Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

44 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I think you're probably right about GameCube games being first, but wasn't the whole point of Skyward Sword using the Wiimote to swing the sword? I didn't play it but every review mentions it. I know the Joycon can do the swinging motion, but the other controls would be very different. Super Mario 3D World would be much easier to change though, since its primary control method was the Wii U Gamepad. It supported the Wiimote too, but that functionality could be more easily recreated since it was fairly basic. 

Change sword swing to a button, problem solved. Link's Crossbow Training would translate much harder.

I just made sure there will be a Messenger Bag waiting for me come launch :)

673376_scr3_a.png

I am still in doubt about the Pro controller (trying to get my hands on both it and a regular controller in the store come launch to see if it's much of an improvement) but I know for sure that I will want to take it with me from time to time, on holidays for instance.

P.S. @MosesRockefeller if calling FYE or camping is not your cup of tea, I just hear that the Switch isn't sold out (yet) in the UK, with sites like Amazon and Toys'R'Us still promising a Switch at launch.

P.P.S. That messenger back is actually bringing back some memories from my SNES days... Didn't take the SNES with me but I did have a game case.

super-nintendo-snes-donkey-kong-gamecase

Edited by BillyHorrible

The messenger bag and DK game case reminded me of how they packaged rentable NES consoles into carrying bags/cases in the 80s and 90s. My dad used to rent me a NES and a game of my choice from a kiosk for the weekend quite often when I didn't have my own NES yet. Brings back great memories. :3

I remember lugging my gaming PC once in college, around 1999 or 2000, to a LAN party. That was my first and last LAN party. :P

This was before the days of desktop carrying cases/straps/backpacks, and certainly before the days of gaming laptops. Fun times. 

My grandfather also had one of these, which was actually "portable" with that handle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_SX-64 Sadly I didn't inherit it from him, he probably sold it. 

Also, Billy, I checked the Amazon link and sadly they won't ship the Switch to the US. It might be a blanket Nintendo brand policy since this is their first region-free system in a while, or maybe it's just a trade thing. I know they don't have restrictions on most things though, I actually use Amazon.co.uk fairly frequently to get Blu-rays and DVDs that are almost always cheaper on "your side of the pond" (*cough* Dr Who)... in many cases UK TV shows never release here to begin with. I have the complete series of Some Mothers Do Ave Em, for example. The wife and I love vintage comedy, what can I say. :) 

Well, the one important thing to be taken from that guy who already got his Switch, is that your purchases will be tied to your Nintendo account and you can redownload anything.

To the best of my own knowledge, if I would rebuy a 3DS now there's no way to get back the games I downloaded on my previous one.

eshop-switch-note.jpg

Edit: Well, that's not completely true. Another important thing to take from the video is that I can use Bowser as my icon.

lucky-fan-gets-nintendo-switch-early-and

Also, even without looking at the other options there's already more fun stuff to choose from than on PlayStation (still think it's weird that PS4 doesn't have a better selection than PS3). Also, apparently Metroid's not dead yet.

Edited by BillyHorrible

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well, the one important thing to be taken from that guy who already got his Switch, is that your purchases will be tied to your Nintendo account and you can redownload anything.

To the best of my own knowledge, if I would rebuy a 3DS now there's no way to get back the games I downloaded on my previous one.

eshop-switch-note.jpg

Edit: Well, that's not completely true. Another important thing to take from the video is that I can use Bowser as my icon.

lucky-fan-gets-nintendo-switch-early-and

Also, even without looking at the other options there's already more fun stuff to choose from than on PlayStation (still think it's weird that PS4 doesn't have a better selection than PS3). Also, apparently Metroid's not dead yet.

Image result for why cant metroid crawl

Please Nintendo, we need a proper Metroid game for the Switch. Also Super Metroid on the Virtual Console, I'll even pay for it again. 

The Switch UI looks pretty slick, actually, it looks much better than the Wii U. 

Parker

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Parker said:

Image result for why cant metroid crawl

Please Nintendo, we need a proper Metroid game for the Switch. Also Super Metroid on the Virtual Console, I'll even pay for it again. 

The Switch UI looks pretty slick, actually, it looks much better than the Wii U. 

Parker

I would be happy if we could just get a Metroid announcement at this point.

59 minutes ago, Parker said:

39 minutes ago, hugglebunn-e said:

I would be happy if we could just get a Metroid announcement at this point.

Well, Retro Studios has been working on something since Tropical Freeze but we still don't know what it is. Odds could be that it's a new Metroid game.

34 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Nah, Metroid Prime was awesome, another 3D Metroid is where it's at :)

Metroid Prime was indeed awesome (I haven't played the sequels yet), but 2D Metroid is awesome-r! 

Honestly I'd be happy with a new full-blown Metroid whether 2D or 3D. But I think I'd prefer a 2D one just a little bit more. I'd love something in the vein of Super Metroid, Zero Mission, or Fusion. 

I played Super Metroid for the first time on Wii U and I'd play it again on Switch... although I think I also have it on my New 3DS XL. 

This coming from a Metroid fan who gave up in Metroid 2, and vastly prefers Zero Mission to Metroid 1. Just so we know where I stand. :P

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Nah, Metroid Prime was awesome, another 3D Metroid is where it's at :)

Image result for why not both?

I would love to have another 2D game like Fusion or Zero Mission (and I think they work perfectly on a handheld) but another 3D Prime game would be amazing as well. I really hope GameCube games come to the Switch VC and we get the Prime Trilogy as well. Metroid and F-Zero Nintendo, come on!

Parker

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Metroid Prime was indeed awesome (I haven't played the sequels yet), but 2D Metroid is awesome-r! 

Honestly I'd be happy with a new full-blown Metroid whether 2D or 3D. But I think I'd prefer a 2D one just a little bit more. I'd love something in the vein of Super Metroid, Zero Mission, or Fusion. 

I played Super Metroid for the first time on Wii U and I'd play it again on Switch... although I think I also have it on my New 3DS XL. 

This coming from a Metroid fan who gave up in Metroid 2, and vastly prefers Zero Mission to Metroid 1. Just so we know where I stand. :P

12 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

How about a new 3D and 2D metroid. Considering it got no love whatsoever on its 30th anniversary

9 hours ago, Parker said:

Image result for why not both?

I would love to have another 2D game like Fusion or Zero Mission (and I think they work perfectly on a handheld) but another 3D Prime game would be amazing as well. I really hope GameCube games come to the Switch VC and we get the Prime Trilogy as well. Metroid and F-Zero Nintendo, come on!

Sorry all but I just think that Retro Studios can do a better job at making a new 3D Metroid that feels like a worthy Metroid Prime successor than any studio can make a new 2D Metroid that will feel like a worthy Super Metroid successor.

Quality 2D and 3D Zelda have co-existed peacefully for ages. I just don't see the same thing happening for Metroid (and don't get me started on Mario's"New" series, though Yoshi's Island/World series keeps it up quite nicely and I REALLY want Woolly World on the Switch). I just think 3D Metroid's where it's at and an attempt at a new 2D Metroid would most likely feel like empty pandering.

Naturally, I agree with Parker on the VC additions (though let's remember that Prime 3 was not a GC game, but if that gets ported then I'm hoping for Skyward Sword as well). Getting Prime would just be an extra for me though, the main reason I want GC games is for Eternal Darkness. I need more Lovecraftian lore, been waiting on that Call Of Cthulhu game for eons and it's still not even close to being finished...

12 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Sorry all but I just think that Retro Studios can do a better job at making a new 3D Metroid that feels like a worthy Metroid Prime successor than any studio can make a new 2D Metroid that will feel like a worthy Super Metroid successor.

Quality 2D and 3D Zelda have co-existed peacefully for ages. I just don't see the same thing happening for Metroid (and don't get me started on Mario's"New" series, though Yoshi's Island/World series keeps it up quite nicely and I REALLY want Woolly World on the Switch). I just think 3D Metroid's where it's at and an attempt at a new 2D Metroid would most likely feel like empty pandering.

Naturally, I agree with Parker on the VC additions (though let's remember that Prime 3 was not a GC game, but if that gets ported then I'm hoping for Skyward Sword as well). Getting Prime would just be an extra for me though, the main reason I want GC games is for Eternal Darkness. I need more Lovecraftian lore, been waiting on that Call Of Cthulhu game for eons and it's still not even close to being finished...

Have you played Fusion or Zero Mission? I would put them right up there with Super Metroid, and I absolutely adore Super Metroid. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see another 3D game (let's forget about Other M, even though it wasn't terrible) and the Prime trilogy is fucking brilliant, but the 2D games released lately have been fantastic as well. Maybe Prime: Federation Force is staying a 3DS series and we'll get a proper Prime title on the Switch. 

I think I'm more excited for VC titles on the Switch than I am actual Switch games at the moment. :lol:

Parker

1 hour ago, Parker said:

Have you played Fusion or Zero Mission? I would put them right up there with Super Metroid, and I absolutely adore Super Metroid. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see another 3D game (let's forget about Other M, even though it wasn't terrible) and the Prime trilogy is fucking brilliant, but the 2D games released lately have been fantastic as well. Maybe Prime: Federation Force is staying a 3DS series and we'll get a proper Prime title on the Switch. 

I think I'm more excited for VC titles on the Switch than I am actual Switch games at the moment. :lol:

I have played neither but I feel like Zero Mission doesn't count in this argument since it's just the first game remade with the second game's gameplay. And Federation Force doesn't seem like a proper Metroid title to me.

I'm excited for VC titles as well though mostly because it's an unknown and because I miss my N64, that was the first and last console on which I did many four-player gaming days. I'm still mostly excited about a new Zelda and a new Mario though, it's why I'm getting the Switch at all. Now here's hoping on a good Retro Studios title, a full Pokémon game and a new F-Zero, and we're set to go.

41 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I have played neither but I feel like Zero Mission doesn't count in this argument since it's just the first game remade with the second game's gameplay. And Federation Force doesn't seem like a proper Metroid title to me.

I'm excited for VC titles as well though mostly because it's an unknown and because I miss my N64, that was the first and last console on which I did many four-player gaming days. I'm still mostly excited about a new Zelda and a new Mario though, it's why I'm getting the Switch at all. Now here's hoping on a good Retro Studios title, a full Pokémon game and a new F-Zero, and we're set to go.

The second game is the Game Boy iteration, which is pretty dated and rough. Super Metroid is the 3rd game. ;)

Anyway, Zero Mission is basically like Resident Evil Remake or Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes on Gamecube - it's such a vastly different game after the remake that it is its own thing. And you really should play both "new" 2D Metroid games, they're amazing. 

Federation Force is indeed not a proper Metroid title. 

Crime doesn't pay...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/early-nintendo-switch-systems-stolen-and-illegally/1100-6448011/

Glad those responsible have been caught. It's sad how many people try to take stuff that's not theirs to take. And yeah, it wasn't really believable that a retailer would already sell the Switch.

"Earlier this week, individuals claimed to prematurely purchase a small number of Nintendo Switch systems from an unspecified retailer. Nintendo has determined these units were stolen in an isolated incident by employees of a U.S. distributor, with one system being illegally resold. The individuals involved have been identified, terminated from their place of employment, and are under investigation by local law enforcement authorities on criminal charges."

"Nintendo Switch will launch worldwide on March 3, 2017, and we look forward to everyone being able to discover the wonders of the new system for themselves at that time."

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Crime doesn't pay...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/early-nintendo-switch-systems-stolen-and-illegally/1100-6448011/

Glad those responsible have been caught. It's sad how many people try to take stuff that's not theirs to take. And yeah, it wasn't really believable that a retailer would already sell the Switch.

Trash. Unfortunately, the thieves will likely spend less than a day in jail, people don't stay locked up long for things like this. 

Parker

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Switch = Vita 2 (at least when it comes to the game cards size). :P

You know, I had a Vita for two years and I have never held a Vita game card... I just got the thing for the PS+ games and PS4 play :)

Stuff like this makes me even more sure that the Switch is secretly a handheld console that can be connected to the television, instead of a television console that can become a handheld if need be. The latter is how it's being promoted, possibly to give the 3DS less of a final year vibe.