Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

3 hours ago, Kassandra said:

Have you bought and played Super Mario Party yet with the three of you?

I bought it digitally but I haven't done more than a few minigames yet.

3 hours ago, Kassandra said:

I've heard mixed stuff about Zero, mostly it being yet another reimagining of the original story. At least Starlink is something new.

Most people that complained about StarFox Zero did not like the control scheme that required you to use the Gamepad and TV together. The story was fine - I'm mostly playing StarFox games for the gameplay. Personally I enjoyed it a lot. The control scheme was tricky to get used to, but it let you do some cool stuff once you got the hang of it.

2 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Well, that would be kinda tricky as the game uses all four face buttons and has three different actions on the four shoulder buttons (one is mapped to two shoulder buttons). There's the dimension swap, change between Juan and Pollo and the evasion, which can also be triggered by using the right analog stick.

Using both the normal L/R and either SL/SR or ZL/ZR would offer enough buttons but I don't think that would be a comfortable way to play the game. :hmm:

That's a good point. You're right; it's probably not feasible. I guess you need both Joy-cons or a Pro Controller, per player.

I played a minigame marathon in Super Mario Party last night with my 4-year-old daughter. She had fun, but she couldn't figure out the controls for most of the minigames (most of them were motion controlled). Still, it was a fun time and I can see how fun this would be with 4 people who have at least casual gaming skills.

I'm still trucking along in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I recently started Chapter 7, and I think there are 10 chapters total. I'm really enjoying the game.

Got an email the other day from Nintendo, 8 codes for some costumes or something in Splatoon 2 for buying a year of online.

Absolutely no interest from me, if you fancy it, go nuts. 

C00CFHF05FKHQHKB C00CFHF1RB8JPY8W

C00CFHF2F7SVQQJY C00CFHF332CVTRQ3

C00CFHF4V6RRRBS1 C00CFHF5MP24HHCP

C00CFHF6DQ7T3C0H C00CFHF7SH2C8HL3

I have been playing quite a lot of Switch lately, and buying way too many games for it. I had enough gold points to make a serious dent in NSO so I got the one-year subscription, and I bought my first eShop game the other day too—a pre-order for Save Me Mr. Tako!, which I’ve been looking forward to as a former Game Boy kid. Also went in on my first Limited Run release by getting Golf Story which I’m excited to finally play, and hopefully it ships this month.

Hooked the Switch dock up to the television too for the first time. Played some Overcooked 2 co-op which is so great, but apparently my Joy Con batteries are kind of bad when not connected so I got those bulky Joy Con AA Battery packs. Now I’ll probably have to invest in an SD card soon if I’m going to keep at the Switch like I’ve been.

Yo, I been thinking this for a while, but now, after dusting off the Wii U and actually playing it again I'm REALLY thinking it,

Why the fuck didn't Nintendo throw up NES Remix with the online?

1, 2, the 3DS one which was the better one but who's name escapes me, a new one, anything.

It just seems like such an obvious missed opportunity, and it re-entered my head the other day with that "new" version of Zelda that put on there. Like if you're gonna be cheap and scungy with your online offerings, well, this seems like the perfect way to offer more value at little to no extra cost, and it would be totally fitting with the NES motif they've got going on right now. 20 odd NES games, and a new / ultimate (THAT's what it was called, Ultimate NES Remix) NES Remix title to go along with it would be great. Say you lock that game away to online users only. They get the feeling of getting something cool and unique (again, barely anyone bought a Wii U, so it'd be new to most people) being included with their subscription, and the people who don't bother with online are only missing out on a 20 buck pack of remixed old games so they shouldn't be too annoyed about not being able to buy it anyways.

NES Remix was fucking great. My save seems to have disappeared, but I've got just over 100 stars back now, and of the 7 games I've unlocked at the moment (not counting the Remix stages), only one, Donkey Kong Jr. (which is shit anyway) isn't already included in the NES Online pack of games. 

Imagine, basically, the tl;dr version of this,

Nintendo Switch Online. 

No voice chat, charge for online that was free for a year with no server improvements or anything, still use peer to peer connections on our own games, but

20 NES games, with 3 coming every month until support of the Switch ends (fuck it, there's enough NES games to keep that number for years), and Mega NES Remix (because Super would imply SNES) which updates every month to include stages from each month's new games.

Imagine, if you will, that NES Remix doesn't just come to the Switch, and doesn't just come as a complimentary and exclusive bonus to NSO users, but that it comes as a platform, that gets updated every single month with new stages to reflect the new games coming to the NSO service. Even if it's a smaller amount, say 5 challenges and 1 Remix stage for each of the 3 games, rather than the standard 10 or more that most games got in the series so far, it would be fucking great. Or I think it would anyway. It would also serve as a way to get people interested in some of the older games that they might not have played or even heard of, I'll be real, I have no fucking idea what Solomon's Key is and I have enough bloody games to get through before I bother to find out, but I tell you what, I would damn well play it's stages in NES Remix for Switch, and if I liked what I saw, well, look at that, the full game's right there. In that way, it could easily be used as a gateway game, or a series of demos / trials, etc. 

Just a thought, anyway, I gotta go.

Also it should be called NES Switcheroo. Obviously.

On 12/10/2018 at 4:43 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

I played a minigame marathon in Super Mario Party last night with my 4-year-old daughter. She had fun, but she couldn't figure out the controls for most of the minigames (most of them were motion controlled). Still, it was a fun time and I can see how fun this would be with 4 people who have at least casual gaming skills.

Last Sunday we had people over for a game of Arkham Horror, after that we did some Super Mario Party, first time I had four people playing. It was a lot of fun, though for the game to stay fun I do hope they eventually add at least two more boards.

I played some Starlink and although the new controller is very cool, I still prefer to use my pro controller. The game works like a charm in handheld mode, which I might actually prefer since it hides the drop-ins and graphics distance stuff. The Star Fox content is great too, it's not just that you're playing as Fox McCloud but the Star Fox team shows up in some cutscenes too, acting very much like you'd expect them to. Having this follow Mario + Rabbids, I do hope Ubisoft keeps upthe quality Nintendo crossovers.

5 hours ago, Kassandra said:

I played some Starlink and although the new controller is very cool, I still prefer to use my pro controller.

By "new controller" do you mean using the Joy-con grip with the mount? That's the only way to use the physical stuff, right?

Anyway, I agree that the Pro controller is great. I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 switching pretty regularly between handheld and TV modes, and I always like picking up the Pro controller when I'm in TV mode. I actually think HD rumble is pretty cool, too. Also, the battery on that controller is a beast, just like the Wii U Pro controller before it. I really hope Sony decides to give the PS5 a better battery life. The Dual Shock 3 had a pretty good battery, but compared to the Wii U and Switch Pro controllers I think it's shorter. The Dual Shock 4's battery is just embarrassing.

6 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

~snip~

Just a thought, anyway, I gotta go.

Also it should be called NES Switcheroo. Obviously.

That's a pretty good idea. I never played any of that series, but it seems like it would be a good fit on Switch, and it would appeal to people wanting to sample some NES games without committing to playing for hours.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

By "new controller" do you mean using the Joy-con grip with the mount? 

Yes.

That's the only way to use the physical stuff, right?

Yes 

Anyway, I agree that the Pro controller is great. I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 switching pretty regularly between handheld and TV modes, and I always like picking up the Pro controller when I'm in TV mode. I actually think HD rumble is pretty cool, too. Also, the battery on that controller is a beast, just like the Wii U Pro controller before it. I really hope Sony decides to give the PS5 a better battery life. The Dual Shock 3 had a pretty good battery, but compared to the Wii U and Switch Pro controllers I think it's shorter. The Dual Shock 4's battery is just embarrassing.

I love how long the pro controller's battery lasts. I'm gladI have two PS4 controllers because I have to switch for the other and load up the first at least once if I'm having a full gaming day. Doesn't happen with the Switch's pro controller, to the point that I still don't know actually how many hours I'm getting out of it as it takes so long to deplete.

Also @MosesRockefeller how is Mark Of The Ninja? You pre-ordered that one, right?

9 minutes ago, Kassandra said:

I love how long the pro controller's battery lasts. I'm gladI have two PS4 controllers because I have to switch for the other and load up the first at least once if I'm having a full gaming day. Doesn't happen with the Switch's pro controller, to the point that I still don't know actually how many hours I'm getting out of it as it takes so long to deplete.

Also @MosesRockefeller how is Mark Of The Ninja? You pre-ordered that one, right?

Yeah, it's kind of weird. I don't know how long the Joy-con OR Pro controller batteries last. I rarely have the Joy-cons off the Switch long enough to drain them much (stuff like Super Mario Party is only played in short bursts in my house), and I only played Tabletop Mode a little when I first got the Switch and was testing the ability to play BotW while lying down with the Switch on the floor. For the Pro controller, by the time I have to charge it, I forgot the last time I plugged it in. In fact, I think I actually have never drained it down low enough to get a warning (I usually charge it when I see the battery indicator is below 25 or 33%). It has died on me while not in use however (when I'd go for long periods of time only playing in Handheld Mode). Generally that doesn't happen anymore though, since I'm doing a fair bit of TV Mode now. 

I haven't played enough of Mark of the Ninja to provide much feedback yet. I'll post some thoughts when I do. And yes, it was yet another "pre order and don't play for a while" games for me. :awesome:

Yeah, it's kind of weird. I don't know how long the Joy-con OR Pro controller batteries last. I rarely have the Joy-cons off the Switch long enough to drain them much (stuff like Super Mario Party is only played in short bursts in my house), and I only played Tabletop Mode a little when I first got the Switch and was testing the ability to play BotW while lying down with the Switch on the floor. For the Pro controller, by the time I have to charge it, I forgot the last time I plugged it in. In fact, I think I actually have never drained it down low enough to get a warning (I usually charge it when I see the battery indicator is below 25 or 33%). It has died on me while not in use however (when I'd go for long periods of time only playing in Handheld Mode). Generally that doesn't happen anymore though, since I'm doing a fair bit of TV Mode now. 

Well I do know that the joy-cons deplete a lot faster when not in use, as I've had a double pair for a while now.

Talking about battery life, I've found that I can Switch on the way to and from work, plus having a lunch break sized Switch break, without needing to load up the console again, even if I leave it on sleep mode instead of turning it off.

I haven't played enough of Mark of the Ninja to provide much feedback yet. I'll post some thoughts when I do. And yes, it was yet another "pre order and don't play for a while" games for me. :awesome:

On that thought, I cancelled my Red Dead Redemption II pre-order. I've got too much still to play, and Hitman 2 is coming up close.

1 hour ago, Kassandra said:

Well I do know that the joy-cons deplete a lot faster when not in use, as I've had a double pair for a while now.

Talking about battery life, I've found that I can Switch on the way to and from work, plus having a lunch break sized Switch break, without needing to load up the console again, even if I leave it on sleep mode instead of turning it off.

Yeah, now I have the double pair but I haven't used more than 2 at a time yet. On a side note, I went with the green/pink ones (or "watermelon" as the Gamestop cashier called them) to go with my blue/red originals. This way they're all 4 different colors. On a side note, I think Nintendo should release more color schemes. How about purple, white, and black?

I think I mentioned it before, but I've had a few occurrences of a weird issue where the Switch drains itself when I have it in my backpack at work. I wonder if it's overheating due to it not cooling off properly when I quit the game on my lunch break. I have been playing XB2 and other resource-intensive games. I probably need to just start shutting it down to avoid the issue.

1 hour ago, Kassandra said:

On that thought, I cancelled my Red Dead Redemption II pre-order. I've got too much still to play, and Hitman 2 is coming up close.

Good call. I have too many games I'm interested in all coming out at the same time, in addition to my current games - LEGO DC Supervillains, Starlink, and RDR2, to name a few. Of course my dumb self just gets them all and watches them sit on my shelf collecting dust.

Finally filled my HORI card case 24, thanks to a good sale on L.A. Noire. With Golf Story showing up in the next month or so, and a pretty sizable list of already released Switch games I still intend to pick up, I already bought a second one (and third, lol). Poor Yonder will probably forever be the new-case casualty though.

Edited by nemoflouri

3 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, now I have the double pair but I haven't used more than 2 at a time yet. On a side note, I went with the green/pink ones (or "watermelon" as the Gamestop cashier called them) to go with my blue/red originals. This way they're all 4 different colors. On a side note, I think Nintendo should release more color schemes. How about purple, white, and black?

I got the grey Switch on release because I didn't know if I'd like the coloura in handheld mode (might have been too distracting), and bought the red/blue ones for four player games. I'd like to have seen some additional colours, seeing as experience shows that I go through multiple controllers in any console's life span.

I think I mentioned it before, but I've had a few occurrences of a weird issue where the Switch drains itself when I have it in my backpack at work. I wonder if it's overheating due to it not cooling off properly when I quit the game on my lunch break. I have been playing XB2 and other resource-intensive games. I probably need to just start shutting it down to avoid the issue.

It's a weird issue that I've never had, it instantly drained one time though when it was off and I tried to turn it on.

Good call. I have too many games I'm interested in all coming out at the same time, in addition to my current games - LEGO DC Supervillains, Starlink, and RDR2, to name a few. Of course my dumb self just gets them all and watches them sit on my shelf collecting dust.

Well then, you might just have to cancel on Red Dead Redemption II too.

Speaking of games and such, I just found out that the Tomorrow Corporation (of World Of Goo etc) have released a sequel to Human Resource Machine on PC, and it's coming to Switch next week:

14 hours ago, Kassandra said:

It's a weird issue that I've never had, it instantly drained one time though when it was off and I tried to turn it on.

Well then, you might just have to cancel on Red Dead Redemption II too.

Speaking of games and such, I just found out that the Tomorrow Corporation (of World Of Goo etc) have released a sequel to Human Resource Machine on PC, and it's coming to Switch next week:

It happened again last night, I got home and the Switch was dead. Very weird. I think I will shut it down manually next time and see if that keeps the battery going.

Nah, I won't cancel RDR2. It's one of those games that usually makes me drop everything else for a bit. I need to experience horses with balls shrinking in the cold! :P

Human Resource Machine got too tricky for my feeble mind, so I never finished it. It was a cool game though, and it deserves a sequel. I won't be getting it though.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Heads up, Nicalis started an autum sale.

Bought Cave Story+ myself. It's been said that it's an amazing game and it's up my alley as a hard action-platformer (@MosesRockefeller and it's a MetroidVania too!) but no way I was going to pay €30 for a decade old game that wouldn't even last me eight hours.

9 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

It happened again last night, I got home and the Switch was dead. Very weird. I think I will shut it down manually next time and see if that keeps the battery going.

Might be that the issue is with however you transport your Switch?

Nah, I won't cancel RDR2. It's one of those games that usually makes me drop everything else for a bit. I need to experience horses with balls shrinking in the cold! :P

Mèh, I'm not getting the hype. I mean, I get that people go nuts over the first new Rockstar in seven years but I'm just not seeing it, in big part thanks to Rockstar's focus on multiplayer.

Human Resource Machine got too tricky for my feeble mind, so I never finished it. It was a cool game though, and it deserves a sequel. I won't be getting it though.

People don't use the word 'feeble' often enough. 

15 hours ago, Kassandra said:

Heads up, Nicalis started an autum sale.

Bought Cave Story+ myself. It's been said that it's an amazing game and it's up my alley as a hard action-platformer (@MosesRockefeller and it's a MetroidVania too!) but no way I was going to pay €30 for a decade old game that wouldn't even last me eight hours.

I have Cave Story on 3DS and it is a fun game. I'll probably get back to it one day.

Might be that the issue is with however you transport your Switch?

Could be, although I don't think it's anything unusual - Switch in case, case in my backpack.

Mèh, I'm not getting the hype. I mean, I get that people go nuts over the first new Rockstar in seven years but I'm just not seeing it, in big part thanks to Rockstar's focus on multiplayer.

I'm basing it on the fact that I always enjoy Rockstar games a lot. GTA V had a big focus on multiplayer too, but that didn't stop me from fully enjoying the very large singleplayer campaign. I don't think RDR2 will have less singleplayer content than previous games, even though MP is obviously their big cash cow now. Also, I really loved RDR1, so why wouldn't I want more of the same?

People don't use the word 'feeble' often enough. 

Absolutely. I have no problem talking about my feebleness, trust me!

So if I like action platformers and metroidvanias, I should probably look into Cave Story+?  Is the impression I'm getting.

EDIT: In other news, I started a Hollow Knight playthrough probably a month or two ago when I was going through some very uncomfortable GI irritation to take my mind off of it lol.  Then I kinda stopped (I don't really like playing difficult games when my mind is otherwise occupied).  Now I'm having trouble getting back into it.  Need to take like a solid week off of work to get my gaming mojo back I think.

Edited by Dreakon13

10 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

So if I like action platformers and metroidvanias, I should probably look into Cave Story+?  Is the impression I'm getting.

From what I remember playing it a couple of years back, it is heavy on the action platforming (you have timed-recharge energy weapons IIRC). I don't remember it being a true metroidvania, but I think there might be some backtracking involved.

5 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

From what I remember playing it a couple of years back, it is heavy on the action platforming (you have timed-recharge energy weapons IIRC). I don't remember it being a true metroidvania, but I think there might be some backtracking involved.

Maybe I'll poke around eBay for a cheaper copy. :)  Thanks for the info.

@Kassandra, you heard about Shakedown apparently dropping in "early next year"?

Gotta be honest. Started out as one of my most anticipated Switch titles (can't remember if it was confirmed as a Switch launch exclusive or if I'm tripping, who knows), and now, with all the games I've since bought on Switch, and the time that's passed, I'm not only not excited, but I'm barely even interested any more. 

If it came out tomorrow, I don't even know if I'd buy it instantly, I might even wait on a sale. So much stuff has come out recently and will be coming out in the coming month or so, not to mention the big ass pile of crap I'll probably be picking up with all my eShop funds when the inevitable Christmas sale rolls around, funnily enough I'm not in a super rush any more to buy a 16 bit GTA 2 clone I wanted to play a year and a half or so ago. 

How's about you, buddy boy? Still keen, or has your enthusiasm waned also?

9 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

@Kassandra, you heard about Shakedown apparently dropping in "early next year"?

Gotta be honest. Started out as one of my most anticipated Switch titles (can't remember if it was confirmed as a Switch launch exclusive or if I'm tripping, who knows), and now, with all the games I've since bought on Switch, and the time that's passed, I'm not only not excited, but I'm barely even interested any more. 

If it came out tomorrow, I don't even know if I'd buy it instantly, I might even wait on a sale. So much stuff has come out recently and will be coming out in the coming month or so, not to mention the big ass pile of crap I'll probably be picking up with all my eShop funds when the inevitable Christmas sale rolls around, funnily enough I'm not in a super rush any more to buy a 16 bit GTA 2 clone I wanted to play a year and a half or so ago. 

How's about you, buddy boy? Still keen, or has your enthusiasm waned also?

Short answer: if it's on for €15 or less, I'll still buy it day one unless early reviews tell me to GTFO.

Longer answer: yeah I would've preferred it if it had come out in the summer of 2017 like we thought back then, and it definitely will hurt their sales that they didn't get the game ready for that time window, but I liked Retro City Rampage, I really appreciate good 16-bit graphics and music, and it overall still seems like a game I would really enjoy. I've got much more of a backlog these days but I'm working on them, in big part thanks to the backlog event from @Paleblood, and I'll be able to drop everything for a game that I'm really interested in, which for better or worse, Shakedown Hawaii still is. If it's not for the next few months that they release, odds are even bigger that I'll get it right away if my backlog keeps on shrinking like it is doing now, especially since it'll probably be a game I can finish in under ten hours. I like these "three evenings and done" games, as they make for a quick lessening of my backlog.

Edited by Kassandra
typos

2 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

any of you all play Into the Breach?  Thinking about grabbing it but would like to hear from some of you if you can.  

It's probably in the thread somewhere so maybe I'll just look for that. 

I don't recall anyone talking about it. I considered it but the reviews I read made it sound more frustrating than enjoyable for me. 

I just started playing Starlink today. I didn't bother connecting the grip, and I instead played with the Pro Controller. I picked Fox and the Arwing (of course) but the game unlocked the starter character and his ship digitally. I guess I need to connect the grip eventually to unlock the Razor pilot I got as a preorder bonus. I was impressed by the build quality of the Arwing, and the fact that its vertical flaps can open and close. The game itself is a lot of fun. I played up through the 3rd or 4th story mission, as far as I can tell. I haven't quite figured out the progression system yet (e.g. being able to view progress in the story). Anyway, I just arrived at the second planet that the game points you to. 

• Like 1

I finally modded my Wii U to play back ups, and to boot into Nintendont in actual Wii U mode (with gamepad support) rather than vWii mode.

I mention this, primarily, because of the latter. GAWD, playing Game Cube games on that gamepad with the actual buttons and everything is fantastic. The visuals REALLY pop on a screen that small. I played an hour or so of Hit and Run in bed last night and it honestly looked like a mid-gen PS3 kinda game, and that's just with the built-in native playback, no emulation or upscaling, an upscaled Game Cube emulator for Switch with that 6.2inch 720p screen (I believe the Wii U's tab was 480 or so, could be wrong), it'd be fantastic. I know, I know, we've all been saying that for nearly TWO YEARS NOW (get on it, Nintendo), but I've seen the next best thing, and it's even better than I dared hope. On the one hand, I cannot wait for Game Cube to inevitably come to Switch, but on the other, I'm gonna be devastated when I remember Tony Hawk 3, Spider-Man 2, and so on don't ever come to the Switch. 

Anyway, we all want Game Cube on Switch, I know I'm not saying anything new.

What I'm mostly here to say, is if you, like me, want some sixth gen action on a miniature screen you can play in bed or on the toilet, well, and I've not said it in a good few years honestly, but, GO BUY A WII U. You can find them for a hundred or so here (preowned) even still, jump in before they become ludicrously overpriced (which, to be fair, may not actually happen, but who knows), modding the thing is super easy, barely an inconvenience (reference.jpg), and now that you can play Game Cube titles on the actual gamepad as of a year or so back, fuck it, stop waiting for Nintendo to bring Game Cube to Switch. Just take a hundred bucks that you would have spent on Game Cube games, and just buy a damn Wii U and play any and every Game Cube game on the tele or on a tablet (plus Wii, Wii U, and most earlier stuff, obviously). 

Bring on that feckin' November Direct.