Brutally Hard

So, I started with Flashback 2 instead of Flashback. The trophies are real killers. 50,000 points on Asteroids Deluxe without losing a single life? Ridiculous. Level 19 of Missile Command? According to PSN, as of this morning (9:00 AM CST January 11th, 2017), no one in the world had gotten this trophy. I was proud of getting to level 5. :rolleyes:

Some of them are pretty fun (beating the full castle of Adventure without slaying a single dragon should be a blast), a couple of them are pretty easy (although I had fits figuring out why the system wouldn't accept my rousing rendition of Happy Birthday), but for the most part, this is one of those games with ridiculous challenge. 

Is anyone else playing?

Edited by starcrunch061

So, this thread will serve as my bitching mechanism for these trophies.

• Yesterday, I solved the Atari Cube (quite easy, once you know what's going on in the game), and found 10 flags in 75 seconds (which was pretty fun actually).
  • Gravitar is the biggest pile of feces ever. The game is hard as hell, and cheats to boot. Simply getting rid of ONE planet is a chore, and you'll probably need to get rid of 2-3 to get the local high score (or blow up the reactor, but good luck with that!).
  • So, according to PSN, at least one person has gotten to 50,000 points in Asteroids Deluxe with one life. However, no one in the world has actually recorded a score of 50,000+ in a single game online. So, either someone got the trophy offline, and then synched online, or some Vita jerk just hacked. Either way, SCREW THAT GUY - this trophy is impossible.
  • Level 19 on Missile Command is just outrageous. 
  • I almost got "Pacifist" yesterday (clear the first level of Asteroids with a score of 0). Stupid little spaceships. 
  • Whatever genius thought that Star Ship was a good game for a trophy should be buried up to his neck in an anthill. Terrible, TERRIBLE game. Oh, and my high score? 59!!!!! ARRRGGGHHHH!
  • Stellar Track might be a fun game if I ever learn to play it. But probably not. 
  • Video Chess is easy enough, but the title "patience" is meaningful. The computer takes almost 2 minutes to make a move. I haven't had the time to sit down and do it. Thankfully, it doesn't cheat (on the highest level, the computer can take up to 10 hours to make a move, AND might make two moves at once!).

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, as a retro fan these are the hardest games to even get half the trophies on IMO. Surprised at the lack of guides for Atari Video Cube (which sucks as i can't solve a rubix cube for the life of me) and a lot of the other trophies seem to require the same dumb luck as the warlords trophy from Vol 1.

As for my Missile command feat, I got to level 8 after a lot of practice. By then it felt near impossible so I dread to see how level 19 actually plays.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheDreaminHawk said:

Yeah, as a retro fan these are the hardest games to even get half the trophies on IMO. Surprised at the lack of guides for Atari Video Cube (which sucks as i can't solve a rubix cube for the life of me) and a lot of the other trophies seem to require the same dumb luck as the warlords trophy from Vol 1.

As for my Missile command feat, I got to level 8 after a lot of practice. By then it felt near impossible so I dread to see how level 19 actually plays.

The Atari video cube is a joke. It's not a Rubik's cube at all. It's hard to explain, though; I recommend looking it up online. But the main thing in that is time, no difficulty. It took me around 10 minutes to do.

Missile Command, though, is in another universe. Through dedication, I can make it consistently to level 10, but the quick thinking required after that gets me every time. The smart bombs, in particular, are really annoying.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2017 at 8:47 AM, starcrunch061 said:

• Yesterday, I solved the Atari Cube (quite easy, once you know what's going on in the game), and found 10 flags in 75 seconds (which was pretty fun actually).
  • Gravitar is the biggest pile of feces ever. The game is hard as hell, and cheats to boot. Simply getting rid of ONE planet is a chore, and you'll probably need to get rid of 2-3 to get the local high score (or blow up the reactor, but good luck with that!).
  • So, according to PSN, at least one person has gotten to 50,000 points in Asteroids Deluxe with one life. However, no one in the world has actually recorded a score of 50,000+ in a single game online. So, either someone got the trophy offline, and then synched online, or some Vita jerk just hacked. Either way, SCREW THAT GUY - this trophy is impossible.
  • I almost got "Pacifist" yesterday (clear the first level of Asteroids with a score of 0). Stupid little spaceships. 
  • Whatever genius thought that Star Ship was a good game for a trophy should be buried up to his neck in an anthill. Terrible, TERRIBLE game. Oh, and my high score? 59!!!!! ARRRGGGHHHH!
  • Stellar Track might be a fun game if I ever learn to play it. But probably not. 
  • Video Chess is easy enough, but the title "patience" is meaningful. The computer takes almost 2 minutes to make a move. I haven't had the time to sit down and do it. Thankfully, it doesn't cheat (on the highest level, the computer can take up to 10 hours to make a move, AND might make two moves at once!).

Currently working on this one, and just watching the 'push start' screen, it takes almost an hour for the little ship to take out the final rock. This pair of titles is just simply ridiculous for trophy hunters.  A solid 25/10 difficulty level on both.

As you pointed out, Atari Cube is quite easy once you figure it out (or read the manual from the main menu).  It isn't a Rubix's Cube.  It's more of moving and swapping color tiles.  Even after reading the manual, I have no clue how Stellar Track works.  I don't even recall this game from the Atari 2600 hay-days.  How it made it onto this collection, I'll never guess.

Edited by BBurgSteve

On 2/27/2017 at 8:24 PM, BBurgSteve said:

Even after reading the manual, I have no clue how Stellar Track works.  I don't even recall this game from the Atari 2600 hay-days.  How it made it onto this collection, I'll never guess.

This should help a lot.

I haven't done it myself (I know I said I would in another post, but I got interested in other stuff), but I think with this, I will get the trophy in no more than 5 tries. The real problem is understanding the ridiculous controls.

• 2 months later...
On January 13, 2017 at 1:47 PM, starcrunch061 said:

Impossible ? Ok ill take the challenge seen as the 1st wasn't even hard and I got it in 1day 6hrs. What makes 50k points without losing a life insane?

• Like 1

I haven't played much of the original Missile Command, certainly not the arcade version, but I have played this version quite a bit:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/528789

Was pretty good at it, and it's Atari licensed!! But Zynga killed the company that made those games.

The only video I could find of the correct version to round 19 or higher was this TAS:

I still have my Atari 2600 and my copy of some of these games sitting in storage down in my basement.  Not that I'm tempted to play any of them again, either on the original console or through this re-master for the PS4, but I remember playing games like Missile Command for hours on end.... because that was pretty much all we had to play with back in those days and downloading games for my Apple IIe through the local pirate bulletin board took ten minutes less than forever on a 300 baud modem.  (I also remember how excited my siblings and I were when we upgraded to a 1200 baud modem back in the day.)

Ah.... memories.

On 2017-1-13 at 2:47 PM, starcrunch061 said:

Seems right up my alley. Challenge accepted. I'll definitely pick this one up once it's on sale. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this game :) 

44 minutes ago, Floriiss said:

Seems right up my alley. Challenge accepted. I'll definitely pick this one up once it's on sale. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this game :) 

Just got it ill tell you if I plat it. The only challenge looks like Missile Command level 19, I could be wrong about Asteroids.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lilpain97 said:

Just got it ill tell you if I plat it. The only challenge looks like Missile Command level 19, I could be wrong about Asteroids.

I'm pretty sure that Asteroids will be difficult too, hence it's still at 0.00%. Let me know how it turns out and good luck on your quest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Floriiss said:

I'm pretty sure that Asteroids will be difficult too, hence it's still at 0.00%. Let me know how it turns out and good luck on your quest.

Ok I got to 30k without dying. Turns out it may be near impossible, the small ships ruin the run because they pretty much don't miss a shot :/

Edit: Ok well this isn't impossible, found a strat for it.

Edited by lilpain97
Update

3 hours ago, Floriiss said:

Yeah, the asteroids video I linked to earlier is someone doing 60k instead of just 50k :P 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lilpain97 said:

Just did Asteroids 50k without losing a life. Anyway I can put the screen shot up?

If it was PS4, you could have just pressed the share button and saved a video of it too. :P Transfer to your PC using a USB stick! :) 

And congratulations! :) 

Next up is Missile Command I guess? Once you get the hang of that game, it's not too hard IMO.

Edited by MMDE

5 minutes ago, MMDE said:

If it was PS4, you could have just pressed the share button and saved a video of it too. :P Transfer to your PC using a USB stick! :) 

And congratulations! :) 

I don't have a pc :/ I use ps4 browser for this website. It was ps4 I have screen shot ill see if my recordings saved if not ill make a thread explaining the strat. And thanks :)

4 hours ago, lilpain97 said:

I don't have a pc :/ I use ps4 browser for this website. It was ps4 I have screen shot ill see if my recordings saved if not ill make a thread explaining the strat. And thanks :)

Did not take long ? I knew you can do it!

congratulations ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Floriiss said:

the truth: the vol 1 and 2 editions of this game has only gone on sale one time in the lifetime of sales, its very rare to see them show up. last time they went for 10$ apiece.

this is for psn alone (so the results will vary if use other sources) amazon, ebay etc.

5 hours ago, lilpain97 said:

Just did Asteroids 50k without losing a life. Anyway I can put the screen shot up?

Lmfao that was way too fast. ?

25 minutes ago, kingdrake2 said:

the truth: the vol 1 and 2 editions of this game has only gone on sale one time in the lifetime of sales, its very rare to see them show up. last time they went for 10$ apiece.

this is for psn alone (so the results will vary if use other sources) amazon, ebay etc.

Yeah actually I never have seen it on sale. The regular price is way too much imo.