Challenge: Boost Your Trophy Grades 2017

My bit of progress:

:platinum: #41 and S rank #72

1L0ba9ec.png

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (Vita)

I wouldn't recommend this game if you're not a die-hard AC fan or a hall-of-fame completionist. I haven't played the HD version on PS3 but I'm sure it's better than this one.

It's an easy enough Platinum, despite the rarity score here, but you'll have to overcome mediocre storytelling, clumsy controls and overall navigation, a bunch of meaningless and unmapped collectibles, and somewhat glitched/unclear cumulative trophies (yes, bloody Tree Ninja, I'm poking me claw at ya). Also Vita-specific features don't work as intended - pickpocketing, revealing secrets in documents, that Aztec puzzle... ugh...:facepalm:

In other related news, I got my hardcore Crusader to level 70 in Diablo III: RoS, so now I have 2/6 characters ready. It was easy starting at Hard mode, only some monsters could withstand my holiness a bit longer, and thanks to a re-enchanted kick-ass sword's level requirements (-23 levels) and default XP boost it finally became a cakewalk. Even as cakewalky as my first Barbarian playthrough on Normal.

Overall, my progress looks good. Completion rate climbed beyond 86%, and only 463 unearneds left. I also have many easy trophies for my "a trophy a day" whoring routine while grinding something else.

Edited by K0t0bl1tz
  • Like 2

Having just finished Season 1 of A Casual Attack on Your Backlog where I'm aiming to finish at least 6 previously started on games per season (3 months) I thought I would post an update here on the difference made to my trophy grades.

• Rank S +1
  • Rank A +7
  • Rank C +1
  • Rank E -6
  • Rank F -3    *my stats don't have Fs in them as I delete them, so this is anything previously unstarted or no trophy so far.

The high number of A rather than S is because that event allows goals such as story completion rather than needing to 100% everything, which suits me as I have a silly number of games in my backlog that I want to play but not necessarily to 100%, although I've purposefully picked off all the trophies I could get along the way to get them to rank A as my aim for 2017 is to move my average grade from D to A.

I've also joined the Spring Backlog Challenge which is more orientated towards 100% completion, I'm using that challenge to clear my backlogs of Telltale and Lego games.  I haven't started anything on that challenge yet but will update on here at the end of it.

My third and final approach to boosting my trophy grades is to stop adding to my backlog of Rank E/F games by setting myself a goal to complete any games I buy that are released this year.  My goals won't necessarily be to get to 100% but I will always aim for story completion and/or Rank A within 3 months of buying the games.  The first one on that list is Horizon Zero Dawn, I'll post updates on how I get on in this thread.

• Like 3

I've shot past my A limit this month, but in the process got my B's & C's down into the range I wanted them in. Also got a couple more platinums this month (Really happy about making Estival Versus my #69 plat), and now with a few games very close to platinum plus a weekend with nothing to do, I might even manage to get something else done :). What hasn't been done yet sadly is making progress on those unstarted games, only went up by 2 to 68 this month but thanks to PS+ and sales (again) my backlog continues to grow. Not much else that I can think of to say so let's just get to my updated stats:

S: (Updated 78, Goal 100+) (Up 3)

A: (Updated 54, Goal ≤50) (Up 5)

B: (Updated 9, Goal 10) (Down 4)

C: (Updated 10, Goal ≤10) (Down 3)

D; (Updated 15, Goal ≤5) (Up 1)

E: (Updated 21, Goal ≤5) (Up 3)

F: (Updated 2, Goal 0) (Down 2)

Completion: (Updated 64.34%, Goal 70%+) (Up 0.76%)

Unstarted Games: (Updated Current 68, Goal 25) (Up 2)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

My profile seems to be not working at the moment, but I platted Okami HD. Have no idea which grade it was beforehand. Will update my stats later this evening.

Yeah, that seems to be weird.  I planned on doing the updating later so hopefully stuff has stabilized by then.

Profile back on but it erased my trophy cabinet. Anyway, I only completed 1 game, but it was a long one and am happy to finish it. Here are my stats:

S - 51

A - 6

B - 0

C - 2

D - 2

E - 10

F - 3

Completion - 75.62%

# games played - 74

# of unearned trophies - 681

Platinums - 43

• Like 2

Finished the updating of the spreadsheet  Please let me know if I messed anything up.  And did some DLC release last month or something?  I saw a few people with drops in S ranks and I'm hoping I didn't typo updates.  Most were 1-2, but someone lost 9 S ranks, but had As go up by the same amount. 

As far as my own progress, about the only thing I had later in the month was moving Demon Gaze from a D to a B rank.  Progress in that game has been a bit slow since the dungeons are getting huge.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Well, FFXV definitely did get one.

That probably would explain a few then.  I don't have many games with DLC that has trophies so it's not something I've personally dealt with like at all other than on Steam.

7 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

As far as my own progress, about the only thing I had later in the month was moving Demon Gaze from a D to a B rank.  Progress in that game has been a bit slow since the dungeons are getting huge.

Good luck on Demon Gaze. I remember too well about some of the mazes. As I recall I had to use a guide for the later dungeons. Still, I hope you enjoy the game.

12 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

That probably would explain a few then.  I don't have many games with DLC that has trophies so it's not something I've personally dealt with like at all other than on Steam.

Goat Simulator also got a DLC, but it didn't change its rank for me, the game's still an A. *sighs* That's one of the few games I regret adding to my account.

Anway. In March, I completed Adventures of Mana, Fate Extella: The Umbral Star, Psycho Pass: Mandatory Happiness, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep and NieR: Automata.

I'm currently working on Goat Simulator (on Sundays while chatting with some friends, the game's unbearable otherwise) and Tales of Symphonia (whenever I can make some time and feel like it). I don't have a specific goal this month. Tales of Symphonia is too time consuming and somewhat luck-based to accurately predict whether I'll be able to get it done in April or not. I beat the game once on Gamecube and again on PS3 in 2014, but only did the main story. Since I know the game, I don't mind using a guide right from the beginning. I just arrived in Tethe'alla and visited Meltokio and Sybak. Before I made any more progress, I farmed some Gald and bought the best equipment Sybak has to offer for everyone.

I haven't made up my mind on completing the game in 4 playthroughs, 5 or more. 4's the minimum (have to reload my savegame in Flanoir for a title, I'd get the trophy, but would lose the title afterwards due to choosing someone else in Flanoir), 5 are needed to have everything at the same time. I guess that depends on what goes wrong in the first three playthroughs. I'll decide that after I know what's left. I don't think I want more than five, playing through the game five times in a row is enough.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Good luck on Demon Gaze. I remember too well about some of the mazes. As I recall I had to use a guide for the later dungeons. Still, I hope you enjoy the game.

Yeah, Pluto is kicking my butt now, but Uranus' dungeon is much worse, so I'm going to grind a bit and try to tackle Pluto.  Hit A rank in it earlier though, I'd like to get the plat, but I know a lot of people have trouble a bit later in the game than I am now.

1 hour ago, viech54 said:

Goat Simulator also got a DLC, but it didn't change its rank for me, the game's still an A. *sighs* That's one of the few games I regret adding to my account.

That one I'm familiar with its adding of DLC like crazy.  I get to hear the complaints about it from my Steam friends quite often, though I actually have a worse sort of hell on Steam, a free to play game called Pixel Puzzles Ultimate.  When I started playing that game, it had like 300 achievements.  It now has over $200 worth of DLC and 741 achievements.  It's a fun game and I love digital puzzles, but it's pretty excessive, though actually not the worst on Steam.  I hear there's a game with over $1000 worth of DLC on there, I think it's Euro Truck Simulator if I remember right?

19 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

And did some DLC release last month or something?

Didn't No Man's Sky get new DLC last month? That was super disappointing because I finally grinded through the rest of the platinum. I should have an even better update in the next day or 2. I will have 60 platinums, which is half way through my yearly goal already of 30.  

A bit late for my 3,000th trophy, couldn't get it in March. At first, I didn't care but then I changed my mind. I wanted it to be something from Alien: Isolation, specifically...

41Lc518f7.png

100 Times Too Many
Get killed by the Alien 100 times

Overall my progress looks good with two more S ranks coming this week. No new games added, even removed one with 0% - The Unfinished Swan which I can't run without my PS+ subscription. I'll renew it at some point later when I really need it or there are some good 'free' games on offer.

• Like 3

So, as promised, my first S rank for this week, 73rd overall, and :platinum: #42

1L199d7b.png

Alien: Isolation

It's a very good game, especially if you love the original Alien movie, its design, sound effects and atmosphere. It's also a good survival horror by itself. The Platinum is not very difficult, average difficulty I'd say. Playthrough on Hard is pretty stressful because of persistent and unpredictable Alien AI, especially if you aren't familiar with the map and your objectives. It gets easier to navigate around the monster and under its nose(?) with practice but there are still some places that may require a few more attempts. Humans and androids can be real trouble too, but sometimes you can 'summon' Mr. A to deal with the former, and dispatch the latter yourself with weapons and devices. And sometimes it's just easier to distract/sneak past or outrun your enemies; mind the monster though - this bastard will grab yo ass :devil:

Only 450 unearneds to go...

• Like 2

Found this topic waaaaaayyy too late but hey im joining 

Here are my current stats:

S: 24

A: 29

B: 17

C: 16

D :5

E: 11

F: 2

Completion: 47.03%

# of games played: 104

# of completed games: 24

# of unearned trophies: 2485

Trophies per day: 0.84

World rank: 140795

Country rank: 2019

Trophy rarity: 47.6%

And here are my goals:

S: 30

A: 40

B: 20

C: 14

D: 0

E: 0

F: 0

• Like 3

@ghostly-legend - never too late to join in my eyes!  I joined last year's in November, so yeah.  Anyway you've been added and good luck!

4 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Decided to go with HDN mk2. It might have to earn half the game's trophies to level up to the next rank. This game has a very high game completion percentage. 43% to be exact!

That is pretty high!  Though a high average completion or a high rate for the platinum also tends to indicate the trophy set is reasonable and mostly story related.

As far as me, I'm nearly done with Demon Gaze now.  Just have farming for the Big Muramasa and beating Quasar left.  I'm also close to getting my average completion back up to where it was before KYC2.  After I finish Demon Gaze I'm probably going to hit up FFX on Vita and on PS3 either Time and Eternity some more or KH1 Final Mix.

• Like 4

New (Fake) Milestone:

I hit 50 % of a couple of my challenges today:

30 Platinums for the year (Got my 15th yesterday)

D ranks - start 11 goal 0 - current 9

E ranks - start 19 goal 9 - current 14

I'm ahead of my goals so far, so this challenge is going well for me. This month I think I'll try to focus on some D rank games.

• Like 1

I've upgraded HDN mk2 to D rank. But I think I kind of locked myself from some of the endings. It's my first playthrough, and my Lowee shares are at 75%. I actually didn't mean to get it so high. I had to do a few mandatory quests to progress the story. 

I have saves right before I did the quests, so I'll either go back or just do a NG+. I heard it's not that bad, but you know it sort of sucks to have to go back to the beginning even if it's less effort this time around.

Edited by Edunstar84
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

I've upgraded HDN mk2 to D rank. But I think I kind of locked myself from some of the endings. It's my first playthrough, and my Lowee shares are at 75%. I actually didn't mean to get it so high. I had to do a few mandatory quests to progress the story. 

I have saves right before I did the quests, so I'll either go back or just do a NG+. I heard it's not that bad, but you know it sort of sucks to have to go back to the beginning even if it's less effort this time around.

So it's not like the Re;Birth games then where you can do optional quest to lower the shares?  I remember having to do a lot of that to unlock the goddess candidates along with getting the true ending in Re;Birth 1.  Still took me three playthroughs though even if I didn't finish the third. 

Just now, ladynadiad said:

So it's not like the Re;Birth games then where you can do optional quest to lower the shares?  I remember having to do a lot of that to unlock the goddess candidates along with getting the true ending in Re;Birth 1.  Still took me three playthroughs though even if I didn't finish the third. 

I don't think so. In the forums I've read, they all go on about being careful NOT to do too many quests. We'll see what happens. I'm almost on Ch.4. I'll know in several hours playtime.