Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I know you weren't asking me but it took me about 4 hours to finish my playthrough, it's not a very long game. It's also quite simple, but has a lot of personality in its characters/dialog.

I'm not sure how long it'd take for all trophies/achievements.

Awesome dude. I'll give it a download some time soon then.

Sounds dumb, a game being short being it's selling point to me, I know.

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy I always take a look at howlongtobeat before I start something, it says four hours just like @Dreakon13. I think it will take me a bit longer though because I'm always waiting for conversations to end before moving on. Haven't taken a look at the trophy list but howlongtobeat says a completionist playthrough costs 14 hours, which probably consists of getting all trophies and doing several playthroughs for all endings.

I am looking for smaller games too, at the moment. I'm busy on Assassin's Creed Origins, Skyrim, Elite Dangerous, Yooka-Laylee... I really don't want to add another big game to that list.

2 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy I always take a look at howlongtobeat before I start something, it says four hours just like @Dreakon13. I think it will take me a bit longer though because I'm always waiting for conversations to end before moving on. Haven't taken a look at the trophy list but howlongtobeat says a completionist playthrough costs 14 hours, which probably consists of getting all trophies and doing several playthroughs for all endings.

I am looking for smaller games too, at the moment. I'm busy on Assassin's Creed Origins, Skyrim, Elite Dangerous, Yooka-Laylee... I really don't want to add another big game to that list.

Nice. I often hit up HLTB but tbh I had no real interest in the game so I never looked, it was on Gold one month but I knew nothing about it and moved on.

I feel that. One of the reasons I'm keen as a bean for the AC Chronicles India being on this month's Gold list. The first one was a blast, felt like some old school Prince of Persia at times, and the 3/4 hour runtime tops is fine with me. Can't even feel ripped off if you bought it though, like, the trilogy of them, so around 15 hours or so to just finish the lot) on disc goes for about 20 bucks anyway. That's good enough for me. I'd love if PS+ dropped the third and final chapter some time (GWG also got China last year) so I can be justified in the amount of times I almost bought the thing on disc but never did.

14 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Yeah, using the Xbox One controller or Dual Shock 4 wired wouldn't be too helpful since I hook my laptop up to the living room TV when I play games and the cables aren't long enough to reach my couch (and playing at my desk is uncomfortable IMO).  And my laptop doesn't have bluetooth bluetooth built in and I don't have a dongle.  Plus the Xbox 360 pad is one of the gamepads on PC with the best compatibility... the rest have their share of issues, even if they seemingly shouldn't with either native or third party xinput support.

That's dumb about compatibility... I thought the days of "PC gaming is too wonky" were over. 

For what it's worth, my brother (who is a PC-only gamer) swears by the Wii U Pro Controller. I have that but never tried it on the PC. It might be wired only though. As you noted, controller cables are often too short, but I've had a great experience with both USB extension cables (e.g. the Amazon Basics brand on Amazon) and substituting longer USB cables. I never had a X360 controller but I've heard the D-pad is bad. 

Finished the main story of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 today. Took me only 182 hours. Such a great game! Now I'm completing side quests I hadn't finished and probably going to try to get more rare blades. Murdered the huge tyrannosaurus too that had molested me when I was lower level. Reveennge!

• Like 1

Someone sent me a link to the eShop webpage asking me if I had any experience with any of the games in the under 10 buck section. They didn't know it was the US page.

I didn't know how much you guys got that we don't. You assholes got Space Dave on the 25th but didn't tell me about it!?!?!?!?!!!!?!? Damn it, Trump.

On 24/01/2018 at 2:05 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

My best platformer of the last decade would be tough to choose. Maybe Guacamelee. I love that game so much I beat it twice with 100% completion. And I'd probably do it again if it comes to the Switch.

I played a few hours of Guacamelee and I wouldn't call it a platformer. Yes, platforming is part of the gameplay, but that's true for about any MetroidVania game, which Guacamelee definitely is. Guacamelee is also heavy on new powers that open up paths and a lot of combat, which platformers aren't really about.

Fun game though. I thought the 'cursed' bit was hilarious.

13 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Finished the main story of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 today. Took me only 182 hours. Such a great game! Now I'm completing side quests I hadn't finished and probably going to try to get more rare blades. Murdered the huge tyrannosaurus too that had molested me when I was lower level. Reveennge!

180+ hours on one game, fuck me... I don't think I've played any single game that much, except maybe Mario Kart 64.

21 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That's dumb about compatibility... I thought the days of "PC gaming is too wonky" were over.

It's a bit confusing to me, since I would imagine the Xbox 360 controller and Xbox One to operate on the same drivers, firmware and input configurations (they're both native xinput)... yet I have games like the PC port of Final Fantasy IX and Splinter Cell Conviction that barely work with the wireless Xbox One pad.  And both work fine with the Xbox 360 pad.  I think Microsoft got a little greedy with the Xbox One pad and tied it a bit too closely to the Windows 10 App Store (since you need all kinds of Xbox accessories apps to properly recognize and update its drivers/firmware; I nearly bricked one of my Xbox One pads from a botched App Store controller update)... and it doesn't help the Xbox One wireless adapter is trash.  I've replaced it twice now and they've all broken on me within a month or two.

3 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

I played a few hours of Guacamelee and I wouldn't call it a platformer. Yes, platforming is part of the gameplay, but that's true for about any MetroidVania game, which Guacamelee definitely is. Guacamelee is also heavy on new powers that open up paths and a lot of combat, which platformers aren't really about.

Fun game though. I thought the 'cursed' bit was hilarious.

Not to butt my head into the conversation, but I'd certainly consider Metroidvania games to be platformers IMO.  I'd call it subgenre of it, at least.  In the same sense that action oriented survival horror titles like The Evil Within and the psychological hide-and-seek horror games like Outlast and Alien: Isolation both fall into the greater "horror" genre.

Enough to include Metroidvania's in the broad conversation of "best platformers of the last decade" anyways.  My personal pick would probably be Hollow Knight. :)  I wish they'd just release it on the Switch already.  I'm itching for another go at it.

Edited by Dreakon13

13 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Not to butt my head into the conversation, but I'd certainly consider Metroidvania games to be platformers IMO.  I'd call it subgenre of it, at least.  In the same sense that action oriented survival horror titles like The Evil Within and the psychological hide-and-seek horror games like Outlast and Alien: Isolation both fall into the greater "horror" genre.

Enough to include Metroidvania's in the broad conversation of "best platformers of the last decade" anyways.  My personal pick would probably be Hollow Knight. :)  I wish they'd just release it on the Switch already.  I'm itching for another go at it

Well, agreed, MetroidVania is a subtype of platformers with often more emphasis on combat. I was kinda looking for pure platformers though. But, point taken.

Hollow Knight is definitely in scope for me, haven't played it yet.

20 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

It's a bit confusing to me, since I would imagine the Xbox 360 controller and Xbox One to operate on the same drivers, firmware and input configurations (they're both native xinput)... yet I have games like the PC port of Final Fantasy IX and Splinter Cell Conviction that barely work with the wireless Xbox One pad.  And both work fine with the Xbox 360 pad.  I think Microsoft got a little greedy with the Xbox One pad and tied it a bit too closely to the Windows 10 App Store (since you need all kinds of Xbox accessories apps to properly recognize and update its drivers/firmware; I nearly bricked one of my Xbox One pads from a botched App Store controller update)... and it doesn't help the Xbox One wireless adapter is trash.  I've replaced it twice now and they've all broken on me within a month or two.

It's weird because I see articles all the time that talk about some console controller that works on PC. I just saw one about the Joy-cons in fact (connecting via Bluetooth, which you mentioned you didn't have). But NONE of those articles ever mention compatibility issues. I guess that can be chalked up to the recent trend of poor journalism that Simple Rick and I were complaining about earlier.

20 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Enough to include Metroidvania's in the broad conversation of "best platformers of the last decade" anyways.  My personal pick would probably be Hollow Knight. :)  I wish they'd just release it on the Switch already.  I'm itching for another go at it.

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Metroidvania games aren't "pure" platformers, but how do you define the genre? Super Mario 64 (or maybe an earlier game) started the trend of platformers being collect-a-thons. Most of the recent Mario games, certainly Galaxy and Odyssey, only unlock some of the collectibles after defeating the final boss. In my mind that is similar to the way Metroidvania games require you to backtrack only after getting certain upgrades. It's not even a one-time unlock in Mario games, since from the beginning of the game, they lock worlds/planets behind a gateway that requires a specific amount of collectibles. That's even closer to the Metroidvania unlock pattern.

I agree that pure or standard platformers don't typically have much combat or at least focus on them. Many Mario levels can be completed without defeating a single enemy.

Anyway, I think that Metroidvania games qualify as a variation of platformers. As you play through Guacamelee, you'll see that there are a lot of areas that test platforming skills. So I think it counts. I think that while it is clearly a homage to Metroid, it's different from say Axiom Verge. I wouldn't call that a platformer game, but Guacamelee definitely is in my opinion.

14 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I didn't know how much you guys got that we don't. You assholes got Space Dave on the 25th but didn't tell me about it!?!?!?!?!!!!?!? Damn it, Trump.

I did see that Space Dave came out, but it was not and is not on my radar. Sorry. I played Woah Dave for about 30 minutes and couldn't delete it fast enough, so I had no interest in a spiritual successor.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

48 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

It's weird because I see articles all the time that talk about some console controller that works on PC. I just saw one about the Joy-cons in fact (connecting via Bluetooth, which you mentioned you didn't have). But NONE of those articles ever mention compatibility issues. I guess that can be chalked up to the recent trend of poor journalism that Simple Rick and I were complaining about earlier.

I think the bar for "controller support" is significantly lower on PC.  As long as some combination of installing drivers, third party software, manual file tweaks, mods and hooking the controller up to the PC (wired or otherwise) makes a game playable... it's considered good enough.  I could get Final Fantasy IX working with the Xbox One pad if I turned the controller on at the exact right moment between booting the game and getting to the main menu. :)

48 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Anyway, I think that Metroidvania games qualify as a variation of platformers. As you play through Guacamelee, you'll see that there are a lot of areas that test platforming skills. So I think it counts. I think that while it is clearly a homage to Metroid, it's different from say Axiom Verge. I wouldn't call that a platformer game, but Guacamelee definitely is in my opinion.

Maybe my definition is a little more lax than others, since I really felt like there was enough platforming in Axiom Verge to put it in that category.  Metroidvania's are inherently platformers IMO.  If there isn't platforming involved... it's probably not a Metroidvania, or some even looser interpretation of it.

I need to play through Guacamelee though.  It's probably the one well-reputed modern Metroidvania that I haven't really played yet (only played it for 30 minutes or so on PC a while ago).  I just find the goofy, luchador theme a little off-putting. xD  Prefer the more serious, atmospheric tone of Axiom Verge or Hollow Knight.

Edited by Dreakon13

56 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I think the bar for "controller support" is significantly lower on PC.  As long as some combination of installing drivers, third party software, manual file tweaks, mods and hooking the controller up to the PC (wired or otherwise) makes a game playable... it's considered good enough.  I could get Final Fantasy IX working with the Xbox One pad if I turned the controller on at the exact right moment between booting the game and getting to the main menu. :)

It's not a bug, it's a feature! Funny thing is, 10 years ago I actually liked all that do-it-yourself stuff in the PC world. I didn't just buy an Alienware and call it a day, I liked upgrading RAM and video cards (I never got into watercooling though - that was a bridge too far for me). I guess I still remembered the days of modifying Autoexec.bat and Config.sys to customize for games that needed a lot of Extended Memory versus games that needed a lot of Expanded Memory. PC gaming has come a long way since the DOS days, but there's still that element of customization that is a benefit or a drawback, depending on who you ask.

Anyway, now that stuff feels totally alien to me. As I get older, convenience became the most important thing, which would no doubt shock my younger self.

56 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Maybe my definition is a little more lax than others, since I really felt like there was enough platforming in Axiom Verge to put it in that category.  Metroidvania's are inherently platformers IMO.  If there isn't platforming involved... it's probably not a Metroidvania, or some even looser interpretation of it.

I need to play through Guacamelee though.  It's probably the one well-reputed modern Metroidvania that I haven't really played yet (only played it for 30 minutes or so on PC a while ago).  I just find the goofy, luchador theme a little off-putting. xD  Prefer the more serious, atmospheric tone of Axiom Verge or Hollow Knight.

I think Metroid and Axiom Verge qualify as platformers in the broadest sense, but Guacamelee is a bit unique. It has many platforming areas where you can fall to your death, just like Mario. Metroid and Axiom Verge use the platforming more to get into position to fight enemies.

It all comes down to semantics in the end. There is a very fine line between Metroid Prime and first person shooters that have you jumping around a lot but aren't actually platformers.

Anyway, I highly recommend Guacamelee. If you can appreciate the humorous tone, you'll find a game with a lot of atmosphere. There is some pretty dark stuff in the plot, but it is balanced out with a lot of humor.

Also, Hollow Knight and Owlboy are day-one buys for me on Switch. I guess Owlboy is probably coming first since it is 2 weeks away. Hollow Knight doesn't have a release date as far as I can see.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I especially hate express.co.uk with its "Nintendo Switch news SHOCK" way of writing headines and blurbs. Ugh.

Also, asshole sites that refresh their articles so they keep popping up in "within the last 24 hours" searches even though they're not useful at all.

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Metroidvania games aren't "pure" platformers, but how do you define the genre? Super Mario 64 (or maybe an earlier game) started the trend of platformers being collect-a-thons. Most of the recent Mario games, certainly Galaxy and Odyssey, only unlock some of the collectibles after defeating the final boss. In my mind that is similar to the way Metroidvania games require you to backtrack only after getting certain upgrades. It's not even a one-time unlock in Mario games, since from the beginning of the game, they lock worlds/planets behind a gateway that requires a specific amount of collectibles. That's even closer to the Metroidvania unlock pattern.

I agree that pure or standard platformers don't typically have much combat or at least focus on them. Many Mario levels can be completed without defeating a single enemy.

Here is where it gets confusing for me because I'd say that Guacamelee has much more in common with Axiom Verge than with a pure platformer. A lot of Guacamelee's platforming also is about using your combat upgrades in different ways.

Mario 64 wasn't essential to the rise of the collect-a-thon. Donkey Kong 64 is what really kicked the subgenre into gear, yet before the 64, on the SNES, Donkey Kong Country already had more collect-a-thon tendencies than Mario 64. For DKC completion, you needed all levels, with every single bonus room visited, as well as coins and so on in 2 and 3. Mario 64 was generous in that regard, you just needed to complete all "missions" (stars). Donkey Kong 64 had big bananas, small bananas, coins, fairies, blueprints...

I did see that Space Dave came out, but it was not and is not on my radar. Sorry. I played Woah Dave for about 30 minutes and couldn't delete it fast enough, so I had no interest in a spiritual successor.

Ugh, Woah Dave.

33 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

I especially hate express.co.uk with its "Nintendo Switch news SHOCK" way of writing headines and blurbs. Ugh.

Also, asshole sites that refresh their articles so they keep popping up in "within the last 24 hours" searches even though they're not useful at all.

"THIS JUST IN! Big SHOCK as Nintendo Switch adds new game that isn't Mario or Zelda!" :P

Yeah, those articles drive me crazy too. Those refreshed ones have caught me more than once, especially the ones that talk about a release date for an upcoming game. Then I click on it and it is the same article I read 2 months ago, where the release date is "MIGHT come out in 2018!"

36 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

Here is where it gets confusing for me because I'd say that Guacamelee has much more in common with Axiom Verge than with a pure platformer. A lot of Guacamelee's platforming also is about using your combat upgrades in different ways.

Mario 64 wasn't essential to the rise of the collect-a-thon. Donkey Kong 64 is what really kicked the subgenre into gear, yet before the 64, on the SNES, Donkey Kong Country already had more collect-a-thon tendencies than Mario 64. For DKC completion, you needed all levels, with every single bonus room visited, as well as coins and so on in 2 and 3. Mario 64 was generous in that regard, you just needed to complete all "missions" (stars). Donkey Kong 64 had big bananas, small bananas, coins, fairies, blueprints...

So the one thing the 3 of us can agree on, is that we have different "head canon" ideas of what games are platformers.

Also, while I bow to your superior knowledge of DK games (I suspected that SM64 was not in fact the start of the collect-a-thon, which is why I left my comment uncertain), I wasn't talking about 100% completion, I was referring to the way that SM64 diverged from the 2D Marios that came before it, in opening up new areas differently. In SMB3 and SMW you had to either use warp whistles or whatever to bypass areas, or you had to finish a level to unlock the next. It may have not happened until SMG, but in the Mario games you can skip some of the levels and still finish the story, if you're having trouble. That feels closer to the Metroidvania formula. That's what I was getting at.

Anyway, back on the Switch... I remember you talking pre-DirectMini about a big Switch release for January. I guess that didn't happen. But next month we have Bayonetta 1+2, Owlboy, Fe, Dragon Quest Builders, and more. Bayonetta is obviously the big release, but it looks like a month that will probably hit my wallet hard.

8 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

"THIS JUST IN! Big SHOCK as Nintendo Switch adds new game that isn't Mario or Zelda!" :P

Yeah, those articles drive me crazy too. Those refreshed ones have caught me more than once, especially the ones that talk about a release date for an upcoming game. Then I click on it and it is the same article I read 2 months ago, where the release date is "MIGHT come out in 2018!"

The rage of these past few days is apparently articles on Metroid Prime 4 called something like "Metroid Prime 4: trailer, release date, and more". I'll save you the trouble of looking: no actual new info since the E3 Direct name drop.

Also, while I bow to your superior knowledge of DK games (I suspected that SM64 was not in fact the start of the collect-a-thon, which is why I left my comment uncertain), I wasn't talking about 100% completion, I was referring to the way that SM64 diverged from the 2D Marios that came before it, in opening up new areas differently. In SMB3 and SMW you had to either use warp whistles or whatever to bypass areas, or you had to finish a level to unlock the next. It may have not happened until SMG, but in the Mario games you can skip some of the levels and still finish the story, if you're having trouble. That feels closer to the Metroidvania formula. That's what I was getting at.

... Wait, how is you talking about collect-a-thons, not about 100% completion from collectables? You said 64 started the trend on platformers becoming collect-a-thons, which specifically is about collecting stuff. Yeah, okay, Super Mario 64 tied opening levels to a collectable count, but that's not the main point of a collect-a-thon.

Anyway, back on the Switch... I remember you talking pre-DirectMini about a big Switch release for January. I guess that didn't happen. But next month we have Bayonetta 1+2, Owlboy, Fe, Dragon Quest Builders, and more. Bayonetta is obviously the big release, but it looks like a month that will probably hit my wallet hard.

Yeah, Nintendo talked about having one big release each month but I'm guessing January is a lull month to give people time to recover from the holiday shoppings.

I'm betting on either this week Wednesday/Thursday, or next week Wednesday/Thursday for a big Direct to fill us in on the remaining months in the next half year, as we're 18 days past the Mini and all Minis have been followed by a big Direct within 20 days - granted we've only had just over ten Minis, so that 20 might not be a set thing from Nintendo (maybe they're going with 21 max, or one month max) but there's good reason to believe we're not far away from a big Direct.

... Wait, how is you talking about collect-a-thons, not about 100% completion from collectables? You said 64 started the trend on platformers becoming collect-a-thons, which specifically is about collecting stuff. Yeah, okay, Super Mario 64 tied opening levels to a collectable count, but that's not the main point of a collect-a-thon.

I think my point is slipping away from me, and was probably tenuous from the beginning. I only mentioned collect-a-thons, not in their full point at being a way to squeeze more play out of a game with 100% completion, BUT as a very rough comparison to Metroidvanias. I wasn't talking about the collection part of collect-a-thons except in relation to the stars in SM64 and later games. I probably shouldn't have mentioned the term "collect-a-thon" at all, but rather mentioned the non-linear nature of the 3D Mario games.

Maybe this is a better summary. SM64 and later Mario games made level progression non-linear. This was a new twist on the Mario platformer. Let's use my recent completion of the story in Super Mario Galaxy as an example, since it's fresh in my mind. Talking about SM64 would probably be full of incorrect memories for me. Anyway, the final Bowser level in SMG needs 60 stars to unlock. But the final Grand Star level with Bowser Jr only requires 40 stars to unlock. What this means is, when I would struggle on a level, I was able to skip it and still finish the story. For example, I skipped most of the "comet" levels and did other levels instead. I can't easily find the actual count without checking my savegame, but I mostly focused on doing the 3 initial stars for each 3+ star galaxy (i.e. not the 1-star galaxies), and I ended up unlocking the final Bowser level before even unlocking the area with the final Bowser Jr boss fight galaxy. But I ended up getting 15 more stars because I wanted to see that new area and do the last Bowser Jr boss fight. Anyway, if someone were doing a completionist run, the final level can probably be unlocked even earlier.

My point with all this is, you can skip quite a bit of the game and still do the final boss fight. In my mind, that is similar to Metroidvanias, which almost always feature sequence breaking and skippable areas. It's a hallmark of the genre; Axiom Verge has a boss fight you can completely skip for example. Jumping around and unlocking different levels and worlds in 3D Mario games feels a bit like getting upgrades in a Metroidvania.

Maybe that's just me. Maybe I'm completely wrong. But that's the point I was trying to get at.

The rage of these past few days is apparently articles on Metroid Prime 4 called something like "Metroid Prime 4: trailer, release date, and more". I'll save you the trouble of looking: no actual new info since the E3 Direct name drop.

If it makes you fell better, it happens with non-Nintendo games also. Kingdom Hearts 3 is in the same boat. I kept seeing articles talking about release dates, and they're always very vague.

Anyway, one of my personal goals is to finish Metroid Prime 1 (the Wii version I already own) in the next month or two. Until then, I'm not paying too much attention to the Metroid Prime 4 hype. Once I finish MP1, I'll decided if I want to play MP2 and 3 (which are included in the Wii trilogy pack), or just skip ahead to MP4.

Yeah, Nintendo talked about having one big release each month but I'm guessing January is a lull month to give people time to recover from the holiday shoppings.

I'm betting on either this week Wednesday/Thursday, or next week Wednesday/Thursday for a big Direct to fill us in on the remaining months in the next half year, as we're 18 days past the Mini and all Minis have been followed by a big Direct within 20 days - granted we've only had just over ten Minis, so that 20 might not be a set thing from Nintendo (maybe they're going with 21 max, or one month max) but there's good reason to believe we're not far away from a big Direct.

I am looking forward to the next Direct, whether it's in the next few days, or not for another 3 months. I think sooner would be a smarter marketing move, but making predictions about Nintendo is a dangerous game to be in. :)

Anyway, I have lots of games to keep me busy at the moment, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't enjoy seeing a new Direct that will inevitably cause my backlog to grow...

Speaking of pure platformers, I beat Celeste this weekend.  Great game.  Takes a bit from the Super Meat Boy/The End Is Nigh school of difficulty (maybe not so bad but it was certainly tough at times, not even counting the extra stuff I probably won't do).  Graphics and music were pleasantly modern retro (if that makes sense lol).  Story was deeper than expected and surprisingly relateable for me... as it broached the subject of insecurities and a dash of mental illness.  Plus the writing was actually pretty funny at times, in a fun way, not necessarily in the disgusting/dark/vulgar way TEIN approached it.

Certainly one to consider for the platforming fans out there, who don't mind a challenge.

Just bought a Switch, I'm really liking it so far! Bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 the same day, and also Blaster Master Zero and Earth War (a game that I wanted for the PS4, which is named Earth Dawn on that console and is much more expensive *$30 PS4 Vs. $4.50 Switch*. Also bought a copy of  Breath of the Wild online and now I'm waiting for it. 

17 minutes ago, ElEyeman said:

Just bought a Switch, I'm really liking it so far! Bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 the same day, and also Blaster Master Zero and Earth War (a game that I wanted for the PS4, which is named Earth Dawn on that console and is much more expensive *$30 PS4 Vs. $4.50 Switch*. Also bought a copy of  Breath of the Wild online and now I'm waiting for it. 

Welcome to the club, and enjoy!

Do you expect to use the Switch as a home or handheld console?

10 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, it's a tiny little lazy one single level mini really really small arcadey kinda game not really worth anything more than a dollar tops.

But for some reason me and the missus got into it for a while and got proper competitive on it, still bust it out every now and then too. She got 400 coins on it though and popped the trophy for it, but the highest trophy I popped was 300 and I can't get 400. I got like 370 or so in the day but now I'll never break 400. F her.

Know what game I'd like to see at some point on the Switch? 

Ridge Racer, in some form.

I spent countless hours playing the demo for Ridge Racer 2 on PSP. Like, countless. I spent more time playing that demo than most people did the whole game. I had a 2gb card and no connection to the internet at home, but I found out about a handful of PSP demos you could download outside of the PSN and you know I downloaded the crap out of them from the local library / primary school whenever I could sneak my PSP in without a teacher seeing. It was just the same one race with the same one car but I kept replaying it over and over and over. The gameplay was so much fun, the crazy arcadey drift physics, it was awesome. 

I also played OutRun 2006's demo to death on one of the old PS2 demo discs, and only tonight did I put two and two together and realized that they're both actually quite similar in their gameplay and handling of cars. I was too late to the party to get the PS3 / 360 digital only OutRun Online Arcade which will forever piss me off, and my copy of OutRun 2006 is nice and all but it's one of the few games that don't work on my fat PS3 (Scarface is also a painful exclusion), and while I'd exponentially prefer a new OutRun title, that ship has sailed.

Ridge Racer still has a bit of hope left in it though. Hell, it was a launch title on more consoles than I can remember. 

I'm playing right now, Ridge Racer 3D, which I picked up for 4 bucks a couple years back and completely forgot about. Visually, it honestly looks about the same as Ridge Racer 2 on PSP from memory, and that shit is from 2005/2006, which is sad for the 3DS, but RR2 was a damn good looking game for it's time so it's not like it's ugly to look at by any means. ANYWAY, I'm playing RR3D, and outside of RR4 on PS1 and RR mobile on my old Nokia years back, it's the only RR game I've actually bought. I played that demo (and now that I'm thinking about it, I'm totally downloading that shit for my PSP when I'm done here) to death, I played a good chunk of RRDS on my R4 in the day, but otherwise I've not really had any experience with the series. And when you factor in I didn't really play RR4 for that long, basically my entire history with the series, is with it's portable entries. A phone game, a DS game, a PSP game, a 3DS game, and each one was quite enjoyable.

Ridge Racer always seems to look visually stunning, no matter the platform, even after saying RR3D looks like the 2006 PSP one, it's still one of the better looking 3DS games I've played. The arcadey controls are timeless in a way, there's no comparisons like when you go from GT 2 on PS1 to A-Spec on PS2. A Ridge Racer on Switch could be amazing honestly. So far in the way of racers we've got; Mario Kart 8, a cartoony kart racer. Fast RMX, a futuristic hover car racer. Over Top, a NEO GEO isometric arcado. And finally, Gear.Club Unlimited, a fun but flawed port of a mobile racer that's not sure if it wants to be a sim or an arcadey racer. So from there you've got a kart racer, hover cars, old school stuff, and an unsure port job. A new Ridge Racer popping into the mix, with a sense of confidence in what it wants to be, a balls to the wall arcade racer, on Switch right now, while there isn't a hundred games like Project Cars, The Crew, Need for Speed, Forza, DriveClub, etc. available for it, would be brilliant, and fill a surprisingly obvious void.

Anyway, that seems pretty unlikely to be honest, at least at the moment, the series seems to be taking a break, perhaps influenced by the aforementioned bevy of competent racers currently available on other platforms. But IF it WERE to appear on the Switch, right now, it would be unrivaled as far as I'm concerned. 

Either way, my renewed sense of adoration for the series, has made me hopeful that someday the Vita game might land on PS+, it's been heavily discounted before, it could happen. 

17 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

Well, of the top 30 downloaded games, I downloaded 11 (and bought another two retail).

Of the top nine, all I didn't buy was Minecraft and Rocket League.

I downloaded 7, and bought 5 retail. So 12 to your 13.

I selected all 12 for the poll, but should I have picked only the 7 I downloaded from the eShop and not also the 5 I bought retail? I was confused by the wording of the poll.

Now ask me how many of those 12 games I've played... stupid job and parenting getting in the way of gaming!