Why do some people insist in using the god awful PS3 chat over PS Messages?

Mad

I don't do MP much, but if I did I'd have to use PS3 chat for one simple reason: I don't have a smartphone or tablet and will continue to live without one for as long as I can unless it becomes cheaper to have a smart device than a landline.  If Sony would create a version of that program that works on a Windows 7 PC, then I'd have no issues using it.  Of course if I insisted on using PS3 chat I'd advise of the fact that I don't have access to a smart device and I'd be open to options that would work on a PC, though I'm not keen on an android emulator for something like this.

I also agree with a lot of what Dr_Mayus said.  Cellphones are unnecessary for a large portion of the population and definitely for me.  They are certainly convenient, but I'd need to actually go out more for it to be worth it.  I work from home and only go out for errands and such.  Anything I could do with a cellphone can wait until I get home.

Edited by ladynadiad

17 hours ago, t3hmadgamr said:

In 2016? I find that very hard to believe. Even a cheapo smartphone under 100 dollars and no data plan/only wi-fi will suffice.

Except if you're in Canada, where they're over $300 with no plan unless you want some flip-phone.

That being said, tablets are cheap, which is what I use.

4 minutes ago, Caesar Clown said:

Except if you're in Canada, where they're over $300 with no plan unless you want some flip-phone.

That being said, tablets are cheap, which is what I use.

Canada isn't a foreign land where inexpensive phones don't exist. I bought a friend's asian phone a few years ago for $80. At the time, it was worth $400 new, but he upgraded to the newer model and let me have it. It was a decent starter phone.

But sure, if you're going new, you're not really going to find a phone for cheap. You get what you pay for.

For me, the PS Messages app crashes at least once or twice upon starting it up, and it takes a few seconds for new messages to actually load. My WiFi is fantastic (see sig below) and every other app I have on my phone runs perfectly smooth. Yet the PS Messages app takes 10-30 seconds to load a single new message. Now add in an additional 15 messages since everyone is trying to communicate at once, and the app crashes. Reporting and restarting the app takes another 2 minutes, then waiting for the now additional 55 messages since the crash to load is another 3 minutes. The lag from the PS3 chat is so much faster compared to the PS Messages app on my phone.

The thing about Mumble or Discord and that crap, I don't have room on my phone to add those apps. I have important stuff on my phone that I can't delete, and since everything has a 100MB update every other day, my phone gets filled up fast. I've deleted as much of the extra stuff as possible, like music, photos, etc., and still end up running out of space without those apps. So no, the PS Messages app is not always or infinitely better, and no, not everyone with a smartphone can, or even wants to use other apps. 

Because....most had probably drop their phones so many times the screens all f up to read. :P.  Honestly I wouldnt even get a droid if it wasn't paid for by company. 200$/mo is too much for me. But now with app chat i would never go back to ps3 chat...that lag feels like end of the world. 

17 hours ago, t3hmadgamr said:

Also, I never boost with children and hope to god I never see children on here while I boost. I only boost with 20+ year olds.

And you know their age how? Would you kick someone if they were under 20? As that seems pretty ridiculous to me. 

On topic, I prefer the PS3 chat because it is slower, so people type less so there is less to read, a group chat often gets spammed with messages. I also like how I can read most messages from the screen itself without juggling devices

I don't insist on using either and am not too fussed

Edited by midgetstrawdog
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, midgetstrawdog said:

And you know their age how? Would you kick someone if they were under 20? As that seems pretty ridiculous to me. 

On topic, I prefer the PS3 chat because it is slower, so people type less so there is less to read, a group chat often gets spammed with messages. I also like how I can read most messages from the screen itself without juggling devices

PS Messages is also super obnoxious as you end up with over 300+ messages in your ps3 inbox after doing just one or two boosting sessions

19 hours ago, t3hmadgamr said:

Yet you have to pause the game, wait for the laggy chat to load, write out your message - while the game is still running in the background - and then back out of the chat, wait for the laggy PS3 to take you back into the game and then resume. That's not better at all.

Also, I never boost with children and hope to god I never see children on here while I boost. I only boost with 20+ year olds.

Guess what, there are adults who don't have cell phones either.  I'm one of them, I'm 38.  My generation is the last that didn't grow up with cell phones, computers, the net, and social media.  The net and computers started becoming more in common use when I was about done with high school and ready to go off to college.  Cell phones didn't become in more common use until I was in college and I was in my late 20s by the time phones started getting net access.  I got more into the computer side of technology and never really understood the point of cell phones for people outside of those who travel a lot on business.

I probably sound really old, but I don't get the need for most people to have what amounts to a portable computer that can't even do as much as a laptop can.  About the only function of a smartphone I'd like is a GPS, but if I really wanted that so badly, I'd get an actual GPS unit and not a smartphone and save myself the annoyance of people calling me while I'm driving.  If I need to call for an emergency I don't need to pay for service, any cell phone with a charge that can get a signal can dial 911 whether they have service with a carrier or not.  That's a fact a lot of people don't know, but I admit to keeping an old flip phone around for that much and I'll keep saying money each month by avoiding paying for a cell phone and keep my landline instead.

25 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Guess what, there are adults who don't have cell phones either.  I'm one of them, I'm 38.  My generation is the last that didn't grow up with cell phones, computers, the net, and social media.  The net and computers started becoming more in common use when I was about done with high school and ready to go off to college.  Cell phones didn't become in more common use until I was in college and I was in my late 20s by the time phones started getting net access.  I got more into the computer side of technology and never really understood the point of cell phones for people outside of those who travel a lot on business.

I probably sound really old, but I don't get the need for most people to have what amounts to a portable computer that can't even do as much as a laptop can.  About the only function of a smartphone I'd like is a GPS, but if I really wanted that so badly, I'd get an actual GPS unit and not a smartphone and save myself the annoyance of people calling me while I'm driving.  If I need to call for an emergency I don't need to pay for service, any cell phone with a charge that can get a signal can dial 911 whether they have service with a carrier or not.  That's a fact a lot of people don't know, but I admit to keeping an old flip phone around for that much and I'll keep saying money each month by avoiding paying for a cell phone and keep my landline instead.

You don't need a smartphone to use PS Messages.... a tablet is just fine and there are VERY inexpensive decent tablets for under $100 dollars. I also don't buy the excuse of not having money for small electronics since if you're gaming, you must have some form of disposable income. Otherwise, how else could you afford a $100+ PS3 and games?

Honestly, it seems to me you rather complain about kids and the progression of technology. And yes, you are an old fart. My parents are in their late fifties and they have no qualms about using computers or smart phones, much like most older people I know but it's just my experience.

2 hours ago, midgetstrawdog said:

I talk to boosters on mumble and discord and they all like to talk about their lives which is how I know. I doubt any kid would bother to act like a 20+ year old just to fit in. It's also usually only dedicated older boosters who I play with since I play a lot of old PS3 multiplayer games.

Edited by t3hmadgamr

4 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Well Dr, that is just your opinion.  But I love it!

Society today suffers from an addiction to peripheral noise. Instead of seeing the stuff that matters in the real world, people obsess over internet fluff.  How many likes did I get on my Facebook update? What did the Kardashians tweet today?

Social media in today's world is comparable to the lead poisoning of the Roman society 2,000 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Internet...just whenever I see two people at a restaurant and they are both on their phones I think "why did you even go to a restaurant."

I don't really pike the ps3 chat or the app for messaging. I was in a boost a couple months back where I was kicked because I wouldn't use the chat. At that time I only had a ps4 controller to use. But I do have two TVs set up, one HD for my ps4 & one dinosaur from the 90s for my ps3. Usually when I get a message, I just glance up & look at my ps4 screen. I would use ps3 chat more if it weren't so laggy, but then again everything on the ps3 xmb is laggy huh?

And on the thing about children. Kids who play COD & Minecraft are a very different breed of child than the ones that are boosting in 6 year old ps3 games. I couldn't care less as long as they do what they're supposed to & don't talk shit

2 minutes ago, t3hmadgamr said:

You don't need a smartphone to use PS Messages.... a tablet is just fine and there are VERY inexpensive decent tablets for under $100 dollars. I also don't buy the excuse of not having money for small electronics since if you're gaming, you must have some form of disposable income.

Honestly, it seems to me you rather complain about kids and the progression of technology. And yes, you are an old fart. My parents are in their late fifties and they have no qualms about using computers or smart phones, much like most older people I know but it's just my experience.

1. Those $100 decent tablets tend to come with 2 year contracts for service.  Those require paying for service for 2 years or paying an early termination fee.  Tablets with no contracts cost on average hundreds more and the contract route costs more in the long run.

2. Contrary to what you believe, I don't have disposable income at this time.  Even $100 is something that would take months to save up.  This is why I don't have a PS4 yet and only have a PS3 and Vita, which I bought in 2014 and 2013 respectively when I had a job that paid more and left me with extra cash.  Outside of a couple of games I bought this year via Amazon gift cards, everything I'm playing now was bought when I had a better job.

Also, I work from home and only go out rarely.  So for me, there's nothing a tablet could do that my 3 year old laptop cannot and plenty that my laptop can do that a tablet cannot.  If I got a tablet it would be collecting dust with my 3DS.