Good JRPG's for PS3, PS4, Vita

ThiophenSJ

Okay, I decided I will order Ys Memories of Celceta and Atelier Dusk series - 4 new games, and many more good advices here in this thread, that will keep me busy for sure. :D

One last question about the three Atelier Dusk games (which are recommended as good entries by the most people here):

Atelier Ayesha, Atelier Escha & Logy, Atelier Shallie - should I choose the normal or the Plus versions?

• Like 1

should I choose the normal or the Plus versions?

Both :awesome: (You need both types for Atelier PP :awesome:)

If you don't mind digital-only, get Plus versions. They contain everything the original ones + few enhancements.

A-sha - definitely plus version for Japanese voices :awesome:

E&L - I would say both, because you want to know Escha and Logy before going for Plus version where their relationship gets... hot =D

Shallie - again, both, as Shallie+ works as a true end to Dusk, but you should also know what happened in original Shallie =D

Ys: Memories of Celceta: Looks really cool, the screenshots give a feel of Tales of, and crimsonidol-de catched me with comparing it to Tales of Xillia. :awesome:

Everything works out as planned! :awesome:

Odin Sphere: After looking more into it now, this game seems to be a lot like Muramasa The Demon Blade - I played that on Wii and loved it. :D I'm also planning to get Muramasa Rebirth for Vita in the next time.

No wonder it feels similar to you, as both are from the same developer. Do you have a japanese PSN-account? If so, you can grab the demo for Odin Sphere (PS4) here:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/cid=JP0005-CUSA04276_00-ODINSPHERELEDEM0

IMO it's self-explanatory and shouldn't be much of a problem.

Both :awesome: (You need both types for Atelier PP :awesome:)

If you don't mind digital-only, get Plus versions. They contain everything the original ones + few enhancements.

Nah, I don't think I'll go for both versions, I'm mostly against playing the same game twice (not counting New Game Plus, I mean 2 versions of the same game), so I guess I'll choose the Plus version if they're enhanced anyway. :)

Everything works out as planned! :awesome:

No wonder it feels similar to you, as both are from the same developer. Do you have a japanese PSN-account? If so, you can grab the demo for Odin Sphere (PS4) here:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/cid=JP0005-CUSA04276_00-ODINSPHERELEDEM0

IMO it's self-explanatory and shouldn't be much of a problem.

Ah, same developer, so that's why. Man, I really should inform myself better. :P No, I don't have a japanese account, but I guess it's time to get one. :D

PS4 is still crappy when it comes to JRPGs apart from Type-0 and SAO. 

In other words, PS4 is still crappy.

Anyway, if you are a fan of old school JRPGs (i.e. those from the SNES era, or even the PS1 era), a lot of these recommendations will fail to satisfy. The best of the lot in that regard is Ni No Kuni. I personally thought Tales of Graces f was fun, but the grind for the plat is an annoyance. Star Ocean is a great 40-hour RPG, but an atrocious 500-hour plat. 

Well, of course, but people are for some reason trying to defend it :awesome:

But But but...... I bought my PS4 for a JRPG called Nep VII, and SO5 is coming in 1 week.

But back on recommendations.

Eternal Sonata is probably the 2nd-best tri-ace game I played (favorite is currently Baten Kaitos). It combines the time limited turn based battle system of Baten Kaitos with more actionish combat (aiming, field positioning, and button combinations) in a very reasonable learning incline and a very unique story (how many RPGs have you seen based on Mozart's life)

Star Ocean 4 plays likes a tales of game on semi-auto, but you'll frequently want to switch which character you control in battle to pull off various things. On top of that, the story line cutscenes are way longer than any Tales of cutscenes I recall. Beyond that, everyone else on the thread mentioned about the long plat grind.

If you want a mystery dungeon type game, Guided Fate Paradox is a solid game with a lot of varieties in items, a passable story, and most importantly, the entire u's cast.

If you want a simplified version of Odin's Sphere, try Battle Princess of Arcadias, fairly similar to Odin's Sphere in many aspects but stripped away certain mechanics to make the game more fast paced.

Edited by bladesoframen

A little surprised that Dragon's Crown hasn't been mentioned alongside Muramasa and Odin's Sphere.  IMO, it is by far Vanillaware's best game with a more intricate combat system and deeper RPG elements (though still not that deep) than it's other titles.  For more traditional, anime style RPG's not named Persona, Valkyria Chronicles is my fave of the last two generations.  I know neither of these games are conducive to trophy hunting, but if we only played games for the trophies than we'd be missing out on tons of fantastic titles.

Okay, I decided I will order Ys Memories of Celceta and Atelier Dusk series - 4 new games, and many more good advices here in this thread, that will keep me busy for sure. :D

One last question about the three Atelier Dusk games (which are recommended as good entries by the most people here):

Atelier Ayesha, Atelier Escha & Logy, Atelier Shallie - should I choose the normal or the Plus versions?

Normal..especially for Ayesha. I still have those blasted ultimate bosses to defeat. I wish someone told me the Vita version was more difficult.

Edited by Edunstar84

Dunno if people already did mention. But if you are into first person dungeon crawlers then i can recommend.

Demon Gaze  (vita)

Operation Abyss (vita)

Stranger of Sword City (vita)

Wizardry Labyrinth of Lost Souls (ps 3) and will take 200 h to plat

Normal..especially for Ayesha. I still have those blasted ultimate bosses to defeat. I wish someone told me the Vita version was more difficult.

I didn't tell you? :awesome:

I'm pretty sure I already said that Plus versions are harder somewhere =D

The Vita versions are harder? Hmm, then I'll reconsider taking the PS3 versions... I like playing on a home console more than on a handheld anyway. :P