchises that I really like - Need for speed, skylanders, FIFA, mass effect and wwe games. In these I will try and get what trophies I can but I will not purchase any other games just to boost my score.

I respect peoples dedication who do trophy/achievement hunt but from my experience their addition to games has tarnished my games experiences.

I would live to be able to gO back to the days of playing a game I liked for hours without thinking about what trophies I need to get etc. I played final fantasy 7 for about 150 hours + just because I enjoyed it.

For sure. I’ve played FF 7 so many times and never did an absence of trophies prevent me from 100+ hours of enjoyment. I don’t believe trophies are “needed” because it’s clear from my experience that before their introduction, I enjoyed my games no less. Of course, I don’t really mind them either because they are meant to add to the enjoyment of our games a fun feature that wasn’t present before.

I will say something simple,lets play GAMES with or withour trophies and not TROPHIES with "games"...I like the trophies in a game(something that salt/pepper on it),but my favorite games that i use to finish again and again in older consoles hasnt them.I grow up playing games without trophies,i like at the present the trophies,but any time that they decide to stop them,still will play and will enjoy all the games that i want.

And something last:Before trophies,used to do everything by my own in my favorite games(like Resi1,2,3:Nemesis,Silent Hill series,Project Zero etc)and the best "prize"was the moral :)

Agree or disagree, that's your choice, but I honestly believe that some developers pad their poorer games out with trophies rather than them being true achievements. I've never liked the idea of trophies for completing games on different settings when the harder settings are locked for the first run.

I could go on and on with my thoughts on them, as I'm sure you could, I've mentioned in the the thread that not everyone will agree with me and its the opinion of a minority, but trophies do nothing in terms of how I, personally enjoy the games I play.

It's interesting, actually, Gearbox (Borderlands dev) seems to think that easy achievements will boost a triple-A game's sales to a non-negligible degree but at the end of the day, he's only speaking about games that people regard as very high quality anyway - if a shitty game has easy achievements then the other 95% of sales that they would have had regardless of achievements would still be lost because of the lack of quality of the game. The market share of people who care sufficiently about achievements isn't enough to mean that an otherwise crap game can even break even based solely on the buying power of the cheevo hunter niche, so I don't believe that any developer uses virtual rewards to make up for games that are substandard in other ways because of the above reasons. At least we can agree that if any developers are doing this, they're wasting their time.

As for your thing about people playing shitty games just for trophies (which I do from time to time), I think the appeal is that people still get a sense of fun and a sense of reward from doing this - the trophy metagame is, in these cases, more fun than the game itself. I think that if that's what floats your boat, that's OK, and there's no reason to castigate people who get enjoyment from the metagame, as after all that's what it's there for!

Of course for me the metagame is only part of the reason, I also like to play the unfixably awful to laugh at bad game design, gather material for reviews, learn about gaming history and learn not what to do when I (hopefully) end up in game design myself, but still, the metagame has a pull of its own. Collecting things is inherently appealing to some people.

• Like 2

Gaming hasn't changes that much with the inclusion of trophies (besides the potentially push for hunters to buy bad DLC). Many people back in the day loved to get every little thing done in the games they owned, beat the game on all difficulties, etc. The only difference now is you have a tiny image to confirm you're not making up you success to friends, if they care. Everyone plays differently.

I think that with trophies, people start being more selective in the games to buy and it may make us choose the best trophy list ;)

For me, it's made me more open to games. If I like a game I will but it regardless of trophies, but games I am on-the-fence about I can be convinced if the trophy list isn't incredibly hard/grind-filled. That way, if I end up not liking the game, at least I have a shiny platinum to make the purchase more satisfying.