Golden Oldies: Dust Off Your Ancient Consoles (event finished)

Thanks.  :)

Yeah, it's been pretty quiet since the initial posts. Kinda suspect at least a few of the others forgot - it's happened with a few events I've been in.

Definitely sounds like a better way to go about it... more of a break than a requirement.

While this has been fun, I'm afraid I'll have to back out after the round ends. Already dug through and grabbed what variety I could; most of my classics are remasters or re-releases.  :dunno:

GB/C, GBA, and N64 (physical copies)

don't want to restart

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure
  • Golden Sun
  • Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  • Mario Kart 64 (never finished)
  • Mario Tennis
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords (never finished)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (never finished)
  • Pokemon Blue
  • Pokemon Crystal
  • Pokemon Emerald
  • Pokemon Fire Red
  • Pokemon Leaf Green
  • Pokemon Ruby
  • Pokemon Sapphire
  • Pokemon Silver
  • Pokemon Trading Card Game
  • Pokemon Yellow
  • Sonic Advance
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! superlongnameinthisevent
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Destiny Board Traveler (never played)
Did manage to find the N64 and its two games about a week ago, though.

Falion's event works better with my stuff, just because it means I can toss in goodies I've never finished.

physical Gamecube/DS/PS1/PS2, mixed remakes/ports

With everything that's been beaten removed:

• .hack//Infection
  • 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
  • Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
  • Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm
  • Beyond Good & Evil
  • Breath of Fire IV
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Chrono Cross
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Dance Dance Revolution: Konamix
  • Dance Dance Revolution: Supernova 2
  • Dance Dance Revolution X
  • Dance Factory
  • Dark Cloud
  • Dark Cloud 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Devil May Cry
  • Devil May Cry 2
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • Digimon World: Dusk
  • Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
  • Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
  • Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation
  • Dragon Quest VII: Journey of the Cursed King
  • DuckTales
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
  • Dynasty Warriors 4
  • Elite Beat Agents
  • Final Fantasy
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Final Fantasy IV
  • Final Fantasy V
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Final Fantasy X-2
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Final Fight: Double Impact
  • Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
  • Glory of Heracles
  • God of War
  • God of War 2
  • God of War: Chains of Olympus
  • God of War: Ghost of Sparta
  • Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Hitman 2
  • Hitman: Blood Money
  • Hitman: Contracts
  • ICO
  • Jak II
  • Jak 3
  • Katamari Damacy
  • Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
  • Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
  • Legend of Mana
  • Lock's Quest
  • Lost Magic
  • Lunar: Dragon Song
  • Magical Starsign
  • Mario Party 2
  • Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (one of these two has saving issues)
  • Mega Man X4
  • Mega Man X5
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
  • Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
  • Monster Tale
  • MySims Kingdom
  • Odin Sphere
  • Okami
  • One Piece: Pirates' Carnival
  • Orphen
  • Overlord: Minions
  • Phantom Brave: We Meet Again
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • Pokemon Puzzle League
  • Prince of Persia: The Fallen King
  • Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
  • Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Ratchet & Clank 2
  • Ratchet & Clank 3
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids
  • Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Secret of Mana
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Sim Theme Park
  • Skies of Arcadia Legends
  • Sonic Rush
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Spyro the Dragon
  • Spyro: Year of the Dragon
  • SSX On Tour
  • Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
  • Suikoden
  • Suikoden II
  • Suikoden III
  • Suikoden IV
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II
  • Super Street Fighter II
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • The Legend of Dragoon
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Ghost Recon
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
  • Tony Hawk's Underground
  • Tony Hawk's Underground 2
  • Twisted Metal
  • Vagrant Story
  • Valkyria Profile 2: Silmeria
  • Warhawk
  • Wario Ware D.I.Y. (needs to be cleaned)
  • Wild Arms
  • Wild Arms 2
  • Wild Arms 3
  • The World Ends With You
  • X-Men Legends (one of these two has saving issues)
  • Xenosaga Episode 1
  • Zoo Tycoon
  • Zoo Tycoon 2
Somebody had fun cleaning out a bunch of clearance DS/PS2 games a few years ago.  :awesome:

Assuming physical copies in both groups work, at least. Ignoring PC games for both because it'd be a headache to go through, but... yeah, it's pretty one-sided.

I was actually thinking about splitting the event in a hardcore crew and a softcore crew, to keep everyone together.

That could work. What kind of limits do you think you'd have for softcore?

I was thinking:

hardcore crowd - consoles, only stuff with cartridges. handhelds, GBA or earlier. Only official cartridges count.

softcore crowd - games from 2005 or earlier, remastereds/remakes of those games count. Unofficial cartridges can count as well.

This effectively means that many PS2-to-PS4 games can be played, including the GTA trilogy and the Star Wars games. Stuff like Duke Nukem 3D ports or Day Of The Tentacle Remastered would be allowed as well this way.

I figured with stuff like this, we'll get more entrants, and the people who are actually playing on cartridge consoles on official cartridges can still show off their commitment.

I would be allowing hardcore entrants to also put softcore games on a separate list, as long as they still have the required one game a month on the hardcore list. Don't know yet if that means I'm going to go list people twice, or if they're just getting a longer list with softcore underneath hardcore but the latter option is probably better.

I think I'm going to create the new event later today, by the way.

I think that either this week or the next, I'll make a new event for next year. Any requests? Personally, I think that we should do a whole year, with at least one game done per month? Something along those lines. It would be less of a "go play classics" and more of a "don't forget those classics, play them in between your other stuff once in a while" because it's less games per month and the longer time allows for more relaxed planning, and an easier way of including huge games.

I was actually thinking about splitting the event in a hardcore crew and a softcore crew, to keep everyone together.

I was thinking:

hardcore crowd - consoles, only stuff with cartridges. handhelds, GBA or earlier. Only official cartridges count.

softcore crowd - games from 2005 or earlier, remastereds/remakes of those games count. Unofficial cartridges can count as well.

This effectively means that many PS2-to-PS4 games can be played, including the GTA trilogy and the Star Wars games. Stuff like Duke Nukem 3D ports or Day Of The Tentacle Remastered would be allowed as well this way.

I figured with stuff like this, we'll get more entrants, and the people who are actually playing on cartridge consoles on official cartridges can still show off their commitment.

I would be allowing hardcore entrants to also put softcore games on a separate list, as long as they still have the required one game a month on the hardcore list. Don't know yet if that means I'm going to go list people twice, or if they're just getting a longer list with softcore underneath hardcore but the latter option is probably better.

I think I'm going to create the new event later today, by the way.

That's pretty interesting, your hardcore softcore idea kinda makes my event feel redundant because the high barrier of entry to your event was the reason for its creation.

I guess it should be alright though since I'd thought I should give my event a little spin to make it more interesting.  

I was thinking of doing a year long event which, like your event, requires participants to play 12 games over the course of a year. At the end you would get a nice little badge for your profile or your signature that would feature your stats along with 12 smaller badges in different trophy rarities to show how well you did each month.

Each month participants can vote on a theme for the next month, which could be anything from a specific genre like racing games to a wider variety of games that are considered eligible like "Any game released before the end of 2010 counts towards this events until the end of this month". There'll be 3 or 4 options each month and themes that didn't get enough votes may or may not be reused in the future.

The trophy ranks on the small badges will be:

Bronze - Participation in the event

Silver - Completing a game in that month

Gold - Completing a game that fits the months theme in that month

Platinum - Complete 2 games in that month, of which at least one fits the theme of that month

(These ranks might change before the actual event is created)

I think doing it this way will add some flavor to the event. If I manage to do that in my limited time, I might also give my thread a list of thread trophies which are basically little hidden achievements for the completion of different tasks in the event, like completing games of 6 different genres or recommending someone a game they might like, things like that. But I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to do that.

Speaking of time, I was thinking of posting the new thread in the middle of December, with a 2 week long sign-up period and additional sign-ups with penalty all throughout the year. (The penalty being no badge for the months before sign-up)

Of course I'd still love to make our events compatible by saying you get a silver badge for each month a game was completed in your thread, or maybe you could count each game a participant completes in my thread as one less towards the total in your thread, so that people can mix and match between our events. That is if you'd even like me to continue my events, as your idea of having a hardcore and softcore side of your event would make my event less relevant, so you could say it isn't really needed anymore.

Hearing your opinion on that would be nice. :)

Also, I would have replied quicker but I kinda got besieged by my cats...

R1DET38.jpg

(Sorry for the bad quality but the only device I have that's capable of photography is my Vita)

Edited by xFalionx

That's pretty interesting, your hardcore softcore idea kinda makes my event feel redundant because the high barrier of entry to your event was the reason for its creation.

I guess it should be alright though since I'd thought I should give my event a little spin to make it more interesting.  

I was thinking of doing a year long event which, like your event, requires participants to play 12 games over the course of a year. At the end you would get a nice little badge for your profile or your signature that would feature your stats along with 12 smaller badges in different trophy rarities to show how well you did each month.

Each month participants can vote on a theme for the next month, which could be anything from a specific genre like racing games to a wider variety of games that are considered eligible like "Any game released before the end of 2010 counts towards this events until the end of this month". There'll be 3 or 4 options each month and themes that didn't get enough votes may or may not be reused in the future.

The trophy ranks on the small badges will be:

Bronze - Participation in the event

Silver - Completing a game in that month

Gold - Completing a game that fits the months theme in that month

Platinum - Complete 2 games in that month, of which at least one fits the theme of that month

(These ranks might change before the actual event is created)

I think doing it this way will add some flavor to the event. If I manage to do that in my limited time, I might also give my thread a list of thread trophies which are basically little hidden achievements for the completion of different tasks in the event, like completing games of 6 different genres or recommending someone a game they might like, things like that. But I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to do that.

Speaking of time, I was thinking of posting the new thread in the middle of December, with a 2 week long sign-up period and additional sign-ups with penalty all throughout the year. (The penalty being no badge for the months before sign-up)

Of course I'd still love to make our events compatible by saying you get a silver badge for each month a game was completed in your thread, or maybe you could count each game a participant completes in my thread as one less towards the total in your thread, so that people can mix and match between our events. That is if you'd even like me to continue my events, as your idea of having a hardcore and softcore side of your event would make my event less relevant, so you could say it isn't really needed anymore.

Hearing your opinion on that would be nice. :)

Also, I would have replied quicker but I kinda got besieged by my cats...

R1DET38.jpg

(Sorry for the bad quality but the only device I have that's capable of photography is my Vita)

I'm not planning on doing anything with badges so feel free :) I don't mind the new Golden Oldies event being used in your event as badges, and choosing themes for each month instead of just deciding on a list of twelve games is a cool way of differentiating between the two events. I'm inclined to say that themed gaming is actually pretty cool to do with PS3 and PS4 games as well... For instance with "snow" as the December theme, you could go for Never Alone, SSX, Rise Of The Tomb Raider, most South Park games, The Walking Dead Season 2...

Edit: ooh! ooh! You could do a poll with fifty of the most popular theme ideas and see which twelve get more votes from the entrants! Personally, if a thread like this would be made including PS3 and PS4 games, I would try to join. Got more than enough games left, in many different themes.

Personally I figured making your event "redundant" was the best option, so everyone could get in on the same event (and hopefully keep each other in the running). Don't see it as me making your event obsolete, see it as me caving in to your ideas! :D

Edited by BillyHorrible

I'm not planning on doing anything with badges so feel free :) I don't mind the new Golden Oldies event being used in your event as badges, and choosing themes for each month instead of just deciding on a list of twelve games is a cool way of differentiating between the two events. I'm inclined to say that themed gaming is actually pretty cool to do with PS3 and PS4 games as well... For instance with "snow" as the December theme, you could go for Never Alone, SSX, Rise Of The Tomb Raider, most South Park games, The Walking Dead Season 2...

Edit: ooh! ooh! You could do a poll with fifty of the most popular theme ideas and see which twelve get more votes from the entrants! Personally, if a thread like this would be made including PS3 and PS4 games, I would try to join. Got more than enough games left, in many different themes.

Personally I figured making your event "redundant" was the best option, so everyone could get in on the same event (and hopefully keep each other in the running). Don't see it as me making your event obsolete, see it as me caving in to your ideas! :D

I guess keeping the retro playerbase in one thread would make more sense, but I really like the idea of making my monthly theme idea into an event that allows old as well as new games. In that case I would still have to do some more thinking to make it all work. Things will probably be a bit different in that case but I might do something like giving out pixelated badges for people who completed a retro game in each month to promote retro gaming. :D

Also, I'd like to keep the themes for different months separated so I can have a broad theme like for example Perspective where participants could choose between things like 2D, 3D, Isometric, Top-Down, First Person, Third Person (probably actually less choices than that but you get what I mean with a broad theme)

But yeah, in that case I'll go tell my participants to visit your next event for their yearly craving of retro games, since that's a spiritual continuation of both of our current events. Does your softcore mode also allow emulation (like the PS1 classics) and playing old games on new hardware (like Gamecube games on a Wii or old PC games on a (sort of :P) modern PC)?

I guess keeping the retro playerbase in one thread would make more sense, but I really like the idea of making my monthly theme idea into an event that allows old as well as new games. In that case I would still have to do some more thinking to make it all work. Things will probably be a bit different in that case but I might do something like giving out pixelated badges for people who completed a retro game in each month to promote retro gaming. :D

Also, I'd like to keep the themes for different months separated so I can have a broad theme like for example Perspective where participants could choose between things like 2D, 3D, Isometric, Top-Down, First Person, Third Person (probably actually less choices than that but you get what I mean with a broad theme)

But yeah, in that case I'll go tell my participants to visit your next event for their yearly craving of retro games, since that's a spiritual continuation of both of our current events. Does your softcore mode also allow emulation (like the PS1 classics) and playing old games on new hardware (like Gamecube games on a Wii or old PC games on a (sort of :P) modern PC)?

Just thinking aloud but if you want to keep retro gaming in there, you could go for instance for a "nineties nostalgia" theme in a quarter of a year where people could either play an original SNES game, or The Day Of The Tentacle Remastered on PS4, or whatever. The problem I see with only retro gaming in a themed event is that people might not have enough games to fit the themes, adding PS3 and PS4 games solves that (and keeps the event from becoming too much like the Golden Oldies one, since our current events are basically the same one with some changes in restriction). It would also attract a lot of people trying to get rid of their backlog in a fun way. (for instance, me - I'd have Duke Nukem 3D on PS3 for a retro theme, Rain on PS3 for a water theme, Tropico 5 on PS4 for a world building theme...)

I'm currently writing the new event, this is what I have now on the "-core" stuff:

Hardcore nostalgia - only cartridge based consoles (any except Switch) or handhelds (GBA or earlier) are allowed, only official cartridges and consoles are allowed.

Softcore nostalgia - All games made in or before 2005 are allowed, from any and all systems. Unofficial hardware/software is allowed. Ports/remasters are allowed. This includes but is not limited to playing: abandonware through a DOS emulator, GameCube games, PS2 to PS4 ports, (S)NES to Wii/3DS ports, Super Star Wars, Resident Evil, Day Of The Tentacle, The Secret Of Monkey Island... Just to name a few options.

Additionally, you don't have to pick twelve hardcore or twelve softcore nostalgia games. You can pick from both, whatever works for you as long as you have at least twelve games that fall into either category.

So to answer your question, anything would go as long as the game is from 2005 or earlier (or is an HD upgrade/port from a game that old).

What do you think?

Edit: changed it up a bit. People can just complement hardcore and softcore titles now.

Edited by BillyHorrible

The new event is open...

Super Golden Oldies"Dust Off Your Ancient Consoles 2017 Edition

I changed the entry limits even more, so PS1 and other disc based old consoles now also counts as hardcore nostalgia.

I have let go of a lot of other additional rules, such as needing to not have played the games for at least two years.

Hope to see you all there as well, and I hope that in the next month we can still be productive towards the event we're in now!

Personally, the KYC event has finished so I have time again for some classic gaming, I am determined to finish at least four more games in December.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Just thinking aloud but if you want to keep retro gaming in there, you could go for instance for a "nineties nostalgia" theme in a quarter of a year where people could either play an original SNES game, or The Day Of The Tentacle Remastered on PS4, or whatever. The problem I see with only retro gaming in a themed event is that people might not have enough games to fit the themes, adding PS3 and PS4 games solves that (and keeps the event from becoming too much like the Golden Oldies one, since our current events are basically the same one with some changes in restriction). It would also attract a lot of people trying to get rid of their backlog in a fun way. (for instance, me - I'd have Duke Nukem 3D on PS3 for a retro theme, Rain on PS3 for a water theme, Tropico 5 on PS4 for a world building theme...)

I'm currently writing the new event, this is what I have now on the "-core" stuff:

So to answer your question, anything would go as long as the game is from 2005 or earlier (or is an HD upgrade/port from a game that old).

What do you think?

Edit: changed it up a bit. People can just complement hardcore and softcore titles now.

I only meant that as a little gimmick, not as a restriction. I think I've got an idea that might work though. I think I might do it a little like Diablo 3 does its seasons. There's always some harder/ more complicated tasks for people to complete to unlock special rewards. I might add additional badges for things like playing a retro game, or 100%ing a game without a platinum trophy. Those would be active throughout the whole event while each theme would only last a month. Also I like your idea of giving multiple months a broader theme, I might incorporate that in some way.

I like your limitations, It's basically both of our old limitations in one event, more or less.

The new event is open...

Super Golden Oldies"Dust Off Your Ancient Consoles 2017 Edition

I changed the entry limits even more, so PS1 and other disc based old consoles now also counts as hardcore nostalgia.

I have let go of a lot of other additional rules, such as needing to not have played the games for at least two years.

Hope to see you all there as well, and I hope that in the next month we can still be productive towards the event we're in now!

Personally, the KYC event has finished so I have time again for some classic gaming, I am determined to finish at least four more games in December.

I found that 2 year rule to be pretty annoying. :D

Depending on how I feel I might join the new event, I guess it also depends on what horrible things you would do to me if I were to complete 11 or less games in that year. :P I can't guarantee that I'd manage to find the time and will to complete all 12.

I envy your free time, I'm hoping to complete at least the GTA game for my RR event, I don't think I'll manage to do more than that. At least I'm getting a bit more free time to play games since my brothers started going to school again after spending 3 weeks ill at home. I'm sick of playing games that I don't want to play for the enjoyment of little kids for 10 hours straight each and every day. I'm probably the only guy on earth who hates school holidays. ^_^

Edited by xFalionx

Depending on how I feel I might join the new event, I guess it also depends on what horrible things you would do to me if I were to complete 11 or less games in that year. :P I can't guarantee that I'd manage to find the time and will to complete all 12.

I envy your free time, I'm hoping to complete at least the GTA game for my RR event, I don't think I'll manage to do more than that. At least I'm getting a bit more free time to play games since my brothers started going to school again after spending 3 weeks ill at home. I'm sick of playing games that I don't want to play for the enjoyment of little kids for 10 hours straight each and every day. I'm probably the only guy on earth who hates school holidays. ^_^

Me, free time... That's a good one. I use what little time I have very efficiently and I do not sleep a lot.

As long as you give your best, it does not matter if you don't get through twelve games. Just try to have fun.

Ok I'm a bit confused, I'm going to keep going with this for nostalgia and entertainment. I am switching from Turok 2 to Body harvest since the T2 cart seems to be screwed. Do I need to sign up to the new event? It looks like I'll be the hardcore event with the same list minus Turok 2.

Ok I'm a bit confused, I'm going to keep going with this for nostalgia and entertainment. I am switching from Turok 2 to Body harvest since the T2 cart seems to be screwed. Do I need to sign up to the new event? It looks like I'll be the hardcore event with the same list minus Turok 2.

The other event is just the second version of the event we're in now :) this one ends on December 31, that one starts on January 1. The new event runs for all of 2017 and you'll only need to do at least one game a month instead of two. That the new event has been created doesn't mean that we should give up on this event, personally I'm still going to play through the required six games (or at least I'm going to try).

Only sign op for the new event if you actually want to join :D (and if you'll post updates and try to get through twelve games, naturally)

Late update. Will keep it short.

Completed Missing... Presumed? Seeing Wizzard filling in for the vacationing Reaper was still hilarious.

Not sure if I'll be able to up my game count... As a completely unknown game for me, Messiah is certainly out. Theoretically, I can cheese both remaining point-n-clicks with a walkthrough, but this strikes me as disrespectful and unproper. Yes, I would prefer to fiddle with these three without the studies and absolytely abysmal schedule breathing down my neck.

That leaves Asterix. Maybe I'll find enough time to run through it, maybe not, we'll see.

Late update. Will keep it short.

Completed Missing... Presumed? Seeing Wizzard filling in for the vacationing Reaper was still hilarious.

Not sure if I'll be able to up my game count... As a completely unknown game for me, Messiah is certainly out. Theoretically, I can cheese both remaining point-n-clicks with a walkthrough, but this strikes me as disrespectful and unproper. Yes, I would prefer to fiddle with these three without the studies and absolytely abysmal schedule breathing down my neck.

That leaves Asterix. Maybe I'll find enough time to run through it, maybe not, we'll see.

Updated.

Yeah using walkthroughs would be a shame, I agree. Having this much pressure on people is why I cut the minimum number of games per month in half for the next event. I'm actually playing Day Of The Tentacle again myself in that one, wanted to play it with the dev commentary on.

Shoot, the site update sure took longer than expected... I have a full game update for this thread at the ready at home, hope it doesn't try to reload (and I don't forget to copy paste it).

Long story short, I have played through two more games - Pinball Deluxe on Game Boy (mèh), and Kirby's Dream Land on Game Boy (still awesome).

Right, so my computer sadly did not save my post-in-progress, so I'll write it again from scratch. The bit about Pinball Deluxe will suffer from this the most.

In other news, when going through a few boxes in the basement for unrelated reasons, I foudn my cartridge for " Tiny Toons - Buster Busts Loose!". when I did not find this game earlier this year when I connected the SNES again, I figured I must have sold it, but I'm glad to know I still have it. I'll likely have played through it before the end of next week, meaning I'm just one title short of completing six games for this event.

Update

v9dDME0.png

Originally I wrote a little bit about each table but that has already faded away in my memore. Generally speaking, there are a few decent tables in here but a bunch of them feel very empty and many of them have problems with the physics - meaning a ball can go straight into the gutter without you having any chance to stop it. That's bad pinballing.

Personally I did not care for the handheld world until the GBA, because I don't like sub-SNES style graphics. a game like this shows why - these graphics, with bad 8-bit sounds and a slow refresh rate are just not fitting for a pinball game.

YxVECsm.png

I loved Kirby as a kid and the magic is still there. As little as I liked the Game Boy era handhelds, Kirby's Dream Land was always a favourite of mine and it's still awesome.

Hide contents

Games played through
F-Zero (SNES) (finished plenty of times before)
Super Mario World (SNES) (finished plenty of times before)
Pinball Deluxe (GB) (played through a few times before)
Kirby's Dream Land (GB) (finished at least once or twice before)

Games played
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB) (played through Tree and Pumpkin zones) (never played before)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES) (played through Gangplank Galleon) (played but never finished before)

Game systems on list
Super Nintendo, Game Boy (through Super Game Boy SNES cartridge)

Games to play
Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) (never played beyond the first few levels before)
Earthworm Jim (SNES) (never played beyond the first level before)
Jurassic Park (SNES) (played a lot but never finished before)
The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES) (played but never finished before)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES) (played but never finished before)
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (GB) (never played before)

Edited by BillyHorrible
accidentally pressing ctrl during a shift+enter, meaning I posted before I was finished writing

• 2 weeks later...

Games played through
Pokémon Silver (GB, have finished repeatedly)
Sonic Advance (GBA, have finished before)
Mario Tennis (GBC, have finished before)
Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (GBC, have played before)
Pokémon Yellow (GB, have finished repeatedly)

Games played
Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials to Glory (GBA, never played)

Game systems on list
Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance

Games to play

:dance:

Beat DWM. Meh. The story's good, but the repetitive areas (giant block of forest! giant block of ice! giant block of desert!) really make the game feel like it's four times as long. Monster system's pretty interesting too, but probably a bit of a mess without a guide.

Rushed through Yellow with Pikachu/Charizard/Dugtrio/Vaporeon/HM users. Wanted to do a challenge run, but would up being too short on time.

Started Yu-Gi-Oh, but I don't think I'll be finishing it in time.  :(

The RNG needs to hurry up and give me decent cards for my deck... here's hoping this is like the other I've played and you can get by without a solid theme.

• Like 1

On 27-12-2016 at 7:56 PM, SyIaris said:

Reveal hidden contents

Games played through
Pokémon Silver (GB, have finished repeatedly)
Sonic Advance (GBA, have finished before)
Mario Tennis (GBC, have finished before)
Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (GBC, have played before)
Pokémon Yellow (GB, have finished repeatedly)

Games played
Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials to Glory (GBA, never played)

Game systems on list
Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance

Games to play

:dance:

Beat DWM. Meh. The story's good, but the repetitive areas (giant block of forest! giant block of ice! giant block of desert!) really make the game feel like it's four times as long. Monster system's pretty interesting too, but probably a bit of a mess without a guide.

Rushed through Yellow with Pikachu/Charizard/Dugtrio/Vaporeon/HM users. Wanted to do a challenge run, but would up being too short on time.

Started Yu-Gi-Oh, but I don't think I'll be finishing it in time.  :(

The RNG needs to hurry up and give me decent cards for my deck... here's hoping this is like the other I've played and you can get by without a solid theme.

You've been updated in the OP. If you haven't managed to finish Yu-Gi-Oh, just put it on your list for the 2017 event :)

So, here's my final update. About two weeks ago I played Tiny Toon Adventures: BUster Busts Loose, bringing my total of games played through on five. I tried to finish a sixth one, figuring I could quickly finish Super Mario Land 2, but boy was that game boring. I just couldn't bring myself to keep playing through it. I talked about this long enough in my first post after I played the game, so I won't bother with nagging about it even more.

Unfortunately, that means that though I am on a total of seven games played, I've only finished five, which is less than the minimum of six I have put in the rules. Instead of hiding it and pretending I finished SML2 after all, I'd rather wear it like a badge of shame and admit that the initial rules were too strickt. Twelve games in as many months, like the next event has, is much better to plan than over six games in three months (including end of the year work chaos as well as social contact heavy holidays). In the end, I think this event was a lot of fun and I look forward to playing more games for the next event - where I started with the minimum number of games instead of twice the minimum number like I did over here.

Final Update:

Oe0r0Fs.png

While searching through our storage room for something else entirely, I found my Tiny Toons Adventures Buster Busts Loose cartridge quite unexpectedly - after plugging in the SNES again, I did look for it but in the end I figured I had sold it years ago. Seeing as it has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, I set out to play it again right away.

I still think this is a great game. It's not the best or the most original platformer out there, but the visuals and music are fun and reminiscent of the show, there is a great variety in levels and settings and it's a simple clean fun play.

Final stats:

Spoiler

Games played through
F-Zero (SNES) (finished plenty of times before)
Super Mario World (SNES) (finished plenty of times before)
Pinball Deluxe (GB) (played through a few times before)
Kirby's Dream Land (GB) (finished at least once or twice before)

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose (SNES) (finished plenty of times before)

Games played
Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES) (played but never finished before) (put on next year's event's list)

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB) (never played before)

Game systems on list
Super Nintendo, Game Boy (through Super Game Boy SNES cartridge)

Games to play (all except Zelda and Wario Land have been put on next year's event's list)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) (never played beyond the first few levels before)
Earthworm Jim (SNES) (never played beyond the first level before)
Jurassic Park (SNES) (played a lot but never finished before)
The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES) (played but never finished before)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES) (played but never finished before)
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (GB) (never played before)

@NetEntity @SyIaris @Z1MZUM

I'm going to keep this thread open for a wee bit more if any of you want to post a final update, after that I'm locking it in favour of the new event where nostalgia gaming discussions can move to. Thanks to all of you for joining in, it's been fun!

Edited by BillyHorrible

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm going to keep this thread open for a wee bit more if any of you want to post a final update, after that I'm locking it in favour of the new event where nostalgia gaming discussions can move to. Thanks to all of you for joining in, it's been fun!

Thank you for running the event. No final update for me, sadly, beating Discworlds is all I've managed to do.

8 minutes ago, NetEntity said:

Thank you for running the event. No final update for me, sadly, beating Discworlds is all I've managed to do.

Yeah I saw your post in the other event. Have you thought about joining the new one? it combines old nostalgia and retro trophy-based games as well as a smaller number of needed games per month so it might be a lot better to handle.

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Is the locking-feature available again? :o

Haven't found it anywhere yet.

Just now, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah I saw your post in the other event. Have you thought about joining the new one? it combines old nostalgia and retro trophy-based games as well as a smaller number of needed games per month so it might be a lot better to handle.

First half of the year is going to be brutal for me, so I'm not sure that I'll have enough time for even that. I think I'll abstain from any events and just play at my own pace. Don't want to repeat my mistakes all over again.

Just now, Crimson Idol said:

Is the locking-feature available again? :o

Haven't found it anywhere yet.

Geez, I want it back so much. Was one of the reasons I've went premium. Thought it will be really handy for the checklist writing...

Edited by NetEntity

3 minutes ago, NetEntity said:

First half of the year is going to be brutal for me, so I'm not sure that I'll have enough time for even that. I think I'll abstain from any events and just play at my own pace. Don't want to repeat my mistakes all over again.

Don't worry about it :) Personally I want to keep doing old games, hence a new event. My mistake was putting too many games on my lists for both this event and the 100% PS+ backlog event, so I sought to correct those (and I made the requirements for the next event a lot easier to handle). Anyway, the next event allows drop-ins at any time during the year so feel free to join at any point if you end up wanting to play some more old games.

12 minutes ago, NetEntity said:

Geez, I want it back so much. Was one of the reasons I've went premium. Thought it will be really handy for the checklist writing...

For those types of threads it was really handy. For now people starting new checklists have to rely on the fact that people can read any visual hints that they shouldn't post yet and we all know that there's at least one person that won't see big red bold letters.

13 minutes ago, NetEntity said:

That's a feeling similar to mine. Making a list of games never seems to work out for me.

• Like 1