Why do some people insist in using the god awful PS3 chat over PS Messages?

Mad

PS Messages - with all its flaws - is still 10x better than the awful PS3 chat yet whenever I create boosting groups for PS3 games, there's always, ALWAYS a small minority who insist on using that turd even when I specify that they have to use PS Messages if they want to join my session. I asked one of the boosters why he still insists on using the awful chat over PSM and he simply said that it's easier to use - despite being more cumbersome since you practically need an extra keyboard lying around - and that it's "stressful" to have to look at his phone for any messages.

Can those who prefer the PS3 chat over a superior messaging app please give their reasons and opinion on the topic?

Edited by t3hmadgamr

i used to always use the ps3 chat until i downloaded the app on my ipad and yes its lots easier to use,but one thing i will say using the PS3 chat avoids you having loads and loads of unread messages and sometimes some games they will let you invite everyone who's in a PS3 chat.

but tbh this really isn't that big of a deal to me what people use 

12 minutes ago, t3hmadgamr said:

In 2016? I find that very hard to believe. Even a cheapo smartphone under 100 dollars and no data plan/only wi-fi will suffice.

While true, not too many people know you can have a smart phone without service. Also $100 is a lot of money to spend for some people.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

If you're an adult, this might hold up.  But a lot of gamers aren't adults. Not every parent wants to give their 12 year old kid a phone and pay for it.  A teen's phone should be for safety, not a necessarily a personal computer.  I know I don't want to give my daughter an iphone / android.  She can use a basic phone.

But besides that, for PS3 I personally do like PS3 Chat better.  Why?  Because I don't want to have to have my attention divided among two devices.  While 1000 bad guys are shooting at us in some coop session I don't want to have to look down at my phone away from the screen, unlock my phone, every time someone messages, just to see two players yelling at other in a back and forth in a 50 message back and forth, and somehow miss the single message that actually applies to me in the middle somewhere because I didn't happen to be looking at that exact moment. But even in more organized chats, using a phone means taking 15 seconds to put down my controller, picking up and unlocking my phone and entering my password, waiting for the app to refresh...  And if it goes off 5 times a minute, that means I can't do something timely if I'm supposed to be.

Using PS3 chat, I *KNOW* everyone sees the message as its right on the screen they're supposed to be looking at.  If I send a text message with the app and don't get a response, which is usually the case, I don't know for sure they saw it, because they may have been doing something critical in-game and not stopped to look at their phone until 5 minutes later for the reasons I described last paragraph.  It's easier to see instantly on screen a message that says "Birv, do this"

Yet you have to pause the game, wait for the laggy chat to load, write out your message - while the game is still running in the background - and then back out of the chat, wait for the laggy PS3 to take you back into the game and then resume. That's not better at all.

Also, I never boost with children and hope to god I never see children on here while I boost. I only boost with 20+ year olds.

Edited by t3hmadgamr

Probably because to some people a phone is just a phone, regardless of whether or not it's a smartphone or a regular cell phone. Even for those who have a smartphone there's nothing that says they have to install every single possible app they can so there's probably quite a few people who don't have the smartphone app for PS messaging. The app may make it easier to communicate in certain regards but not everyone plays multiplayer/boosts either so those people as well possibly wouldn't have the app.

Edited by ArchmageJorro

I don't have a smart phone. It's not that it's too expensive, it's just that I don't have much use for it and I spend way too much on games and etc as is. Even if it is only $100 or whatever, why spend $100 on something I'd use once every two months at that?

I do play with a laptop up at all times so much prefer something like steam party chat when I boost.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, t3hmadgamr said:

Yet you have to pause the game, wait for the laggy chat to load, write out your message - while the game is still running in the background - and then back out of the chat, wait for the laggy PS3 to take you back into the game and then resume. That's not better at all.

Also, I never boost with children and hope to god I never see children on here while I boost. I only boost with 20+ year olds.

There's benefits to both to be honest.

PS3 Chatroom Pros:  

You know for sure everyone has access to it.  

Any messages show up instantly on the screen and there's zero chance of missing the message.

You only need to pay attention to one thing ---  vs going back and forth between two screens and two things to hold.

There's no chance of wasting time reading a message that's not relevant to you.

App Pros:

It's arguably faster due to lag.

Again, in my experience:  

I either don't hear my phone buzz and miss something that went to my phone. 

Or it's buzzing so often and frequently enough to the point where I need to put my controller down to be able to read the messages which would take the ENTIRETY of my time, or I feel "forced" to stop looking to be able to pick my controller up again and risk missing something due to too much constant messaging I can't see if its relevant or not whereas this isn't a problem on the PS3 Chat.

You can be surprised by the amount out there who don't have smartphones. They still sell old phones and they sell for super cheap now. You can get them for like £10 now. Most who stick with them mainly just want it for what it is, a phone. To get a good smartphone, they can find themselves paying over 10x the price which could be like a years worth of phone bills for them. It's probably stubborn sticking to a regular phone but not everyone can afford a smartphone or want to pay the extra cost.

That's honestly maybe why there is a few (if it is a small amount) who prefer to use the chat on PS3.

There are a lot of reasons to do and not do certain things. It doesn't matter what it is. Not everyone is going to be on board to use it and they'll be lots of reasons for it. It's quite fun sometimes to think of them. Including adults with no smartphones. Mine still has a side keyboard, a step up from a flip lid. I've never been a fan of phones in general, but they're convenient when you're out of the house. If I were to talk to someone while in co-op, I prefer the computer. What my friends and I used naturally the few times we played together. 

You said in your session that the ps3 chat was unacceptable. If I make a session that requires having a mic and you join it then I expect you to have a mic. Call me cold-hearted, but I would say that that is grounds for being kicked out of the session.

3 hours ago, Qu1ck57r1k3 said:

may not have a smart phone?

Even if they don't have a phone they can still see the psn messages on their ps3 or a computer via playstation.com

Edited by Urushiro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, B1rvine said:

There's benefits to both to be honest.

PS3 Chatroom Pros:  

You know for sure everyone has access to it.  

Any messages show up instantly on the screen and there's zero chance of missing the message.

You only need to pay attention to one thing ---  vs going back and forth between two screens and two things to hold.

There's no chance of wasting time reading a message that's not relevant to you.

I would add that, as a host, I find it easier to organize using the chat since I do have a keyboard and I find typing with it much easier and faster than using a phone. You can input numbers faster, add symbols easier and it's possible to make countdowns easier, TLOU DLC boosting was much easier because of this.

1 hour ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I hate cell phones and think they are one of the worst inventions of all time as they have taken people away from just enjoying the moment they are in and instead worrying about the moments they are missing.

I'm close to this mindset myself too. Having a phone is good for the moments you need to wait for something and you have nothing to do meanwhile, luckly I carry my PS Vita everywhere when I'm out and it covers me pretty well. I go to the bank pretty often to pay some stuff/get paid and same thing when I'm going to mail something I've sold and the Vita had my back in absolutely every situation. It also offers some good backup plan when you are having a friend over and you wanna show them some games (every friend/date I have is or gets to become a gamer eventually).

1 hour ago, Urushiro said:

Even if they don't have a phone they can still see the psn messages on their ps3 or a computer via playstation.com

It's what I'm doing since I came to know about the website, been using it to send messages since I find it much easier than using the ps3 with a keyboard and even easier than using the vita. Only downside is when it logs itself out randomly and I need to log in again, but that's okay since it takes 3 clicks and I'm done.

yeah i agree i hate getting a session together and there are those people who claim to have a phone but refuse the playstation messaging app

they want to use the group chat which takes forever to open and close sometimes and sometimes freezes like...ugh the app is so so much more convenient lol Only reason i see for using group chat is your phone is dead or you dont have a phone :o 

• Like 1

wonderfully mixed opinions ..

personally, not a fan of either! i'm not bringing up the XMB for your message on console, nor PSM on my phone! especially during a boosting session.

if the sessions preferred method doesn't involve a mic,  i'd not take it too seriously..  maybe some variable could throw this off. there are obviously trophies that don't require the communication. but for the most part, communication is at the core of all interactions, gaming and IRL so when something so basic becomes even the slightest cause of disruption, it's probably not the only problem... moving along xD

I take PS App for almost everything when it comes to chat. I hate the old fashioned PS3 Chat because, most of the time, switching between the game and the chat will let the console on a gray screen for minutes, even the console will freeze and screw the session up.

One most annoying part is that every. single. message received since the last time you've been logged on PS3 will appear on the screen, so the notifications never end! At that point, I turn off friends notifications on PS3 since I receive everything from PS App anyway. 

Edited by Maxie the Mouse
  • Like 1

repeating what has been said in favor of the old ps3 chat...i have big hands and a full size wireless usb keyboard with touchpad for PS3...battery lasts for almost a year...can type a paragraph in the time it takes to do a sentence on my phone...in & out of chat with the press of the PS button convenient...messages pop up on screen so i just need to glance at top corner...sometimes a delay between sending/receiving with app makes something like "get off the boat, plz" take a teammate forever to accomplish...sucks when it's a timed mission you're trying to beat...same goes for countdowns like in uncharted or TLoU...exceptional case: in GTA IV being in a PS3 chat and getting disconnected from it can demonstrate a flaw in connection, the reason AWP doesn't unlock for some, that would otherwise be imperceptible so one of the critical factors in monitoring connection is participating in a PS3 chat even if you don't type anything...PS messages useful if i'm not at home but again, can't type very fast, so best while waiting in line or on break at work...discord, skype, headsets my preferred form of ingame communication...great for boosting, cross-game chat with friends, and good co-op alike...so far a combo of voice and PS3 chat have worked fine so haven't looked for anything to replace it...might look into playstation.com but anything on my phone not convenient and tablet/PC either since i play on the couch...tried that for a while with my surface pro...eventually hit the ground...$600 screen replacement...yay!...wait is the battery dying?..."f**k, hold on a sec guys...need to get my charger"...*no outlet nearby so runs an extension cord across the room*...

12 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I don't have a smart phone. I got rid of it last year because I found it a complete waste. When I am out...I am out and want to talk with the person I am with. So I often left my phone at home and then realized I am paying 70 bucks a month for something that is basically a land line...so I just got a land line.

Seriously it is so rude to be on your phone when you are with other people. I hate cell phones and think they are one of the worst inventions of all time as they have taken people away from just enjoying the moment they are in and instead worrying about the moments they are missing.

Now yes there are good reasons to have a cellphone (if you travel often) but for 99% of the population they are completely useless and we all got along perfectly fine without them before and we would get along fine without them if they went away. I mean for the first 26 years of my life I didn't need one and it has been over a year since I got rid of it and haven't missed it one day.

That is just my opinion.

Well Dr, that is just your opinion.  But I love it!

Society today suffers from an addiction to peripheral noise. Instead of seeing the stuff that matters in the real world, people obsess over internet fluff.  How many likes did I get on my Facebook update? What did the Kardashians tweet today?

Social media in today's world is comparable to the lead poisoning of the Roman society 2,000 years ago.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, t3hmadgamr said:

PS Messages - with all its flaws - is still 10x better than the awful PS3 chat yet whenever I create boosting groups for PS3 games, there's always, ALWAYS a small minority who insist on using that turd even when I specify that they have to use PS Messages if they want to join my session. I asked one of the boosters why he still insists on using the awful chat over PSM and he simply said that it's easier to use - despite being more cumbersome since you practically need an extra keyboard lying around - and that it's "stressful" to have to look at his phone for any messages.

Can those who prefer the PS3 chat over a superior messaging app please give their reasons and opinion on the topic?

Eh, I prefer using PS4 voicechat, while playing games, even if on PS3.