Can't Get Online Trophies

Phant0mTheElite

Have you set up the link between your PSN account and Steam? Your PS3 copy of Portal 2 comes with an insert with a Steam product activation code. Make sure that code is entered on Steam before playing Portal 2 on PS3. Before I entered the activation code, Portal 2 on PS3 would go into an infinite saving loop for me during single-player mode, and I also could not successfully play online.

On 1/19/2017 at 10:38 PM, bigrake1 said:

Have you set up the link between your PSN account and Steam? Your PS3 copy of Portal 2 comes with an insert with a Steam product activation code. Make sure that code is entered on Steam before playing Portal 2 on PS3. Before I entered the activation code, Portal 2 on PS3 would go into an infinite saving loop for me during single-player mode, and I also could not successfully play online.

But what about a used copy? :(

Honestly, I would be wary of purchasing a used copy of this game. Without the code, the game doesn't function properly...at least this has been my experience. Others I know have not been able to play co-op without the code. One of my friends was able to play the single-player campaign without the code (offline), but he was unable to join me on co-op until he entered the code on Steam. As for myself on the campaign, I got about 1/3 of the way through the campaign, and then I got nailed by this infinite profile saving loop bug: This disappeared for me after I put the code in Steam. Some report that they can play fine offline. I haven't tried to play offline, so others in the community might be able to shed light on this matter...

21 minutes ago, bigrake1 said:

Honestly, I would be wary of purchasing a used copy of this game. Without the code, the game doesn't function properly...at least this has been my experience. Others I know have not been able to play co-op without the code. One of my friends was able to play the single-player campaign without the code (offline), but he was unable to join me on co-op until he entered the code on Steam. As for myself on the campaign, I got about 1/3 of the way through the campaign, and then I got nailed by this infinite profile saving loop bug: This disappeared for me after I put the code in Steam. Some report that they can play fine offline. I haven't tried to play offline, so others in the community might be able to shed light on this matter...

It should work fine if I were to buy the game from steam right? The code is really a steam key though.

I got the game for PS3 used, and bought Portal 2 on Steam when it was on sale for 2€ (currently is back to 20€, but there will be future sales for sure).

Then, liking my PSN with my Steam made it work properly. I still have to do the trophies, so I'll probably play with some of my friends with the PC game using cross-play.

57 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

It should work fine if I were to buy the game from steam right? The code is really a steam key though.

Yes, it should work as long as your PSN account is tied to a Steam ID which has permission to play Portal 2. This could be by using the code that comes with a new PS3 copy, buying the game on Steam or even using Steam Family Sharing to have access to it.

Also a warning to be careful messing around with the account linking. If you try to create and link to a new Steam ID in the PS3 Portal 2 interface, you might get in trouble as you can't unlink it and I don't know if the website to finalise the account activation is still working. It's possible that the online trophies may become unobtainable on your PSN account.

5 minutes ago, mekktor said:

Yes, it should work as long as your PSN account is tied to a Steam ID which has permission to play Portal 2. This could be by using the code that comes with a new PS3 copy, buying the game on Steam or even using Steam Family Sharing to have access to it.

Also a warning to be careful messing around with the account linking. If you try to create and link to a new Steam ID in the PS3 Portal 2 interface, you might get in trouble as you can't unlink it and I don't know if the website to finalise the account activation is still working. It's possible that the online trophies may become unobtainable on your PSN account.

my Steam and PSN was linked ages ago but I bought the game used so I'd have to buy the game from Steam, then again I can't be bothered with the hassle with the online trophies. Just wish I'd done the trophies back then.

1 hour ago, charlijaen said:

I got the game for PS3 used, and bought Portal 2 on Steam when it was on sale for 2€ (currently is back to 20€, but there will be future sales for sure).

Then, liking my PSN with my Steam made it work properly. I still have to do the trophies, so I'll probably play with some of my friends with the PC game using cross-play.

So buying it on PC should let me go online then... Used copy was so cheap compared to a sealed one :(

52 minutes ago, TheGwynbleidd said:

I bought a used Portal 2 copy about a month ago planning to do the online trophies as soon as I could. Knowing this now, I think we should wait for the steam summer sales to but Portal 2 around 2$-3$. 

Yeah, I would do that in your case.

A few months ago, I waited for Steam Christmas sale and bought it for 2€

The next big Steam sale will be the summer sale.

1 hour ago, TheGwynbleidd said:

I bought a used Portal 2 copy about a month ago planning to do the online trophies as soon as I could. Knowing this now, I think we should wait for the steam summer sales to but Portal 2 around 2$-3$. 

Yeah same. But the PS3 servers for the game are always so buggy.