Golden Oldies: Dust Off Your Ancient Consoles (event finished)

Cool! I'll put it in my main post and see if your rules allow me to join myself.

Okie-dokie... You've got all these as real consoles by the way? I'm impressed...

Here's a few recomendations, just things I've played myself.

Sega Mega Drive:  Sonic The Hedgehog

SNES: Mega Man X, Sim City, all Marios, all Star Wars

N64: Goldeneye and Mario

Sega Saturn: Command & Conquer (haven't played this one but I like the series)

Sega CD: Sonic CD (haven't played this one but it's supposed to be as enjoyable as other early entries in the series)

Don't know the FES and Dissidia but Thousand Year Door is too new, no GameCube allowed here :)

I saw Symphony Of The Night in the Saturn list, didn't mention it because I haven't played it myself but it's supposed to be good, I've put Castlevania IV on my own list myself.

I've already beaten Mega Man X and the marios on the snes, but I could try sim city and the super star wars. Anything with a U next to the name means I haven't played it, and the B means it's been beaten.

If it's too much chaos we might find a solution along the lines of discuss anything older than X in thread 1 and anything newer than X in thread 2. But for now I'm feeling positive. :D

The thread is up now. Have fun playing some newer retro games.  ^_^

Woopsie... So I actually can't get any farther than this:

Duke Nukem 3D (PS3 port of 1996 DOS game)

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter (2002 PS2 game emulated on PS4)

Super Star Wars (1992 SNES game re-released for PS4)

and Super Star Wars isn't even a backlog game for me :) For the rest, I could add some SCUMMVM but that would fit in my event as well and I could do some SNES emulation on PC of games I don't have IRL but that would feel weird seeing as I'm on the actual SNES right now.

Anyone willing to create an event for new retro games like Super Meat Boy and Fez? :lol:

Good luck on your event, I'll see if I can think of anything to add to my list.

Woopsie... So I actually can't get any farther than this:

Duke Nukem 3D (PS3 port of 1996 DOS game)

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter (2002 PS2 game emulated on PS4)

Super Star Wars (1992 SNES game re-released for PS4)

and Super Star Wars isn't even a backlog game for me :) For the rest, I could add some SCUMMVM but that would fit in my event as well and I could do some SNES emulation on PC of games I don't have IRL but that would feel weird seeing as I'm on the actual SNES right now.

Anyone willing to create an event for new retro games like Super Meat Boy and Fez? :lol:

Good luck on your event, I'll see if I can think of anything to add to my list.

I might wanna emphasize that in my thread but since your event only includes games that are eligible for my event you can just participate using the same list. Just expand your current list using the games you've listed in this post and you'll have a list of 14 games for my event.

Edited by xFalionx

I might wanna emphasize that in my thread but since your event only includes games that are eligible for my event you can just participate using the same list. Just expand your current list using the games you've listed in this post and you'll have a list of 14 games for my event.

Nah that's no fun, that just means double posting for the sake of 1.5 events. I'll see if I can add three games somehow.

Nah that's no fun, that just means double posting for the sake of 1.5 events. I'll see if I can add three games somehow.

I might need to think of some kind of workaround for that, then since I also intended my event for people of your event that wanted to play 1 or 2 more modern retro games in addition to your really old-school stuff. 

For example we could fix that by stating that members of both challenges can post their updates relevant to your thread in there while keeping the updates that are only relevant to my thread to the retro rampage event. That way people would only have to post their update once.

Well, let's see how the situation is looking in a few days.

I might need to think of some kind of workaround for that, then since I also intended my event for people of your event that wanted to play 1 or 2 more modern retro games in addition to your really old-school stuff. 

For example we could fix that by stating that members of both challenges can post their updates relevant to your thread in there while keeping the updates that are only relevant to my thread to the retro rampage event. That way people would only have to post their update once.

Well, let's see how the situation is looking in a few days.

Don't know if you want this (or already mean this) but people who qualify for my event could perhaps qualify for yours with less games ( three for instance ;) ). Is that wat you mean with your first sentence?

Don't know if you want this (or already mean this) but people who qualify for my event could perhaps qualify for yours with less games ( three for instance ;) ). Is that wat you mean with your first sentence?

Basically yes, since they are already playing 6 or more games that would qualify for my event anyways.

So technically even if they were to add no games to the list of your event they could still join for some extra discussion.

I also tried to phrase the rules in a way that allows anyone who already participates here to join my challenge as well without needing to change anything if they wanted to.

Edited by xFalionx

Basically yes, since they are already playing 6 or more games that would qualify for my event anyways.

So technically even if they were to add no games to the list of your event they could still join for some extra discussion.

I also tried to phrase the rules in a way that allows anyone who already participates here to join my challenge as well without needing to change anything if they wanted to.

Don't know if that's a really good idea since that just means doing one event and posting for two. I'd say that people participating in this event can enter yours with fewer games is a better rule, entering with no extra games at all means it's not a full event any more.

Don't know if that's a really good idea since that just means doing one event and posting for two. I'd say that people participating in this event can enter yours with fewer games is a better rule, entering with no extra games at all means it's not a full event any more.

Yeah, you're right I've changed the section regarding your thread to say that you are required to add at least 1 game to the list from this thread and are free to post your updates regarding each game in the relevant thread as I'll be checking both.

Yeah I know games from back then I could never finish - Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park: The Chaos Continues, Castlevania IV... I have put two of those on my list :)

Just shout if you want me to add you. Seeing as you're only participating in one other event and your pre-order is for after the event, 12 games might not be too much but it's up to you in the end if you participate and with which games.

Sure, I'll think about it.

Just noticed you live in The Netherlands too. I used to live in Zoetermeer for years :lol:.

Sure, I'll think about it.

Just noticed you live in The Netherlands too. I used to live in Zoetermeer for years :lol:.

With the danger of going really off topic: Yeah the missus and I moved here last year, it's the first rpoperty we own instead of rent. Really like it since it has all the shops a city has but it's as quiet as a small town. And you can get everywhere quickly (if you have a car).

Well you're on 77 posts so it's not like you never posted, I picked 100 kind of at random really. If you have some old titles and you want to join then by all means do, we'll get you past 100 during the event then ;)

Cool beans! First, I'll need to hook up my intended consoles to my old 20" tube-TV since the 27" one stopped working. Gotta make sure the TV and the consoles still work; it's been long enough since any of them have been turned on that I know I'm safe for the "haven't played in at least two years" rule.  Once I've done that, then I'll feel more secure about committing to this event.

Without actually looking at my games, I've thought of at least five Sega Genesis games I'd want to play, plus one each of SNES, Sega Saturn, and Sony PS.  So it looks like maybe I can bring a little balance to the consoles :)  I'll try to pick another Saturn and maybe a Sega Game Gear game.

• Like 1

Cool beans! First, I'll need to hook up my intended consoles to my old 20" tube-TV since the 27" one stopped working. Gotta make sure the TV and the consoles still work; it's been long enough since any of them have been turned on that I know I'm safe for the "haven't played in at least two years" rule.  Once I've done that, then I'll feel more secure about committing to this event.

Without actually looking at my games, I've thought of at least five Sega Genesis games I'd want to play, plus one each of SNES, Sega Saturn, and Sony PS.  So it looks like maybe I can bring a little balance to the consoles :)  I'll try to pick another Saturn and maybe a Sega Game Gear game.

Tube television... that's hardcore!

Good luck on trying them all, here's hoping it all still works. Most of the old consoles are built to last though.

I'm down, but won't be posting much.

I bought another Xperia Play a week or two back and am getting into the PS1 emulator so I'll be replaying a bunch of PS1 games, and since the only thing that phone's good for is emulating, I'll probably down a fair few Genesis and SNES games too. 

I'm down, but won't be posting much.

I bought another Xperia Play a week or two back and am getting into the PS1 emulator so I'll be replaying a bunch of PS1 games, and since the only thing that phone's good for is emulating, I'll probably down a fair few Genesis and SNES games too. 

Sorry but emulation is not allowed for this event, it is for the physical consoles. There is a sister event that allows emulation though: Retro Rampage.

That's a whole lot of rules :o. I won't be participating but it looks like a very interesting event. Good luck to all the participants!

It's not THAT many rules, right? Most of them are fairly common and the event specific ones are all connected.

Sorry but emulation is not allowed for this event, it is for the physical consoles. There is a sister event that allows emulation though: Retro Rampage.

It's not THAT many rules, right? Most of them are fairly common and the event specific ones are all connected.

I read all the rules then, skipped over them last time and mostly just wanted to pop up on yours for a change :P

I still have a decent stack of actual disc PS1 games too I could do for this, but most of them I've played in the last 2 years, that's what kills me from it to be honest. Suppose I could bust out my Game Boy or something, but oh well.

I'll just lurk then, cheers!

I've played through Donkey Kong Country 1 now so come the event, I'll be ready for 2 and 3.

I read all the rules then, skipped over them last time and mostly just wanted to pop up on yours for a change :P

I still have a decent stack of actual disc PS1 games too I could do for this, but most of them I've played in the last 2 years, that's what kills me from it to be honest. Suppose I could bust out my Game Boy or something, but oh well.

I'll just lurk then, cheers!

Bust out the Game Boy, bust out the Game Boy!

Also, it doesn't have to be backlog games. Having completed them already is fine, just not in the last two years (arbitrary rule to get you to do something else from what you've been doing before).

I'm being a bit inactive these days in gaming and on the forum. It's a combination of mood, warm weather, having gamed a lot in the past weeks/months and having a lot of other stuff I want to do - for instance yesterday I went to the zoo and afterwards to the cinema so I wasn't home at all.

I will get back to gaming, planning on doing Journey today actually, and I'll probably get more active again a few weeks from now if I know myself (and I do).

I'm keeping track of the threads of events which I'm in though, and wanted to drop an extra line in here since I'm the creator of this event: don't worry, even though I'm not active that much now, the event will go ahead as planned. It's just a phase, it's not like I've quit altogether. I'll probably start gaming more a few weeks from now, come october I have more spare time and the weather won't be as nice as it is now so I'll be inside more with less to do.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Yeah my idea was to restart at the beginning regardless of where you may have ended in the game years ago.

I'm going to need to rethink my list a little, then. I got stuck in Zelda ages ago and I'm pretty sure I got all the upgrades I could up to that point... Don't really want to dump that and start over.

Thanks.  :)

Swap for Pokemon Silver, if that's okay?

Edited by SyIaris