The reason I stick with a console

I never said the PC didn't have an edge in terms of graphics and performance.  I'm just not convinced that the same games that are perfectly playable and look amazing on console, running a bit more fluidly (60fps) with overblown HDR and depth of field mod hooks, are really representative of the "edge" that PC's have.  Considering just how much better the hardware is, and how much more expensive it is, than consoles.

Gaming is an expensive hobby, even on console.  But on PC you're paying a significant premium for 60fps and some goofy poorly optimized third party DirectX hooks that "trick" the game into using filters, maybe some texture mods... assuming the PC port of some of these games even allow for it, or aren't too poorly developed/ported in the first place to handle it (Batman: Arkham Knight, Quantum Break).  I don't doubt it looks better, but I personally don't think it's worth the cost anymore.

It feels like the PC should be pumping out more exclusives that are built from the ground up to take advantage of the very advanced hardware available (like Crysis did back in the day) because they don't have the constraints of console limitations, but they don't.  No one is pushing the envelope.  It's a shame.  I'd love for someone to prove me wrong, but I suspect I'll just get more ENB filter videos. xD

That is a matter of perspective. Whether I agree or disagree with you doesn't matter at all. As there are many people willing to prove that those mods and extra tweaks are in fact, a very noticeable sign of such edge.

It depends on what and where you look and pay for. That significant amount could turn out to be cheap the more years pass. As for the trashy ports, well, that's certainly a problem, especially since that stuff called Arkham Knight came out.

I simply posted those videos to disregard your sentence of Crysis struggling to run on today's PCs. That's all. Next time you put something like that, make sure to back it up. Just a friendly advice.

If we are going to talk about ground breaking exclusives taking advantage of PC hardware and such and such...Ah well, welcome to the business world. It's a shame indeed :facepalm:

I simply posted those videos to disregard your sentence of Crysis struggling to run on today's PCs. That's all. Next time you put something like that, make sure to back it up. Just a friendly advice.

For what it's worth, I got that tidbit from an article in last month's PC Gamer.  While not completely "backed up", I don't think a 17 minute YouTube video without an FPS counter (EDIT: ah there is one, I did see it dip below 60fps though, which is interesting) or listed specs (maybe it's in the video description, didn't care to check) is necessarily evidence to the contrary either.  "Struggling to run" for many PC gamers is dipping in any way from 60fps throughout the games playtime... especially considering dipping below 60fps can have serious ramifications with VSYNC enabled, and especially for a game that old which "should" run flawlessly with a decade's worth of hardware advancements.

It's all a matter of opinion in the end.  I don't want to get into a pissing contest, I'm just speaking as a disgruntled PC gamer that desperately wants to buy into the newest series of NVIDIA graphic cards when they come out in a month or two... but fails to see a good reason to nowadays.

Edited by Dreakon13

Upgrading a PC every 2-3 years does seem a bit too often.

However I can understand your point of view and agree with you to the extent that PC gaming is more expensive. The PS3 was good for about 8 years I think until the PS4 came out and a lot of the games are still released for it. If you tried playing current gen on a decade old PC I doubt it would work. Plus a new PC (or upgrade parts) are more expensive than a new console. The newer graphics cards are well over 400 bucks and then you'd also need new RAM and probably mainboard if you were to upgrade a ten year old PC to current specs.

For what it's worth, I got that tidbit from an article in last month's PC Gamer.  While not completely "backed up", I don't think a 17 minute YouTube video without an FPS counter or listed specs (maybe it's in the video description, didn't care to check) is necessarily evidence to the contrary either.  "Struggling to run" for many PC gamers is dipping in any way from 60fps throughout the games playtime... especially considering dipping below 60fps can have serious ramifications with VSYNC enabled, and especially for a game that old that "should" run flawlessly a decade later.

It's all a matter of opinion in the end.  I don't want to get into a pissing contest, I'm just speaking as a disgruntled PC gamer that desperately wants to buy the newest set of NVIDIA graphic cards when they come out in a month or two... but fails to see a good reason to nowadays.

Um, there is, but is barely noticeable and you would have to read a ton of comments there for that too xD It's like a jigsaw on that one to piece everything up so I understand that you didn't bother. I'm the same.

Me neither. The funny thing is, I wouldn't spend that much money on a gaming PC until I saw a fit catalog of games that both include groundbreaking exclusives and the best versions of games (speaking for multiplatforms).

Um, there is, but is barely noticeable and you would have to read a ton of comments there for that too xD It's like a jigsaw on that one to piece everything up so I understand that you didn't bother. I'm the same.

Me neither. The funny thing is, I wouldn't spend that much money on a gaming PC until I saw a fit catalog of games that both include groundbreaking exclusives and the best versions of games (speaking for multiplatforms).

Yes, I did notice the FPS counter after posting that.

I built my PC more for fun, because I had some money to burn and to challenge myself to research and successfully build one since I really had no clue how PC hardware fit together at the time.  Not really because there were a ton of PC games I wanted, that I couldn't just get for my Playstation.  I got plenty of use out of it (and will continue to), like I said, playing games that the PS3 could barely chug through at 1080P and 60fps was a thrill... but the PS4 has bridged the gap a bit since then, and the PS4k Neo likely will further.

I have a lot of respect for PC gaming, for all the **** I may talk about it when I'm in a mood, but there's a piece missing lately for me.  I'd love for some developer to come out of the woodwork and absolutely dazzle me into buying a NVIDIA GTX 1070... but until then, the Playstation seems to be scratching that itch.  To bring the topic back to the OP, Uncharted 4 is a good example of a developer doing just that.  Dazzling me into going all in (or back in) with a platform. xD

Edited by Dreakon13

Yes, I did notice the FPS counter after posting that.

I built my PC more for fun, because I had some money to burn and to challenge myself to research and successfully build one since I really had no clue how PC hardware fit together at the time.  Not really because there were a ton of PC games I wanted, that I couldn't just get for my Playstation.  I got plenty of use out of it, like I said, playing games that the PS3 could barely chug through at 1080P and 60fps was a thrill... but the PS4 has bridged the gap a bit since then, and the PS4k Neo likely will further.

I have a lot of respect for PC gaming, but there's a piece missing lately for me.  I'd love for some developer to come out of the woodwork and absolutely dazzle me into buying a NVIDIA GTX 1070... but until then, the Playstation seems to be scratching that itch.  To bring the topic back to the OP, Uncharted 4 is a good example of a developer doing just that.  Dazzling me into going all in (or back in) with a platform. xD

It's funny when you realize that the Ps4 is more closely inclined towards an understandable and standard PC hardware than the clusterfuck the Ps3 was. Consoles might definitely continue to bridge the gap with PC. It remains to see if they'll keep their prices though.

I think they will, as it might seem like a huge loss at first, but when the market sees the product is almost the same as a nice PC, they have won. The loss turned out to be an investment with the new sector for sales.

On the other hand, it's interesting to see that in you don't need groundbreaking hardware to make games run very nice. You have to give props to Ps3 for such an achievement in what it was capable to do.

There was a saying that goes: "It doesn't matter if you have the best equipment if you don't know how to fully use it."

That's exclusives doing their work ;) As for me, I'm still up for a gaming PC in the future. Mostly because of torrents and emulators :eyebrow: Oh and when Steam gets nice.

Anyways, U4 is definitely something worth playing. I played all previous three and the evolution in everything was simply to tip the hat for.

You're correct, the unfortunate thing is that the PC will never seem to take advantage of that advanced technology.  Whether you want to say it's laziness, it's not cost effective to develop for the highest end PC's, the "consoles holding PC's back", or "graphics aren't everything man".  It's kind of ironic that the PC has the most powerful hardware... yet it's littered with scaled-back strategy titles (fun as they are) like Civ and Tropico, low impact ARPG's like Diablo, console ports, retro throwbacks and is leading the charge in terms of minimalistic indie titles.

The last time the PC released something that consoles simply couldn't compete with (at the time) was Crysis.  I'd love to see more of it, it might make my investment in the PC more worthwhile, but IMO the PC has been in a rut for the last decade or so.  Where the only real "advantage" over the consoles is if you really like playing multiplatform games with marginally better graphics for a substantially higher price of entry.  Well, that and strategy games, certain ARPG's and MMO's, and indie titles.

Unfortunately for me, the only thing I seemed to care about in my time on PC were multiplatform games that I could've just played on my Playstation (though I did appreciate playing PS3 games at 60fps 1080P with high-res textures) and random bouts of Diablo with friends... but the difference isn't as drastic since the PS4 came around and probably even less so with the impending PS4k Neo, so I'm back to consoles for now.  Partially because PC doesn't really make sense for me anymore, and partially because of exceptional exclusives like Uncharted 4 and (presumably) Detroit: Become Human.

Civilization V is six years old now, so it makes sense that it can run smoothly on computers four-five years old.

I've long considered buying Diablo III: Reaper of Souls for the PS4, since the game's initial release in 2012 it has gone through a series of changes. But I still use my hand me down laptop for Steam and MMOs like Old School Runescape.

I have both Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 on PS4 and don't regret my decision.

Since I'm posting this on a phone I'm going to keep this short.

Not sure your point.  I honestly can't think of one recent game on PC that is "just too advanced" for consoles to handle (outside of input limitations like KB&M oriented strategy titles).  I can think of a lot of games that "look better" maxed out on PC... but is the difference in fidelity equal to the difference in price, or representative of the incredible difference in what the hardware should be able to output?  I guess that's a matter of opinion, but I don't really think so.  Not anymore anyways.

EDIT: Using Crysis as an example, that was a game that even PC's today struggle to run perfectly.  Consoles at the time literally couldn't even touch it, without burning out or flat-out ruining it.  That doesn't really exist much today, if at all.  No one wants to push the envelope anymore.

Current consoles still gotta do a lot of downgrading, but it's just not as apparent. The most heavy stuff the consoles can't even touch.

Edited by MMDE

Current consoles still gotta do a lot of downgrading, but it's just not as apparent. The most heavy stuff the consoles can't even touch.

Again, I'm not questioning that the PC is technically capable of more than console... that's just common sense given the price and power of the hardware available.  I'm questioning if the "less apparent heavy stuff" you're referring to is worth the premium you pay (in time, effort and money) for the privilege.  Though obviously that's a matter of opinion, so we can probably just stop here.

Edited by Dreakon13

For me is enough play with one platform (in my case console). PC gaming is too expensive. It doesen't matter play at 30 or 60 fps, HD or 4K, low details or full. I just want to enjoy with that and play every games who can interest me, exclusive or not. Anyway uncharted it's a big franchise series, if you really want to play get a ps4 now on second hand maybe for saving money and if you don't like playing on console you can re sell it without losing too much ;)

Again, I'm not questioning that the PC is technically capable of more than console... that's just common sense given the price and power of the hardware available.  I'm questioning if the "less apparent heavy stuff" you're referring to is worth the premium you pay (in time, effort and money) for the privilege.  Though obviously that's a matter of opinion, so we can probably just stop here.

If you play a lot of games, it's not more expensive, because the games are generally cheaper. Furthermore, there's more games. And you can do more with it and you'll probably need one anyway, so that alone makes up for the price difference.

If you play a lot of games, it's not more expensive, because the games are generally cheaper. Furthermore, there's more games. And you can do more with it and you'll probably need one anyway, so that alone makes up for the price difference.

Sure, there's more games, but they're generally just cheap indies full of memes or gags or "lol this is so cool look at how shitty this is" type games like Surgeon Sim or I Am Bread.

Whereas consoles you get Gears of War, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, God of War, etc. etc.

Sure, there's more games, but they're generally just cheap indies full of memes or gags or "lol this is so cool look at how shitty this is" type games like Surgeon Sim or I Am Bread.

Whereas consoles you get Gears of War, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, God of War, etc. etc.

Oh? There's a lot of good games too... Just do a little research, and you'll find 'em. And most console games are on PC too, so I'm not sure why you even brought this up. Yes, there's lots of shit, but does that mean there's less good games? :S btw, I usually prefer "indies" to "AAA".

Edited by MMDE

There are ways to spin everything, especially if you're vague and generalize enough.

EDIT: I could argue that secondhand markets exist, digital sales have gotten significantly better in the last few years on console, Steam sales have gotten worse and you'd be a fool to pay more than 50% retail for any released game on any platform.  I could argue that I don't really "need" my desktop anyways... considering I never use it anymore, between my phone and my work laptop.  I could argue desktop PC's are actually becoming rather archaic, and gaming laptops increasingly bloated and unnecessary.  I could argue PC has more games, but the ones actually worth playing tend to start and end up on consoles anyways.  I'd rather not argue though, these are just examples of me spinning the other way.  To which, you'll probably spin it back.

Edited by Dreakon13

There are ways to spin everything, especially if you're vague and generalize enough.

Are games for PC not cheaper or equal price than the same games for consoles pretty much always? Of course there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Just the fact that this is generally true, you'll save money in the long run, depending on how many games you get of course, which I said.

Also, if you need a PC, you may as well invest a bit more, else spent on console, and get a better gaming platform...

If you play online, then you save money on PS+ subscription! That's 50USD a year, which is 150USD in 3 years.

Edited by MMDE

Are games for PC not cheaper or equal price than the same games for consoles pretty much always? Of course there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Just the fact that this is generally true, you'll save money in the long run, depending on how many games you get of course, which I said.

Also, if you need a PC, you may as well invest a bit more, else spent on console, and get a better gaming platform...

If you play online, then you save money on PS+ subscription! That's 50USD a year, which is 150USD in 3 years.

Speaking as someone who relentlessly hunted sales 600+ times for Steam games... you have to do some unsavory things (like go through sketchy key resellers) to consistently get games cheap enough for it to matter.  And with the implementation of region locking on Steam, even that doesn't work as well as it used to.  Games still cost $60 at release, games still take a bit to go on sale and when they do... I guarantee you can find a used PS4 copy of the same game for less (and you get a nice case and manual for your shelf!).  The only difference being that some older games have a lower bottom with Humble Bundles and 90% off sales... but after a while you start to realize it's all the same 20 or so indie, Telltale or Square-Enix games.

Not to mention you can ALWAYS buy games cheaper second hand, while waiting around for a big Steam sale hoping the game you want is one of them or the perfect bundle that may never happen.

Also, no one needs 600+ games... trust me.  After a while, you just lose track of how much money you've burned.

I'd argue against PC being a "better gaming platform".  Even someone as experienced as myself with PC gaming over the last few years, I've had countless more issues getting games to run (and run well) than I ever had on any of the consoles combined.  Whether it's a game not starting because it "requires" a certain graphic driver update, driver updates killing performance for no reason, really anything driver related.  My sound randomly cut out in Quantum Break until I turned it off and back on.  Final Fantasy IX on Steam not picking up my Xbox One controller unless I made sure I turned it on at a certain point while opening it.  Friends unable to play newer games because of obtuse DirectX 11 "requirements" their video cards didn't meet.  Not to mention the waste of time it's been to try and get my PC working through the HDTV in the other room, short of lugging the damn thing into my living room and connecting with an HDMI (which basically renders all those "other things" PC's are great for, useless; since we need one anyways right?).  Just because something looks nicer, doesn't mean it's a better experience.  Consoles are smaller, easier to "lug around" and seem much more capable of "just working".

PC's are great for a lot of things.  Like most of them, gaming conveniently is often an afterthought.  Jack of all trades, master of none.

Again, spin.  Spin, spin, spin.  We can go back and forth for days if we wanted.  We all have our own opinions and preferences.  To try and speak in generalities is moot (albeit entertaining at times).

Edited by Dreakon13

Speaking as someone who relentlessly hunted sales 600+ times for Steam games... you have to do some unsavory things (like go through sketchy key resellers) to consistently get games cheap enough for it to matter.  And with the implementation of region locking on Steam, even that doesn't work as well as it used to.  Games still cost $60 at release, games still take a bit to go on sale and when they do... I guarantee you can find a used PS4 copy of the same game for less (and you get a nice case and manual for your shelf!).  The only difference being that some older games have a lower bottom with Humble Bundles and 90% off sales... but after a while you start to realize it's all the same 20 or so indie, Telltale or Square-Enix games.

Not to mention you can ALWAYS buy games cheaper second hand, while waiting around for a big Steam sale hoping the game you want is one of them or the perfect bundle that may never happen.

Also, no one needs 600+ games... trust me.  After a while, you just lose track of how much money you've burned.

I'd argue against PC being a "better gaming platform".  Even someone as experienced as myself with PC gaming over the last few years, I've had countless more issues getting games to run (and run well) than I ever had on any of the consoles combined.  Whether it's a game not starting because it "requires" a certain graphic driver update, driver updates killing performance for no reason, really anything driver related.  My sound randomly cut out in Quantum Break until I turned it off and back on.  Final Fantasy IX on Steam not picking up my Xbox One controller unless I made sure I turned it on at a certain point while opening it.  Friends unable to play newer games because of obtuse DirectX 11 "requirements" their video cards didn't meet.  Not to mention the waste of time it's been to try and get my PC working through the HDTV in the other room, short of lugging the damn thing into my living room and connecting with an HDMI (which basically renders all those "other things" PC's are great for, useless; since we need one anyways right?).  Just because something looks nicer, doesn't mean it's a better experience.  Consoles are smaller, easier to "lug around" and seem much more capable of "just working".

PC's are great for a lot of things.  Like most of them, gaming conveniently is often an afterthought.  Jack of all trades, master of none.

Again, spin.  Spin, spin, spin.  We can go back and forth for days if we wanted.  We all have our own opinions and preferences.  To try and speak in generalities is moot (albeit entertaining at times).

What Steam has the advantage in is variety. I can literally go and buy games 20+ years old on there (Wolfenstein 3D, Indiana Jones, etc etc), or I can buy up Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. Hell even the new DOOM game that just came out.

But you know, I really don't see the need to buy up Witcher 3 unless I already have a custom desktop or laptop, and even then I would much rather gain trophies than Steam achievements which are almost entirely pointless these days. Sure the game looks better on PC, but there isn't any other advantage besides that.

Strategy games and MMOs are really the only genres PC still excels at. Just posting on my phone, will continue this later.

PC gaming is handmedown all the way.. it's the doghouse of the gaming world. i LOL so hard at every major pc release. pc games aren't cheaper to compensate for the money saved in order to do us a favor.. they are cheaper because most people will download it free anyways, so they must give a price that offers convenience for legal acquisition's sake, so they might save a few sales from the pirate bay.

never could take pc gamers seriously, in almost all regards, i see them as script kiddies and warez leeches. for the most part, game devs use pc gamers as unpaid employees and testers. i mean, they give you direct access to config files, in game console commands and free content [cracked and pirated software] - people game on console to be official, prove [better than pc] their gaming legitimacy, and to compete fairly... people game on PC because they cannot afford an xbone or PS4 or the games, they cannot afford a PS+ or xbone sub, and they cannot afford a large enough TV to make it worth while anways...

What Steam has the advantage in is variety. I can literally go and buy games 20+ years old on there (Wolfenstein 3D, Indiana Jones, etc etc), or I can buy up Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. Hell even the new DOOM game that just came out.

Strategy games and MMOs are really the only genres PC still excels at. Just posting on my phone, will continue this later.

Yeah, it's a matter of personal preference in the end.  Personally... even if I bought those classic older titles, I don't think I've played any of them (if they'd even work on my PC, newer hardware/OS/drivers and whatnot).  And I've never liked strategy games, way too much thinking when I should be "shut down" and relaxing.  Though not everyone is like me. xD

MMO's are actually making a strong push on consoles lately, most of the big ones are here (FFXIV, ESO, etc)... with the exception of the biggest one.

Though I ultimately agree... outside of older games, indie games, strategy games and MMO's... the PC offers little more than a console can, and the consoles have their own exceptional exclusives as well, much more in line with my tastes personally, such as this subforums namesake.  Which is IMO, the premier third person action adventure franchise in recent years.  (Sorry Lara.)

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I am new to console 5 6 months..i have been playing on PC for over 10 years.. and i really was amazed to see me enjoying on ps4 more than on pc..here are reasons why console?

1. In console u can relax and njoy.. u have a big tv screen and everything looks gorgeous primarily because the tv also adds to experience..one can argue that one can njoy same way on desktop but i havnt seen too many big screen with desktop.. also if u are playing on pc especially shooting game.. i cant see one using controller and lying and using keyboard and mouse doznt work that well.. i have tried it..with wireless mouse and keyboard.

2. I have never liked keyboards and mouse for gaming.. they just dont give that feel.. one will argue that with keyboard shooting games become easier which is even true..but trust me playing shooting game on controller is equally enjoyable..shooting games are mostly common games.. and almost all gamers play these.. hence even if you dont want u get bound to the keyboard and mouse.. and even end up playing rpg and action games with keyboard.. which really isnt the way to go with such games.

3. Ofcrs graphics can be far better on desktop.. but it has to be 'maintained' i hate that feeling of changing my gaming exerience every 3rd 4th game.. ie.. i upgraded my pc.. i am playing a game.. at 60 fps ultra setting. Next game(newer game).. ultra setting 50 fps..now i feel no.. 60 is better i go to options downgrade graphics.. return bck..get 60 but still inside me.. there is always that.. why i am not playing this at ultra.

and you start thinking of new upgrade in matter of few months. Consoles are constant with 30 fps.. i know its 30 but when all games are at 30 fps. There is no such feeling and ofcors 30 fps console is realy great as its constant 30.. pc flutuates in fps.. but still 60 fluctuating is better..but question is in how many games it can be maintained and at what graphic settings..for consoles.. graphics are preset by devs.. and u dont have to waste your time experimenting.

4.Pc is for people who can continuously spend.. one can argue that pc games are far cheaper than ps4 and if the money saved on those games is put on upgradation perhaps it not big a deal..so this can be calculated if one wants to know which will better. So cant say that console wins here. But still considering all costs.. from buying of consoles and pc for a gen..i feel consoles will be on the cheaper side.

5 some titles are just awesome on ps4 i think this is already discussed above.

Why pc?

1. Better graphics and fps.. but this has to be maintained.. but continuous upgradation and also depends on how u are affected by these.. changing from 60 to 50 fps and ultra to high setting used to affect me.. if not in gameplay.. in my mind..lolll i wanted things to be perfect if they can..but i am short on money had to come to consoles.

• Like 1

5. one can play pirated games on pc.. for some this is the main reason of prefering pc over consoles..

for basically everyone

and this is one reason that i will forever consider PC gaming the handmedown experience.

$350 on the PS4, $400 on a 55 inch TV, and putting aside the 30+ pages of games in my PSN library from the past year.. just the other day i bought 3 new PS4 games for about $200..

NVIDIA releasing the GTX 1070 at $380.... you can buy pre-packaged desktops at walmart for like $400, 22 inch monitor included.. well there you have it, 800 gets you a great gaming computer, and all you have to do is download the game you feel like playing, because you can do that with any game at any time without ever purchasing anything else (minus some online titles)

average gamer's life cycle goes something like this:

birth

hand held gaming

teens

pc gaming

adult

console gaming

death

if you've reached the adult stage, and still gaming on PC.. i'd strongly suggest you stop it; reanalyze your financial situation, goals in life and move out of your parent's place.

i feel that PC gaming in itself is not where the heart of most PC owners lie.. owning a PC is apart of a much larger, umbrella hobby that involves tinkering with and upgrading technical aspects of your personal computer... this usually meshes well into your career, education and so forth.. you are not just a PC gamer.. this hobby is separate from my views on PC gamers.

I never saw you reply to me.

Anyway, there's been many games that release at launch for a lower price on PC than on consoles. If price matters, then why are you buying at launch? :S If you can afford buying at launch, then you rarely care about the price. You can trade on steam... Digital games aren't second hand on consoles.

Who says you need to buy 600+ games. You mentioned that number..... I'm not arguing for that you should buy shit. Buy the stuff you want to play. There's a better selection... Nobody is saying you must or should buy games you don't like.

So it's a problem that graphics cards gets updated, so they can run new games better?

Or a problem with PC gaming that some games are poorly programmed? Or that things like your console controller doesn't play well with a game that most definitely wasn't made with that controller in mind. By that I mean, try your X360 controller instead, because the X1 controller doesn't work the same way. Super smart move on MS's side. Personally, I just click on the PS button on my PS3 controller to play on PC, and it connects wirelessly. :) That's it, nothing more.

DirectX 11 was released 8 years ago... and DX12 has yet to be fully released.

You can't get your PC to work on a HD TV? Really?! What has been the problem? Not long enough cable? There are ways to extend cables, even after their length limit.

Jack of all trades, master of none? I seriously wasn't convinced it wasn't master of gaming, but hey, tell me what more it's not a master of? What else do you use a PC for that it's not a master of and you've got something better for?

Many of these things aren't opinions and preferences.