Let's Finish: Demon Gaze

Demon Gaze is one of those games that people have recommended to me before, but first person dungeon crawlers don't really appeal to me, so I haven't bothered with it. I don't know where my dislike for them comes from because I haven't really even played any before. I should probably give them a fair chance, but I'm wondering if this would be a good place to start or not. It's not like super difficult, is it? Would you recommend it to people who are new to the genre?

Demon Gaze is one of those games that people have recommended to me before, but first person dungeon crawlers don't really appeal to me, so I haven't bothered with it. I don't know where my dislike for them comes from because I haven't really even played any before. I should probably give them a fair chance, but I'm wondering if this would be a good place to start or not. It's not like super difficult, is it? Would you recommend it to people who are new to the genre?

I feel like demon gaze is a good place to start for Dungeon Crawlers. While the game can seem difficult at times, it's really not that much harder than most other RPGs. The only hard thing about the game is the bosses. Bosses work only two ways in this game, either you are rofl stomping them or they are rofl stomping you.

I feel like demon gaze is a good place to start for Dungeon Crawlers. While the game can seem difficult at times, it's really not that much harder than most other RPGs. The only hard thing about the game is the bosses. Bosses work only two ways in this game, either you are rofl stomping them or they are rofl stomping you.

Okay then, cheers. I'll look into buying the game. I would like to get my foot in the door with this genre, and this seems like as good a place as any.

I got this game for Christmas last year and couldn't put it down until I got the platinum. Demon gaze is a real treat for anyone who loves dungeon RPGs. This game does have some sporadic difficulty spikes and a couple unbalanced bosses towards the end. If you however read over a guide or two, u should be able to finish this game well before Demon Gaze II is localized.

Sidenote: If any of you are looking for a light dungeon RPG with a battle system similar to Bravely default, may I recommend Ray Gigant. Unfortunately in NA, it's digital only and around $30. I did get it in a flash sell for about $11 and can say it was money well spent. Happy gaming everyone and good luck with completing Demon Gaze!

• Like 2

I used to hate first person dungeon crawlers game, that's why I didn't finish Persona 1; however, I started liking this genre after playing Demon Gaze. This game is not super difficult, but you may have a hard time to fight certain bosses. I think I should call it as a luck-based game because you can kill a certain boss at level 40 (party level) in first attempt, while some ppl have a hard time to kill the same boss at level 60 even they use the same setup, classes, and strategy. You will understand what I am saying after you play this game for a while.

About the good place to start, I suggest you should play Mind Zero instead because it doesn't have luck-based battles except tedious card collector trophy. As long as your party level is high and have good equipment/skill cards then you won't have a problem in fighting against the boss on Expert mode. Unlike Demon Game, you can't pick class for your characters, and there is no "attribute point" system (hopefully, my memory serves me right :P); therefore I think it should be a good game for ppl who are new to this genre because they don't have to worry about using "good" classes or improving wrong stats.

If you hate cliffhanger ending, do not play this game; however, it has a good story imo. I'm still waiting for Mind "One", but I doubt they will make one in the future :(.

First person dungeon crawlers Vita games:

1. Demon Gaze

2. Mind Zero

3. Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy

4. Dungeon Travelers 2: The Royal Library & the Monster Seal

5. Ray Gigant

6. Stranger of Sword City

7. ?????

Edited by hasegawa2010
  • Like 1

I used to hate first person dungeon crawlers game, that's why I didn't finish Persona 1; however, I started liking this genre after playing Demon Gaze. This game is not super difficult, but you may have a hard time to fight certain bosses. I think I should call it as a luck-based game because you can kill a certain boss at level 40 (party level) in first attempt, while some ppl have a hard time to kill the same boss at level 60 even they use the same setup, classes, and strategy. You will understand what I am saying after you play this game for a while.

About the good place to start, I suggest you should play Mind Zero instead because it doesn't have luck-based battles except tedious card collector trophy. As long as your party level is high and have good equipment/skill cards then you won't have a problem in fighting against the boss on Expert mode. Unlike Demon Game, you can't pick class for your characters, and there is no "attribute point" system (hopefully, my memory serves me right :P); therefore I think it should be a good game for ppl who are new to this genre because they don't have to worry about using "good" classes or improving wrong stats.

If you hate cliffhanger ending, do not play this game; however, it has a good story imo. I'm still waiting for Mind "One", but I doubt they will make one in the future :(.

1. Demon Gaze

2. Mind Zero

5. Ray Gigant

7. ?????

Thank you very much for this. It was very helpful! :)

So from what you're saying, since Demon Gaze relies a lot on luck and has more combat options, that makes it tougher for newcomers, so it might not be the best place to start. That makes sense. Mind Zero is another game that has interested me for a while, it's just the whole first person thing that turned me off it. I hear it's kinda like a poor mans Persona. :D Not like that's bad thing of course.

I don't mind cliffhanger endings. I'm used to them by now. It would be nice if there was some kind of continuation though, since that's kind of the whole point of a cliffhanger ending. :P

I think that I'll take you up on your advice. I'll start with Mind Zero, and if I like that one, I'll move onto Demon Gaze, and hopefully a few of the other games you mentioned. I'll have to write them down (or add them to my Amazon wishlist :giggle:). Thanks again!

Dunno if I should join... I have the game but I don't know if I start it before Gaze II xD

1. Demon Gaze

2. Mind Zero

5. Ray Gigant

7. ?????

Wouldn't Ray Gigant be actually more advisable as a first one considering it does not have missable trophies?

Wouldn't Ray Gigant be actually more advisable as a first one considering it does not have missable trophies?

Nope, because it's digital only (jk). I actually haven't play this game, so I don't know the game mechanic, that's why I didn't recommend it; however, I heard it was an easy game compared to those games above. I'm not sure what they mean "easy", easy to understand the game mechanic or easy to plat?. Hopefully, it's the latter one. No missable trophy + easy game...uhm...should be a good game for ppl who are new to this genre if they don't mind buying digital game (or waiting for it is on sale), I think.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8a_QvsQY8CY

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-EJKrGcY0xc

Edited by hasegawa2010

Nope, because it's digital only (jk). 

Oh you :awesome:

Nope, because it's digital only (jk). I actually haven't play this game, so I don't know the game mechanic, that's why I didn't recommend it; however, I heard it was an easy game compared to those games above. I'm not sure what they mean "easy", easy to understand the game mechanic or easy to plat?. Hopefully, it's the latter one. No missable trophy + easy game...uhm...should be a good game for ppl who are new to this genre if they don't mind buying digital game (or waiting for it is on sale), I think.

Yea, should be the easy Plat part.

And it's actually quite often on sale =D I mean, it got ~50% sale in the first month of release, lol =D

If anyone is stuck at a boss, feel free to ask for tips.

This was the first dungeon crawler I played and loved the game a lot, though at first I did have to get used to it. You should know that good equipment are rewarded from battles. The ones you can buy in the store are utter crap (except for the healing staff, which is an unlimited healing item) and once you have enough money to buy some stronger equipment, you'll already have much better ones as drops.

Noooo.... I can't do it...

Why not?

Got the game from the halloween sale not long ago and will be playing it for...the Rain Day event xD so please count me in and i will start on it...eventually.

Count me in.  I plan to finish this game someday.

Sign me up. I recently got my copy in the mail, so I'll get started on it after I finish The Walking Dead and Hyperdevotion Noire.

Well should have the plat by tomorrow so count me in

Awesome, welcome to the event :D.

Dunno if I should join... I have the game but I don't know if I start it before Gaze II xD

It's a Japanese Vita game, I thought you'd be one of the first people to join.

I want to! But Ether Mirage is killing my ass every fucking time, is so hard man. Near the end of the game and can't get to it because of that ridiculous boss fight.

Could you post your setup? So things like level for each character, classes, equipped artefacts for each character, and demons.

This game is not super difficult, but you may have a hard time to fight certain bosses. I think I should call it as a luck-based game because you can kill a certain boss at level 40 (party level) in first attempt, while some ppl have a hard time to kill the same boss at level 60 even they use the same setup, classes, and strategy. You will understand what I am saying after you play this game for a while.

So from what you're saying, since Demon Gaze relies a lot on luck and has more combat options, that makes it tougher for newcomers, so it might not be the best place to start. That makes sense

IMO it depends on what kind of builds you use. The only thing luck influences is what kind of attacks bosses use: sometimes they spam their annoying attacks and sometimes they don't.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

I got this game for Christmas last year and couldn't put it down until I got the platinum. Demon gaze is a real treat for anyone who loves dungeon RPGs. This game does have some sporadic difficulty spikes and a couple unbalanced bosses towards the end. If you however read over a guide or two, u should be able to finish this game well before Demon Gaze II is localized.

Same here, at first I didn't saw the appeal of the game, but by the time I beat Mars, I was hooked. IMO it's definitely one of the best Vita games.

Because I can't find the place in the flood of non-existing games for Vita :awesome:

Would it help if I said there are 3 lolis in the game?

• Like 1

I got frustrated with her, can't lie man. I definitely have to agree with this game being based a little bit on "luck", I  got lucky on my last fight with her, everything went in my favor since the beginning of the fight.

If it makes you feel any better the Aegis Mirror boss has the highest health regen in the entire game.

(Meh, only 3 :awesome:)

One of them is a nekomata-maid.

• Like 1