Golden Oldies: Dust Off Your Ancient Consoles (event finished)

From the sound of things, you may want to specifically add PS2 and Nintendo DS to your exclusion list? They're backwards compatible and can play most PS1 discs/GBA carts, respectively. Honestly can't remember if the DS can play GB/C stuff.

Either way, interesting event. Good luck with it, and hope everyone has fun!

I really wish I hadn't just moved and didn't have all my crap packed away in boxes in my basement. Although the bulk of my backlog is PSP/PS2/PS3 games, I have a metric shitload of older titles I need to get to soon.

I like the idea. I'll have to make time to do my own personal version later!

Alas, I have not enough posts to join. Great idea, though! :D

:hmm: Maybe I'll just do it anyway...

Well you're on 77 posts so it's not like you never posted, I picked 100 kind of at random really. If you have some old titles and you want to join then by all means do, we'll get you past 100 during the event then ;)

From the sound of things, you may want to specifically add PS2 and Nintendo DS to your exclusion list? They're backwards compatible and can play most PS1 discs/GBA carts, respectively. Honestly can't remember if the DS can play GB/C stuff.

Either way, interesting event. Good luck with it, and hope everyone has fun!

Yeah I did intend to not allow backwards compatibility on later consoles/handhelds, purely to focus on the actual old machines. Would you have a list if I did allow backwards compatibility for physical games of the allowed generations?

I really wish I hadn't just moved and didn't have all my crap packed away in boxes in my basement. Although the bulk of my backlog is PSP/PS2/PS3 games, I have a metric shitload of older titles I need to get to soon.

I like the idea. I'll have to make time to do my own personal version later!

Good luck, let me know if you decide to join us anyway.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Yeah I did intend to not allow backwards compatibility on later consoles/handhelds, purely to focus on the actual old machines. Would you have a list if I did allow backwards compatibility for physical games of the allowed generations?

I got into gaming a bit late for this (GBC and PS2 were my first systems), so I'm low on games that would fit. Assuming this is "backlog" and not "replay all your Pokemon games again, lulz", backwards compatability would take me from four to six.

Not intended as an entry, just a list:

• Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (GBC)
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords (GBA)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials to Glory: World Championship Tournament 2005 (GBA)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Destiny Board Traveler (GBA)
  • Dance Dance Revolution Konamix (PS1 BC)
  • The Legend of Dragoon (PS1 BC)

All but the Yu-Gi-Oh titles have been played to some degree - picked those up recently. No big deal, though, I'm under your post count and the no-BC rules; I won't ask you to break them for me.

Theoretically, there's an N64 with two games floating around somewhere, but with how long it's been lost, I think it was mistakenly thrown out/swiped.

The big backlog numbers start a generation later, of course, since Gamestop majorly discounted a bunch of them a while back. Not sure how many VC titles I have in the mix of things, but there're quite a few of those as well; I'm doing a really good job of juuust being ineligible.  :dunno:

edit: Well, hey, I'm supporting in spirit, at least. Forgot my avatar was from a GBA game.

Edited by SyIaris
  • Like 1

Well, since I had to sell my old consoles years ago I can't participate but this is a nice event and I might feel motivated to play some of my older PC games like Divine Divinity and Heroes of Might and Magic 4 again and I still need to finish the PC port of Cavestory. My PC technically isn't even from this decade. :P But the last upgrade was a (at that time) midrange graphics card in like 2012 or 2013 so it really shouldn't qualify. 

Edited by xFalionx
  • Like 1

This is an awesome event. Unfortunately, I (1) don't have enough posts, and (2) just simply don't have the time. I'm doing the IGC and Fall/Autumn Backlog challenges, plus other RL things I have to focus on for the next few months so it'd be difficult to also play older games at the same time. I'd love to pull out the SNES and PS though, play some Donkey Kong, SMK, finally finish FF VIII and replay FFIX, MGS and Secret of Mana just for fun. If you plan on starting this up again in the new year I'll try to join (as long as it doesn't interfere with Persona 5 and Horizon :D).

I got into gaming a bit late for this (GBC and PS2 were my first systems), so I'm low on games that would fit. Assuming this is "backlog" and not "replay all your Pokemon games again, lulz", backwards compatability would take me from four to six.

Not intended as an entry, just a list:

• Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (GBC)
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords (GBA)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials to Glory: World Championship Tournament 2005 (GBA)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Destiny Board Traveler (GBA)
  • Dance Dance Revolution Konamix (PS1 BC)
  • The Legend of Dragoon (PS1 BC)
All but the Yu-Gi-Oh titles have been played to some degree - picked those up recently. No big deal, though, I'm under your post count and the no-BC rules; I won't ask you to break them for me.

Theoretically, there's an N64 with two games floating around somewhere, but with how long it's been lost, I think it was mistakenly thrown out/swiped.

The big backlog numbers start a generation later, of course, since Gamestop majorly discounted a bunch of them a while back. Not sure how many VC titles I have in the mix of things, but there're quite a few of those as well; I'm doing a really good job of juuust being ineligible. :dunno:

edit: Well, hey, I'm supporting in spirit, at least. Forgot my avatar was from a GBA game.

It's not backlog though, from the nine games I have for myself I have already played through three of them (at least) once before. I did only say that you should not have played the games on your list for at least two years so if you want to replay some stuff as well, go right ahead. I'd say Pokémon replay is perfect for this event.

The post count one is really not an important one for me, I picked that at random while tailoring after other events. I already said Daisy could join, who is at less posts than you.

As for backwards compatibility, now that you know you can replay old games you might get to six without it.

Well, since I had to sell my old consoles years ago I can't participate but this is a nice event and I might feel motivated to play some of my older PC games like Divine Divinity and Heroes of Might and Magic 4 again and I still need to finish the PC port of Cavestory. My PC technically isn't even from this decade. :P But the last upgrade was a (at that time) midrange graphics card in like 2012 or 2013 so it really shouldn't qualify.

... Does it have a floppy drive? :)

This is an awesome event. Unfortunately, I (1) don't have enough posts, and (2) just simply don't have the time. I'm doing the IGC and Fall/Autumn Backlog challenges, plus other RL things I have to focus on for the next few months so it'd be difficult to also play older games at the same time. I'd love to pull out the SNES and PS though, play some Donkey Kong, SMK, finally finish FF VIII and replay FFIX, MGS and Secret of Mana just for fun. If you plan on starting this up again in the new year I'll try to join (as long as it doesn't interfere with Persona 5 and Horizon :D).

If this event becomes a success then I'll definitely do one next year.

Edited by BillyHorrible

It's not backlog though, from the nine games I have for myself I have already played through three of them (at least) once before. I did only say that you should not have played the games on your list for at least two years so if you want to replay some stuff as well, go right ahead. I'd say Pokémon replay is perfect for this event.

The post count one is really not an important one for me, I picked that at random while tailoring after other events. I already said Daisy could join, who is at less posts than you.

My bad, I've seen so many backlog events I just assumed. :facepalm:

Definitely could, then. I'll need to think on it, though - I'm in a few other events that will take up a good bit of time, and the majority of my older stuff takes quite a while. I think it's almost entirely RPGs...

Alas, I have not enough posts to join. Great idea, though! :D

:hmm: Maybe I'll just do it anyway...

My bad, I've seen so many backlog events I just assumed. :facepalm:

Definitely could, then. I'll need to think on it, though - I'm in a few other events that will take up a good bit of time, and the majority of my older stuff takes quite a while. I think it's almost entirely RPGs...

There, I reduced the post limit to 50. That was the post limit I saw on the first event I joined (and I was below 100 back then too), and I don't want that silly "oh yeah need to discourage infrequent posters" last second addition to hold people back from joining. If this event is a blast after all it might help pull you into the forums more :)

It would be fun if you joined, Sy, let me know what you do. I'm in two PlayStation events myself, one from tomorrow to the end of the year and one from August 1 a full year, it's also likely a third one will be created for October/November where I'll want to join. I figured a minimum of one old game every two weeks alongside the regular stuff should be doable.

Edited by BillyHorrible

"Games running on DOS are allowed, but only if you run them on computers old enough to have an internal floppy drive. The main intent of the event here is the consoles, PC gamers can enter with stuff like Zork and Sam & Max Hit The Road but I don't want to see them running on present-decade laptops or worse, iPads or other stuff with emulators. Also, if you decide to go this route then I may pressurise you into playing a few specific titles."

Oh wowie, it's the first time my good old rust bucket qualifies for something!  Too bad I don't have any physical DOS games lying around, everything I have is either GOG or the images for DOSBox. I think I have SMD2 and some Famiclone's corpses in the attic, but again, even if I would fix them, I don't have any carts for them anymore. And all of my other consoles are from the sixth-seventh generation, so I'll have to pass.

Good luck to you all.

I'm currently in two through the end of the year and one through next spring, if memory serves.

But bah, why not. Should be fun.

Games Played

-

Game systems on list
Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance

Games to play

Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (GBC)

Mario Tennis (GBC)

Pokemon Yellow (GB)

Sonic Advance (GBA)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords (GBA)

Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trails to Glory (GBA)

Might add more, we'll see how the timing works out.

Edited by SyIaris
  • Like 1

... Does it have a floppy drive? :)

Currently it doesn't but I could see if we still have one lying around somewhere and connect that to my PC, but I honestly don't have enough old games that would also be old enough to get the list of 6 full since most of them are remakes. So I couldn't participate even if my PC was elegible. :)

Edited by xFalionx

"Games running on DOS are allowed, but only if you run them on computers old enough to have an internal floppy drive. The main intent of the event here is the consoles, PC gamers can enter with stuff like Zork and Sam & Max Hit The Road but I don't want to see them running on present-decade laptops or worse, iPads or other stuff with emulators. Also, if you decide to go this route then I may pressurise you into playing a few specific titles."

Oh wowie, it's the first time my good old rust bucket qualifies for something!  Too bad I don't have any physical DOS games lying around, everything I have is either GOG or the images for DOSBox. I think I have SMD2 and some Famiclone's corpses in the attic, but again, even if I would fix them, I don't have any carts for them anymore. And all of my other consoles are from the sixth-seventh generation, so I'll have to pass.

Good luck to you all.

Currently it doesn't but I could see if we still have one lying around somewhere and connect that to my PC, but I honestly don't have enough old games that would also be old enough to get the list of 6 full since most of them are remakes. So I couldn't participate even if my PC was elegible. :)

I might not know enough about PC gaming but I thought that much of that was digital only anyway... The floppy drive thing was to get you to play on an old computer, to my recollection even back in those days not all games were to be played on physical copies. I downloaded stuff even back in the day - there was shareware and freeware et cetera, or someone came by and installed stuff for me. In the late nineties I think you already had to use a DOS emulator to play stuff. So with PC gaming, for me it's less about the physical copies and more about playing old stuff on an old computer. For instance, you should totally download the Dinosaur Predators freeware (the quarter of the game that's open then is the best bit anyway), and there's a bunch of awesome LucasArts point and click games.

So as long as your PC is old enough, feel free to download stuff through DOSGamesArchive or anywhere. Back in my student days, I had a laptop from the late nineties and I downloaded scummvm and a few DOS games for it. My main target audience here is the console crowd, I just whipped something up for PC gamers but we can definitely discuss it, you guys know more about this than I do. My main point is going to be that the computer you do this on should be about the same age as the consoles the rest of us are going to game on, that way you get the real nostalgia feel along with the others.

I'm currently in two through the end of the year and one through next spring, if memory serves.

But bah, why not. Should be fun.

Games Played

-

Game systems on list

Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance

Games to play

Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (GBC)

Mario Tennis (GBC)

Pokemon Yellow (GB)

Sonic Advance (GBA)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords (GBA)

Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trails to Glory (GBA)

Might add more, we'll see how the timing works out.

Awesome, I'll add you to the main post!

Edit: I also added Super Mario Land 2 and 3 to my list. I've got both of them lying around (they were part of a larger SNES for SNES games trade), I've never played them in my life and they are supposed to be very good.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Thanks!

Now, to think up some kind of challenge/gimmick for Yellow...

... Let us choose the Pokémon you're going to have to work with?

I'm in doubts about if I should just post all my SNES/GB games here and let the other entrants decide what I should play, by the way. Only reason I haven't done it yet is because I'm probably going to end up with loads of games played anyway.

I might not know enough about PC gaming but I thought that much of that was digital only anyway... The floppy drive thing was to get you to play on an old computer, to my recollection even back in those days not all games were to be played on physical copies. I downloaded stuff even back in the day - there was shareware and freeware et cetera, or someone came by and installed stuff for me. In the late nineties I think you already had to use a DOS emulator to play stuff. So with PC gaming, for me it's less about the physical copies and more about playing old stuff on an old computer. For instance, you should totally download the Dinosaur Predators freeware (the quarter of the game that's open then is the best bit anyway), and there's a bunch of awesome LucasArts point and click games.

So as long as your PC is old enough, feel free to download stuff through DOSGamesArchive or anywhere. Back in my student days, I had a laptop from the late nineties and I downloaded scummvm and a few DOS games for it. My main target audience here is the console crowd, I just whipped something up for PC gamers but we can definitely discuss it, you guys know more about this than I do. My main point is going to be that the computer you do this on should be about the same age as the consoles the rest of us are going to game on, that way you get the real nostalgia feel along with the others.

Well, the rules pretty much exclude all of my console backlog, as I use PSP\PS2 for playing PS1 games and Wii\PSP for NES\Genesis\SNES, so the only way I can qualify for this event is with my PC... 

I haven't changed it much since the day I've bought it, the only thing upgraded was the graphics card (GeForce GTS 450, 6 year old as of now). The heart of the PC is the Pentium 4 Gallatin, which makes every other component in my PC 12 years old. So...

Does the 12 year old machine running Win XP, with the working floppy drive and 6 year old graphics card installed qualify?

Thanks!

Now, to think up some kind of challenge/gimmick for Yellow...

You could always do Nuzlocke, it's a classic Pokemon challenge.

Edited by NetEntity

... Let us choose the Pokémon you're going to have to work with?

I'm in doubts about if I should just post all my SNES/GB games here and let the other entrants decide what I should play, by the way. Only reason I haven't done it yet is because I'm probably going to end up with loads of games played anyway.

Sure, that works. I get dibs on one slot to make sure I can cover HMs, though.  :P

Preferably, nothing I'd have to trade in and no duplicates. No rush, since it starts in a month/doesn't have to be my first game anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather go with Billy's idea. Did a Nuzlocke on Emerald. :)

Edited by SyIaris

That still won't do then as my PC is more from the late PS2 era than your time frame and I honestly won't get a nostalgic feeling on a windows 10 machine. :D

But I remembered that I actually still have the old Might and Magic games (the RPGs this time, not the strategy games) on one of those steam alternatives ( I think it was the EA one...) that would at least qualify for age (The first one is DOS, the others are definitely pre 2003) so I might play some of them just for the hell of it.

Well, the rules pretty much exclude all of my console backlog, as I use PSP\PS2 for playing PS1 games and Wii\PSP for NES\Genesis\SNES, so the only way I can qualify for this event is with my PC... 

I haven't changed it much since the day I've bought it, the only thing upgraded was the graphics card (GeForce GTS 450, 6 year old as of now). The heart of the PC is the Pentium 4 Gallatin, which makes every other component in my PC 12 years old. So...

Does the 12 year old machine running Win XP, with the working floppy drive and 6 year old graphics card installed qualify?

Is your monitor old as well? :)

The GBA has had games released until 2007 and the latest handheld revision (GB Micro) in 2005 so I think we can allow a computer from 2004, as long as you're not using top notch screens and accesoires and such. I don't really know how to judge this since I have my SNES on an HD television as well but you really want to get into the event so I think I'll just say okay :) I will have some thoughts about your games to play though... Do any of these sound appealing? Dinosaur Predator (freeware/shareware), Tom & Jerry: Cat-astrophe, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Day Of The Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit The Road, Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis. For those last three, yeah you can use the talkie versions, I think they're much better that way and the talkie versions are old as well.

You made me google "Nuzlocke"... lucky for me, hit one was a site explaining it in detail.

Sure, that works. I get dibs on one slot to make sure I can cover HMs, though.  :P

Preferably, nothing I'd have to trade in and no duplicates. No rush, since it starts in a month/doesn't have to be my first game anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather go with Billy's idea. Did a Nuzlocke on Emerald. :)

Let's see... I remember using Bulbapedia about a decade ago with my GBA to see which Pokémon I could go for, glad to see it's still around :) Though I had to search for a list of gen1 pokémon so I could see what they were back then, I want my suggestions to form a diverse team. And finding that page is harder than it sounds...

Here's my five Pokémon I would like to see you game with:

Blastoise

Butterfree

Victreebell

Gengar

Dragonite

I take it I don't have to say which Pokémon these are the final evolutions of.

Remember to ask again a few weeks down the line when we have more participants, more may want to chip in.

That still won't do then as my PC is more from the late PS2 era than your time frame and I honestly won't get a nostalgic feeling on a windows 10 machine. :D

But I remembered that I actually still have the old Might and Magic games (the RPGs this time, not the strategy games) on one of those steam alternatives ( I think it was the EA one...) that would at least qualify for age (The first one is DOS, the others are definitely pre 2003) so I might play some of them just for the hell of it.

See if you can make a list for yourself of old games you'd want to play. I might just decide I can add you depending on how many participants we're getting, how much trouble you want to go through to be able to join and how generous I'm feeling :) As said before, I'm really not at home in the PC department and I just tried to think of some rules that would get the PC crowd to join, I don't really know if I'm being fair or not.

Let's see... I remember using Bulbapedia about a decade ago with my GBA to see which Pokémon I could go for, glad to see it's still around :) Though I had to search for a list of gen1 pokémon so I could see what they were back then, I want my suggestions to form a diverse team. And finding that page is harder than it sounds...

Here's my five Pokémon I would like to see you game with:

Blastoise

Butterfree

Victreebell

Gengar

Dragonite

I take it I don't have to say which Pokémon these are the final evolutions of.

Remember to ask again a few weeks down the line when we have more participants, more may want to chip in.

You managed to pick the one first-gen starter I've never played with (Blastoise)... impressive. Looks pretty nicely balanced, type-wise.

Nah, it's all good. Gengar requires trading (back and forth), but that wouldn't be a big deal as long as my batteries aren't all dead. Which I should definitely check on before this starts, since it's probably been 6+ years since I touched any of them...

Will do.