Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

7 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Not sure what you meant about eShop funds. Weren't they already shared? That's how it seemed to work for me (but it might have been something I did to initiate it). I think that even happened pre-Switch?

When I read the article I thought The Nintendo ID(3DS) was going to be tied with your Nintendo account (Switch) but I misread it and it was refering to Switch Profiles and Nintendo accounts and nothing about the 3DS.

Edited by Aexuz

I missed the Direct, will probably watch it later today. Anyone see anything they really want?

I've properly started on West Of Loathing now. Lots of silly fun to be had.

15 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Ha, that makes me think of the old classic:

Loving couple: "Pastor Jones, we'd like you to marry us!"

Pastor Jones: "I thought you wanted to marry each other?!?"

Yeah I misinterpret lines like that all the time. And I know I've misinterpreted them, but I'll say my line anyways. Might help people to put more effort into how they say things.

By the by, I played some West Of Loathing yesterday, and this joke made me giggle. It's also exactly what we were talking about, and does channel one of the Airplane! running gags:

Spoiler

l87z2i8_d.jpg?maxwidth=1080&fidelity=hig

I love ZAZ movies. It's a shame that David Zucker got into conservative politics recently instead of continuing with satire. I even like Scary Movie 3 and 4. Of course, I guess even if they did make a movie today, it wouldn't have the same impact without Leslie Nielsen.

I liked Scary Movie 3 much more than 1-2. The theatre here was in stitches when Nielsen repeated his running gag from Airplane!.

I really like BASEketball, though it's far from perfect.

Anything ZAZ did apart or together is miles better than the recent batch of "parody" films. Funnily, the Deadpool movies come closest to the ZAZ mindset, spiritually.

Also, if you haven't seen it, check out the Police Squad! TV series that preceded Naked Gun. It's only 6 episodes but it's pretty good.

I've got it on DVD :)

Edited by Spawn
Pic fix

About the Nintendo Switch Online - does anyone know if it's like PS+ where you don't keep the free games after the subscription is over? There are a ton of NES classics being given so i was wondering this, i have only read of the upcoming NES titles, and not if you keep / don't keep it after the sub expires.

Just now, renatabls said:

About the Nintendo Switch Online - does anyone know if it's like PS+ where you don't keep the free games after the subscription is over? There are a ton of NES classics being given so i was wondering this, i have only read of the upcoming NES titles, and not if you keep / don't keep it after the sub expires.

Everything we know would hint at you not keeping the games when your sub expires, like PS+, but that unlike PS+, whenever you start a subscription you get access to the entire library. So the subscription starts with twenty NES games, and there will be a gradual expansion, and if you only subscribe a year from now you'll get access to all the games that have been released through the service.

Honestly, I'm in doubt about the service. I would rather have kept the games and I prefer SNES/N64/GC titles and I don't even play online, but on the other hand if there's many titles in the service I might just decide €20 is cheap enough for a year (and I get cloud backup along with it).

• Like 1

Just now, Spawn said:

Everything we know would hint at you not keeping the games when your sub expires, like PS+, but that unlike PS+, whenever you start a subscription you get access to the entire library. So the subscription starts with twenty NES games, and there will be a gradual expansion, and if you only subscribe a year from now you'll get access to all the games that have been released through the service.

Honestly, I'm in doubt about the service. I would rather have kept the games and I prefer SNES/N64/GC titles and I don't even play online, but on the other hand if there's many titles in the service I might just decide €20 is cheap enough for a year (and I get cloud backup along with it).

I see, i'll wait a while to buy it then, i'm very interested on the Ninja Gaiden coming in December though, it's been a long time since i played that. Thanks for the info. :D 

26 minutes ago, renatabls said:

I see, i'll wait a while to buy it then, i'm very interested on the Ninja Gaiden coming in December though, it's been a long time since i played that. Thanks for the info. :D 

If you like Ninja Gaiden, have you played The Messenger yet?

I never played Ninja Gaiden games but I'm loving The Messenger and it's supposed to be a love letter to Ninja Gaiden.

• Like 1

I just got an e-mail from Nintendo with what probably is a shorthand for the Direct.

Luigi's Mansion 3: I missed 2 but I liked the first Luigi's Mansion game. Could go either way for me.

Online: Still in doubt. The new titles don't do much for me, but Super Mario Bros. 3 is something I'd very much like to play on the Switch. I also habe it on my SNES though.

Super Mario Bros. U Ultimate: I don't know. It's good that the Luigi DLC is included. I'm not a big fan of the New Bros series though, but I never tried to play throughone on my own.

Civilization VI, Final Fantasy: I'm probably never buying these games, not interested at all.

Animal Crossing: never played any of them but with the N64 title it was mostly because it never became available over here. Back then I liked the idea that a lot of NES games could be played through it.

I probably won't bother with the online service until something happens that makes me feel I need it (ie. maybe friends also getting the Switch to play Smash online or something).

They announced that Final Fantasy 7, 9, 10, 10-2, 12 and World of Final Fantasy are all making their way to the Switch.  I'll probably pass unless they make up a nice physical release for some of them (doubtful for 7 and 9 anyways)... I already own so many versions of the ones I'd want... but I wonder why 8 is being so neglected. ?

EDIT: Oh, and Warframe is coming to the Switch on November 20th.  I think someone here said they were hoping for that.

Edited by Dreakon13

6 hours ago, Spawn said:

By the by, I played some West Of Loathing yesterday, and this joke made me giggle. It's also exactly what we were talking about, and does channel one of the Airplane! running gags:

Reveal hidden contents

l87z2i8_d.jpg?maxwidth=1080&fidelity=hig

Ha, that's great. I need to start playing it.

6 hours ago, Spawn said:

I liked Scary Movie 3 much more than 1-2. The theatre here was in stitches when Nielsen repeated his running gag from Airplane!.

I saw 3 and 4 before 1 and 2, and after seeing 1, I have no need to see 2. SM1 was just gross and not very funny. I think the Wayans are hilarious in In Living Color, but they went too far into the gross-out category with SM1.

6 hours ago, Spawn said:

Anything ZAZ did apart or together is miles better than the recent batch of "parody" films. Funnily, the Deadpool movies come closest to the ZAZ mindset, spiritually.

Agreed (although I haven't seen David Zucker's "Michael Moore parody" movie which veered hard into conservative politics). Although the parody films seem to have died off.

I never thought of the Deadpool movies being spiritual successors to the ZAZ movies. Interesting. I liked the first one, but didn't love it. I haven't seen the second yet.

For me, the funniest movies they made were the Naked Gun trilogy and Airplane. I liked but didn't love: Kentucky Fried Movie, Top Secret!, and Ruthless People. As for their solo movies, the two Hot Shots! movies were up there with Naked Gun. Lloyd Bridges is hilarious in those movies. After that, I'd say SM3 and 4 were very good. BASketball was decent and so was Jane Austen's Mafia and Rat Race. I haven't seen High School High, My Boss's Daughter, An American Carol (the conservative movie I mentioned), Big Business, or Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael. I don't think all of those movies are in the same vein as the classic ones though.

6 hours ago, Spawn said:

I've got it on DVD :)

Nice, so do I. My wife loves the Japanese Garden bit, although she likes pretty much all of it. I always loved the free frame endings.

6 hours ago, Spawn said:

I missed the Direct, will probably watch it later today. Anyone see anything they really want?

Now this was a great Direct. It was a nice mix of first and third party games. Highlights for me:

Luigi's Mansion 3 (I played a bit of the first and finished the second game)

Katamari Damacy REROLL

Daemon X Machina

Yoshi's Crafted World

Starlink: Battle for Atlas (nice to get more info on the Starfox content)

The World Ends With You: Final Remix

The Final Fantasy "games dump" was smart, since those games are very popular. I may get FFX/X2 to start out. I have them on PS4 and Vita, but why not buy them again? :)

Anyway, I'm probably most excited about Yoshi, although Starlink is moving up. The thing that would really push me into excitement would be confirmation that the Starfox content is a full blown story experience (even if it's just a few story missions in a short campaign - Starfox games were never very long). Also, I'm hoping the Starfox content won't require having the ship model attached. I'll play it mostly in Handheld mode and I don't need a bulky attachment while I'm trying to fly the Arwing.

5 hours ago, Spawn said:

Hmm. Hopefully the expanding selection won't involve removing earlier games. They keep talking about the selection of NES games, so it seems more and more like SNES/N64/GC games are not coming. I still hope that we'll eventually get them somehow though.

3 hours ago, Spawn said:

Super Mario Bros. U Ultimate: I don't know. It's good that the Luigi DLC is included. I'm not a big fan of the New Bros series though, but I never tried to play throughone on my own.

I mean... it's good that Nintendo isn't trying to charge for Luigi's DLC separately, but when it first came out on Wii U, they sold a combo disc that had both games on it, and that became the de facto version of the game (and it later got a Nintendo Selects budget rerelease). So Nintendo shouldn't act like this is some great deal.

As for the game itself, I only played a little bit of the Luigi DLC and I did not get close to 100% in the base game. From what I could see, Luigi DLC was just the speed run versions of existing levels. If that's your thing, you might like it. The base game is competent, and it's probably the pinnacle of the New Bros series, but it's just very rote. If you're dying for 2D Mario, it's a decent game, but you'd be better off playing SM3 or SMW for the 20th time.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

32 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Katamari Damacy REROLL

Wait WHAT

Ha, that's great. I need to start playing it.

That's what she said!

Uhm, I mean, yeah you do!

I saw 3 and 4 before 1 and 2, and after seeing 1, I have no need to see 2. SM1 was just gross and not very funny. I think the Wayans are hilarious in In Living Color, but they went too far into the gross-out category with SM1.

Agreed (although I haven't seen David Zucker's "Michael Moore parody" movie which veered hard into conservative politics). Although the parody films seem to have died off.

I never thought of the Deadpool movies being spiritual successors to the ZAZ movies. Interesting. I liked the first one, but didn't love it. I haven't seen the second yet.

For me, the funniest movies they made were the Naked Gun trilogy and Airplane. I liked but didn't love: Kentucky Fried Movie, Top Secret!, and Ruthless People. As for their solo movies, the two Hot Shots! movies were up there with Naked Gun. Lloyd Bridges is hilarious in those movies. After that, I'd say SM3 and 4 were very good. BASketball was decent and so was Jane Austen's Mafia and Rat Race. I haven't seen High School High, My Boss's Daughter, An American Carol (the conservative movie I mentioned), Big Business, or Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael. I don't think all of those movies are in the same vein as the classic ones though.

Apparently there's more films of them that I didn't see than I thought...

On top are Naked Gun 2.5 and Airplane for me, but BASEketball and the Hot Shots films were very cool too. Didn't know Rat Race was theirs.

I don't see Deadpool films as ZAZ successors necessarily, but they do nail the "parody with smart dumb jokes" part. I liked Deadpool 2 even more than the first one, by the way.

Now this was a great Direct. It was a nice mix of first and third party games. Highlights for me:

Luigi's Mansion 3 (I played a bit of the first and finished the second game)

Katamari Damacy REROLL

Daemon X Machina

Yoshi's Crafted World

Starlink: Battle for Atlas (nice to get more info on the Starfox content)

The World Ends With You: Final Remix

The Final Fantasy "games dump" was smart, since those games are very popular. I may get FFX/X2 to start out. I have them on PS4 and Vita, but why not buy them again? :)

Anyway, I'm probably most excited about Yoshi, although Starlink is moving up. The thing that would really push me into excitement would be confirmation that the Starfox content is a full blown story experience (even if it's just a few story missions in a short campaign - Starfox games were never very long). Also, I'm hoping the Starfox content won't require having the ship model attached. I'll play it mostly in Handheld mode and I don't need a bulky attachment while I'm trying to fly the Arwing.

Hmm. Hopefully the expanding selection won't involve removing earlier games. They keep talking about the selection of NES games, so it seems more and more like SNES/N64/GC games are not coming. I still hope that we'll eventually get them somehow though.

I mean... it's good that Nintendo isn't trying to charge for Luigi's DLC separately, but when it first came out on Wii U, they sold a combo disc that had both games on it, and that became the de facto version of the game (and it later got a Nintendo Selects budget rerelease). So Nintendo shouldn't act like this is some great deal.

As for the game itself, I only played a little bit of the Luigi DLC and I did not get close to 100% in the base game. From what I could see, Luigi DLC was just the speed run versions of existing levels. If that's your thing, you might like it. The base game is competent, and it's probably the pinnacle of the New Bros series, but it's just very rote. If you're dying for 2D Mario, it's a decent game, but you'd be better off playing SM3 or SMW for the 20th time.

Watching the Direct now...

Luigi's Mansion 3: yeah, looks good.

Ignoring 3DS... Though I wouldn't mind seeing Epic Yarn and Luigi's Mansion 1 on Switch. By the way @MosesRockefeller, have you seen that some games are getting Labo updates? You can use the bike part from the variety set to play in Mario Kart for instance, and Deemo will be partly playable with the piano part.

That Splatoon stuff does nothing to making me want the game more.

Mega Man 11: played the demo, didn't really care for it.

Mario Tennis Aces: further reminder of my main misbuy on the Switch. If they'd put more single player stuff in there, I might take note.

Not into beat'em-ups so ignoring that collection.

New Super Mario Bros. U Ultimate: @MosesRockefeller it didn't look like Nintendo acted like Luigi's DLC being there was some big deal, it was just making note of it being included - which seems obvious since all to-Switch ports have everything included, but it's good to know nontheless. Looks like it could be fun.

Katamari Damacy REROLL: AWESOME! I only played the X360 game but I liked it a lot. Seeing as it's just a HD port of the first game, I hope the price is decent.

Online: love that Bowser & Jr playing together bit. I never played stuff like Metroid or the first two Zelda games (and I'm not about to buy a NES console), so there just might be enough in there to put in €20 for the first year and see where things are a year from now. That part about cloud saving is utter bullshit though, Nintendo should just allow me to save to the microSD card. Don't know how much good the specials would do for me though, as I buy everything I think I want anyway. I like those NES controllers though.

Pokémon Let's Go: nice way of getting around losing the HMs. Still not sure if I want the game.

Diablo 3: stepbrother wants to play this with me so I'll probably get it at some point.

Super Mario Party: still interested in this. Will probably get it day one.

Town: Nah.

Cities Skylines: Didn't this game bomb completely? Or am I confusing it with something else?

Daemon X Machina: no thank you.

Yoshi's Crafted World: remember whwn Yoshi's Island was actually pretty tough, or at least of regular difficulty? Nontheless, I'll probably get it.

Not interested in digital board games, I'd rather play them as board games.

Civilization VI: not my thing.

Starlink: already paid off, thanks for the 20% discount Ubi!

The World Ends With You and Xenoblade Chronicles: nope.

Only thing remotely interesting in the quick list for me is Team Sonic Racing, and I'm not sure about that one either.

Final Fantasy doesn't do anything for me, so that whole list is like white noise to me.

That Super Smash Bros dock looks cool actually, unlike the ugly Pokémon one. 

Animal Crossing: ... What the hell did I just watch?

I watched the Direct yesterday and it was amazing. FF7, FF9 and FF10 1 and 2 are coming to the Switch. Plus Luigi's Mansion 3 is coming to the Switch as well.

Plus, there's New Super Mario Bros Wii U Deluxed coming to the Switch with Toadette being a new character. I like the way Toadette gets a power-up that turns her into a Peace lookalike. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee also looks fun.

Plus, I'm getting the Nintendo Switch Online Service next week.

Also, a friendly reminder, don't go to the comment sections on Nintendo Life. Full of negativity and crap. Some of the commentors there don't like the Nintendo Switch's Online Service, but that's just their opinion about this. Plus $20 dollars a year for a subscription doesn't sound too bad. :)

Edited by MMX20
Correction

1 hour ago, Spawn said:

Apparently there's more films of them that I didn't see than I thought...

On top are Naked Gun 2.5 and Airplane for me, but BASEketball and the Hot Shots films were very cool too. Didn't know Rat Race was theirs.

I don't see Deadpool films as ZAZ successors necessarily, but they do nail the "parody with smart dumb jokes" part. I liked Deadpool 2 even more than the first one, by the way.

Yeah, Rat Race was just Abrams by himself, and it was early 2000s so the 80's creativity was a little bit removed. Still an enjoyable movie though. Good to know about DP2. My friend loved it but he's a big DP fan so I have to temper my expectations accordingly. To me, it's just a comedy-action franchise. I actually like Ryan Reynolds a lot, but I'll be honest, in general I like PG13 comedies more than R comedies. This may not make sense, but as I recently explained to a friend, bleeping swear words is often funnier than the actual words.

1 hour ago, Spawn said:
Spoiler

Watching the Direct now...

Luigi's Mansion 3: yeah, looks good.

Ignoring 3DS... Though I wouldn't mind seeing Epic Yarn and Luigi's Mansion 1 on Switch. By the way @MosesRockefeller,

have you seen that some games are getting Labo updates? You can use the bike part from the variety set to play in Mario Kart for instance, and Deemo will be partly playable with the piano part.

That Splatoon stuff does nothing to making me want the game more.

Mega Man 11: played the demo, didn't really care for it.

Mario Tennis Aces: further reminder of my main misbuy on the Switch. If they'd put more single player stuff in there, I might take note.

Not into beat'em-ups so ignoring that collection.

New Super Mario Bros. U Ultimate: @MosesRockefeller

it didn't look like Nintendo acted like Luigi's DLC being there was some big deal, it was just making note of it being included - which seems obvious since all to-Switch ports have everything included, but it's good to know nontheless. Looks like it could be fun.

Katamari Damacy REROLL: AWESOME! I only played the X360 game but I liked it a lot. Seeing as it's just a HD port of the first game, I hope the price is decent.

Online: love that Bowser & Jr playing together bit. I never played stuff like Metroid or the first two Zelda games (and I'm not about to buy a NES console), so there just might be enough in there to put in €20 for the first year and see where things are a year from now. That part about cloud saving is utter bullshit though, Nintendo should just allow me to save to the microSD card. Don't know how much good the specials would do for me though, as I buy everything I think I want anyway. I like those NES controllers though.

Pokémon Let's Go: nice way of getting around losing the HMs. Still not sure if I want the game.

Diablo 3: stepbrother wants to play this with me so I'll probably get it at some point.

Super Mario Party: still interested in this. Will probably get it day one.

Town: Nah.

Cities Skylines: Didn't this game bomb completely? Or am I confusing it with something else?

Daemon X Machina: no thank you.

Yoshi's Crafted World: remember whwn Yoshi's Island was actually pretty tough, or at least of regular difficulty? Nontheless, I'll probably get it.

Not interested in digital board games, I'd rather play them as board games.

Civilization VI: not my thing.

Starlink: already paid off, thanks for the 20% discount Ubi!

The World Ends With You and Xenoblade Chronicles: nope.

Only thing remotely interesting in the quick list for me is Team Sonic Racing, and I'm not sure about that one either.

Final Fantasy doesn't do anything for me, so that whole list is like white noise to me.

That Super Smash Bros dock looks cool actually, unlike the ugly Pokémon one. 

Animal Crossing: ... What the hell did I just watch?

A couple of notes:

Luigi's Mansion 1: I might get this on 3DS. I still have mine and I think the dual screens will be used well for this game.

Kirby's Epic Yarn: I have the original Wii disc, so I'll probably just play it on my Wii U. I would definitely play this on Switch though.

Labo: I knew about the MK8 update, but I did NOT know the piano was made playable for Deemo. That's cool. My daughter and I had fun with the Variety Kit, but the minigames are not very substantial.

Splatoon 2: I know you didn't have a Wii U, but I played the story in Splatoon 1 (and then traded the game in for a decent chunk of the original purchase) and played a bit of MP. Splatoon 2 is mostly more of the same, but that Octo Expansion story DLC adds tons of new levels. It's pretty fun but may not be worth $60 (+20 for the DLC) to you. I'd try playing it in a store, if you have something like Gamestop that lets you try games. The gameplay is solid, but for people who don't play much multiplayer, it's not as enticing.

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe: Yeah, I was probably being a little unfair to Nintendo in my earlier statement. If they didn't say the Luigi DLC was included, people would say "maybe it's not!" At least they added some content to the Switch version. I wonder what price Nintendo will pick. I think it's worth $20, maybe 30, but I think 40 or more is too high. Which means it will probably be $50. :P

Katamari Damacy REROLL: I played the Vita touchscreen version, and some older one on the PS3 (but only a little of it). I think having a full-blown version of the original is great. Hopefully it will be $20 or less.

Switch Online: Yeah, the Bowser/Bowser Jr animations were great. I'm going to get Online for the cloud saves, but I'm not super excited about the NES games. I'm sure I'll try some games like Dr Mario (maybe my wife would even try that out in multiplayer), but generally speaking I don't enjoy NES games nearly as much as SNES. Metroid 1 is too dated for me. I need the quality of life improvements from Super Metroid (mostly the map!). The NES controllers look cool. I wonder if they'll work with any other games (e.g. platformers like Shovel Knight that don't need all the extra buttons), and if they have rumble.

Pokemon Let's Go: I'm not sold yet. I've tried 3 or 4 DS/3DS iterations and never get past a few gym leader battles before I lose interest. This one might just be accessible enough for me to stick with it. I'll wait and see.

Super Mario Party: The singleplayer mode interests me. This might be worth getting. Also, double gold points for digital: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/earn-double-gold-points-with-digital-pre-purchase-of-super-mario-party

Yoshi's Crafted World: About the difficulty - I could not beat the final boss in Yoshi's Island, so yes I remember when the games were tough. If Woolly World is any indication, this game will be similar to Kirby Star Allies - fairly easy but 100% will be much trickier (and 100% is much more involved than Star Allies, since there is more than a single big puzzle piece and possibly a button to push in each level). I'm excited; Woolly World was so much fun.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate dock: Agreed, it looks great! Easily the best looking dock. If Nintendo ever gets around to selling standalone docks that aren't just the standard ones (which is doubtful), I'd be tempted for this one. I could keep a dock at work in our IT storage room!

1 hour ago, MMX20 said:

I watched the Direct yesterday and it was amazing. FF7, FF9 and FF10 1 and 2 are coming to the Switch. Plus Luigi's Mansion 3 is coming to the Switch as well.

Plus, there's New Super Mario Bros Wii U Deluxed coming to the Switch with Toadette being a new character. I like the way Toadette gets a power-up that turns her into a Peace lookalike. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee also looks fun.

Plus, I'm getting the Nintendo Switch Online Service next week.

Also, a friendly reminder, don't go to the comment sections on Nintendo Life. Full of negativity and crap. Some of the commentors there don't like the Nintendo Switch's Online Service, but that's just their opinion about this. Plus $20 dollars a year for a subscription doesn't sound too bad. :)

Nice to see some positivity. I regularly visit Nintendo Life but I don't read the comments much. $20 just for cloud saves is fine by me. I hope the service eventually evolves into something truly great, but I'll take it. I'm hoping the "Specials Offers" that were mentioned involve digital discounts on occasion.

1 hour ago, LepreCon1991 said:

I will be the proud owner of a Switch this weekend! Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be my first titles!

Congrats! Those 3 games have enough content to keep you busy well into 2019. :)

I just got XC2 myself, but I'm not sure when I'll start it. I have so many games on Switch, let alone PS4.

I just started the Donkey Kong DLC for Mario+Rabbids. Once I finish this, I'll trade in the game. I played the first battle last night, so I haven't spent enough time to get used to Donkey and Cranky's moves. The intro cutscenes were very funny though, all without a single word of spoken dialog. I really hope Ubisoft expands on their creative partnership with Nintendo and gives us more quality SP games. If Starlink lives up to expectations, they'll be 2 for 2!

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Lots of nice things coming to both 3DS and Switch! The most interesting stuff were the new Animal Crossing, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 expansion, Luigi's Mansion and Kirby for 3DS and Katamari Damacy Reroll. Funnily I just recently started a new playthrough of the 9-year-old Katamari Forever on PS3. 

I'm waiting to see a limited edition Animal Crossing Switch console. Definitely going to buy one if they make it white and if the design looks nice. It would be my fourth limited edition Animal Crossing console. :blush:

3 hours ago, renatabls said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-14-nintendo-requires-weekly-online-check-in-to-play-nes-games

Thoughts? You need to connect to the internet one time a week to be able to play the free NES games, and the cloud saves are also not kept once the subscription runs out... 

Doesn't sound too enticing. What bothers me the most is that Nintendo has convinced us we're getting a cloud save service for a year and now it turns out you can't even back up your saves for all your games. I'm not going to pay for a save backup service, especially one where the saves aren't kept intact the moment your sub runs out (if that part is really true). You should be able to make your own backups on a hard drive.

The only game I've played online is Splatoon 2 and I don't know if I'll fork over money to keep playing online. Not that interested in the NES games either, played some of them on a real NES back in the day. I'll have to wait and see if there's any kind of value in this for our household. 

Sure the Switch Online Service subscription is much cheaper than PS Plus for example, but why would I pay extra each month for features I don't want or need? Sony keeps pushing their online service by adding online trophies everywhere and manufacturing unreliable memory cards. Guess what Sony, I just won't buy games with online trophies and when a memory card fails, I won't buy a new one. The discounts and "free" games you have to pay a subscription for are also laughable.

On 14/09/2018 at 4:00 PM, MMX20 said:

Possibly the best part of having this thread on a PlayStation forum is that none of the posters here are committed to one console maker so there's much less blind fanboys and/or blind haters.

Personally I'm not too happy with the service because I'd rather had seen SNES and N64 games just released through VC again where I can own them, and that I'd just wanted to be able to copy my save files to microSD cards myself. I'll probably still get the service even though I'm not into online, because I haven't played stuff like the original Zeldas and Metroids yet and I probably will never get a NES.

On 14/09/2018 at 4:02 PM, LepreCon1991 said:

I will be the proud owner of a Switch this weekend! Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be my first titles!

Welcome to the club! Just let us know if you need any thoughts on other games. Here's a freebie, a list of games I think are fun that you can't find on PlayStation consoles:

Golf Story

World Of Goo

Fast RMX

The Messenger

Agatha Knife

Runner3

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Human Resource Machine

Picross S and Picross S 2

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

Snipperclips

Bulb Boy

On 14/09/2018 at 5:05 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, Rat Race was just Abrams by himself, and it was early 2000s so the 80's creativity was a little bit removed. Still an enjoyable movie though. Good to know about DP2. My friend loved it but he's a big DP fan so I have to temper my expectations accordingly. To me, it's just a comedy-action franchise. I actually like Ryan Reynolds a lot, but I'll be honest, in general I like PG13 comedies more than R comedies. This may not make sense, but as I recently explained to a friend, bleeping swear words is often funnier than the actual words.

Hot Shots! was just made by Abrams too though and we both liked that one. Deadpool in comics and movies is just one big meta ball of action and humour. I think Deadpool 2 is much truer to the comics.

Splatoon 2: I know you didn't have a Wii U, but I played the story in Splatoon 1 (and then traded the game in for a decent chunk of the original purchase) and played a bit of MP. Splatoon 2 is mostly more of the same, but that Octo Expansion story DLC adds tons of new levels. It's pretty fun but may not be worth $60 (+20 for the DLC) to you. I'd try playing it in a store, if you have something like Gamestop that lets you try games. The gameplay is solid, but for people who don't play much multiplayer, it's not as enticing.

Yeah there's a used store where I can try games, which is even easier with the Switch as I can just bring my own console along. I've got much higher profile games on my list though so I probably won't bother.

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe: Yeah, I was probably being a little unfair to Nintendo in my earlier statement. If they didn't say the Luigi DLC was included, people would say "maybe it's not!" At least they added some content to the Switch version. I wonder what price Nintendo will pick. I think it's worth $20, maybe 30, but I think 40 or more is too high. Which means it will probably be $50. :P

... Wasn't New Mario Bros U just the regular $60 on the Wii U then?

Pokemon Let's Go: I'm not sold yet. I've tried 3 or 4 DS/3DS iterations and never get past a few gym leader battles before I lose interest. This one might just be accessible enough for me to stick with it. I'll wait and see.

Yeah if you're usually not into Pokémon games, Let's Go might just have changed enough to become appealing, which is what the diehard fans often forget since they only think about themselves.

Super Mario Party: The singleplayer mode interests me. This might be worth getting. Also, double gold points for digital: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/earn-double-gold-points-with-digital-pre-purchase-of-super-mario-party

Yeah I noticed the double points the day it was up for pre-order, and it might be what wins me over. Single player? Do you mean playing the board game with bots?

Yoshi's Crafted World: About the difficulty - I could not beat the final boss in Yoshi's Island, so yes I remember when the games were tough. If Woolly World is any indication, this game will be similar to Kirby Star Allies - fairly easy but 100% will be much trickier (and 100% is much more involved than Star Allies, since there is more than a single big puzzle piece and possibly a button to push in each level). I'm excited; Woolly World was so much fun.

Woolly World is a game I wouldn't mind seeing on the Switch. I'll probably get Crafted World regardless of difficulty, I'm just a bit sad that difficulty has left the various Mario platformers. Well, at least I got Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze this year, which was a new game to me and had just about the same difficulty feel as the original games, with the exception of bosses being tougher (and more fun).

I just started the Donkey Kong DLC for Mario+Rabbids. Once I finish this, I'll trade in the game. I played the first battle last night, so I haven't spent enough time to get used to Donkey and Cranky's moves. The intro cutscenes were very funny though, all without a single word of spoken dialog. I really hope Ubisoft expands on their creative partnership with Nintendo and gives us more quality SP games. If Starlink lives up to expectations, they'll be 2 for 2!

Let me know if Donkey Kong's DLC is enjoyable enough.

I think Ubisoft is on a roll these past few years. After Starlink releases, I'm going to take a few days off to play it and AC Odyssey which releases the week before.

On 15/09/2018 at 6:11 AM, renatabls said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-14-nintendo-requires-weekly-online-check-in-to-play-nes-games

Thoughts? You need to connect to the internet one time a week to be able to play the free NES games, and the cloud saves are also not kept once the subscription runs out... 

22 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Doesn't sound too enticing. What bothers me the most is that Nintendo has convinced us we're getting a cloud save service for a year and now it turns out you can't even back up your saves for all your games. I'm not going to pay for a save backup service, especially one where the saves aren't kept intact the moment your sub runs out (if that part is really true). You should be able to make your own backups on a hard drive.

The only game I've played online is Splatoon 2 and I don't know if I'll fork over money to keep playing online. Not that interested in the NES games either, played some of them on a real NES back in the day. I'll have to wait and see if there's any kind of value in this for our household. 

Sure the Switch Online Service subscription is much cheaper than PS Plus for example, but why would I pay extra each month for features I don't want or need? Sony keeps pushing their online service by adding online trophies everywhere and manufacturing unreliable memory cards. Guess what Sony, I just won't buy games with online trophies and when a memory card fails, I won't buy a new one. The discounts and "free" games you have to pay a subscription for are also laughable.

I actually pay for PS+ just for the games that go with it, and it's worth it every year for me. I'm not into online at all, and I do think Nintendo's shitty for not allowing me to copy save files to the microSD card.

On 13/09/2018 at 4:30 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

I checked Nintendo.com, and it's saying 2X is $15 USD, FYI.

On 13/09/2018 at 4:52 PM, Spawn said:

It's not on the Dutch site yet but that does seem like a better price - it's $20/€16 on PS4. If this means the EU price is €15 (one on one mapping) or less, if they still take difference in value into account, then I'm definitely getting it right away.

So Velocity 2X is on the eShop here now, and it's€20, which is bullshit. Not only is it much more expensive than it is on PS4, the US version on the Switch is actually a bit cheaper than it was on PS4. To compare, €20 is just over $23 and on PS4 the EU price actually reflected the Euro being a bit more valuable than the dollar.

This weird price difference is enough for me to not want to buy it until there's a sale. Or perhaps finally create an account for another country where the game is cheaper, but I don't feel like 'cheating' that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spawn said:

I actually pay for PS+ just for the games that go with it, and it's worth it every year for me. I'm not into online at all, and I do think Nintendo's shitty for not allowing me to copy save files to the microSD card.

Good to hear PS Plus has been worth it for you. In the past couple of years there's been maybe two or three games in the PS Plus offering that I've found somewhat interesting. I don't find paying 60 € per year for maybe 1 or 2 games that I might find relatively interesting worth it. Especially when those games can usually be bought for under 10 € in a sale. The subscription service just adds no value for me.

I also find it strange people think it's ok for Sony to lock platinum trophies behind a subscription paywall when the same people are crying about paid additional content DLC and how it all should be included in the game when they buy it.

49 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Good to hear PS Plus has been worth it for you. In the past couple of years there's been maybe two or three games in the PS Plus offering that I've found somewhat interesting. I don't find paying 60 € per year for maybe 1 or 2 games that I might find relatively interesting worth it. Especially when those games can usually be bought for under 10 € in a sale. The subscription service just adds no value for me.

I also find it strange people think it's ok for Sony to lock platinum trophies behind a subscription paywall when the same people are crying about paid additional content DLC and how it all should be included in the game when they buy it.

You're not paying for the free games, you're paying to use the online services. PSN isn't free to run and it costs a lot of money, same reason why xbox has been doing it longer, and even nintendo is doing it

44 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Yeah, it all depends on several factors if PS+ is worth it to you. I haven't kept count but PS+ months with zero games of interest to me are very rare. It's become less rare now that they do more old AAA games and less new indi games, but I still feel like getting enough out of it even before I start looking at the extra sales and even though I don't care about online gaming.

44 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

I'm not one of the complainers, but I guess the answer would be twofold:

1) You always know on release if a platinum needs online, but you don't always hear about DLC.

2) PS+ has become so common that it isn't even seen as locking a platinum behind a paywall except for the small overlap in gamers that care about trophies and gamers that don't buy PS+.

Bit late to the party, but those Hot Shots movies, along with Naked Gun, are some of the funniest stuff out there. I love that style of humour and had to interject with my approval.

Also, dilemma is solved and I will probably be getting the NS Online stuff. Was thinking to myself earlier today, the only thing on Switch I've played online all year is Fortnite, which I'm over and also doesn't need NSO so. But then I was like, I'd pay 30 a year for 30 NES games no problem (minimum 29 by the year's end, presumably with more to come) in a heartbeat, am I really going to deny myself something I'd otherwise get without hesitation "just" because I hate the idea of a company gating off something they've done for a year and a half for free, that they do worse than everyone else, behind a paywall? Eh, maybe. I don't know. Either way, I've come around and look forward to acquiring my millionth version of Super Mario Bros, even if it's really only a rental.

Also Surgeon Sim is great on Switch, as you'd expect.

Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition is also pretty cool, I've only done chapter one but it plays really nice on Switch, sucks you can't turn the camera with the right stick, that would make the thing that much better in my opinion but what can you do. Think it cost 27 or so with the launch discount, assuming I get a good 10 hours out of it like the reviews seem to say, I'll be a happy camper. I've never actually played a Final Fantasy game before. I played some of the Dissidia games on PSP but only for a couple hours or so, nothing major, and they just fighters anyways. This is pretty cool so far. I do look forward to number 7 coming to Switch. I've had 20 odd years and 20 odd ways to play it, but the Switch port will finally be the one that gets me to give it a go... unless they want like 40 bucks for it, then I might just download it to my PSP or something. 

On 9/15/2018 at 3:39 AM, Eyjabria said:

You should be able to make your own backups on a hard drive.

People would probably very quickly figure out how to hack their data. Give themselves all the best Splatoon gear.

Everything Nintendo is doing is to prevent hacking or exploiting their system.

-Can't backup locally

-Can't gameshare with a second system

-Different form of Virtual Console

-No direct web browser

7 hours ago, Spawn said:

Hot Shots! was just made by Abrams too though and we both liked that one. Deadpool in comics and movies is just one big meta ball of action and humour. I think Deadpool 2 is much truer to the comics.

True, but it was also made in the 80s when all three guys were in their prime. Rat Race is still very entertaining but it isn't a classic IMO. 

My friend is a big DP fan and the second movie really lived up to his expectations. For someone like me who doesn't read comics, it's just a movie sequel. I'm sure I'll find it funny, but it's not high on my priority list. To be honest I find all the meta stuff a little annoying. I enjoy some of it but eventually it just grates on me a bit. 

7 hours ago, Spawn said:

... Wasn't New Mario Bros U just the regular $60 on the Wii U then?

I'm not sure. Probably. That game (and the Wii U) wasn't on my radar until I got the Wii U after its big price cut, and it came with the game. So I never noticed the price. 

7 hours ago, Spawn said:

Yeah if you're usually not into Pokémon games, Let's Go might just have changed enough to become appealing, which is what the diehard fans often forget since they only think about themselves.

Sounds a bit like Star Wars fans, doesn't it? :P

7 hours ago, Spawn said:

Yeah I noticed the double points the day it was up for pre-order, and it might be what wins me over. Single player? Do you mean playing the board game with bots?

They mentioned a single player mode in the Direct. It seems to be for the board game mode, but they singled it out like it plays a bit differently. I guess I'll read some reviews for more details. 

7 hours ago, Spawn said:

I think Ubisoft is on a roll these past few years. After Starlink releases, I'm going to take a few days off to play it and AC Odyssey which releases the week before.

That reminds me, I still have AC Origins in shrink wrap. I need to get to that before too long. 

7 hours ago, Spawn said:

Agreed. The cloud saves and freebies are worth it for me. 

I think the lack of save backups on Switch is due to piracy concerns more than being a way to gouge customers. It's still frustrating though. 

7 hours ago, Spawn said:

So Velocity 2X is on the eShop here now, and it's€20, which is bullshit. Not only is it much more expensive than it is on PS4, the US version on the Switch is actually a bit cheaper than it was on PS4. To compare, €20 is just over $23 and on PS4 the EU price actually reflected the Euro being a bit more valuable than the dollar.

This weird price difference is enough for me to not want to buy it until there's a sale. Or perhaps finally create an account for another country where the game is cheaper, but I don't feel like 'cheating' that way.

That's dumb. I hope I live to see the day when international pricing is more fair. 

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition is also pretty cool, I've only done chapter one but it plays really nice on Switch, sucks you can't turn the camera with the right stick, that would make the thing that much better in my opinion but what can you do. Think it cost 27 or so with the launch discount, assuming I get a good 10 hours out of it like the reviews seem to say, I'll be a happy camper. I've never actually played a Final Fantasy game before. I played some of the Dissidia games on PSP but only for a couple hours or so, nothing major, and they just fighters anyways. This is pretty cool so far. I do look forward to number 7 coming to Switch. I've had 20 odd years and 20 odd ways to play it, but the Switch port will finally be the one that gets me to give it a go... unless they want like 40 bucks for it, then I might just download it to my PSP or something. 

That's cool that you're enjoying it. From what I understand, it's the full story of FFXV (without any of the story DLC), but the "time wasting" activities are scaled back so that the game length is a fair bit shorter. I noticed the discount expires with the next eShop update, so I hope I can find a Switch review soon. I have the full PS4 version of the game, but it seems much more likely that I would actually finish the game in the condensed Pocket Edition. 

I will get the Online Service on Tuesday when it lands. BTW, since the Online Service will feature some of the things in the direct, will the Nintendo Switch's Online Service improve over time like new features and more games than just NES games? Because with fan feedback, a online service gets better over time. Is that right?

Don't have time to respond to everything but it appears that all Nintendo accounts will get a week of a trial of Nintendo Switch Online once the subscription time would start.

If that's true and the full service is available for a week, then I'll definitely play Super Mario Bros. 3 and I might to get another NES game or two in. That way I'll know the quality of the main service part I'm interested in, and I might just be able to keep myself from subscribing until there's more knowledge about SNES/N64/GC games.