Challenge: Boost Your Trophy Grades 2017

This month is looking good so far. 100% in Danganronpa 1・2 Reload, Magic 2012 (one of my older games from 5 years ago) and Deponia, as well as almost 100% in Magic 2013 and Bloodborne. Also made some progress in Tomb Raider, but that's me letting someone play the game on my account. Yes, shame on me for not getting the trophies personally, but I don't even own the game, it was my sister who added it to my account and never made more progress than the first 4% of the trophies and Tomb Raider is not exactly the type of game I enjoy. So I'm fine with not being the one to earn the trophies.

I'll most likely get up to four more plats/100% this month. One of them is Bloodborne, another one is Oceanhorn, then there's Magic 2013 and Tomb Raider. I'll start Oceanhorn today, it should be out of the way tomorrow or on Wednesday. There's not much left to do in Bloodborne, it could be over this week too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, viech54 said:

This month is looking good so far. 100% in Danganronpa 1・2 Reload, Magic 2012 (one of my older games from 5 years ago) and Deponia, as well as almost 100% in Magic 2013 and Bloodborne. Also made some progress in Tomb Raider, but that's me letting someone play the game on my account. Yes, shame on me for not getting the trophies personally, but I don't even own the game, it was my sister who added it to my account and never made more progress than the first 4% of the trophies and Tomb Raider is not exactly the type of game I enjoy. So I'm fine with not being the one to earn the trophies.

I'll most likely get up to four more plats/100% this month. One of them is Bloodborne, another one is Oceanhorn, then there's Magic 2013 and Tomb Raider. I'll start Oceanhorn today, it should be out of the way tomorrow or on Wednesday. There's not much left to do in Bloodborne, it could be over this week too.

Shame about what happened, but glad that your sister is playing it again. Hopefully she doesn't 100% the game until AFTER you earn your 100th plat.

1 hour ago, Edunstar84 said:

Shame about what happened, but glad that your sister is playing it again. Hopefully she doesn't 100% the game until AFTER you earn your 100th plat.

Why's that? It doesn't matter as long as it's not my 100th plat. As long as it's no milestone, I don't care.

45 minutes ago, viech54 said:

Why's that? It doesn't matter as long as it's not my 100th plat. As long as it's no milestone, I don't care.

Since you're so close to 100, I'd thought you'd have your sister wait until you got there first. Tomb Raider isn't a difficult game to plat.

4 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Since you're so close to 100, I'd thought you'd have your sister wait until you got there first. Tomb Raider isn't a difficult game to plat.

That won't happen, I'll make sure of that. I can hold off on getting the plat in one of the games I'm currently playing until the game's done. As far as I'm aware, it won't take much longer. The multiplayer is already out of the way.

Edited by viech54

Completed Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas. It's not even required to beat the final boss for the plat. As usual, minigames were annoying, I'm glad that's out of the way.

Tomb Raider is also at 100% and my account has 99 plats. I'm not sure what I want as my 100th plat. It could be Bloodborne, that wouldn't take too long, but I kinda want to play the game with a friend. We'd do the parts of the game that I still need for the plat. But having a game like Clockwork Tales: of Glass and Ink as a milestone is quite likely not what I want. That game is too easy to be a milestone and I also have no idea if I like it or not. On the other hand... I never planned my milestones and didn't care at all so far. Why start now? My trophy cabinet is closer to what I consider my personal milestones or trophies I'm proud of than the milestones on this site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, viech54 said:

Completed Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas. It's not even required to beat the final boss for the plat. As usual, minigames were annoying, I'm glad that's out of the way.

Tomb Raider is also at 100% and my account has 99 plats. I'm not sure what I want as my 100th plat. It could be Bloodborne, that wouldn't take too long, but I kinda want to play the game with a friend. We'd do the parts of the game that I still need for the plat. But having a game like Clockwork Tales: of Glass and Ink as a milestone is quite likely not what I want. That game is too easy to be a milestone and I also have no idea if I like it or not. On the other hand... I never planned my milestones and didn't care at all so far. Why start now? My trophy cabinet is closer to what I consider my personal milestones or trophies I'm proud of than the milestones on this site.

Yeah, you don't want a game like Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink as a milestone.  As you said it's easy, but it's also a weaker entry from that dev, like so weak that I'd only recommend it if it's free or cheap and you've played their other games already.  It wouldn't be so bad if your milestone was at least a good Artifex Mundi game like Nightmares From the Deep: The Cursed Heart or Grim: Legends: The Forsaken Bride, or even Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood (I think all of these are on PSN?), but Clockwork Tales was just so meh and unremarkable.  If you like the gameplay, I'd definitely recommend these three because they have much stronger storylines.

And keep in mind, I love those sorts of games and own a very large number of them on PC.  I think a good milestone is going to be a game that you'd be proud of people knowing you played it, so it should be reflective of your normal tastes at the very least.  I think there's nothing wrong with a hidden object game, but I also think it might better suit someone like me where they are among my favorite genre rather than something new that you aren't even sure if it's to your taste and is a lackluster entry to boot.

1 hour ago, ladynadiad said:

Yeah, you don't want a game like Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink as a milestone.  As you said it's easy, but it's also a weaker entry from that dev, like so weak that I'd only recommend it if it's free or cheap and you've played their other games already.  It wouldn't be so bad if your milestone was at least a good Artifex Mundi game like Nightmares From the Deep: The Cursed Heart or Grim: Legends: The Forsaken Bride, or even Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood (I think all of these are on PSN?), but Clockwork Tales was just so meh and unremarkable.  If you like the gameplay, I'd definitely recommend these three because they have much stronger storylines.

And keep in mind, I love those sorts of games and own a very large number of them on PC.  I think a good milestone is going to be a game that you'd be proud of people knowing you played it, so it should be reflective of your normal tastes at the very least.  I think there's nothing wrong with a hidden object game, but I also think it might better suit someone like me where they are among my favorite genre rather than something new that you aren't even sure if it's to your taste and is a lackluster entry to boot.

Well, I did enjoy some point and click adventures and disliked others quite a bit. It's a bit of a hit-and-miss with this genre. Clockwork Tales: of Class and Ink is on sale in the German PSN store, I got it for a reasonable price (3.99 €). What I can say so far is that the game is okay, some of the other point and click adventures on my account are far worse than this. At least the music is calming which is what I need after the Fish Stick trophy in Oceanhorn (damn fish glitched way too frequently, i. e. Botfish and Ghost Fish took no damage even though they should have taken damage and the controls against the Ghost Fish were not really inverted, but randomized for me). The graphics are good and, while it might not be the best Artifex Mundi game, I'm having an above average experience with it (considering the other point & click adventures I played and also without comparing it to other games). By the way, I wouldn't know how good or bad it is compared to other Artifex Mundi games as it is my first one. I started with this because it is on sale.

And thanks for your opinion, I'll be sure to take a look at these games someday. Or I could use them to get me to Lv. 28 right now. We'll see.

My milestones are already a mess with games I don't like as, for example, my 75th platinum. I don't think I'm going to start caring about them now. I'm fine with Clockwork Tales: of Glass and Ink as 100th plat. It's certainly better than some other milestones.

Got Clockwork Tales: of Class and Ink to 100%. It's not a bad game, but the story is definitely lacking. There was no proper introduction for the characters, too many things were taken for granted. There was not much character development for the protagonists and the antagonist and I didn't really get to know the characters as well. The characters seemed to know each other, but we never learn why. Is this a sequel? If so, that's explain why it's like this.

I still don't really know what to make of Artifex Mundi games. Clockwork Tales has its good points, the music, the art and the puzzles are good, but the story and the characters not so much. I think I'll play more of their games, but won't use them to boost me to Lv. 28 right now. Another one of their games, Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek. is currently on sale in my region, I'll give that a go next.

edit: Eventide: Slavic Fable, Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren's Call, Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart and Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek are on PSN. Would you recommend one of them in particular?

Edited by viech54

5 hours ago, viech54 said:

Got Clockwork Tales: of Class and Ink to 100%. It's not a bad game, but the story is definitely lacking. There was no proper introduction for the characters, too many things were taken for granted. There was not much character development for the protagonists and the antagonist and I didn't really get to know the characters as well. The characters seemed to know each other, but we never learn why. Is this a sequel? If so, that's explain why it's like this.

I still don't really know what to make of Artifex Mundi games. Clockwork Tales has its good points, the music, the art and the puzzles are good, but the story and the characters not so much. I think I'll play more of their games, but won't use them to boost me to Lv. 28 right now. Another one of their games, Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek. is currently on sale in my region, I'll give that a go next.

edit: Eventide: Slavic Fable, Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren's Call, Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart and Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek are on PSN. Would you recommend one of them in particular?

Clockwork Tales isn't a sequel, but it is based on a story and that seems to weaken the entry.  Any sequels will always be indicated with a number in the title.  The points you mentioned are pretty much why I consider it to be a weaker entry.  The genre isn't exactly known for its amazing storytelling and character development since it's more about the mystery and puzzles.  But there are definitely entries that do a better job with the story than others.  The thing is, most of the sequels stand alone just fine and the issues of people pretty much knowing each other isn't as huge of an issue in other games because they will at least establish how the characters know each other even if it's a simple comment like that person is the heroine's daughter or this person is their teacher, etc.

Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart is probably the best of the ones you mentioned.  While the character of the heroine isn't established well, I think it does a great job with the setting and the antagonist and really the heroine doesn't need as much characterization beyond what she has because she's a normal person thrust into a crazy situation and the crazy stuff like all the undead pirates is going to be much more interesting than the normal woman trying to deal with this.  Of the ones you listed, I'd recommend this one the most.  Siren's Call is solid enough, but it does suffer from being the second game in a trilogy and being sandwiched between two good games.

Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek is okay.  It's definitely better than Clockwork Tales, but then all the games you listed are, but it will feel a bit dated compared to other entries.  I think Enigmatis 2 is better, but Ghosts of Maple Creek is solid and enjoyable, but in this trilogy the second entry is actually the strongest so far (I haven't played the third one yet though).

Eventide is not a bad game at all, but it's highly unremarkable.  I had to actually go look it up to remind myself what the setting was and I just can't remember the story.  Ghosts of Maple Creek is a bit better, but Eventide is definitely enjoyable and it actually has some really nice art, but it's just not a standout as being really good or really bad.

So overall, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those because they are all better than Clockwork Tales, but Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart is definitely the best among them and one of the best I've seen from Artifex Mundi overall.

22 hours ago, viech54 said:

But having a game like Clockwork Tales: of Glass and Ink as a milestone is quite likely not what I want. That game is too easy to be a milestone and I also have no idea if I like it or not.

That game is my 5th platinum milestone and I am proud of it. If you look past the 'easy' part, going through the story once is always fun. That's why I have almost of the current Artifex Mundi titles on my list. But then, I know you have standards so I won't begrudge you.

14 hours ago, viech54 said:

Glad to see some fellow Mundiheads(my term) in the forum. I don't care what people claim to be jerkish statements on these games,  These games are the heralds of an age thought long dead thanks to the new approach to them using voice acting and puzzle elements. I would definitely recommend any of the games you listed but if you don't have PS Plus or don't want to back up your saves often, then the Nightmares from the Deep series is not a good idea - there is a trophy requiring you to complete a game of Majong (which you can do in lieu of doing the hidden object puzzles) in less than a minute and if you don't get it, you can't redo the game and later games of Majong are much harder so it's best to back up your save just before you start the very first puzzle so you can download it from the cloud if you don't get the trophy. Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride has a similar trophy but you can do an exploit to make the game easier to win in less than a minute. ;)

Edited by MidnightCJ

53 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

Glad to see some fellow Mundiheads(my term) in the forum. I don't care what people claim to be jerkish statements on these games,  These games are the heralds of an age thought long dead thanks to the new approach to them using voice acting and puzzle elements. I would definitely recommend any of the games you listed but if you don't have PS Plus or don't want to back up your saves often, then the Nightmares from the Deep series is not a good idea - there is a trophy requiring you to complete a game of Majong (which you can do in lieu of doing the hidden object puzzles) in less than a minute and if you don't get it, you can't redo the game and later games of Majong are much harder so it's best to back up your save just before you start the very first puzzle so you can download it from the cloud if you don't get the trophy. Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride has a similar trophy but you can do an exploit to make the game easier to win in less than a minute. ;)

Didn't know Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride is available on PS4.

When going there and listing all games alphabetically, it doesn't tell me that they released a PS4 port. https://www.artifexmundi.com/g/

Seems like I should look at each game individually at some point. Thanks for telling me.

I have PS+, that's no problem. Better learn the Majong basics soon, I have no idea how to play the game.

53 minutes ago, viech54 said:

Didn't know Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride is available on PS4.

When going there and listing all games alphabetically, it doesn't tell me that they released a PS4 port. https://www.artifexmundi.com/g/

Seems like I should look at each game individually at some point. Thanks for telling me.

I have PS+, that's no problem. Better learn the Majong basics soon, I have no idea how to play the game.

It's mahjong solitaire so it's just a matter of match tiles until they are gone and the game itself will show how to play.  The first few only have a few types of tiles and not many blocked or covered.  The later ones will have more types and a lot more blocked and covered.  If you run out of matches it shuffles for you and you have unlimited shuffles.  Yeah, that's the one drawback to some of the better games by Artifex Mundi, you're looking at two playthroughs for all the trophies.  Enigmatis: Ghosts of Maple Creek and Eventide: A Slavic Fable don't have a minigame like that.

I'm actually surprised they kept that for the console ports because it's hard enough on PC and console controls in hidden object games tend to be much more clunky compared to point and click with a mouse.  I know its not their fault, it's not easy to adapt mouse controls to a controller and sadly Vita has too small of an install base to be practical because those sorts of games would be perfect on Vita with the touch controls.

I checked their site and whoa, there are SO many point-and-clicks they have on the PC - Lost Grimoires, Queen's Quest, Demon Hunter and so many more! I am going to snap up Eventide on PSN as soon as I can to give them support so they put these other games out. Sure, it's 50 or so easy platinums but the stories are awesome. :D

10 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

I checked their site and whoa, there are SO many point-and-clicks they have on the PC - Lost Grimoires, Queen's Quest, Demon Hunter and so many more! I am going to snap up Eventide on PSN as soon as I can to give them support so they put these other games out. Sure, it's 50 or so easy platinums but the stories are awesome. :D

Yeah, that's why I play them on PC, along with the controls seeming more natural on PC when it comes to point and clicks and hidden object games.  They tend to release there first and it seems to take a year or more for PSN to get them.  Like I finished Eventide back in March of 2016, and I didn't get it on release.  Some of those are only published by them and developed by other devs, but they do tend to pick decent quality games to publish.  I've only played the first Demon Hunter and Queen's Quest, haven't played Lost Grimoires yet.

Got the plat in Enigmatis: Ghosts of Maple Creek and prepared The Walking Dead: A New Frontier for the release of hte 5th episode next Tuesday. With this, I'll go back to my regular games.

Here's the plan:

- Complete Bloodborne and TWD: A New Frontier: Both might happen this month.

- Start and complete Magic 2014: It's the last Magic: The Gathering game on Sony's hardware, time to get a good deck and have some fun once more.

- Start and complete Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception.

- Make some progress in some of my older games such as Dishonored and Resonance of Fate.

- Maybe play some shorter games here and there if I need a break from the longer games.

I don't expect to be able to do everything until July 11th, 2017. That's the German release date for Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, this game will take up most of my free time and I'll put everything else on hold as soon as I get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MidnightCJ said:

Should I mention that Enigmatis 2 is coming out in two days? NAAAAAAH... :P

I won't preorder it, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks :)

Made more progress in Bloodborne, collected all weapons and defeated the remaining bosses in the DLC. All that's left are the Chalice Dungeons (the hardest part of the game). After the bosses, I'm not in the mood for more BB today, they will have to wait until tomorrow or later next week.

So, Magic 2014 it is.

• Like 1

Just now, viech54 said:

I won't preorder it, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks :)

Joke's on you! It's not pre-orderable, it's probably going to be a digital download only like its prequel and all Artifex Mundi games. xD

I'll try to earn a trophy and put the progress up today. MapleStory is sucking the life out of me but there are so many events coming that I don't want to skip. :( Luckily I got involved in a hush-hush plat race that I can't mention about that will be announced in mid-June so that should stop the Maplers.

3 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

Joke's on you! It's not pre-orderable, it's probably going to be a digital download only like its prequel and all Artifex Mundi games. xD

I'll try to earn a trophy and put the progress up today. MapleStory is sucking the life out of me but there are so many events coming that I don't want to skip. :( Luckily I got involved in a hush-hush plat race that I can't mention about that will be announced in mid-June so that should stop the Maplers.

That's odd, most digital only games can be pre-ordered. But I don't see this in my PSN store.

Good luck with that.

Edited by viech54