Challenge: Boost Your Trophy Grades 2017

October was pretty nice for me. Didn't have much time to play but still did final trophies to 100% The Witcher 3 and got GTA V from E to B, so no ranks lower than C for me this time. And those two Cs are easily fixable, so I keep them for easy dailies. Completion rate improved to 93% despite adding a new game.

November will be business as usual, and in December I'll do a trophy rush of sorts to get my completion rate above 95%. I'll try to obtain all the easier trophies that are left on my current list + I can always complete a couple of Telltale games to slightly boost my overall completion (like Tales from the Borderlands on my PS+ subscription).

By the end of the year, I should have two of my initial goals covered - no ranks lower than A and 95+% completion rate. As for 99 or less unearned trophies, it probably won't happen as many of those are grindy and/or multiplayer-related. But I'll do what I can.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

S ranked another game (Fallen Legion: Sins of an Empire) - it's new so my stats for the other ranks will stay the same. I started another new game, and it's proving to be slightly difficult. The lag isn't so nice, and now I can see that I'll probably won't rush to complete it. Plus, there isn't much info around on how to obtain the rarer trophies. So I can see that I'll be spending the rest of the month possibly platting this.

• Like 2

Well, amazingly I got the plat for Danganronpa V3.  Getting S rank in those minigames was seriously a pain in my ass.

In other news, I don't have any more Vita games that aren't at an A rank already.  So at work I'll just be whittling away towards the Muramasa Rebirth plat until next year I guess since I really don't want to start any new games until next year.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Well, amazingly I got the plat for Danganronpa V3.  Getting S rank in those minigames was seriously a pain in my ass.

In other news, I don't have any more Vita games that aren't at an A rank already.  So at work I'll just be whittling away towards the Muramasa Rebirth plat until next year I guess since I really don't want to start any new games until next year.

Sounds like a plan. I used to be really good at completing my Vita games, but I think I have a few E ranks there. 

20 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Sounds like a plan. I used to be really good at completing my Vita games, but I think I have a few E ranks there. 

I'm mostly good at completing the Vita games because I play it during breaks at work, so that ensures a bit over an hour of playtime each weekday and that really adds up quickly.  Muramasa Rebirth is a good pick since I've still got a lot of trophies left and they aren't all grindy ones like the ones left in FFX and FFX-2 so it will be a nice completion boost since I still have hopes of making my goal of 85% completion by the end of the year.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It has been awhile and a monthly update:

S - 64
A - 34
B - 0
C - 2
D - 0
E - 1
F - 1

Been really getting into Toukiden AOD on the Vita and only playing this game for the whole month. It is a long game and currently already a little over 200 hours into the game. I'm not sure if I will ever complete this game to S due to the steep requirements of having to complete everything. When it comes to RNG in this game I have a tough luck getting Mitama drops and still stuck on some solo boss missions. My current longest JRPG game time is Disgaea 4 getting everything done at around 270 hours. For this game it will probably take me upward 300+ hours and more if I ever want to get to S. I enjoyed this game a lot for its similarity to games like Monster Hunter as I played one of those on the Wii and immensely enjoyed fighting large monsters and collecting rewards. I will keep going and continue this long road.  

• Like 4

One month to go and I’m still only at an average rank of C against a challenge target of A, by my adding up I need to move 16 existing games up to an A Rank, which I’m not optimistic in achieving what with being busy getting ready for Christmas.

As an individual month November went quite well, I’ve just completed Guardians of the Galaxy to attain my 20th platinum.  I really enjoyed the game, the humour was in keeping with the movies, with good interplay between the characters and good use of music for both the fight scenes and the emotional bits.

• Like 1

Yeah, one month to go and there's so very much no way I'm getting everything to A rank. But hey, don't let stuff like that deter you guys.  Just keep trying to make any progress and see if you can make some of the smaller goals.  Like for me, getting everything to A rank would mean 0 E, D, C, and B ranks.  Well, I could possibly get myself to 0 E ranks.  I'll need to pretty much finish the story in FFXIII, but Resonance of Fate only needs 4 more trophies to get D rank in it.

And hey, when I joined this site, my average completion % was below 70% (and I also only had like 13 plats).  Now it's actually doable for me to get it to 85% before the end of the year.

Also as a heads up, not sure how doable updating is going to be.  My main laptop is on the fritz and I had to swap to my spare until I can get the main fixed.  My spare is a dinosaur I bought back in 2010 and freaked me out today by failing to start windows upon a restart (fixed that with a system restore though) and a lot of stuff just isn't working like it should (most of my steam games won't start, youtube videos won't display video, etc.).  It probably should be mostly doable, but might be slow going.

• Like 2

November Report

With this month i tried to get my 50th platinum. I did some easier platinums to get closer to it monster jam & mx vs atv supercross. In the last week I went back towards TLOU remastered to try and get that one as my 50th. But during during the second to last chapter i saw i was missing a couple on optional convo's 1 shivdoor and some parts for my last weapon upgrade. So in december i will get my 50th platinum. During this month i got back to my vita and enjoyed it alot, in the future i hope it will get some cool PS+ games as living in the Netherlands we dont have any 2nd hand vita games for a decent price. 

The last month, let's make it a good one! 

My stats now (dec 1) compared to nov 1

Current stats / goal

S: 49 +4 / 30 

A: 40 = / 40 

B: 12 = / 20 

C: 12 -1 / 14 
D; 5 
+1 / 0  
E: 5 = / 0 
F: 1 = / 0 

Completion: 61.99% + 1.45%  

# of games played: 123 + 4  

# of completed games: 49 + 4 

# of unearned trophies: 1973 - 25

Trophies per day: 1.12 + 0.02

World rank: 70492 - 4994 

Country rank: 994 - 90 

Trophy rarity:  43.68%  +0.02%

Edited by ghostly-legend
  • Like 2

November 1 Update:

S Ranks 123 => 129 (+6)

A Ranks 26 => 28 (+2)

B Ranks 8 => 8 (0)

C Ranks 21 => 21 (0)

D Ranks 6 => 6 (0)

E Ranks 11 => 11 (0)

F Ranks 0 => 0 (0)

Completion Percentage: 73.20% => 74.11 (+ 0.91)

Number of Platinums: 114 => 120 (+6)

Number of Trophies earned in October: 363 (highest trophy count in a month ever)

So I had every plan to finish a bunch of new games and try to crack that E and D ranks. Then Marvel Heroes Omega announced they were closing. I started playing that, and then the day before Thanksgiving it was announced it was closing on Friday. I played through to Friday and didn't finish, but the servers didn't go off either. Then I heard it was closing Monday. So I played all weekend, into Monday morning, didn't sleep. I finished at 5 am. The servers went down 11 am my time. I made it and got the platinum but felt a bit burnt out so the last week I slowed down a bit. I certainly won't hit my D rank goal, but a small chance for an E rank goal (but probably not).

• Like 3

November update:

S - 66

A - 6

B - 1

C - 3

D - 3

E - 11

F - 0

Nothing much has changed. I forgot to add a new game - Time & Eternity - from months ago. I got it to a D rank then, and I think I'll be working on this before the new year. I'm just a handful of plats away from my S rank goal. I don't think I'll make it because I only have 1 easy plat, and December is usually a pretty busy month for me. I think I can get 2 or 3 more plats for the month.

For next year, I'll try to be a bit more realistic. I also want to shave down my PS3 backlog by half.

• Like 3

I'm going to complete 2/3 of my goals in December and then will continue this challenge next year. I still have many games with obtainable trophies which I haven't started grinding yet. Hopefully, I'll get a short vacation before Christmas to help me with some grind and/or Telltale completion boost:comp:

Currently I only have one game with B rank, and it's an easy Platinum I'm saving for later. The rest are ranked A or S. My completion rate is 93.99% and the target is 95%. I have less than 200 trophies to earn (195) so the 99- goal probably won't be met this year. But I'll do my best to get the number as low as possible and then will continue the challenge.

Of course, I didn't have 1,000+ unearned trophies to begin with, but I still finished some bigger games (Witcher 3, Arkham Origins, Alien: Isolation) and got closer to completing GTA V. I'm satisfied with my progress in general. I think, next year it's also business as usual and then I'll need to bring out my backlog in its full glory to start another challenge. I have lots of games to play, and I'll probably download as many as I can to my PS3 and PS4. I may even use an external hard drive, I have one currently not in use. A funny thought - all these games (30, 50, maybe more) started with one trophy earned in each :pimp:

• Like 4

Completion Percentage 83.69 -> 83.87

Plat 56 -> 58

S 54-> 56

A 35 (NC)

B 3 (NC)

C 1 (NC)

D,E,F 0

On 15/10/2017 at 10:33 AM, Edunstar84 said:

Started Final Fantasy Type-0 today. It's an awesome game so far. Only played a couple of hours. 

Good taste

• Like 2

I wont complete my goal 100% since i wont go back towards wipeout HD, capcom arcade cabinet & TDF 2012

However i will try to boost my grades on: Crash trilogy, Lords of the Fallen, Bioshock, Hotline Miami & Metro Last Light

My goal was to have nothing below c rank but those 3 games will stay E & D ranks for atleast this year (probably forever)

Going to start with Metro! 

• Like 1

I don't think I'll be able to reach all my goals (112 platinums, 130 S ranks, 11 A ranks, 3 B ranks, 1 C rank, 0 D ranks, 2 E ranks, 0 F ranks).

Here are my current stats: 112 platinums, 129 S ranks, 18 A ranks, 0 B ranks, 2 C ranks, 1 D rank, 4 E ranks, 0 F ranks.

130+ S ranks is possible. I'm currently playing Tales of Berseria and Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends. Both are doable this year, I intend to get them done within a week or two.

As will go down to 16 with ToB and DW8XL, but might go up to 17 again when I start Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen on PS4 around Christmas. It's unlikely they'll be at 11 at the end of the year. 15 or 14 could be doable if I don't start DDDA and play other games instead, but I don't think that's what I'm going to do.

B ranks are already at 0, there's next to no way to fail this goal. I don't intend add that many new games to my account this year to get to 4+ Bs. It'll stay at 0 or maybe increase by 1 depending on my progress in DDDA.

As of now, there are no plans of going back to any of my C ranks this year. Resonance of Fate and Atelier Rorona will stay C for a while longer. The same goes for my D (Final Fantasy XV), I don't intend to play it this year. With the recently announced 2018 DLCs, I'll wait for them to release to play through everything at once.

One of my Es might see play. Albeit not highly likely, it's not out of the question to make some progress in Soul Sacrifice. S rank for SS won't happen this year, though. There's no way I'll play the other Es this year.

Overall, I'll clear four goals and fail the other four.

Edited by viech54
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A little December update:

S - 64 - 65 (+1) 
A - 34 - 33 (-1) 
B - 0 - 0 (+0)
C - 2 - 2 (+0)
D - 0 - 0 (+0)
E - 1 - 1 (+0)
F - 1 - 1 (+0)

Percentage of Completion % : 85.97 - 86.25

Unearned Trophies: 732 - 724 

Platinums: 93 - 94

It was quite a really long gaming experience playing Toukiden AOD but I managed to reach S before the end of year bringing up S rank to 65. I finished at around 450 hours over a 2 month period but some of the time were spent idling and keeping notes on how to approach this long game. Unfortunately I couldn't reach my goal at the end as I'm missing one S rank and one A rank. This had been a nice gaming year for me and getting to play some great RPGs but gaming on the PS Vita was the best thing. Thank you @ladynadiad for compiling the spreadsheet on our gaming progress. It was nice to see how closer we are getting to our goal. I will continue to pursue for my goal next year and probably be making new goals. In regards to choices of games I decide to enjoy more Vita RPGs like Tales of Hearts R, World of Final Fantasy, Ys Origins, Ys VIII etc and start working on my PS3 backlog. Hope everyone had a great gaming year and Happy New Year!

Edited by fantrig99
  • Like 1

End of the year, so I just wanted to apologise for disappearing in the summer - I ended up with much less time for gaming than I'd expected, so I decided to just set my completion rate and trophy grades on fire rather than stressing out.

Nice job running the thread, @ladynadiad - congratulations to everyone who met their goals, and to everyone who didn't but had fun along the way. ? 

Edited by Fitzquaid
  • Like 2

Hey there everyone, sorry that I dropped off the face of this thread for a few months, I've been really busy between work, my CPA studies, Weeblympics & other things. Just wanted to give a quick final update on my progress: I failed my goal of reducing my unstarted games in spectactular fashion, but at least I was able to demolish my previous Plat record with 44 of them this year, also managed to blow past my goal for S ranks by ending the year with 117 of them, enough to bring my average rank up from an "A" to an "S". I was able to bring my A's down to below 50 as well, while the rest of my grades.... Are a work in progress. Thanks for helping to inspire me this year to finish alot of my games off, enjoy the rest of 2017!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

And I'm going to go ahead and say now, I'm just not going to have the time to run this again next year.  Anyone else is welcome to take over and I'll gladly participate.

I'll be pretty busy until the end of May, but not too busy to update once a month within the first week of the month. If someone with more free time (or anyone else) wants to do it, go ahead. If no one creates the 2018 version until next weekend, I'll do it.

Also, Happy New Year! May your trophy hunting endeavours go well!