Good JRPG's for PS3, PS4, Vita

ThiophenSJ

Hey guys,

I'd like to get some advice about good JRPG's from all of you. So, I have always been a fan of JRPG's, I have been playing the Final Fantasy series as well as the Tales of series for years and I liked them (nearly) all. I also loved the Sword Art Online games and I'm looking forward to the third one. And recently I also discovered the Hyperdimension Neptunia series, which also fastly got a top spot in my favorites.

BUT I am the type of gamer who usually sticks to a game series and thus I haven't tried any standalone JRPG's yet, and I want to change that. But the number of potential titles just seems to big for me to pick something. I'm seeing titles like Fairy Fencer F, Odin Sphere, Azure Knight or Trillion God of Destruction as upcoming titles which Amazon recommands me... I'm not even sure if these are all JRPG's, but at least they have anime style covers. :P So yeah, I'm a bit lost here and I hope that you guys and girls might have some good advices that might fit my taste. :D

I know that many JRPG's are big in content, but I'd like some titles which aren't too heavy on grinding for trophies, since Hyperdevotion Noire, which I recently played, really annoyed me on that aspect. The game should have more content than grind please. ;)

I am looking forward to your ideas. :)

Edited by ShadowStefan

Soul Sacrifice (Vita), Ni no Kuni (PS3) and Kingdom Hearts (PS3/PS4) are the three games that immediately come to mind. Soul Sacrifice is a stand-alone ( :( ), but Ni no Kuni is getting a sequel, and Kingdom Hearts... well.. there's a lot of games for that lol.

I just finished Lost Dimension. It was pretty fun. The story is a bit lacking besides the start and end, but it's more gameplay focused. There's no real grind or anything necessary, and if you want to be overleveled it only takes 15-20 minutes of repeating a quick mission. You do have to do 2 playthroughs though, but the 2nd is different enough and has additional things to keep it fresh. You'll have to use external save storage if you want the plat at the end of your second playthrough though. Its maybe 35-40 hours to plat, the trophies are pretty straight forward, and pretty fun.

• Like 1

There have been topics on this before.  I will rely on others in the community to supply you with those links.

Off the top of my head there are Demon Gaze (Vita), Operation Abyss (Vita), Dungeon Travelers 2 (Vita), Stranger in the Sword City (Vita), Conception II (Vita), Mind - 0 (Vita), The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (Vita/PS3), Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita), Criminal Girls (Vita), Sorcery Saga (Vita), Record of Agarest War series (PS3), Tears to Tiara 2 (PS3), Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (VITA PSN), Eiyuu Senki: The World Conquest (PS3 PSN), Battle Princess of Arcadias (PS3 PSN), Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (PS4), Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star (PS3/Vita), and Lost Dimension (Vita/PS3).  Don't forget about Valkyria Chronicles being re-released on PS4 in May.

Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice (PS4) just released and is a jazzed up version of Dragon Fantasy: Book 2 (Vita).  It's fun but it isn't a JRPG. 

Fairy Fencer F is getting a sequel as well and is made by the same people who make the Neptunia games.  The trophies might be grindy.  I've heard good to moderate things about it. I can say the same for Omega Quintet (PS4).

Odin Sphere is a great game but is more of an action RPG than a turn based one.

Most importantly: YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED A GAME FROM THE SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI: PERSONA SERIES.

It is in your best interest to stop reading and go get Persona 4: Golden for Vita at this very moment. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 and 4 are the best JRPGs I've ever played.  Unfortunately Persona 3 does not have trophy support and is available as a PSN classic title.

Edited by Bucknerd
  • Like 4

I know that many JRPG's are big in content, but I'd like some titles which aren't too heavy on grinding for trophies, since Hyperdevotion Noire, which I recently played, really annoyed me on that aspect. The game should have more content than grind please. ;):)

More or less simple formula:

If you want a game with grind, go for Idea Factory-based games. If you want as less grind as possible, avoid them.

Personally I wouldn't recommend Fairy Fencer F (at least the base game for PS3) as it requires some heavy grinding (getting 100 million G), which even takes a lot of time if you purchase the three DLC-dungeons (took me about 10 to 15 hours).

If you want a short JRPG and want a fighting system that's as fun as the one from Xillia (it's just an assumption you like it ;) ), go for Ys: Memories of Celceta. It takes about 30hours (two playthroughs) and it's not too hard.

Edited by crimsonidol-de
  • Like 1

Persona 4 Golden really should vault right up to the very top of your list.  If you love it as much as most that have played it, Persona 3 Portable can also be played on the Vita and is nearly as fantastic (don't let the lack of trophies dissuade you).

• Like 2

The word good does not need to be mentioned, all JRPGs are good :awesome:

As for the answer:

http://psnprofiles.com/SatoshiOokami&completion=all&order=played&pf=vita#content

http://psnprofiles.com/SatoshiOokami&completion=all&order=played&pf=ps3#content

:awesome:

PS4 is still crappy when it comes to JRPGs apart from Type-0 and SAO. You should wait until this year gets into motion =D

In any case, Atelier is what you want =D That should be more than enough to keep you busy =D

Soul Sacrifice is a stand-alone ( :( ),

And is not a JRPG =D

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 1

The word good does not need to be mentioned, all JRPGs are good :awesome:

As for the answer:

http://psnprofiles.com/SatoshiOokami&completion=all&order=played&pf=vita#content

http://psnprofiles.com/SatoshiOokami&completion=all&order=played&pf=ps3#content

:awesome:

PS4 is still crappy when it comes to JRPGs apart from Type-0 and SAO. You should wait until this year gets into motion =D

In any case, Atelier is what you want =D That should be more than enough to keep you busy =D

And is not a JRPG =D

It's an RPG developed by a Japanese studio... So yeah, it is. There aren't any half-dressed school girls, admittedly, but that doesn't define the genre.

Edited by madbuk

And this is the fundamental problem.

It is not RPG. Hunting games are not RPGs.

I would argue that hunting games are a sub-genre of RPG, just like strategy RPG's, hack and slash RPG's, MMORPG's, etc.  It certainly doesn't meet the TC's request for little grinding, but I would still classify it as an RPG.

I would argue that hunting games are a sub-genre of RPG, just like strategy RPG's, hack and slash RPG's, MMORPG's, etc.  It certainly doesn't meet the TC's request for little grinding, but I would still classify it as an RPG.

I may have an old-school way of viewing RPGs, but since you don't upgrade your stats in SS (the only thing that actually raises is your level), I don't think it fits the definition.

• Like 3

Those hunter games are usually a find itself within hack n slash and dungeon crawler (though usually way more open). Hack n slash may or may not be RPG or have RPG elements. :P There's also the dungeon crawler genre, which is definitely a sub genre of RPG. ;o

I think the gameplay is more important. What kind of gameplay is it you're looking for? Battle system? Exploration (open/closed/linear/levels/dungeons etc)? Story important, serious or just joking? Anime? etc etc

Edited by MMDE

JRPG's that aren't particular grindy... I'm having a hard time thinking of many as the two usual come as a package

Time and Eternity could fit trophies are fairly straight forward and imo it's a very enjoyable game.

The Atelier Dusk trilogy could also be a good point in the series to start at as compared to Arland trilogy they are a lot less grindy and time sensitive.

- Ayesha

Escha & Logy

- Shallie

Thanks for your answers everyone. :D A lot more different ideas than I had anticipated, but that's good of course! :)

Anyway, using Google I looked into some of your ideas, especially those that got mentioned more than once.

Persona 4 Golden: Yeah... I heard a lot of good things about this game on this forum before, but I don't know if I'm gonna like it... I didn't like the anime of Persona 4, that's what holding me back.

Kingom Hearts: I have been thinking about this series for years now. One side of me thinks I will love it, since it's partly Final Fantasy, but another side thinks "Really, FF and Disney? Seems like mixing together Fish and Chocolate - it doesn't fit." But I'm using this chance to ask: What exactly is the right order to play these games? There are so many games, and collections with names like 2.5 Collection and 2.8 Collection.

Lost Dimension: This game looks interesting, I will look more into that. :)

I am Setsuna: I will definintely get that when it comes out. :D

Ys: Memories of Celceta: Looks really cool, the screenshots give a feel of Tales of, and crimsonidol-de catched me with comparing it to Tales of Xillia. :awesome:

Atelier series: Seems to be a really big series, I have no idea how I could've overseen that. But reading about the series, the discription says that these games are mostly about getting materials to form new stuff, with alchemy. That sounds... quite boring to be true. :P But there has to be more it, right? How exactly do these games play? Story?

Ni no Kuni: Judging from screenshots, this game's character style doesn't appeal to me at first, but since it has so many good reviews, I will keep it in mind. :)

Odin Sphere: After looking more into it now, this game seems to be a lot like Muramasa The Demon Blade - I played that on Wii and loved it. :D I'm also planning to get Muramasa Rebirth for Vita in the next time.

Ni no Kuni: Judging from screenshots, this game's character style doesn't appeal to me at first, but since it has so many good reviews, I will keep it in mind. :)

As someone who loves JRPG's more than any other genre, and who has platinumed Ni No Kuni, let me just say that Ni No Kuni is one of the worst JRPG's I've ever played. The battle system is just awful. Though, I imagine I'll either be ignored for saying this, or just criticized for not liking it.

Both for PS3:

- Eternal Sonata: simple but beautiful. Very basic RPG title where grinding is not necessary. You have a long cast of playable characters and the battle system is quite different. No trophies, but sure fun.

- Rune Factory - Tides of Destiny: there is a lot to do here apart from the main story. You can craft your weapons, armors, make food, fish, tend to your crops, raise your affection with the NPCs, participate in dated events, capture monsters... This one is quite underrated, maybe because it is a port from Wii, but is a solid title.

Atelier series: Seems to be a really big series, I have no idea how I could've overseen that. But reading about the series, the discription says that these games are mostly about getting materials to form new stuff, with alchemy. That sounds... quite boring to be true. :P But there has to be more it, right? How exactly do these games play? Story?

CUTE GIRLS! :awesome:

Story and unique style of gameplay + time limit =D

Believe me, they are far from boring.

Atelier games are literally the only (except Kiseki) series that haven't bored me at all throughout all plays =D

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Okay, lets start with my recommendations.  For this list I will do my best to limit myself to JRPGs but if I mess up and go into one thats more action or western RPG i do so because it deserves to be played

The Atelier Games are fun I would agree with Satoshi on that.  Of the multitude of them the dusk series is easier as a entry to the game format.  

Rune Factory was fun it is like a mix of an action RPG and Harvest Moon.

I liked Resonance of Fate.  The battle system was unique but I found that I really liked it once I got the hang of it.

Witch and the Hundred Knight was fun (although this also tends towards action-y battle system) it's not everyones cup of tea but i would say give it a shot and decide for yourself

Tears to Tiara II was great but be ready for story.  Strategy RPG but it was about 1.5- 2 hours of cutscenes (if memory serves) between the start of the game and the first battle

Star Ocean... great!... but if you wanna plat its gonna be a grind and a big one at that.  That reminds me I should get back to that.

Record of Argarest War were good but again that'll be a grind

Ys.  Play it.  It's fun.

Persona.  Enough has been said already that I need not add anything.

Legend of Heroes.  Great series I just imported a whole bunch of em (the ones not released in the west) because I liked my first foray into the series so much.  

valkyria chronicles has a re-mastered version coming to PS4.  great game get it when it comes out.  

Ar Tonelico was fun if you can suspend belief enough to tell yourself "It must be true! Less clothing = more power"

Also not a JRPG but visual novel/mystery/adventure game/Pure Awesomeness that you should play would be Virtue's Last Reward for Vita.  Experience this.  You need this in your life.

I have more but I'll stop there for now.  As for your question....

Kingom Hearts: I have been thinking about this series for years now. One side of me thinks I will love it, since it's partly Final Fantasy, but another side thinks "Really, FF and Disney? Seems like mixing together Fish and Chocolate - it doesn't fit." But I'm using this chance to ask: What exactly is the right order to play these games? There are so many games, and collections with names like 2.5 Collection and 2.8 Collection.

Start with the 1.5 collection and play the original Kingdom Hearts first.  The others on the disk are after stories and connections to the later games.

EDIT:  Oh and Nier.  Action RPG but great.

Edited by HatiRagnarsson

Legend of Heroes.  Great series I just imported a whole bunch of em (the ones not released in the west) because I liked my first foray into the series so much.  

You...

HAVE TASTE!

Oh man, I feel so happy seeing so many people diving into Kiseki series... 

I can't even describe how happy it makes me :D

(Now if only everyone realized we have a great Kiseki thread and talked about it there :awesome:)

Edited by Satoshi Ookami