MeiQ: Labyrinth of Death - September 13th (NA) & September 16th (EU)

BooneIronshield

First two, maybe three hours are addicting, then it starts to be boring. Battles are very easy, even on hard difficulty. Except for boss battles, which actually are pretty good.

The thing is, most CH games are pretty easy (ignoring Mugen Souls and Omega Quintet), so to keep the games fun, you should through rush the game as fast as possible to keep it a decent challenge.

The thing is, most CH games are pretty easy (ignoring Mugen Souls and Omega Quintet), so to keep the games fun, you should through rush the game as fast as possible to keep it a decent challenge.

That's not that easy. Normal battles are really easy, but boss battles needs a lot of grind, if you just rush through the dungeons.

Btw, here is review of it (only in Polish tho)

https://mypsvpl.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/meiq-labyrinth-of-death/

Edited by Celestia Ludengerg

That's not that easy. Normal battles are really easy, but boss battles needs a lot of grind, if you just rush through the dungeons.

Btw, here is review of it (only in Polish tho)

https://mypsvpl.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/meiq-labyrinth-of-death/

I guess I'll see when I play the game, but looking at the JP trophy list, I'll be grinding a lot for that plat regardless of the difficulty.

Why is there a 30k kill trophy? I don't want a game to compete with SO4 in grind time, but not give access to a turbo controller. Also, the fact that there are only 30 platinum achievers on the jp version scares me to no end.

Now, should I buy EO5 (in JP) and Mary Skelter to kill my need to ever dungeon crawl again.

Edited by bladesoframen

@bladesoframen

I guess I'll see when I play the game, but looking at the JP trophy list, I'll be grinding a lot for that plat regardless of the difficulty.

Why is there a 30k kill trophy? I don't want a game to compete with SO4 in grind time, but not give access to a turbo controller. Also, the fact that there are only 30 platinum achievers on the jp version scares me to no end.

Now, should I buy EO5 (in JP) and Mary Skelter to kill my need to ever dungeon crawl again.

30k kills isn't the issue there. You have to finish the game 2-4 times on different difficulties :P

@bladesoframen

30k kills isn't the issue there. You have to finish the game 2-4 times on different difficulties :P

Wait, are you talking SO4 or MeiQ. 

SO4, usually the 30k kill grind is regarded as way more annoying than beating the game 3-4 times. If you skip all dialogue and PAs, you can beat the game in about 10hrs, even on the higher difficulties, only adding 30 hrs to your playtime, esp with the carry overs from your previous playthroughs. To do the 60k kills, takes 40-80hrs, and is far more boring.

If you're talking about MeiQ, well there is only 1 other dungeon crawler I can recall that had killing requirement, and that is Dungeon Travelers 2. While that game plays much more like Shiren the wanderer than EO, getting the 20k kills was a nightmare because there was no good way to get monsters to spawn, making it just a slow and painful nightmare as you didn't need remotely that much xp to defeat the last boss. For MeiQ, a similar problem will probably occur where people are going to have to find the best hunting spot or be left walking the same hallways for eternity looking for monsters.

Wait, are you talking SO4 or MeiQ. 

SO4, usually the 30k kill grind is regarded as way more annoying than beating the game 3-4 times. If you skip all dialogue and PAs, you can beat the game in about 10hrs, even on the higher difficulties, only adding 30 hrs to your playtime, esp with the carry overs from your previous playthroughs. To do the 60k kills, takes 40-80hrs, and is far more boring.

If you're talking about MeiQ, well there is only 1 other dungeon crawler I can recall that had killing requirement, and that is Dungeon Travelers 2. While that game plays much more like Shiren the wanderer than EO, getting the 20k kills was a nightmare because there was no good way to get monsters to spawn, making it just a slow and painful nightmare as you didn't need remotely that much xp to defeat the last boss. For MeiQ, a similar problem will probably occur where people are going to have to find the best hunting spot or be left walking the same hallways for eternity looking for monsters.

Don't worry about kills in MeiQ. You can buy in shop a lure, that makes monsters comes to you. So this is not an issue here.

Just saying but Wizardry Labyrinth of Lost Souls also had a kill grind trophy but it was 50k kills and iirc the second one (which sadly is JP only) had an even higher  kill requirement than that.

• Like 1

@bladesoframen, yeah, I was talking about MeiQ with those difficulties. Luring enemies isn't a problem. item is one thing, but there is also a gem that does that. If it's equipped, it's a bonanza, every 1-4 steps fight starts :D

If someone likes grinding stuff, the game is definitely designed for them.

Eh, I never go by reviews and I've never regretted it so I'll just decide for myself. I will say that in that first review linked by one of the people who wrote it that it took me a little bit to realize it was multiple people, google translate did not do a very good job with it at all lol.

Has anyone seen if this will be a single trophy list or if it the US version and the EU version will have separate lists like some of IF's other games?

Edited by BooneIronshield

After playing the game a bit and checking the jp trophy list, it looks like you only need to beat the end of the game on the different difficulties, not do the game from the beginning.

Reasons I think this way:

-Multiple people on the jp trophy list did every difficulty lvl about 24 hrs before they got the next one. From what I've seen in the difficulty jump between normal and hard and you telling me that this is a 20hr game, there is no real way for someone to beat this game from the beginning at the highest difficulty level in 24hrs.

-The game never warns you that changing the difficulty level will hurt you in any way during the beginning of the game or in any menu.

-The game awards you a lot of extra xp on the higher diffs.

From what I can conclude, the higher diffs are meant to help you grind to 999, after you reach your limits on your current difficulty. I'll still need to test this, but as hinted above, the difficulty jump between normal and hard is huge. Having the first boss doing 20% of my hp in 1 hit to 80% made the first boss impossible for many levels to come on hard mode. Admittedly on the flip side, normal mode feels mostly like a joke so far, but I'm not that far in the game yet.

After playing the game a bit and checking the jp trophy list, it looks like you only need to beat the end of the game on the different difficulties, not do the game from the beginning.

Reasons I think this way:

-Multiple people on the jp trophy list did every difficulty lvl about 24 hrs before they got the next one. From what I've seen in the difficulty jump between normal and hard and you telling me that this is a 20hr game, there is no real way for someone to beat this game from the beginning at the highest difficulty level in 24hrs.

-The game never warns you that changing the difficulty level will hurt you in any way during the beginning of the game or in any menu.

-The game awards you a lot of extra xp on the higher diffs.

From what I can conclude, the higher diffs are meant to help you grind to 999, after you reach your limits on your current difficulty. I'll still need to test this, but as hinted above, the difficulty jump between normal and hard is huge. Having the first boss doing 20% of my hp in 1 hit to 80% made the first boss impossible for many levels to come on hard mode. Admittedly on the flip side, normal mode feels mostly like a joke so far, but I'm not that far in the game yet.

When you say "normal mode feels like a joke" do you mean its too easy?

Ooo, much wow, maybe Germany is starting to be more tolerant? :D

Actually the rating system has been quite tolerant there for a while now. The two restrictions tend to be excessive violence or cruelty and any form of racist propaganda. Furthermore it probably has the most adequate rating system, when it comes to age restrictions. Assassin's Creed games are USK 16 and not 18, Atelier games and most JRPGS are USK 12 instead of 16 like the PEGI counterpart. If a game isn't rated, usually it's because the publisher doesn't want to bother with it.

Since some of us will start playing the game today, here are a few maps of the red tower. (This is not all of them, and I know the maps aren't complete. However, I do want to start making a small guide for those that want it,)

Red Tower 1st Floor: http://puu.sh/r9AkY/b336b9450b.jpg

Red Tower 2nd Floor: http://puu.sh/r9Atk/956971dc93.jpg

Red Tower 3rd Floor: http://puu.sh/r9AtR/eea264098f.jpg

Red Tower 4th Floor: http://puu.sh/r9Aup/a5d8d32a3e.jpg

Red Tower 5th Floor: http://puu.sh/r9AuI/e6270672b1.jpg

Using puush because I want something temporary for now given how these maps aren't complete.

Is this going to be another grindy game similar to Dungeon Travelers 2? I'm tempted to buy it, but after my experience with the aforementioned game, I'm going to hold off on it for a while.

It's not more grindy than DT2, but more irritaiting for sure. Oh, and if u planning to go for plat, it also will take a couple of time.