Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

3 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Apparently it's an unpopular opinion, but I absolutely can't stand Ecco for more than five minutes. 

Look at me, I'm a dolphin with sonar, cool, can you go fast though?

Don't worry about it, my unpopular opinion is that Sonic games suck, and I can't stand them for more than three minutes!

14 hours ago, Spawn said:

@MosesRockefeller know what we forgot when discussing the Velocity 2X price increase from PS4 to Switch?

The DLC.

The Switch version contains both DLC apparently, and at a total price of €20 it's actually just under the PS4 total price of €21.

Seeing as I played Velocity 2X ages ago, I'm still thinking about rebuying. I've played Life Goes On much more recently so I'm less compelled to buy it right away, but I definitely want to have it come my next summer holiday.

To make things more confusing, I just checked nintendo.com, and Velocity 2X is showing at a 15.99 discounted price (with 19.99 standard). On PSN, Velocity 2X shows at 19.99. So the price hasn't increased in the USA from PS4/Vita to Switch, even before the launch discount on Switch.

@Spawn, welp, I just did some reading on the latest iteration of Sega Ages. Doesn't look to be the 3D PS2 version, but Out Run is apparently confirmed as one of the first ten games on it. So I guess I'll be buying the MD set, and a few others individually in all likelihood. 

So they can re-release Out Run then I guess, as they have on 3DS also (which is a fantastic way to play the original, by the way), but they don't put them in compilations? Wonder why.

Also, one of these days I need to mod that PS3 in the kitchen to be able to download games, since it's become quite apparent I'll never get to play Out Run Online Arcade any other way. God, I love Out Run.

Edit: Jesus fucking Christ, they want 10.95 for Sonic and Thunder Force on Switch, each? Shit. I don't care how much I like OutRun, unless they add something or it's the 3D PS2 version I'll wait for a sale.

12 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Don't worry about it, my unpopular opinion is that Sonic games suck, and I can't stand them for more than three minutes!

Look tbh I enjoy Sonic greatly, bought Mania and Forces day one even after the last 15 or so years of crap, but I will happily admit almost all of the spin offs are crap, the first one is nowhere near as good as it's sequels, and damn near anything after the Dreamcast that isn't Shadow's game, or a portable game (the GBA/DS Sonic games are quite good IMO), can piss right off. 

I'll give you the majority of the series as being crap, but Sonic 2 is legit and I will never bag that one out. By far my favorite, he a good boi.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

23 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Apparently it's an unpopular opinion, but I absolutely can't stand Ecco for more than five minutes. 

Look at me, I'm a dolphin with sonar, cool, can you go fast though?

19 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

7 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Look tbh I enjoy Sonic greatly, bought Mania and Forces day one even after the last 15 or so years of crap, but I will happily admit almost all of the spin offs are crap, the first one is nowhere near as good as it's sequels, and damn near anything after the Dreamcast that isn't Shadow's game, or a portable game (the GBA/DS Sonic games are quite good IMO), can piss right off. 

I'll give you the majority of the series as being crap, but Sonic 2 is legit and I will never bag that one out. By far my favorite, he a good boi.

I don't think disliking Ecco is unpopular as it's a tough game with weird controls and a weirder premise. But I just really enjoyed what I played of it (never had a Mega Drive myself) and I would enjoy playing through it.

As for Sonic, I think Mania is probably the best one. For €5 or so, I'd enjoy &Knuckles too though.

16 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

To make things more confusing, I just checked nintendo.com, and Velocity 2X is showing at a 15.99 discounted price (with 19.99 standard). On PSN, Velocity 2X shows at 19.99. So the price hasn't increased in the USA from PS4/Vita to Switch, even before the launch discount on Switch.

Yeah it's a 20% launch discount is what they're saying on Twitter. Weirdly, I can't even find the game on Nintendo.nl any more. But I'll tell you this: if I get home and it has that launch discount on my store too, I'll definitely buy it right away. I really enjoyed the game four years ago and I want to show support so a third game will happen.

And yeah the PS4 US price was always 20, so on the Switch for you it's like getting the DLC for free at full price. For EU, Velocity 2X on PS4 was one of those rare games that took into account the value discrepancy between $ and €, so on the Switch there's less of a change in price between it and game+DLC on PS4.

22 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

bruh, what sonic games have you been playing? Some do suck ass. Major ass. The classic ones are good. 

Well, after Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros. and with about a dozen titles announced, today Hamster releases Exxitebike on the Switch. It's like they're saying "Are you absolutely sure, Nintendo, you don't want to just release games like these individually? Well, I guess we'll fill the void and see how much money we're going to make off of NES titles".

@MosesRockefeller on Velocity 2X: luckily it's still on the eShop here, and it also has the 20% discount, so I bought it. If it helps in getting a third game, zero regrets.

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy  on Sonic: well it's €7 here apparently, which I think is fair, but seeing as I have a big backlog, many games to come in the next few weeks, since I don't absolutely love Sonic games but just think they're fun for a change and since this is Sonic 1 instead of &Knuckles, I'll pass for now.

14 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

5 hours ago, The Titan said:

bruh, what sonic games have you been playing? Some do suck ass. Major ass. The classic ones are good. 

It's not the spin-offs or sequels that do it in for me. I'm well aware of the Sonic series' less-than-stellar history. But I can't stand the originals. I've tried Sonic 1 multiple times, and I played one of the Game Gear versions as a kid. I've also tried Sonic Generations, a few of the 3D game demos on 3DS/Wii U, and I think one of those episodic games on PS3. As for spin-offs, I played a bit of Sonic Adventure. I foolishly bought Sonic Mania and I couldn't make it through the second level. It's time for me to admit that the series just isn't for me. I didn't like any of the games but I kept trying them because everyone says how good the series once was.

There's an alternate universe version of me who is skinny and single, who grew up with Sega instead of a NES, and loves Sonic and thinks Mario sucks. But in this reality, I'm the opposite. As a 10-year-old playing Sonic when it was new, I might have loved it (at the time I only played it on my friend's Game Gear, and I didn't see him often and never considered buying one myself). But trying the series as an adult, the levels are confusing, I don't like the "roller coaster" style layout, and I hate the speed that keeps me from seeing where I'm supposed to go. That's probably the point, but I just can't stand it.

Also, don't call me "bruh". :P

1 hour ago, Spawn said:

@MosesRockefeller on Velocity 2X: luckily it's still on the eShop here, and it also has the 20% discount, so I bought it. If it helps in getting a third game, zero regrets.

Cool, enjoy! I'm glad the discount wasn't US-only. Even though I usually benefit from those deals, I think they need to be international or not happen at all. I'll have to dip back into the game on Vita.

Last night I bought Scribblenauts Mega Pack. The games should probably be sold individually for $20 each for people on the fence, but I didn't mind paying $40 for the two games together. I played the first level of Scribblenauts Unlimited (the first game in the pack), and it's pretty cool. It's too tricky for my daughter right now, but I could see her enjoying it as she starts learning to read. The games have an interesting puzzle format, that involves writing down words to create objects for puzzle-solving (for example, writing "soap" to help you wash off a pig in the intro level). It's not completely free-form, but it seems to let gamers' imaginations run pretty wild. Since I'm not the most creative person, we'll see if it eventually outpaces my imagination.

I'm also enjoying Xenoblade 2 quite a bit. It's a very funny game at times.

Spoiler

I hope XC1 and XCX come to Switch too.

Next week is Valkyria Chronicles 4! I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

@MosesRockefeller just a quick add: I just picked up The Messenger again and got to the point where it becomes a light MetroidVania. Well, at that point they immediately give you a map, and a satisfyingly informational one to boot.

Seeing as you liked Shovel Knight in the end, I'm going to recommend this one to you, it's brilliant.

43 minutes ago, Spawn said:

@MosesRockefeller just a quick add: I just picked up The Messenger again and got to the point where it becomes a light MetroidVania. Well, at that point they immediately give you a map, and a satisfyingly informational one to boot.

Seeing as you liked Shovel Knight in the end, I'm going to recommend this one to you, it's brilliant.

Good to know about the map. Of course, now the launch discount is gone. :)

I read that the game forces you back into the 8-bit style at some points after the 16-bit introduction. What games would you say it plays the most like, in each style?

17 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Good to know about the map. Of course, now the launch discount is gone. :)

I read that the game forces you back into the 8-bit style at some points after the 16-bit introduction. What games would you say it plays the most like, in each style?

The Messenger never had a launch discount though. At least, I don't think so.

16-bit is the 'future' while 8-bit is the 'present', that's what that is. Both don't really have a different gameplay style though, it both plays like an action platformer like Shovel Knight, but with different attacks, and double jumps from hitting lanterns kind of like Specter Knight but not completely the same. I neve played Ninja Gaiden so I don't know how that compares.

Ya know, I am starting to dig the Online Service. I even got Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog for Switch and loving it.

Though, there are some not so happy campers on NintendoLife in their comment sections and I don't understand the hate for the Switch's Online Service though I can understand some of it and hoped that the Online Service gets better in the future. But I don't pay much attention to the comment sections because there is no right or wrong answer between answers. But hey, this is the internet, there's bound to be toxic people on the site.

22 minutes ago, Spawn said:

The Messenger never had a launch discount though. At least, I don't think so.

16-bit is the 'future' while 8-bit is the 'present', that's what that is. Both don't really have a different gameplay style though, it both plays like an action platformer like Shovel Knight, but with different attacks, and double jumps from hitting lanterns kind of like Specter Knight but not completely the same. I neve played Ninja Gaiden so I don't know how that compares.

Hmm, maybe not a launch discount but it was less than $20 the last time I checked the store. Now it's $20.

From what you describe it doesn't sound much like a Metroidvania (you did say "lite"). Is it just a map for seeing where to go, or are there upgrades and backtracking to locked paths?

19 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

Ya know, I am starting to dig the Online Service. I even got Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog for Switch and loving it.

Though, there are some not so happy campers on NintendoLife in their comment sections and I don't understand the hate for the Switch's Online Service though I can understand some of it and hoped that the Online Service gets better in the future. But I don't pay much attention to the comment sections because there is no right or wrong answer between answers. But hey, this is the internet, there's bound to be toxic people on the site.

That's a very healthy attitude towards people online. I, for one, am glad that this thread is mostly pretty positive. We need more positivity in today's world and especially online. Remember when gaming used to be about the joy of talking to friends about cool secrets and comparing game progress? That often gets lost these days.

Even though I wasn't overwhelmed by the Online Service, I'll keep playing the NES games (at least in small doses - Dr Mario pun intended). And as I've already stated, the cloud saves are great. I do hope the service improves. Sure, it's a bit underwhelming to some of us right now, but it has a solid foundation. The NES emulator layer is there, now they just need to throw in the same interface for other consoles.

1 hour ago, MMX20 said:

Ya know, I am starting to dig the Online Service.

You're not "starting" to dig it, you've been praising it for a while now.

You never answered my question though, about at which console generation you started gaming. Might answer why you're so positive about the service and the NES games while many others aren't.

39 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Hmm, maybe not a launch discount but it was less than $20 the last time I checked the store. Now it's $20.

From what you describe it doesn't sound much like a Metroidvania (you did say "lite"). Is it just a map for seeing where to go, or are there upgrades and backtracking to locked paths?

It starts as a regular sidescroller but after going through the world, it opens up to go back and discover new passages.

By the by, just finished West Of Loathing. Hilariously funny and stupid.

1 minute ago, Spawn said:

You never answered my question though, about at which console generation you started gaming. Might answer why you're so positive about the service and the NES games while many others aren't.

It starts as a regular sidescroller but after going through the world, it opens up to go back and discover new passages.

Oh yeah, I did praised it. On which console generation I started with. I have to say NES and SNES. I remain optimistic about gaming over the years. (Well, there are some times when I am not optimistic on everything.) and I enjoyed everything, including things that people hate and I remain hopeful that they get better. The reason I enjoyed the Online Service and the NES library is because I enjoyed everything, even if people deemed it bad. But I have a feeling the Online Service will get better. For now, I will enjoy the Online Service as it is right now and the library of NES games it has.

5 minutes ago, Spawn said:

I watched a youtuber play that awhile back, and it is easily one of the funniest games I've ever seen, especially if you use the funny walk you get at the start of the game

14 minutes ago, Spawn said:

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

How long would you say it took you to finish WoL, roughly? I want to play it but I don't need another long game in my life right now, so I'm hoping it's on the shorter side.

4 hours ago, MMX20 said:

Oh yeah, I did praised it. On which console generation I started with. I have to say NES and SNES. I remain optimistic about gaming over the years. (Well, there are some times when I am not optimistic on everything.) and I enjoyed everything, including things that people hate and I remain hopeful that they get better. The reason I enjoyed the Online Service and the NES library is because I enjoyed everything, even if people deemed it bad. But I have a feeling the Online Service will get better. For now, I will enjoy the Online Service as it is right now and the library of NES games it has.

Strange, I had you pegged for a younger person since I've mostly seen people growing up on GameCube and later defending the online service, and I've mainly seen people who had a (S)NES in their youth be disappointed with the NES games.

Personally, I didn't even like 8-bit back in the day. Didn't start to like gaming until the SNES, didn't start to like handheld gaming until the Advance.

4 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I watched a youtuber play that awhile back, and it is easily one of the funniest games I've ever seen, especially if you use the funny walk you get at the start of the game

Weirdly enough, I got bored with the funny walking very quickly. I very much liked the joke, but I turned off the option after a few minutes because it was too distracting.

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

How long would you say it took you to finish WoL, roughly? I want to play it but I don't need another long game in my life right now, so I'm hoping it's on the shorter side.

Don't be worried. I finished in somewhere around six to eight hours but if you go straight for the goal (literally just going west) I have little doubt you could finish in under five hours. The meat of the game is in the side stuff and the descriptions. I guess it'll take me another hour or four before I can say I've 100%ed it, but I'm not completely sure.

I played a bit of Velocity 2X and it works great on the Switch. Good port, hope we'll get a sequel some day.

On 9/16/2018 at 2:33 PM, SnowxSakura said:

You're not paying for the free games, you're paying to use the online services. PSN isn't free to run and it costs a lot of money, same reason why xbox has been doing it longer, and even nintendo is doing it

I don't enjoy playing online with strangers so paying for it doesn't make much sense. I'd hop online only to get some trophies that require it. I'd be happy to play together with family and friends but Sony blocking crossplay with other platforms makes it impossible in many cases. I value my trophy completion rate so I solve this issue by not purchasing games with online trophies that require subscription. 

I can play online for free on PC and many other consoles. Servers and maintenance aren't as expensive as what Sony charges per user in their subscriptions. They don't host many game servers, and PSN which is used for authentication is free to use for anyone. They make more than enough money for servers with their profits from console and game sales alone. 

On 9/16/2018 at 3:57 PM, mcnichoj said:

People would probably very quickly figure out how to hack their data. Give themselves all the best Splatoon gear.

Everything Nintendo is doing is to prevent hacking or exploiting their system.

-Can't backup locally

-Can't gameshare with a second system

-Different form of Virtual Console

-No direct web browser

Not being able to make local backups hasn't stopped people from cheating in Splatoon. It's not any kind of an anti-cheat measure. Nintendo's choice only prevents legit consumers from making personal backups and they are trying to force their paid service on consumers who want to have a peace of mind. Too bad not all games are even compatible with cloud saves, including Splatoon 2, so it's not a very good service. 

Actually you can play your digital games on another system with Nintendo Switch Online when you just log in with your Nintendo account. 

Found out last night the Dark Souls Remastered network test on Switch requires subscription. Husbando didn't test and just said he's played the game before and no need to bother now. I can go back to Splatoon on Wii U and play it for free like before. I wonder how much the subscription service has boosted the player count of the original game.

1 minute ago, Eyjabria said:

Actually you can play your digital games on another system with Nintendo Switch Online when you just log in with your Nintendo account. 

Like I said, you can't gameshare. Yes you the person that bought the game can play it on any console and anyone on the console where your account is activate on can play it but you can only have your account active to one console at a time so if you go to play on a different console then you deactive the other console.

So just as an example if I owned two consoles, maybe I have one I bring to work/out to places and one stays docked at home I would have to buy two copies of the game if I wanted to say play Splatoon 2 with a friend that comes over and we both use a different Switch.

1 hour ago, mcnichoj said:

Like I said, you can't gameshare. Yes you the person that bought the game can play it on any console and anyone on the console where your account is activate on can play it but you can only have your account active to one console at a time so if you go to play on a different console then you deactive the other console.

So just as an example if I owned two consoles, maybe I have one I bring to work/out to places and one stays docked at home I would have to buy two copies of the game if I wanted to say play Splatoon 2 with a friend that comes over and we both use a different Switch.

I've understood you don't need to deactivate any console to play your digitally purchased game on another console. According to Nintendo you can have your account active on several consoles. There's only a check that you can't have a game running on two systems at the same time and the game pauses on the other system if it's started on another system. https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22448 

I'm not sure what you mean by "gamesharing" but as far as I know, no system allows having the exact same game running on multiple systems at the same time. Unless you buy it for PC DRM free.

On 16/09/2018 at 1:33 PM, SnowxSakura said:

You're not paying for the free games, you're paying to use the online services. PSN isn't free to run and it costs a lot of money, same reason why xbox has been doing it longer, and even nintendo is doing it

Just spotted this post when @Eyjabria quoted it, somehow missed it (probably because it looks like I was writing a post at the same time).

The games are not free. They're part of the package, both with PS+, with GwG and with NSO. It's all up to you which part of the package you buy it for. Personally, I don't play online so I pay for PS+ just for the monthly games. The extra discounts are a nice bonus, I've only used could saving once (and could've copied to USB as well but I had PS+ anyway), and I only play online if I liked the single player and want to go for the platinum. So with NSO, I'm also mainly looking at the games that come with it to decide if the service is worth my money.

1 minute ago, Eyjabria said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "gamesharing" but as far as I know, no system allows having the exact same game running on multiple systems at the same time. Unless you buy it for PC DRM free.

PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One all allow what is called 'game sharing'.

Me and a friend can play off a single digital copy of the same game on two separate consoles with our own respective accounts.

(Sony used to allow up to six consoles to do it before bringing it down to two.) 

4 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One all allow what is called 'game sharing'.

Me and a friend can play off a single digital copy of the same game on two separate consoles with our own respective accounts.

(Sony used to allow up to six consoles to do it before bringing it down to two.) 

Oh, I see. So it's kind of like Download Play on 3DS but with the full game content available on multiple consoles + accounts? You can't go to your friend's place to play the games you own on your personal account on their consoles, though?

Just now, Eyjabria said:

Oh, I see. So it's kind of like Download Play on 3DS but with the full game content available on multiple consoles + accounts? You can't go to your friend's place to play the games you own on your personal account on their consoles, though?

Yes.

You can play your games anywhere, the game license is tied to your account. Then you can have one other console besides the one at your house as the designated "main" console where any account on that console can play the games/content.