Golden Oldies: Dust Off Your Ancient Consoles (event finished)

I'm going to need to rethink my list a little, then. I got stuck in Zelda ages ago and I'm pretty sure I got all the upgrades I could up to that point... Don't really want to dump that and start over.

Thanks.  :)

Since you already participate in this event you can join my event with your Zelda game alone in case you still want to play it. As long as you have completed less than half of the game you can use your current savegame for the Retro Rampage event.

Just throwing this out there. :)

Since you already participate in this event you can join my event with your Zelda game alone in case you still want to play it. As long as you have completed less than half of the game you can use your current savegame for the Retro Rampage event.

Just throwing this out there. :)

I saw your event when you posted it, pretty awesome. I would've jumped on it if I wasn't already in this one - most of my "classic" backlog is digital or PS2 stuff. I've had Secret of Mana on my mind for a while...

Through the end of the year is looking pretty crazy, unfortunately, but if you do another round I'm in!

• Like 1

I'm going to need to rethink my list a little, then. I got stuck in Zelda ages ago and I'm pretty sure I got all the upgrades I could up to that point... Don't really want to dump that and start over.

Thanks.  :)

Swap for Pokemon Silver, if that's okay?

Sure thing, I'll change the OP right now.

By the way, I've got no less than three games in my list that I never managed to get completely through - two savegame based (Zelda and DKC2) and one password based (Castlevania IV). Must've gotten at least 3/4th through Zelda and Castlevania and got to the second to last level in DKC2 but I'm going to start at the beginning of them all. Getting a chance to retry a game you never managed to finish is why I added the rule that you don't have to get through all of the games you put on your list, since there's some nasty hard stuff out there...

Silver has been added. You and everyone else can feel free to change your list as much as you want right up until the start of the event, as long as the basic rules about what games to play are not broken.

Cool beans! First, I'll need to hook up my intended consoles to my old 20" tube-TV since the 27" one stopped working. Gotta make sure the TV and the consoles still work; it's been long enough since any of them have been turned on that I know I'm safe for the "haven't played in at least two years" rule. Once I've done that, then I'll feel more secure about committing to this event.

Without actually looking at my games, I've thought of at least five Sega Genesis games I'd want to play, plus one each of SNES, Sega Saturn, and Sony PS. So it looks like maybe I can bring a little balance to the consoles :) I'll try to pick another Saturn and maybe a Sega Game Gear game.

Did everything work all right, and do you have an idea of what you want to play?

Edited by BillyHorrible

I saw your event when you posted it, pretty awesome. I would've jumped on it if I wasn't already in this one - most of my "classic" backlog is digital or PS2 stuff. I've had Secret of Mana on my mind for a while...

Through the end of the year is looking pretty crazy, unfortunately, but if you do another round I'm in!

I can totally understand that. :)

Yeah, depending on how people like my event I might make it a seasonal thing. Since it's my first event the next one would be a bit more professional as well. :P

Sure thing, I'll change the OP right now.

By the way, I've got no less than three games in my list that I never managed to get completely through - two savegame based (Zelda and DKC2) and one password based (Castlevania IV). Must've gotten at least 3/4th through Zelda and Castlevania and got to the second to last level in DKC2 but I'm going to start at the beginning of them all. Getting a chance to retry a game you never managed to finish is why I added the rule that you don't have to get through all of the games you put on your list, since there's some nasty hard stuff out there...

Silver has been added. You and everyone else can feel free to change your list as much as you want right up until the start of the event, as long as the basic rules about what games to play are not broken.

The same Zelda, even.  :P

The one I had just had a fun little multiplayer game added in as well. I can't remember how far in it was, I just have memories of a boss that kept knocking me into holes on the floor that would drop me waaaay back at the start of the dungeon...

Thanks for switching it out.

Removing that leaves Dragon Warrior Monsters as never finished and Yu-Gi-Oh as never played.

I can totally understand that. :)

Yeah, depending on how people like my event I might make it a seasonal thing. Since it's my first event the next one would be a bit more professional as well. :P

I hope it goes well! I'll keep an eye out for another round in the future.  :)

• Like 1

The same Zelda, even.  :P

The one I had just had a fun little multiplayer game added in as well. I can't remember how far in it was, I just have memories of a boss that kept knocking me into holes on the floor that would drop me waaaay back at the start of the dungeon...

Thanks for switching it out.

Removing that leaves Dragon Warrior Monsters as never finished and Yu-Gi-Oh as never played.

I hope it goes well! I'll keep an eye out for another round in the future.  :)

I don't know where I landed in the game but I was quite far I think. Let me know if you want some "(never played)", "( played but never finished)" etc additions to your list like I've done to mine.

As long as people are having fun in this event, I'll create another one for Q1 2017 - or perhaps I'll even make it a full year. I have enough games lying around myself and I want to keep myself from ignoring old consoles.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'm on it then. A plastic box full of n64 carts and a few snes are the most I could find so far.

Edit: And a few of those Multi game carts from HK for NES however I believe that's against the rules.

I don't really know what you mean with multi game cart for HK; is that some form of 99-on-1 game cartridge or an unofficial port of multiple games to one cartridge? If the latter, then no that's against the rules (if you want to play those as well, they're allowed in the sister event).

If you want us to help you choose N64 and SNES titles, just post the full list here :) I'd be glad to help!

Damn, have to try and work out which box my old consoles is packed in.... snes, saturn, megadrive, atari... shame my atari st got fried years ago, did build my pc with a floppy drive though, so maybe I can play captive and dungeon/chaos master on that?

I don't know the PC games you mention but bring a full list and we'll check it. Do you use an old-ish monitor with that computer? Yeah it's a shame when an old console dies, I've got my N64 lying around but it won't play games any more...

You could also use this event as an excuse to finally go search for that box of old consoles, personally I'd go for that :)

I don't really know what you mean with multi game cart for HK; is that some form of 99-on-1 game cartridge or an unofficial port of multiple games to one cartridge? If the latter, then no that's against the rules (if you want to play those as well, they're allowed in the sister event).

If you want us to help you choose N64 and SNES titles, just post the full list here :) I'd be glad to help!

It's those 99 games in 1 cart situation, I have more famicom carts as opposed to NES. I'll take photos tonight of all and post, sorry but forgot and have been busy arranging a reunion with old friends.

Edited by Z1MZUM

It's those 99 games in 1 cart situation, I have more famicom carts as opposed to NES. I'll take photos tonight of all and post, sorry but forgot and have been busy arranging a reunion with old friends.

If it's an official cartridge, it counts. Don't know if we should count all those 99 as separate games though :D

Hi all,  posted pictures on http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/1610-post-a-picture-of-your-video-game-collection/page-13

Forsaken

Turok 2

Allstar tennis 99

Body Harvest

Turok

Super Mario 64

Pilotwings 64

Destruction Derby 64

Re-Volt

Shadwoman

Banjo Kazooie

Bomberman 64

Virtual Pool 64

Lode Runner 3d

Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Turok 3

Mortal Kombat 4

HSV Adventure racing

San franciso Rush 2

Quake 2

Wave Racer 64

Robotron 64

Ridge Racer 64

F-Zero X

Lylat Wars

Cruisn USA

War Gods

San Franciso rush

Penny Racers

Hybrid Heaven

Duke Nukem 64

Nuclear Strike

Fighting Force 64

Snowboard kids 2

Blast Corps

Carmageddon 64

Tony Hawks Pro Skateboarding

Command and Conquer

007 Golden eye

Rugby live 2000

Hexen

Mission Impossible

Perfect Dark

Star Wars Shadows of the empire

Jeremy Magrath Supercross 2000

Those Famicom and NES Carts are all multicarts, the blue one has a ridiculous amount of games on it, all official but the cart isn't.

Hi all,  posted pictures on http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/1610-post-a-picture-of-your-video-game-collection/page-13

Forsaken

Turok 2

Allstar tennis 99

Body Harvest

Turok

Super Mario 64

Pilotwings 64

Destruction Derby 64

Re-Volt

Shadwoman

Banjo Kazooie

Bomberman 64

Virtual Pool 64

Lode Runner 3d

Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Turok 3

Mortal Kombat 4

HSV Adventure racing

San franciso Rush 2

Quake 2

Wave Racer 64

Robotron 64

Ridge Racer 64

F-Zero X

Lylat Wars

Cruisn USA

War Gods

San Franciso rush

Penny Racers

Hybrid Heaven

Duke Nukem 64

Nuclear Strike

Fighting Force 64

Snowboard kids 2

Blast Corps

Carmageddon 64

Tony Hawks Pro Skateboarding

Command and Conquer

007 Golden eye

Rugby live 2000

Hexen

Mission Impossible

Perfect Dark

Star Wars Shadows of the empire

Jeremy Magrath Supercross 2000

Those Famicom and NES Carts are all multicarts, the blue one has a ridiculous amount of games on it, all official but the cart isn't.

Holy crap that's a lot! Are you going to pick your favourites yourselves or do you want us to voice our opinions as well? (Are any of those games still unplayed by you, by any chance? Then we could point to gems you've missed)

Sorry , miscommunication about the 99-in-1 thing. I was referring to the official cartridges that had all kinds of small games on them, but any unofficial cartridge filled with games is not allowed, sorry.

Holy crap that's a lot! Are you going to pick your favourites yourselves or do you want us to voice our opinions as well? (Are any of those games still unplayed by you, by any chance? Then we could point to gems you've missed)

Sorry , miscommunication about the 99-in-1 thing. I was referring to the official cartridges that had all kinds of small games on them, but any unofficial cartridge filled with games is not allowed, sorry.

NES and SNES legit carts are probably downstairs, I'm going to stick to n64 and a couple of saturn games, both pal and jp saturn games are on the "Post a picture" thread. I'll pick a couple and I'd also like opinions voiced if thats ok. Every n64 game is listed underneath as played or not

Games played

-

Games played through

-

Game systems on list

Nintendo 64, Sega Saturn

Games to play

Shadowman - N64 - Played On DC

Hybrid Heaven - N64 Never played

Star Wars Shadow of the Empire - N64 - Never played

Shining Wisdom - Sega Saturn - Played/Finished

-----------------

Forsaken - Played on PS

Turok 2 - Never played

Allstar tennis 99

Body Harvest - Never played

Turok - Played

Super Mario 64 - Played

Pilotwings 64 - Played

Destruction Derby 64 - Never played

Re-Volt - Played

Shadwoman - Played on DC, love this game

Banjo Kazooie - Played

Bomberman 64 - Never played

Virtual Pool 64  - Never played

Lode Runner 3d - Played

Star Wars Rogue Squadron - Played

Turok 3 - Never played

Mortal Kombat 4 - Played

HSV Adventure racing - Never played

San franciso Rush 2 - Played

1080 - Played

Quake 2 - Played

Wave Racer 64 - Played

Robotron 64 - Played

Ridge Racer 64 - Played

F-Zero X - Played

Lylat Wars - Played

Cruisn USA - Played

War Gods - Played

San Franciso rush - Played

Penny Racers - Never played

Hybrid Heaven - Never played

Duke Nukem 64 - Never played ??

Nuclear Strike - Never played

Fighting Force 64 - Played

Snowboard kids 2 - Played

Blast Corps - Played

Carmageddon 64

Tony Hawks Pro Skateboarding - Played

Command and Conquer - Never played

007 Golden eye - Played

Rugby live 2000 - Never played

Hexen - Played

Mission Impossible - Never played

Perfect Dark - Played

Star Wars Shadows of the empire - Never played

Jeremy Magrath Supercross 2000 - Played

big list

I don't care what others say, I enjoyed Shadows Of The Empire a lot.

On your never played list which I really enjoyed:

Turok 2, Body Harvest (though I never managed to finish it) and Mission Impossible.

You only need to add two games so you've got the minimum of six, you're free to add more either now and/or later of course.

Games played-

Games played through-

Game systems on list - N64- Sega Saturn

Games to play

Shadowman - N64

Hybrid Heaven - N64

Star Wars Shadow of the Empire - N64

Shining Wisdom - Sega Saturn

Turok 2 - N64

Body Harvest - N64

And that's the list done

Edit: Oh I haven't played the games I've listed as played for quite a few years, well over 2.

Edited by Z1MZUM

Tube television... that's hardcore!

Good luck on trying them all, here's hoping it all still works. Most of the old consoles are built to last though.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I wasn't able to test my consoles out, but barring their malfunction (and also barring it being too late to enter this event), may I present to you my list of Ancient Console Games:

Game systems on list

Sega Genesis (SGEN), Sega Nomad (backup for the Genesis), Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), Sega Saturn (SSAT), Sony PlayStation (PS1)

Games to play
Disney's Aladdin (SGEN)
Phantasy Star IV (SGEN)
Scooby-Doo Mystery (SGEN)
Buster Bunny's Hidden Treasure (SGEN)
Pink Goes to Hollywood (SGEN)
Doom (SGEN 32X)
Cool Spot (SGEN)
Secret of Evermore (SNES)
D (SSAT)
Silent Hill (PS1)

It's 2016-10-1 (for me at least), Q4 has arrived. Have fun everyone, here's to a fun and relaxing retro event!

Games played-

Games played through-

Game systems on list - N64- Sega Saturn

Games to play

Shadowman - N64

Hybrid Heaven - N64

Star Wars Shadow of the Empire - N64

Shining Wisdom - Sega Saturn

Turok 2 - N64

Body Harvest - N64

And that's the list done

Edit: Oh I haven't played the games I've listed as played for quite a few years, well over 2.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I wasn't able to test my consoles out, but barring their malfunction (and also barring it being too late to enter this event), may I present to you my list of Ancient Console Games:

Game systems on list

Sega Genesis (SGEN), Sega Nomad (backup for the Genesis), Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), Sega Saturn (SSAT), Sony PlayStation (PS1)

Games to play

Disney's Aladdin (SGEN)

Phantasy Star IV (SGEN)

Scooby-Doo Mystery (SGEN)

Buster Bunny's Hidden Treasure (SGEN)

Pink Goes to Hollywood (SGEN)

Doom (SGEN 32X)

Cool Spot (SGEN)

Secret of Evermore (SNES)

D (SSAT)

Silent Hill (PS1)

I'm on my phone now, both your lists will be added when I get to my computer. Don't worry Daisy, I'm not fussy about adding a last second list :) besides, even though for me at the moment of writing it's the morning of the first of October, California has an hour of the last of September to go and Baker Island still has four hours to go even, so it's not October everywhere yet ;)

Fired up Discworld this morning. Already left the Unseen University, currently hopelessly lost inside the labyrinth of Ark-Morpork. There is just so much ground to cover... Note: if you stay on the map for a while, the dragon will fly past and torch a few streets, and the firemen squad will hurry there to extinguish the fire. 

Edited by NetEntity

Game Update:

rM0CZ3E.jpg

(For a different event, I'm doing updates on all the games I've played so I'm making PlayStation title sized images for all of these)

Decided this morning that it would be a cool idea to use F-Zero to get me back into gaming. Haven't played on a console for almost three weeks now.

I played through all three leagues, so I immediately played through the whole game as well.

Wow, this has been fun. I really liked playing F-Zero again. For a whole lot of years, F-Zero and Mario Kart were the only racing franchises I really played (on the N64 they were joined by Star Wars Episode I Racer and Rush 2). I really needed something as simple and basic as this to get me going again.

I drove with Pico in the Wild Goose, for those who want to know. He has always been my favourite, even if his character artwork for the N64 and GC were atrocious.

It's funny to see how much I remember from the tracks... Go across that electrified bit to cut off a bit of track, go across that braking part to miss the mines easily...

I'm liking this event already. I don't know which of the games I'll do next but I might save the more difficult ones for later on.

updated stats:

BillyHorrible

Games played
-

Games played through
F-Zero (SNES) (finished plenty of times before)

Game systems on list
Super Nintendo, Game Boy (through Super Game Boy SNES cartridge)

Games to play
Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES) (played but never finished before)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) (never played beyond the first few levels before)
Earthworm Jim (SNES) (never played beyond the first level before)
Jurassic Park (SNES) (played a lot but never finished before)
Kirby's Dream Land (GB) (finished at least once or twice before)
The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES) (played but never finished before)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES) (played but never finished before)
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB) (never played before)
Super Mario World (SNES) (finished plenty of times before)
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (GB) (never played before)

P.S. I switched around "games played" and "games played through" since now we can work our way from bottom to top :)

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

First thing I have to mention for all people playing, particularly the N64. You really got to clean those cartridges out and the console to get going, I thought both my NTSC and PAL N64 where dead until finally I got the screen up. Also, Don't forget that memory PAK in the controller :facepalm:

So after an hour of cleaning up I started NTSC Turok 2 on the NTSC N64 using composite to HDMI on a 43 inch panel.

First thing I noticed was the controller configuration is allot more optional than the original Turok, you can kind of get a golden eye 007 configuration together after some fiddling. 2nd thing is that even though you start outdoors the 1st hour or so is all indoors. The opening gives a pretty good indication as to why you've been summoned by the elders so after this sequence I'm ready to go on a new adventure with Turok (I've Never played this). If you've played the original you'll be right at home with this entry however external audio is a must as those flat panel speakers are pretty horrible in comparison to the old crt fat speakers. Visually it still looks pretty good though as mentioned you really need the sounds at a decent level as I couldn't find subtitles as an option.

I've so far saved 1 child though I know where the 2nd one is thanks to falling through the floor :rolleyes:  Great atmosphere and great game which I thought I might mention pretty early as I'm really getting into it. Sure it's a collect totems/talisman and save the world affair though so are thousands of other games.

• Like 1