Demo impressions

BlazingCat83

All the people hating the Chibi art style really need to get a grip

The whole game is built around this Chibi style

The stacking system which turns outta be deep wouldn't work or look right if the characters weren't stylised

If you dislike the Chibi so much just move on

Stick to XV

The developers have gone for something majorly different and I honestly feel they deserve props for it

Rather than the torrents of blind, baseless hate just because the minority dislike what's actually an extremely popular artstyle

• Like 1

I got Ifreeti on my 1st try. xD Cockatrice is another one you can get in that fight? Don't know if I'll bother, since I don't think it carries over. You get a small bonus for completing the demo, but that's all I'm aware of. 

Man - I guess I was the unlucky one!

Cockatrice can also be captured there. In fact, so too can the chocochick (you get another pokeball, prism cage, whatever, if you level chocochick), although I haven't done it yet. From what another poster said, you don't get anything other than the satisfaction of knowing that you'll do it all again, but for whatever reason, I feel I have to do it.

All the people hating the Chibi art style really need to get a grip

The whole game is built around this Chibi style

The stacking system which turns outta be deep wouldn't work or look right if the characters weren't stylised

If you dislike the Chibi so much just move on

Stick to XV

The developers have gone for something majorly different and I honestly feel they deserve props for it

Rather than the torrents of blind, baseless hate just because the minority dislike what's actually an extremely popular artstyle

The stacking looked fine to me, when I had my characters in their other forms. They could have made those models for the NPCs, as well. Seeing characters that I've previously only seen as full 3D models all "cutesied up" just feels weird to me. 

Man - I guess I was the unlucky one!

Cockatrice can also be captured there. In fact, so too can the chocochick (you get another pokeball, prism cage, whatever, if you level chocochick), although I haven't done it yet. From what another poster said, you don't get anything other than the satisfaction of knowing that you'll do it all again, but for whatever reason, I feel I have to do it.

Heh. Well, best of luck. :)

I just finished it. Pretty fun, but the Chibi stuff... not a big fan. Wish I could turn that off for everyone, and not just the characters I play as. 

Seriously, why does everyone hate the best part of the game? :(

Do we know if the one mirage that you can get from completing the demo will be required for the platinum?  I was pretty sure there was a trophy for catching every mirage, but I don't know if you can get this one some other way?

I don't think so. Imo, the trophy will be something like National Dex in Pokemon.

Since otherwise, Sepiroth would also have to count and he's DLC-locked.

where do you guys got the demo from, the Japanese store?

I haven't yet re-opening my ps3's JAP account on the ps4 but, last time I checked the other two region and can only find the Vita demo and I have no vita.

It should be available on all stores now.

• Like 1

Seriously, why does everyone hate the best part of the game? :(

The stacking looked fine to me, when I had my characters in their other forms. They could have made those models for the NPCs, as well. Seeing characters that I've previously only seen as full 3D models all "cutesied up" just feels weird to me.

^ Were you not a fan of PS1/PS2/PS3 era Final Fantasy games? Because none of the characters from those games looked like this. It's just weird to me. If they had done all of it "Kingdom Hearts" style, I would have been happy. I have zero issues with the graphics in those games. It's not enough to make me not play the game, though. 

I played the demo yesterday, and like others have mentioned, I found the battle system extremely slow. I turned the battle speed up to max in the options, and I still found myself holding the fast forward button the entire time. It would of made much more sense if it was straight up turn based. Why do we need all this waiting around? I also felt overwhelmed by all the mechanics like stacking, the purpose behind switching to chibi/human form, monster capturing, etc. Of course this was probably because I wasn't paying much attention to the tutorial, but still. :P So yeah, I spent most of the time wandering around, running from every battle because of how boring they were, and then as expected, I got totally rekt by the boss. I'm starting to think I just don't like these monster capturing games. I'm not a fan of Pokemon, and I didn't like Ni no Kuni anywhere near as much as other people did. I didn't bother capturing the monsters much in that game either. :P

I feel like I'm being a little unfair on the game. I'm gonna give it another go because I feel like a lot of my displeasure came from not having a clue what I was meant to be doing, so I'll try my best to understand the mechanics better. I really want to like the game, and I hope my initial opinion changes on it.

Edited by Undead Wolf

I played the demo yesterday, and like others have mentioned, I found the battle system extremely slow. I turned the battle speed up to max in the options, and I still found myself holding the fast forward button the entire time. It would of made much more sense if it was straight up turn based. Why do we need all this waiting around? I also felt overwhelmed by all the mechanics like stacking, the purpose behind switching to chibi/human form, monster capturing, etc. Of course this was probably because I wasn't paying much attention to the tutorial, but still. :P So yeah, I spent most of the time wandering around, running from every battle because of how boring they were, and then as expected, I got totally rekt by the boss. I'm starting to think I just don't like these monster capturing games. I'm not a fan of Pokemon, and I didn't like Ni no Kuni anywhere near as much as other people did. I didn't bother capturing the monsters much in that game either. :P

I feel like I'm being a little unfair on the game. I'm gonna give it another go because I feel like a lot of my displeasure came from not having a clue what I was meant to be doing, so I'll try my best to understand the mechanics better. I really want to like the game, and I hope my initial opinion changes on it.

Didn't play any old school RPG games before have you? It's no different then the ATB on Final Fantasy VII for example, on that one you also had to wait for the ATB to fully charge before you could select an action. The battles ain't slow, they're just old school, in fact the whole game is, that's exactly the point, it's a nostalgia trip for those that grew up with these kinds of RPG.

Didn't play any old school RPG games before have you? It's no different then the ATB on Final Fantasy VII for example, on that one you also had to wait for the ATB to fully charge before you could select an action. The battles ain't slow, they're just old school, in fact the whole game is, that's exactly the point, it's a nostalgia trip for those that grew up with these kinds of RPG.

Oh I have, but it just felt different in this game. I was pretty much just hitting attack over and over again which was why I was getting so bored of it. Again though, I didn't really understand the mechanics which probably contributed to my dissatisfaction with the battle system. It might help if I changed the battle setting in the options to something other than wait mode too. I'll have to mess around with it later.

Oh I have, but it just felt different in this game. I was pretty much just hitting attack over and over again which was why I was getting so bored of it. Again though, I didn't really understand the mechanics which probably contributed to my dissatisfaction with the battle system. It might help if I changed the battle setting in the options to something other than wait mode too. I'll have to mess around with it later.

You're just not used to waiting anymore, I've been playing classic RPG for years and even I was finding myself pressing R1 all the time, we're just in another age of gaming, that's all.

Okay, scratch my initial impressions. :P I just replayed the demo, and I actually made an effort to learn the mechanics this time, and what do you know? I enjoyed it. xD Oh, and it turns out I increased the message speed, not the battle speed when I first played through it... I must of been really out of it when I first played. I'm such an idiot. :facepalm: I mean I was still fast forwarding a lot, but it wasn't as bad as I first thought. I understand how stacking works a little better now, and it was kind actually pretty fun trying to catch all of the monsters. By the time I got to the boss, I took it down easily (MLG pro coming through :giggle:).

Lesson learned: Don't try and play a new game for the first time when I'm extremely tired, especially an RPG. It won't go well. :P 

I can definitely see myself having a lot of fun with this game when it comes out. :)

It's the most Japanese game I've played in a long time. And I mean that in a good way.

I will be waiting and seeing what kind of edition/collection is eventually made available that has all characters and content. The way they've been marketing this so far, I expect a long, expensive stream of "Ooh! Aeris comes to World of FF! Oh look, get Vincent, get black chocobos, get all this stuff! Hey look, Noctis and crew have arrived in Grymoire!" etc. etc. etc.

No. Let me know when you have made all the content you are going to make, and I will get the everything all at once edition.

It's the most Japanese game I've played in a long time. And I mean that in a good way.

I will be waiting and seeing what kind of edition/collection is eventually made available that has all characters and content. The way they've been marketing this so far, I expect a long, expensive stream of "Ooh! Aeris comes to World of FF! Oh look, get Vincent, get black chocobos, get all this stuff! Hey look, Noctis and crew have arrived in Grymoire!" etc. etc. etc.

No. Let me know when you have made all the content you are going to make, and I will get the everything all at once edition.

SE is not one to release GOTY/complete editions of their games unless it's a remaster/port to another console so I wouldn't hold my breath for that if I where you.

I also felt overwhelmed by all the mechanics like stacking, the purpose behind switching to chibi/human form, monster capturing, etc. Of course this was probably because I wasn't paying much attention to the tutorial, but still. :P

I was paying as much attention as I could, and I still didn't see a major advantage to chibi/human. If it stated it, it wasn't overly apparent, imo. I'm also curious to see how many of the captures you can get experience for at a time. I thought it was interesting that even though they didn't partake in battle, they still received full experience.

Gotta go get my copy tonight. UPS didn't leave it like they do all of my other packages.  :facepalm:

I was paying as much attention as I could, and I still didn't see a major advantage to chibi/human. If it stated it, it wasn't overly apparent, imo. I'm also curious to see how many of the captures you can get experience for at a time. I thought it was interesting that even though they didn't partake in battle, they still received full experience.

I could be totally wrong about this, and I probably am, but after playing the demo for the 2nd time, I think I might understand it a little better. I want to say you take more damage in chibi form, but you can bring out larger monsters to fight. It's been a few days since I played it, but I remember I couldn't equip certain monsters when in human form. Maybe you can only bring out the large monsters when in chibi form? I remember when I did bring out large monsters, the chibi characters were riding on top of them, and that would just be cruel if you were a full sized human. :P Take this with a pinch of salt though, because I'm still totally clueless. xD

Edited by Undead Wolf

I could be totally wrong about this, and I probably am, but after playing the demo for the 2nd time, I think I might understand it a little better. I want to say you take more damage in chibi form, but you can bring out larger monsters to fight. It's been a few days since I played it, but I remember I couldn't equip certain monsters when in human form. Maybe you can only bring out the large monsters when in chibi form? I remember when I did bring out large monsters, the chibi characters were riding on top of them, and that would just be cruel if you were a full sized human. :P Take this with a pinch of salt though, because I'm still totally clueless. xD

Err... that's actually obvious, each mirage has a size, small, medium, and large, and you can only have one of each in a stack, the chibi main characters are tiered middle, and the jiant ones are large, so if you want to have a large mirage like Behemoths you have to be chibi form.

Err... that's actually obvious, each mirage has a size, small, medium, and large, and you can only have one of each in a stack, the chibi main characters are tiered middle, and the jiant ones are large, so if you want to have a large mirage like Behemoths you have to be chibi form.

Well clearly not for idiots like me. :P I wasn't paying much attention when I played. It was only a short demo after all.

Wait, seriously? That's why my Behemoth wasn't showing up? How will that effect the game, if you don't use the chibi characters? It'll be way harder? Or do the stats increase? If the former, why even give us the option?...

Wait, seriously? That's why my Behemoth wasn't showing up? How will that effect the game, if you don't use the chibi characters? It'll be way harder? Or do the stats increase? If the former, why even give us the option?...

Well I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's confused about the mechanics in this game. It makes me feel less dumb... but still pretty dumb. :P

• Like 1

Well I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's confused about the mechanics in this game. It makes me feel less dumb... but still pretty dumb. :P

If only I wasn't out of "likes..." Just gonna start saying this everytime I get that message. Maybe Sly will finally increase it. Or I'll get a warning point. One way or another, I am taking a stand! But yeah, I didn't think this was explained very well ingame. 

If only I wasn't out of "likes..." Just gonna start saying this everytime I get that message. Maybe Sly will finally increase it. Or I'll get a warning point. One way or another, I am taking a stand! But yeah, I didn't think this was explained very well ingame. 

Hehe, I do agree with you about that. I get why the like limit is there, but I don't think it would hurt to increase the limit by 5 or something, even if it's just for premium members. I always end up running out of likes when going to the most recent trophy/platinum threads. :(

I'm glad someone else thinks so. I was seriously questioning my RPG skills (or lack thereof) since everyone else seemed to understand the mechanics apart from me. xD

Additionally the graphics on Vita are worse than expected. Especially the aliasing surprised me badly. :/

Why would you look at graphics when you have so many cute characters around you? :/

Buhehehe, now you know the power of chibi :awesome:

• Like 1

Err... You guys for serious? That's the main mechanic of the game, by making certain combinations you'll get specific abilities, or even fuse some of them to create a more powerfull version, like stacking 2 mirage with Fire to upgrade it into Fira for example, it also affects your stats like HP, STR, DEF, etc, for example if you stack Mirages with High STR you'll get a boost and deal more damage, or you could stack ones with high DEF to receive less damage, it's something you'll get by just reading their stats, you don't need a huge tutorial to explain these things, it's common sense... Unless you're new to JRPGs I guess... :hmm: