PS Vita's first social apps announced

Dreakon139

While we recently learned that the successor to the Sony PSP wouldn't reach American soil until 2012, Sony has just announced a few of the social applications the PlayStation Vita will have access to via a free download from the PlayStation Store.

In addition to playing titles like Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Wipeout 2048, the PS Vita will be able to interact with popular social services like Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, and Skype.

The Vita will release in two models: a $250 Wi-Fi only version and a $300 3G-capable iteration. We're not sure yet if the Vita will support Skype over a 3G connection, but we'd be surprised if the 3G Vita's GPS capabilities were not taken advantage of by the Foursquare app.

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20093140-1/ps-vitas-first-social-apps-announced/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Is this interesting to anyone? Those apps seemed pretty obvious to me but it popped up on my Google News widget dealy so I figured I'd post it. I think Skype is the most surprising, what with it being purchased by Microsoft.

This confuses me on multiple levels.

He means PS Vita security ain't good enough.

Kinda - see it just annoys me that more and more people associate their online ID's / Handles with their RL information via social networking and shit.

Frankly I think anyone stupid enough to advertise all of their personal information whilst screaming ♥ ♥ ♥ over a headset on Black ops / RFG is just asking for trouble.

Skype is nice, seeing as the original PSP did that.

Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare, whatever the hell that is, I don't give a damn about.

Some kind of multi-protocol IM tthing would be nice. I'd love to see AIM / MSN / Yahoo support for the thing. But it'll never happen.

Until CFW comes out for it, that is. Tee hee!

• 3 weeks later...