Brutally Hard

4 hours ago, Floriiss said:

Lmfao that was way too fast. 1f602.png

Yeah actually I never have seen it on sale. The regular price is way too much imo. 

Yh I have played a few of these games before, ill definitely have trouble with Missile Command though as its my first time. Hence the the 5hrs to get the trophy, I used a strat that WR holders used on the original arcade Asteroids but because two ships ( the one that splits ) its way harder. Plus none of these are Impossible, the WR for Missile Command is way higher than stage 19 by miles. Also someone has the platinum somewhere.

Edited by lilpain97
Update

Well, Missile Command is just stupid. I get to level 10 but everything moves so fast that it doesn't mater what I do. The bombers/satellites are what get you killed, you take out as much as possible then kill a bomber/satellite but another respawns then it goes to shit as you don't have time to take it out so there goes your missiles and last life.This IS possible but on the Ps4 controller its a lot harder than the original track ball.

On May 24, 2017 at 5:53 AM, lilpain97 said:

Well, Missile Command is just stupid. I get to level 10 but everything moves so fast that it doesn't mater what I do. The bombers/satellites are what get you killed, you take out as much as possible then kill a bomber/satellite but another respawns then it goes to shit as you don't have time to take it out so there goes your missiles and last life.This IS possible but on the Ps4 controller its a lot harder than the original track ball.

Looks like you have the trophy though. Impressive work.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Looks like you have the trophy though. Impressive work.

Yh I got it but something weirds going on. A plat owner who got it back in January and has been on this site for a while BUT why did it not display him? He also has 15,000 hidden trophies so wtf that looks suspicious. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my goodness! Months after posting this, a ton of replies appeared!

On 5/26/2017 at 0:58 PM, lilpain97 said:

Does anyone know how to play Stellar track? Its the last trophy I need but I don't understand it at all even after reading the manual the map makes little sense.

I put in a video. I still haven't bothered to play it, but it seems pretty easy, given the strategy in the video.

Congrats on your other trophies, though!

EDIT: I just noticed that you got the plat altogether. Good job!

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On June 10, 2017 at 4:55 PM, starcrunch061 said:

Well, my goodness! Months after posting this, a ton of replies appeared!

I put in a video. I still haven't bothered to play it, but it seems pretty easy, given the strategy in the video.

Congrats on your other trophies, though!

EDIT: I just noticed that you got the plat altogether. Good job!

Extremely late reply lol yh I managed to figure it out its pretty easy and thanks :)

• 8 months later...

This may have a trophy list more difficult than Super Meat Boy in my opinion. 

I’m well versed in platformers and I’ve played them since the SNES/Genesis days so Super Meat Boy was a given. 

Atari on the other hand I don’t know if I can do. 

These games seem to be on par with the old arcades in difficulty, only the arcades played a lot better simply because they had more powerful hardware. 

The Angry Video Game Nerd did a couple episodes on Atari games, proving a lot of them simply haven’t aged well. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 3/17/2018 at 11:58 PM, Spaz said:

This may have a trophy list more difficult than Super Meat Boy in my opinion. 

I’m well versed in platformers and I’ve played them since the SNES/Genesis days so Super Meat Boy was a given. 

Atari on the other hand I don’t know if I can do. 

These games seem to be on par with the old arcades in difficulty, only the arcades played a lot better simply because they had more powerful hardware. 

The Angry Video Game Nerd did a couple episodes on Atari games, proving a lot of them simply haven’t aged well. 

Just came across this while browsing so I thought i'd give my two cents.

Difficulty is a pretty subjective thing to rate in this case, as this collection and Super Meat Boy are two very different things.

I have a lot of experience with platformers, i've beaten games like Donkey Kong Country, Battletoads, I Wanna Be The Guy etc.. and I also grew up playing the Atari 2600, the majority of the games I grew up playing ended up on this collection and I personally found Meat Boy harder to master from a gameplay perspective but I found the platinum trophy for this Atari Collection to be slightly more challenging than Meat Boy's. 

Like you said a lot of the games on these collections haven't aged well at all, because they came from a time where the home console market was finding it's feet and the graphics we're still primitive at that point. If you haven't been playing the Atari 2600 since you were a child then you're going to have an extremely hard time with this platinum, even if you read the instruction manuals 5 times and learn it like the back of your hand. I've been playing Atari for 15 years and there are some trophies like reaching level 19 on Missile Command, getting the highest rank on Stellar Track and getting a certain score in Asteroids without dying made me curse the day I ever bought this collection.

My advice, if you're new to Atari, don't even try these trophies.. it's not worth the stress xD 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SlimSanta94 said:

Just came across this while browsing so I thought i'd give my two cents.

Difficulty is a pretty subjective thing to rate in this case, as this collection and Super Meat Boy are two very different things.

I have a lot of experience with platformers, i've beaten games like Donkey Kong Country, Battletoads, I Wanna Be The Guy etc.. and I also grew up playing the Atari 2600, the majority of the games I grew up playing ended up on this collection and I personally found Meat Boy harder to master from a gameplay perspective but I found the platinum trophy for this Atari Collection to be slightly more challenging than Meat Boy's. 

Like you said a lot of the games on these collections haven't aged well at all, because they came from a time where the home console market was finding it's feet and the graphics we're still primitive at that point. If you haven't been playing the Atari 2600 since you were a child then you're going to have an extremely hard time with this platinum, even if you read the instruction manuals 5 times and learn it like the back of your hand. I've been playing Atari for 15 years and there are some trophies like reaching level 19 on Missile Command, getting the highest rank on Stellar Track and getting a certain score in Asteroids without dying made me curse the day I ever bought this collection.

My advice, if you're new to Atari, don't even try these trophies.. it's not worth the stress xD 

I guess you have the wrong birth date. Kids had already moved on to the NES by the mid 1980s. The Atari 2600 was back in the late 1970s, early 1980s around the time of ET and the infamous video game crash that happened afterwards.

I don't expect anyone to have grown up on the Atari 2600 unless they are at least 40 - 45 years old.

Don't judge me by my profile or picture, I've played a lot of arcade games. They are just as brutally hard today as they were back then. I've played a few later Atari games and watched some documentaries on the company, so I'm no stranger.

Atari unfortunately has mostly games that are horrible to play and have badly aged graphics/controls. The NES era was the first generation where you can pick up a game from it's library and still have as much fun today as you did back in the 1980s and 1990s.

I have the first collection of the Atari Flashback. Only one trophy, which is beating the game Tempest at level 81, is the only one I think is truly difficult. I played on an alt and got a number of trophies without too much trouble.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

I guess you have the wrong birth date. Kids had already moved on to the NES by the mid 1980s. The Atari 2600 was back in the late 1970s, early 1980s around the time of ET and the infamous video game crash that happened afterwards.

I don't expect anyone to have grown up on the Atari 2600 unless they are at least 40 - 45 years old.

No, kids (especially young kids) only get to move on to a console when their parents buy it for them.  The Atari 2600 also had a very long life.  They were still making new games for it through the 1980's, as well as selling games new in store.  The console itself was still being manufactured and sold until 1992.  It's probably true that the video game crash mortally wounded Atari, but it took a long time to actually die.

I'm not 40 yet and the Atari 2600 was the first console I played as a young child in the late 80's.  My parents got it at a yard sale along with a bunch of games for it.  Lots of classics and also that infamous E.T. game where you just fall in the holes and can't get back out after a while.  Sure, that was past the console's prime, but I had no idea of that at the time!  I hadn't heard of the NES yet, although it was about to really take off in the US.  I mean, it seemed like a long time between getting the Atari and the NES at the time, but it was probably like a year or so.  :P

Also, I think people may find it a bit baffling, but the NES didn't really take off immediately at least outside of Japan.  So, you can't just look at the release date and stamp that down as the start.  It took some time to get going and wasn't like the console launches that happened since.  I think it was even slower in Europe than the US.  I think in many ways the NES was making a market for itself and paving the way for the modern console and video game industry.  It's a given, now, that there's a ready-market for each new console release (and the only interesting question is who is going to sell the most and win the console war for that generation), but it wasn't always like that.

But, mainly I guess I just don't want people to assume I have to be pushing 50 years old or something to have played the Atari 2600 as a child, like I rushed out to buy it in 1977 or whatever because that's it's release date on wikipedia.  I'm old enough as it is, without people trying to add more years.  ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

Mate, i'm 24.. almost 25.. I grew up playing Atari because my parents wanted me to experience what they grew up with. I know plenty of people my age that also grew up playing Atari for likely the same reason. Just because it's an old console doesn't mean it's an obscure one for anyone under 40 to have grown up with xD 

Edited by SlimSanta94
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, dmland12 said:

No, kids (especially young kids) only get to move on to a console when their parents buy it for them.  The Atari 2600 also had a very long life.  They were still making new games for it through the 1980's, as well as selling games new in store.  The console itself was still being manufactured and sold until 1992.  It's probably true that the video game crash mortally wounded Atari, but it took a long time to actually die.

I'm not 40 yet and the Atari 2600 was the first console I played as a young child in the late 80's.  My parents got it at a yard sale along with a bunch of games for it.  Lots of classics and also that infamous E.T. game where you just fall in the holes and can't get back out after a while.  Sure, that was past the console's prime, but I had no idea of that at the time!  I hadn't heard of the NES yet, although it was about to really take off in the US.  I mean, it seemed like a long time between getting the Atari and the NES at the time, but it was probably like a year or so.  :P

Also, I think people may find it a bit baffling, but the NES didn't really take off immediately at least outside of Japan.  So, you can't just look at the release date and stamp that down as the start.  It took some time to get going and wasn't like the console launches that happened since.  I think it was even slower in Europe than the US.  I think in many ways the NES was making a market for itself and paving the way for the modern console and video game industry.  It's a given, now, that there's a ready-market for each new console release (and the only interesting question is who is going to sell the most and win the console war for that generation), but it wasn't always like that.

But, mainly I guess I just don't want people to assume I have to be pushing 50 years old or something to have played the Atari 2600 as a child, like I rushed out to buy it in 1977 or whatever because that's it's release date on wikipedia.  I'm old enough as it is, without people trying to add more years.  ;)

I knew they had games for it still coming out when the NES was around, but virtually nobody I knew was playing an Atari 2600. I grew up in an area with older people (late 50s and 60s, and today they would be around their 80s - 90s in age) and thus video games weren't exactly popular. But I was grateful for having five games for my NES, SNES and Sega Genesis consoles.

I would argue it wasn't until games like Contra and Super Mario Bros 3 that the NES truly started becoming popular. In fact SMB 3 was the first video game I ever played, which goes to show where I got my love for gaming from. The NES was still doing awesome in the mid 1990s, I grew up playing Kirby's Adventure and I still consider that to be the best Kirby game Nintendo has ever made.

Well no. I know plenty of guys around my age and older who still love those old arcade games. To me the Atari 2600 is a console I respect for the longevity it had, but not for a number of their games as they haven't aged well.

You don't have to be 40 and over to enjoy the original Star Wars trilogy, or above 30 to enjoy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I guess I should of known better than to just flat out assume.

4 hours ago, SlimSanta94 said:

Mate, i'm 24.. almost 25.. I grew up playing Atari because my parents wanted me to experience what they grew up with. I know plenty of people my age that also grew up playing Atari for likely the same reason. Just because it's an old console doesn't mean it's an obscure one for anyone under 40 to have grown up with xD 

I was exposed to old rock music, mostly 1970s and 1980s music in general.

The kids I was around were playing the NES, SNES and Genesis consoles. I don't know anyone my age who played an Atari 2600 growing up. Sure, they played the arcades, both the newer games like Mortal Kombat and House of the Dead and the old classics like Defender, Space Invaders and of course Pac Man. But never an Atari 2600.

Those I know who played an Atari 2600 are much older than I am, so that is why I threw that out there. I'm sorry for making that assumption.

On 13/12/2018 at 5:29 PM, SlimSanta94 said:

Pretty much this. Im 20 and I own the Atari 2600. I grew up playing retro games all the time because my older brothers owned those consoles so it stuck with me as I grew up.

• 1 year later...
On 3/4/2020 at 6:53 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Just one more stinking trophy, but GOD this Missile Command trophy sucks.

Damn man that's impressive.

Is there ANYTHING on this trophy list that requires fast reflexes? I felt level 81 on Tempest in the first volume you had to be pretty fast, but I didn't try that for too long because I got frustrated pretty quickly and gave up.

On 3/8/2020 at 6:50 AM, Spaz said:

Damn man that's impressive.

Is there ANYTHING on this trophy list that requires fast reflexes? I felt level 81 on Tempest in the first volume you had to be pretty fast, but I didn't try that for too long because I got frustrated pretty quickly and gave up.

it depends on what you mean. Missile Command requires reflexes, and Asteroids Deluxe does, but it’s nothing like the twitchy SMB reflexes. What makes them annoying is that the movements are basically random, so you’re thinking on your feet.

Breakout is another annoying one. I think the game Slim is referring to is a nastier version of it.

48 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

it depends on what you mean. Missile Command requires reflexes, and Asteroids Deluxe does, but it’s nothing like the twitchy SMB reflexes. What makes them annoying is that the movements are basically random, so you’re thinking on your feet.

Breakout is another annoying one. I think the game Slim is referring to is a nastier version of it.

I'm sure I can get through the first Volume of the Atari collection. Don't know about the second volume.

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2020 at 9:53 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Just one more stinking trophy, but GOD this Missile Command trophy sucks.

It really did suck. I mistakenly assumed that the trophy would be trivialized by cloud save scumming but it still took 4-5 hours and some heavy pause buffering to get to the finish line. The players that can make it to level 19 without either tactic must be more machine than man. 

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 1

After playing the first volume, I will NOT BE GETTING the second volume.

Fuck that shit. Too frustrating to be worth it. Mad respect to you all who got the platinum. I'll just finish the first volume and move on to other games.... preferably ones a bit easier.