Golden Oldies: Dust Off Your Ancient Consoles (event finished)

You managed to pick the one first-gen starter I've never played with (Blastoise)... impressive. Looks pretty nicely balanced, type-wise.

Nah, it's all good. Gengar requires trading (back and forth), but that wouldn't be a big deal as long as my batteries aren't all dead. Which I should definitely check on before this starts, since it's probably been 6+ years since I touched any of them...

Will do.

I thought Gengar was evolve, it said so on bulbapedia at least (I only quickly checked the table for each pokémon, not the text). And yeah, each time I started a Pokémon game I'd check on the Pokélist and see what group I wanted to end up with :) And as for Blastoise... I've got a weakness for the water starters, don't know why but I think those final evolutions are the most awesome of the three every time. It might have to do with me being kind of a water animal myself, I love swimming, scuba diving, seeing water life around me... Didn't know that about myself eighteen-fifteen years ago though, when I first chose Blastoise.

Bit of a bummer that I sold a good portion of my collection and now have them on Vita/3DS instead.

I'll fish around and see what I've got left.

Yeah I'm still pissed at a few of the things I sold. Take your time, last chance to join is September 30 :)

I am tempted to join as I still have my GameBoy Colour, GameBoy Advance SP, and PS1 with all the games :hmm:. If I do join, this is what my list would look like:

1. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS1)
  2. Crash Bandicoot 3 (PS1)
  3. Spyro the Dragon (PS1)
  4. Spyro 2 (PS1)
  5. Spyro Year of the Dragon (PS1)
  6. Rayman (PS1)
  7. Rayman 2 (PS1)
  8. Pokemon Yellow (GBC)
  9. Pokemon Silver (GBC)
  10. Pokemon Ruby (GBA)
  11. Golden Sun (GBA)
  12. Golden Sun The Lost Age (GBA)
Edited by Dragon-Archon

Oh oh!

I still have Crash Bandicoot~

So.. we'll say:

Crash Bandicoot (PS1)

Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS1)

CTR: Crash Team Racing (PS1)

Grand Theft Auto (PS1)

Grand Theft Auto London (PS1)

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (PS1)

Digimon World (PS1)

Golden Sun (GBA)

Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)

Harvest Moon (GB)

Edited by Asvinia
  • Like 1

See if you can make a list for yourself of old games you'd want to play. I might just decide I can add you depending on how many participants we're getting, how much trouble you want to go through to be able to join and how generous I'm feeling :) As said before, I'm really not at home in the PC department and I just tried to think of some rules that would get the PC crowd to join, I don't really know if I'm being fair or not.

I really need to cut some corners here but it might be enough if you are generous.  ^_^

1. Divine Divinity (original release: 2002) 

Steam version supports higher resolutions, that's the only change.

2. Cave Story+ (original release: 2004)

The game allows to set the graphics and soundtrack back to the original, which I'll do for the sake of nostalgia. :D

I don't know if I'll be able to beat this one, by the way, since it's incredibly hard.

3. Heroes of Might and Magic III - HD Edition (original release: 1999)

A quick press on the F1 key turns this the HD graphics back to normal.

Played this one a little 1.5 years ago but I didn't play much so I'm hoping this still counts.

4. Might and Magic VI (original release: 1998)

This is the original as a digital version, this entry might change as I'll have to consult the EA support first to get my Origin account back...

5. Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil (original release: 2004)

Original version.

6. Final Fantasy VIII (PS1 on PSVita) (original release: 1999)

Emulated on the Vita but since it's the Vita it should at least be less of an issue than on a PS4. :P

Told you that I'm cutting corners. :D

(7. Pokemon Leafgreen (original release: 2004))

I still have the GBA cartridge lying around but I can't play it since I had to sell my GBA and my DSLite. If this was accepted I'd emulate it on my PC just for the sake of adding a Pokémon game to my list.

I can take a picture of the cartridge using my Vita if you want proof that I own it. :P

If it counts you can also decide for a challenge for me like picking my team or whatever you can think of.

This list might change a little if I think of another old game that I still own and can play or if I can't get my account back for MM6 but the event doesn't start till the end of September, so I should be fine.

Edited by xFalionx

I am tempted to join as I still have my GameBoy Colour, GameBoy Advance SP, and PS1 with all the games :hmm:. If I do join, this is what my list would look like:

1. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS1)
  2. Crash Bandicoot 3 (PS1)
  3. Spyro the Dragon (PS1)
  4. Spyro 2 (PS1)
  5. Spyro Year of the Dragon (PS1)
  6. Rayman (PS1)
  7. Rayman 2 (PS1)
  8. Pokemon Yellow (GBC)
  9. Pokemon Silver (GBC)
  10. Pokemon Ruby (GBA)
  11. Golden Sun (GBA)
  12. Golden Sun The Lost Age (GBC)

It's definitely a cool list, filled with classics, ashamed to say that of this I only played the Pokémon games (I played a little bit of one of the Crashes, don't know which one but it wasn't a lot anyway). It does seem like a big list that would take up a lot of time though, how many other events are you participating in and how many games have you got on pre-order? Depending on those answers you might want to start with a list of nine and add to it if after a month or two you notice your pace is quick enough.

Oh oh!

I still have Crash Bandicoot~

So.. we'll say:

Crash Bandicoot (PS1)

Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS1)

CTR: Crash Team Racing (PS1)

Grand Theft Auto (PS1)

Grand Theft Auto London (PS1)

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (PS1)

Digimon World (PS1)

Golden Sun (GBA)

Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)

Harvest Moon (GB)

Cool, I'll add you to the main post! Just give a shout if you want to change anything before the event starts.

I really need to cut some corners here but it might be enough if you are generous.  ^_^

1. Divine Divinity (original release: 2002) 

Steam version supports higher resolutions, that's the only change.

2. Cave Story+ (original release: 2004)

The game allows to set the graphics and soundtrack back to the original, which I'll do for the sake of nostalgia. :D

I don't know if I'll be able to beat this one, by the way, since it's incredibly hard.

3. Heroes of Might and Magic III - HD Edition (original release: 1999)

A quick press on the F1 key turns this the HD graphics back to normal.

Played this one a little 1.5 years ago but I didn't play much so I'm hoping this still counts.

4. Might and Magic VI (original release: 1998)

This is the original as a digital version, this entry might change as I'll have to consult the EA support first to get my Origin account back...

5. Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil (original release: 2004)

Original version.

6. Final Fantasy VIII (PS1 on PSVita) (original release: 1999)

Emulated on the Vita but since it's the Vita it should at least be less of an issue than on a PS4. :P

Told you that I'm cutting corners. :D

(7. Pokemon Leafgreen (original release: 2004))

I still have the GBA cartridge lying around but I can't play it since I had to sell my GBA and my DSLite. If this was accepted I'd emulate it on my PC just for the sake of adding a Pokémon game to my list.

I can take a picture of the cartridge using my Vita if you want proof that I own it. :P

If it counts you can also decide for a challenge for me like picking my team or whatever you can think of.

This list might change a little if I think of another old game that I still own and can play or if I can't get my account back for MM6 but the event doesn't start till the end of September, so I should be fine.

Well, you're on six without Pokémon Leafgreen so you have (just) enough anyway and it doesn't matter but I don't think I'll allow console/handheld emulation on PC. I know emulation already existed back in the day but I'm really looking for the actual experience here, which is why I'll allow downloading DOS games (which still gives you a DOS game on a computer) and not NES emulation through the Wii.

Seeing as we're not doing this for any prize or something and you seem to really want to play some older games along with us, I think I can just add you with a side note or something :) like "computer does not 100% qualify but he really wants to join us" or something, or just separate the PC crowd from the console/handheld crowd or something. Nostalgia is different for everyone, The younger people will be nostalgic about the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox or even the PS3/Wii/X360 already (or a few years from now). My main point with cutting off at the line between fifth and sixth generation was that in my eyes, during the sixth generation the graphics started to become too advanced for a full nostalgia feel. I'll restate at this point that I don't know much about PC gaming since I only ever did classic DOS games on there and Rollercoaster Tycoon 1-3 (though I am playing a bit on Steam at the moment, most is retro though like Papers Please), so I really don't know what measurements for PC would be fair to use.

I've mentioned a few games to NetEntity, I'll repeat them here for your consideration, you may feel like downloading a few of those. Just to get you farther away from the turn of the millennium :)

Do any of these sound appealing? Dinosaur Predator (freeware/shareware), Tom & Jerry: Cat-astrophe, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Day Of The Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit The Road, Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis. For those last three, yeah you can use the talkie versions, I think they're much better that way and the talkie versions are old as well.

I would like to join, but I'd have no idea what to play really, my backlog is pretty terrible.

1. Which consoles/handhelds and games do you already own?
  2. Does not have to be backlog, you can have completed them before. You just have to not have played them in a while (ideally at least not for the last two years)
  3. Do you have an old PC so we can point you to some DOS games, if you can't get far enough with consoles/handhelds?

Well, you're on six without Pokémon Leafgreen so you have (just) enough anyway and it doesn't matter but I don't think I'll allow console/handheld emulation on PC. I know emulation already existed back in the day but I'm really looking for the actual experience here, which is why I'll allow downloading DOS games (which still gives you a DOS game on a computer) and not NES emulation through the Wii.

Seeing as we're not doing this for any prize or something and you seem to really want to play some older games along with us, I think I can just add you with a side note or something :) like "computer does not 100% qualify but he really wants to join us" or something, or just separate the PC crowd from the console/handheld crowd or something. Nostalgia is different for everyone, The younger people will be nostalgic about the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox or even the PS3/Wii/X360 already (or a few years from now). My main point with cutting off at the line between fifth and sixth generation was that in my eyes, during the sixth generation the graphics started to become too advanced for a full nostalgia feel. I'll restate at this point that I don't know much about PC gaming since I only ever did classic DOS games on there and Rollercoaster Tycoon 1-3 (though I am playing a bit on Steam at the moment, most is retro though like Papers Please), so I really don't know what measurements for PC would be fair to use.

Nostalgia is a really loose concept. I for example turn 20 this month and when I was 4 I already used to play emulated NES games and SNES games on my PC because we never had those consoles and that kind of emulation was possible at that time so even the concept of emulation feels nostalgic to me whereas it might be something relatively modern for another person. If you have a quick google image search for all of my titles, they are all games that feel like they are from the SNES era with Final Fantasy 8 being the most graphically advanced. PC games really are a difficult thing to judge since especially in the early days of customizable PCs games really used to flactuate in terms of graphical quality. I can understand that you wanna keep it to the fifth generation but my games should at least capture the feel of the 5th generation and those prior to it.

I'd be glad if you could add me and I don't mind a note saying that I'm not legit.

Also, if you're playing retro PC games recently I would advise you to get Divine Divinity once it's on sale for 1$ again on steam. But since I can see from the other thread that you aren't that into open world games this might not be the best game for you. It does have a lengthy story to lead you through the game but you have the choice to fully explore the world on your own. I know you aren't supposed to spend money because of the financial year challenge but this is one of my alltime favorites and it fits your description quite well.  

Edited by xFalionx

Nostalgia is a really loose concept. I for example turn 20 this month and when I was 4 I already used to play emulated NES games and SNES games on my PC because we never had those consoles and that kind of emulation was possible at that time so even the concept of emulation feels nostalgic to me whereas it might be something relatively modern for another person. If you have a quick google image search for all of my titles, they are all games that feel like they are from the SNES era with Final Fantasy 8 being the most graphically advanced. PC games really are a difficult thing to judge since especially in the early days of customizable PCs games really used to flactuate in terms of graphical quality. I can understand that you wanna keep it to the fifth generation but my games should at least capture the feel of the 5th generation and those prior to it.

I'd be glad if you could add me and I don't mind a note saying that I'm not legit.

Also, if you're playing retro PC games recently I would advise you to get Divine Divinity once it's on sale for 1$ again on steam. But since I can see from the other thread that you aren't that into open world games this might not be the best game for you. It does have a lengthy story to lead you through the game but you have the choice to fully explore the world on your own. I know you aren't supposed to spend money because of the financial year challenge but this is one of my alltime favorites and it fits your description quite well.  

Yeah nostalgia is a fickle thing...

I'm going to think about it. I also now see that your FF8 is actually on the Vita, which I kind of don't want to allow (not allowing PS1 games on PS3 either) and I feel like using Steam is not really how this event is supposed to go as well - some of those titles even have Steam achievements... Could you add some DOS games to your list from before 1998?

And I am into open world games, I just find it hard to complete them before i get distracted/bored :)

Yeah nostalgia is a fickle thing...

I'm going to think about it. I also now see that your FF8 is actually on the Vita, which I kind of don't want to allow (not allowing PS1 games on PS3 either) and I feel like using Steam is not really how this event is supposed to go as well - some of those titles even have Steam achievements... Could you add some DOS games to your list from before 1998?

And I am into open world games, I just find it hard to complete them before i get distracted/bored :)

Well, the oldest physical game I still have left and can play is The Sims Deluxe from 2006 which already looks more like an early PS2 title than something that would run on a PS1, so I'm pretty much bound to the current standard of digital media.

As for FF8, I can replace that with I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream which is a point and click adventure from 1995. I meant to play that a while ago but I never got to it.

Can't do anything about Steam achievements but they're mostly really basic like "Complete campaign 1", Complete campaign 2" and so on and since the game looks and sounds like the original, the few useless Steam achievements that pop up in the corner shouldn't be that much of a problem in terms of nostalgia.

Well, the oldest physical game I still have left and can play is The Sims Deluxe from 2006 which already looks more like an early PS2 title than something that would run on a PS1, so I'm pretty much bound to the current standard of digital media.

As for FF8, I can replace that with I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream which is a point and click adventure from 1995. I meant to play that a while ago but I never got to it.

Can't do anything about Steam achievements but they're mostly really basic like "Complete campaign 1", Complete campaign 2" and so on and since the game looks and sounds like the original, the few useless Steam achievements that pop up in the corner shouldn't be that much of a problem in terms of nostalgia.

I don't mind them being digital,  many dos games can be obtained through download on DOSgames.com or DOSgamesarchive.com or wherever, I'm just having trouble with having actual achievements in an event that tries to prevent you from getting achievements/trophies. I'm fine with having donwloaded DOS and even SCUMMVM games in the event but I think Steam games should be in more of a regular "retro" event, I'm trying to be a bit more constricting than that here.

Come to think of it, someone else starting a regular "retro" event alongside this one might not be a bad idea. That way people with PS2 emulation on PS4 and Steam or other retro games can join the fun, and this event can stay a bit more pure. I'll probably even join myself, with from the top of my head at least Duke Nukem 3D and Star Wars Bounty Hunter stil being in my backlog.

Edited by BillyHorrible

I don't mind them being digital,  many dos games can be obtained through download on DOSgames.com or DOSgamesarchive.com or wherever, I'm just having trouble with having actual achievements in an event that tries to prevent you from getting achievements/trophies. I'm fine with having donwloaded DOS and even SCUMMVM games in the event but I think Steam games should be in more of a regular "retro" event, I'm trying to be a bit more constricting than that here.

Come to think of it, someone else starting a regular "retro" event alongside this one might not be a bad idea. That way people with PS2 emulation on PS4 and Steam or other retro games can join the fun, and this event can stay a bit more pure. I'll probably even join myself, with from the top of my head at least Duke Nukem 3D and Star Wars Bounty Hunter stil being in my backlog.

That's actually a nice idea. I think I'll open my own thread about general retro games then as I clearly don't make your cut. I always wanted to start an event of my own anyways.

That way you can also enforce your rules more strictly without having to exclude people from taking part in a retro event by just sending them to my thread. :D

• Like 1

That's actually a nice idea. I think I'll open my own thread about general retro games then as I clearly don't make your cut. I always wanted to start an event of my own anyways.

That way you can also enforce your rules more strictly without having to exclude people from taking part in a retro event by just sending them to my thread. :D

Sounds like a plan. Let me know when you have made it, I'll add a link in my main post.

It's definitely a cool list, filled with classics, ashamed to say that of this I only played the Pokémon games (I played a little bit of one of the Crashes, don't know which one but it wasn't a lot anyway). It does seem like a big list that would take up a lot of time though, how many other events are you participating in and how many games have you got on pre-order? Depending on those answers you might want to start with a list of nine and add to it if after a month or two you notice your pace is quick enough.

Thanks :D, those are my favourite games. I also have some other games that I could never finish back then, like Jurassic Park The Lost Word, Croc 2, Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, and Ninja Shadow of Darkness (all are for PS1). This might be a good time to revisit them and finally finish the game :hmm:.

I'm currently doing the Let's Finish Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment event and hosting a few others, but not participating in those. As for pre-orders: only Persona 5, which will be released on February 14 2017.

I recommend those games, the PS1 games are available on the PS Store (usually for next to nothing) and they're great.

Thanks :D, those are my favourite games. I also have some other games that I could never finish back then, like Jurassic Park The Lost Word, Croc 2, Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, and Ninja Shadow of Darkness (all are for PS1). This might be a good time to revisit them and finally finish the game :hmm:.

I'm currently doing the Let's Finish Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment event and hosting a few others, but not participating in those. As for pre-orders: only Persona 5, which will be released on February 14 2017.

I recommend those games, the PS1 games are available on the PS Store (usually for next to nothing) and they're great.

Yeah I know games from back then I could never finish - Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park: The Chaos Continues, Castlevania IV... I have put two of those on my list :)

Just shout if you want me to add you. Seeing as you're only participating in one other event and your pre-order is for after the event, 12 games might not be too much but it's up to you in the end if you participate and with which games.

P.S. to all: I've now added to my games list whether I played/finished them or not. I thought that could be a fun factoid but don't feel obligated to do the same. You'll also notice I never actually finished Link To The Past... Didn't mention that in the list above because with Link it was not an issue of it being too hard, but just about the game being too big for me to get through before getting distracted by other games.

Is your monitor old as well? :)

The GBA has had games released until 2007 and the latest handheld revision (GB Micro) in 2005 so I think we can allow a computer from 2004, as long as you're not using top notch screens and accesoires and such. I don't really know how to judge this since I have my SNES on an HD television as well but you really want to get into the event so I think I'll just say okay :) I will have some thoughts about your games to play though... Do any of these sound appealing? Dinosaur Predator (freeware/shareware), Tom & Jerry: Cat-astrophe, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Day Of The Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit The Road, Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis. For those last three, yeah you can use the talkie versions, I think they're much better that way and the talkie versions are old as well.

I'll take Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max. I haven't read the Hitchhiker, and don't feel like playing Indiana's games at the moment.

Now then, for my other games...

Discworld (1995)

Discworld 2: Missing, Presumed...!? (1996)

Messiah (2000)

Asterix and Obelix: XXL (2004)

I think I'll limit myself to these, as I also have Star Ocean 4 (and after I'll get that plat, all these Tales and Silent Hill games) to worry about. Better to not bury myself in too many games, or I'll won't be able to handle it (and because Falionx's thread will most likely enable me to utilize all the games from my retro backlog, I'll come running there as soon as it'll be up). 

Oh, and my monitor is 10 years old LCD, is it too modern or will do? 

So many threads, will be difficult to remember what to type where.  :D

Edited by NetEntity

I'll take Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max. I haven't read the Hitchhiker, and don't feel like playing Indiana's games at the moment.

Now then, for my other games...

Discworld (1995)

Discworld 2: Missing, Presumed...!? (1996)

Messiah (2000)

Asterix and Obelix: XXL (2004)

I think I'll limit myself to these, as I also have Star Ocean 4 (and after I'll get that plat, all these Tales and Silent Hill games) to worry about. Better to not bury myself in too many games, or I'll won't be able to handle it (and because Falionx's thread will most likely enable me to utilize all the games from my retro backlog, I'll come running there as soon as it'll be up). 

Oh, and my monitor is 10 years old LCD, is it too modern or will do? 

Added you to the list, decided to sort us on console/handheld gamers and PC gamers.

I actually tried to play Discworld but I was too young at the time and never managed to get out of the starting room xD

A decade seems old enough for the monitor. It's not CRT, but it will do :) just making sure you didn't have any current-decade high-quality gaming peripherals.

And yeah I'm waiting on Falion's thread as well, these events are great for getting me to play different games.

I actually tried to play Discworld but I was too young at the time and never managed to get out of the starting room xD

And yeah I'm waiting on Falion's thread as well, these events are great for getting me to play different games.

Lucky you, some puzzles further there are the greatest examples of moon logic I've seen. Waking up the Luggage in the first room is the easiest thing ever compared to some of these.

I just hope I'll be able to play all these games, with SO4 grind, constant checklist rewriting and IRL stuff (gotta study, study, study all over again) weighing me down. 

Edited by NetEntity

Cool, I'll add you to the main post! Just give a shout if you want to change anything before the event starts.

I've mentioned a few games to NetEntity, I'll repeat them here for your consideration, you may feel like downloading a few of those. Just to get you farther away from the turn of the millennium :)

1. Which consoles/handhelds and games do you already own?
  2. Does not have to be backlog, you can have completed them before. You just have to not have played them in a while (ideally at least not for the last two years)
  3. Do you have an old PC so we can point you to some DOS games, if you can't get far enough with consoles/handhelds?

http://backloggery.com/snowsakura

here's my list, but I haven't finished adding to it

If it's too much chaos we might find a solution along the lines of discuss anything older than X in thread 1 and anything newer than X in thread 2. But for now I'm feeling positive. :D

The thread is up now. Have fun playing some newer retro games.  ^_^

If I could get like 1 recommendation per system, that would make things a lot easier

I'd suggest the following:

Super Mario 64

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (mostly for the incredibly amazing OST. :D)

Lufia 2

Castlevania Symphony of the Night

And if you wanna participate in my event, too:

Persona 3 FES

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Dissidia Duodecim 012

I'd suggest the following:

Super Mario 64

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (mostly for the incredibly amazing OST. :D)

Lufia 2

Castlevania Symphony of the Night

And if you wanna participate in my event, too:

Persona 3 FES

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Dissidia Duodecim 012

I've already beaten SoTN, unless you're talking about the sega saturn version, and I've beaten FES and Thousand Year Door

If it's too much chaos we might find a solution along the lines of discuss anything older than X in thread 1 and anything newer than X in thread 2. But for now I'm feeling positive. :D

The thread is up now. Have fun playing some newer retro games.  ^_^

Cool! I'll put it in my main post and see if your rules allow me to join myself.

If I could get like 1 recommendation per system, that would make things a lot easier

Okie-dokie... You've got all these as real consoles by the way? I'm impressed...

Here's a few recomendations, just things I've played myself.

Sega Mega Drive:  Sonic The Hedgehog

SNES: Mega Man X, Sim City, all Marios, all Star Wars

N64: Goldeneye and Mario

Sega Saturn: Command & Conquer (haven't played this one but I like the series)

Sega CD: Sonic CD (haven't played this one but it's supposed to be as enjoyable as other early entries in the series)

I've already beaten SoTN, unless you're talking about the sega saturn version, and I've beaten FES and Thousand Year Door

Don't know the FES and Dissidia but Thousand Year Door is too new, no GameCube allowed here :)

I saw Symphony Of The Night in the Saturn list, didn't mention it because I haven't played it myself but it's supposed to be good, I've put Castlevania IV on my own list myself.

Woops, I got confused by the icons and took it that this was your unfinished backlog.  :)

Then I'd say:

Tales of Destiny (PS1)

and again, in case you want to join my event as well:

GTA Vice City (Xbox)

Okage Shadow King (PS2) (I heard this games was supposed to be a hidden gem)

Don't know the FES and Dissidia but Thousand Year Door is too new, no GameCube allowed here :)

I saw Symphony Of The Night in the Saturn list, didn't mention it because I haven't played it myself but it's supposed to be good, I've put Castlevania IV on my own list myself.

Like I wrote, I also wanted to give suggestions for some of the newer consoles in case Sakura also wants to join my event with a few games.

Edited by xFalionx