Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

On 2/21/2018 at 11:34 PM, Dreakon13 said:

I have plenty of games to play elsewhere (just finished up The Evil Within 2; cool game)... but I'm kinda in the mood to go back to the Switch.  Which means I'll probably give Zelda BotW another shot.

Part of me kinda wants to just start over in it, since it's been 6 months or so since I last played it and regardless of how far I was in it, or how easy/hard it'd be to get back into... it feels like the right thing to do.  That's kind of what bugs me about the game though.  It's too darn open world.  I honestly couldn't tell you where I am in my last save, how far I've gotten, what I've accomplished.  The "quests" or whatever, even the ones considered the main story, are incredibly open ended.  Other than the odd memorable puzzle in a shrine or something, it all kinda just blends together.  Maybe that's good for some people, but it definitely rubs me the wrong way.  Thankfully, the gameplay itself shines (weapon durability aside, ugh).  So maybe that'll carry me through this time.

I don't think I have more than 8-10 hours in it at this point (probably less if you only count time spent actually doing something and not just running around aimlessly)... so I don't think I'll lose anything worthwhile as I start over.

I don't have the time to reply right now, am quoting to remind me to post a proper response to this later. 10/10 agree with you though.

Edit: I am now home and have said time.

1. "It's too darn open world" Yup, the world is huge, open, and bland as all hell. I remember the little towns fine, but the treks between them are nothing but a green blurry haze.

2. "The "quests" or whatever, even the ones considered the main story, are incredibly open ended" Yup, I beat the main story finally and that was all I did. I did a few side quests but they were basically just fetch quests that didn't propel the story (what little there was of a story anyway) forward in any way so I lost interest real quick.

3. "Other than the odd memorable puzzle in a shrine or something, it all kinda just blends together" Preach brother.

4. "the gameplay itself shines" I agree, and despite saying that, the crazy Zelda fanbase always seems to wanna rip your head off if you have some genuine criticism with your praise, instead of just calling the game the second coming. It's not perfect. It's fun, but it's far from perfect.

I'd probably give it a 5 out of 10 or so, it's very bland, the open world is huge but dull, the story is basically pushed to the back and there's piss all to push back as it is, gameplay is fun though and traversal on it's own can keep you hooked for hours. 

Also, you might be 8 to 10 in, but I clocked the whole story in around 20 so potentially you could be halfway done if you were actually gunning the story.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

11 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Also, you might be 8 to 10 in, but I clocked the whole story in around 20 so potentially you could be halfway done if you were actually gunning the story.

I don't think I was gunning the story.  I'm not even sure how you "gun the story" in this game. xD

As I said, I haven't played it in a while, maybe I'm not remembering 100%... but I think the main quest I'm currently on just gives me a bunch of pictures of unfamiliar locations I need to go to with no particular guides or markers telling me where they are (unless I overlooked something).  Before I stopped playing the game altogether, I think I ran around for a couple hours and managed to find one of the places in the pictures... and there were still a dozen others or so.

Edited by Dreakon13

7 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

As I said, I haven't played it in a while, maybe I'm not remembering 100%... but I think the main quest I'm currently on just gives me a bunch of pictures of unfamiliar locations I need to go to with no particular guides or markers telling me where they are (unless I overlooked something).  Before I stopped playing the game altogether, I think I ran around for a couple hours and managed to find one of the places in the pictures... and there were still a dozen others or so.

That sounds like the lost memories quest are whatever it's called. It's sort of a side quest that's tied to the main story. You only have to get one of the memories I think. After beating the game I went back and got the rest of the memories, but I decided to use a map guide. I don't consider it fun to use pictures to hunt around looking for a location in a big open-world game. I ignored all but one of those picture puzzles in Super Mario Odyssey for the same reason. If these games are your life and you're not playing anything else, sure I can see the enjoyment in being totally immersed. For me, I was ready to move on to other games in my backlog. I loved both games but I didn't feel any desire to complete either one 100%.

Anyway, once you get your one required memory (which it sounds like you've done), you can ignore that quest and move on to the rest of the main quest.

As for myself, I have 3 missions left in LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 (plus all the side content and DLC - I like the game enough that I'll probably slowly chip away at 100% completion). After I finish that, I plan to go back to Mario+Rabbids and finish the story. I think I'm on the World 3 boss, and there are a total of 4 Worlds IIRC. So I'm fairly close to the end.

12 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That sounds like the lost memories quest are whatever it's called. It's sort of a side quest that's tied to the main story. You only have to get one of the memories I think. After beating the game I went back and got the rest of the memories, but I decided to use a map guide. I don't consider it fun to use pictures to hunt around looking for a location in a big open-world game. I ignored all but one of those picture puzzles in Super Mario Odyssey for the same reason. If these games are your life and you're not playing anything else, sure I can see the enjoyment in being totally immersed. For me, I was ready to move on to other games in my backlog. I loved both games but I didn't feel any desire to complete either one 100%.

Anyway, once you get your one required memory (which it sounds like you've done), you can ignore that quest and move on to the rest of the main quest.

Appreciate the info.  Now that I think about it, there may have been other, more main quest-y stuff going on after I got that one required memory.

EDIT: Not sure why I would've bailed on the game if the story was seemingly going places... but that was also a period of my (gaming) life where even the smallest and most accessible open world games made me sick to my stomach.  So maybe Zelda BotW wasn't too high on my priority list. xD  Still not a fan of open world games, but I'm almost sorta kinda in the mood for one these days.  Might be worth giving Zelda another shot.

Edited by Dreakon13

19 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Appreciate the info.  Now that I think about it, there may have been other, more main quest-y stuff going on after I got that one required memory.

EDIT: Not sure why I would've bailed on the game if the story was seemingly going places... but that was also a period of my (gaming) life where even the smallest and most accessible open world games made me sick to my stomach.  So maybe Zelda BotW wasn't too high on my priority list. xD  Still not a fan of open world games, but I'm almost sorta kinda in the mood for one these days.  Might be worth giving Zelda another shot.

I'm kind of on the fence. I like the concept of open world games, but I don't always like the implementation. I think too often, there are way too many collectibles and too little of interest in the world itself. The open world games that I've enjoyed the most, are somewhere in the middle, where the story is still very focused and the world complements it rather than feeling like the story could just be a linear thing without the open world. But I think it's a tricky balance, and many games don't get it right.

9 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm kind of on the fence. I like the concept of open world games, but I don't always like the implementation. I think too often, there are way too many collectibles and too little of interest in the world itself. The open world games that I've enjoyed the most, are somewhere in the middle, where the story is still very focused and the world complements it rather than feeling like the story could just be a linear thing without the open world. But I think it's a tricky balance, and many games don't get it right.

I don't think I've found a single open world game that "did it right"... just varying degrees of my mood in which to play them. xD

Even The Witcher makes me sick, and I think most people would say it does the open world/story balance thing perfectly.  GTA is about the only one I legitimately enjoy these days... but that may be because I like third person shooters more than RPG's.

EDIT: Just have no patience for the sheer amount of time-wasting that open world games tend to introduce.  Barely have the time/drive to finish a good 10 hour game... no less some 100 hour chore with little to no direction.

Edited by Dreakon13

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

EDIT: Just have no patience for the sheer amount of time-wasting that open world games tend to introduce.  Barely have the time/drive to finish a good 10 hour game... no less some 100 hour chore with little to no direction.

I hear you. I think even non-open world games these days like to add time-wasting content.

Do you enjoy any RPGs that aren't open world (you mentioned Witcher 3, which I haven't tried yet)? You could make the argument that grinding (which is sometimes necessary, especially in JRPGs) is time-wasting content, but it does serve the purpose of making boss fights easier, so it is a means to an end. At least it serves more in-game purpose than hunting down 900 Korok Seeds just because they're on a map.

For me, I find myself enjoying open world games more when I ignore as much time-wasting content as possible. Thankfully, most of them make that an option to some extent.

33 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I hear you. I think even non-open world games these days like to add time-wasting content.

Do you enjoy any RPGs that aren't open world (you mentioned Witcher 3, which I haven't tried yet)? You could make the argument that grinding (which is sometimes necessary, especially in JRPGs) is time-wasting content, but it does serve the purpose of making boss fights easier, so it is a means to an end. At least it serves more in-game purpose than hunting down 900 Korok Seeds just because they're on a map.

For me, I find myself enjoying open world games more when I ignore as much time-wasting content as possible. Thankfully, most of them make that an option to some extent.

I'm not a huge fan of the RPG genre, period.  RPG's tend to require more thought than I'm willing to give after a long day of work. xD

I liked Skyrim... which is funny because it's more open world than most games.  Probably says more about what a groundbreaking game it was at the time... and the fact I wasn't so jaded and tired of open world games at that point.  I liked the old, old Interplay Fallout games a lot way back when (didn't care for 3 or 4, New Vegas was fun though).  Loved Final Fantasy XV and some of the older ones (VII, VIII, etc).  I'm not sure there are many other RPG's I've played seriously.

Edited by Dreakon13

Just clocked Mario/Rabbids.

Wow, that game was great. I went into it thinking I wouldn't be too much of a fan, and holy hell was I wrong. Honest to gravy a legit contender for my favorite Mario game. Those stupid Rabbid things have been redeemed in my eyes, I mean, I'll never watch their show or care about them at all, but they were perfectly cool here. Now we just need the same game but with Rayman and co. in Mario's role and the Rabbid spin off cycle will be complete.

I spent most of my time playing it on lunch breaks and in transit, and as such, didn't play on the tele much. I played maybe half an hour on the TV with it last night and even though it already looks great portable, holy shit is this a nice, clean, gorgeous looking game. 

Here's hoping that because it's *technically* an Ubisoft game, it actually hits a reasonable price point somewhere down the line. Forking over at least 60 bucks for a game I've already beat just isn't worth it to me, but if it hits 20 or 30 odd sometime, I'll buy it in a heartbeat, and probably go back for the 100%, probably quit along the way, but still fun.

Holy shit the game was fun though. Cannot recommend enough. 

PS took me somewhere between 15 and 20 hours, as the Switch doesn't do individual hours after the first 5 for some reason. So it's reasonably lengthy, and I've just been gunning it to the end, had a fair few retries mind you, but I mean to say I've not (too often) gone out of my way for chests and I haven't even unlocked the 4 hidden levels found in each of the main worlds. So to say there's at least 20 hours of content for the average dude wouldn't be a stretch.

I've been playing my 3DS more than my Switch lately (basically 1:0), revisiting some of the virtual console games I've been missing. I'm getting really antsy for VC or a similar service to launch for Switch, even considering my love/hate relationship with the left Joycon's non-d-pad. I hope we don't have to wait too much longer, and I really hope it isn't just the single game a month thing for Nintendo Switch Online. Switch being region free will finally make whatever VC-alike launches a dream come true.

Edited by Zondares

On 2/24/2018 at 6:03 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Here's hoping that because it's *technically* an Ubisoft game, it actually hits a reasonable price point somewhere down the line. Forking over at least 60 bucks for a game I've already beat just isn't worth it to me, but if it hits 20 or 30 odd sometime, I'll buy it in a heartbeat, and probably go back for the 100%, probably quit along the way, but still fun.

It's on sale at GameStop for $40 USD now, and their sales are usually terrible. So I'd say there is hope that it eventually goes on a nice 50%+ discount. 

On 2/26/2018 at 11:25 AM, Joker said:

Get out of here Jim Sterling-son

1f602.png

Does that idiot like ANY games? I don't actually care, I'm not going to suddenly start watching some "famous" YouTube celebrity just because he loves one of my favorite games. It just seems like all the references I've seen to him lately have been him shitting on games. 

10 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Does that idiot like ANY games? I don't actually care, I'm not going to suddenly start watching some "famous" YouTube celebrity just because he loves one of my favorite games. It just seems like all the references I've seen to him lately have been him shitting on games. 

He hates gaming more than anyone. Still, he has some valid points regarding the industry sometimes. The main issue I have with him is that his whole channel is fueled by negativity. It's ok to be critical, it's ok to be sceptic, but I really have a distaste for someone who has not a single positive video about something. As far as I know of in the last year or so.

38 minutes ago, Joker said:

He hates gaming more than anyone. Still, he has some valid points regarding the industry sometimes. The main issue I have with him is that his whole channel is fueled by negativity. It's ok to be critical, it's ok to be sceptic, but I really have a distaste for someone who has not a single positive video about something. As far as I know of in the last year or so.

Someone who uses "focus on the negative" in a good way (in my opinion) is Zero Punctuation, which I still follow and which is very funny in my eyes. The idea behind his reviews is that you can hear praise for games from all the other reviewers, you go to Zero Punctuation to hear what's wrong with a title. Yahtzee (the ZP creator) has even said in multiple videos that whatever he doesn't mention in a video isn't flawed, and for a good title (like Batman Arkham Asylum) it's essentially nitpicking on a few tiny flaws in a game that's really great. I've even bought a few titles right after checking the ZP review and deciding that the mentioned flaws weren't dealbreakers in my eyes.

Now, as for Jim Sterling, who often is just negative without a hint of humour and who hates on stuff because "it's his character", I find myself having less and less patience to sit through one of his opinions. First video of him I saw, shared on PSNP with me, was about the Dark Souls series and how the "git gud" claims of the games being hard aren't really true. I thought this was a good video so I checked out more from him, but I quickly lost any interest in watching more.

In other news, Kirby in two weeks! Still not sure if I'm getting it day one, though if by then the gold coins can be used I'll probably use all my coins on Kirby, I've got a bunch that are valid until the last day of March and there's not many smaller titles on the Switch which I want but haven't bought yet.

35 minutes ago, Cool Rick said:

Someone who uses "focus on the negative" in a good way (in my opinion) is Zero Punctuation, which I still follow and which is very funny in my eyes. The idea behind his reviews is that you can hear praise for games from all the other reviewers, you go to Zero Punctuation to hear what's wrong with a title. Yahtzee (the ZP creator) has even said in multiple videos that whatever he doesn't mention in a video isn't flawed, and for a good title (like Batman Arkham Asylum) it's essentially nitpicking on a few tiny flaws in a game that's really great. I've even bought a few titles right after checking the ZP review and deciding that the mentioned flaws weren't dealbreakers in my eyes.

Now, as for Jim Sterling, who often is just negative without a hint of humour and who hates on stuff because "it's his character", I find myself having less and less patience to sit through one of his opinions. First video of him I saw, shared on PSNP with me, was about the Dark Souls series and how the "git gud" claims of the games being hard aren't really true. I thought this was a good video so I checked out more from him, but I quickly lost any interest in watching more.

Pretty much on point here.

As for games, my time goes exclusively into Monster Hunter: World. Now I really wish they'd have brought Monster Hunter: XX for the Switch over to the west, I'd love to play in my lunch break at work.

3 hours ago, Cool Rick said:

4 hours ago, Joker said:

I watched a few ZP videos several years ago, and I didn't enjoy Yahtzee's shtick. I used to nitpick things a lot, but now I just find it annoying. I've always preferred text game reviews anyway, accompanied by some Youtube clips of trailers and gameplay. So ZP was never going to appeal to me, but the nitpicking just made it worse for me. All that being said, I can see that his videos can be helpful to potential buyers, but it's not for me.

Sterling, on the other hand, I don't get at all. Him having "valid points regarding the industry" isn't anything special. Pretty much every gamer in 2018 has some level of insight into the gaming industry. Big deal.

At this point in my life, I have no interest in people who are fueled by negativity. I encounter this on an almost daily basis on my commute to and from work. I wait in line to get picked up by various drivers so they can take advantage of the High-Occupancy Vehicle car lanes on the interstate. A decent percentage of those drivers listen to political talk radio (with hosts similar to Rush Limbaugh). It makes no sense to me why people who are already dealing with the stress of traffic on a long commute, choose to listen to stuff that riles them up further. Gaming is a way for me to escape from the horrors of the real world. I'm here to have fun, not to spend my time hearing negativity.

3 hours ago, Cool Rick said:

In other news, Kirby in two weeks! Still not sure if I'm getting it day one, though if by then the gold coins can be used I'll probably use all my coins on Kirby, I've got a bunch that are valid until the last day of March and there's not many smaller titles on the Switch which I want but haven't bought yet.

Yeah, I may wait a bit for Kirby also. Thankfully I kept my purchases to a minimum in February, so I'm doing better in terms of buying games this year.

I am also interested in Bridge Constructor Portal too. I love Portal, and really enjoyed the LEGO Dimensions Portal stuff. I read one bad review on Gamespot which was enough to keep me from buying immediately, but I'm not sure that will reflect my experience playing. I'll read more reviews and decide in the next few days. Has anyone here bought it? Since it is a smartphone port, I want to know if the game has been given enough of a revamp to feel like a proper console game, or if it feels like a cheap mobile port clearly designed for touch controls.

2 hours ago, Joker said:

As for games, my time goes exclusively into Monster Hunter: World. Now I really wish they'd have brought Monster Hunter: XX for the Switch over to the west, I'd love to play in my lunch break at work.

Don't forget the Switch is region-free. Does MH XX have an English text option? Most of the time Japanese games don't, but sometimes they do. Personally, MH is a series that's never pulled me in. I have MH 3 on Wii U and 3DS, and MH 4 on 3DS, but I've never made it very far in them.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

13 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Don't forget the Switch is region-free. Does MH XX have an English text option? Most of the time Japanese games don't, but sometimes they do. Personally, MH is a series that's never pulled me in. I have MH 3 on Wii U and 3DS, and MH 4 on 3DS, but I've never made it very far in them.

Sadly it has not.

Yeah, I understand that completely. It's by no means easy to get into. They did however try a lot to get new players into it with MH: World. If you have any chance of easy acces maybe give it a go, they changed quite a bit. But not all games are for everyone, so if you never play it, I'm sure you find something elso to game ?.

24 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I've watched a few ZP videos, and I don't enjoy Yahtzee's shtick. I used to nitpick things a lot, but now I just find it annoying. I've always preferred text game reviews anyway, accompanied by some Youtube clips of trailers and gameplay. So ZP was never going to appeal to me. All that being said, I can see that his videos can be helpful to potential buyers, but it's not for me.

Sterling, on the other hand, I don't get at all. Him having "valid points regarding the industry" isn't anything special. Pretty much every gamer in 2018 has some level of insight into the gaming industry. Big deal.

At this point in my life, I have no interest in people who are fueled by negativity. I encounter this on an almost daily basis on my commute to and from work. I wait in line to get picked up by various drivers so they can take advantage of the High-Occupancy Vehicle car lanes on the interstate. A decent percentage of those drivers listen to political talk radio (with hosts similar to Rush Limbaugh). It makes no sense to me why people who are already dealing with the stress of traffic on a long commute, choose to listen to stuff that riles them up further.

It helps that ZPs negativity is done through a rapid fire of jokes, and jokes that I find really funny. Me watching ZP is90% having a laugh, 10% checking if I'd enjoy a game - I often watch reviews of games I'm not even interested in.

Zero_Punctuation_-_299_-_Metro_Last_Ligh

Zero_Punctuation_-_335_-_Dark_Souls.mp4_

E3_2_1.png

2 hours ago, Joker said:

Yeah, I may wait a bit for Kirby also. Thankfully I kept my purchases to a minimum in February, so I'm doing better in terms of buying games this year.

I am also interested in Bridge Constructor Portal too. I love Portal, and really enjoyed the LEGO Dimensions Portal stuff. I read one bad review on Gamespot which was enough to keep me from buying immediately, but I'm not sure that will reflect my experience playing. I'll read more reviews and decide in the next few days. Has anyone here bought it? Since it is a smartphone port, I want to know if the game has been given enough of a revamp to feel like a proper console game, or if it feels like a cheap mobile port clearly designed for touch controls.

The only game I bought in February is The Fall 2. Haven't played much of it yet, but I really enjoy it so far.

Then again, I haven't played that many games since most of my spare time in the past two weeks has gone into writing, catching up with the Marvel Netflix shows, and building this monstrosity:

Spoiler

5a69c5b3865b8c4a78ca0100.jpg

There's a fair few games I'm interested in, like Bridge Portal, The Trail and others, but I'm trying to do more about my backlog.

27 minutes ago, Joker said:

Sadly it has not.

Yeah, I understand that completely. It's by no means easy to get into. They did however try a lot to get new players into it with MH: World. If you have any chance of easy acces maybe give it a go, they changed quite a bit. But not all games are for everyone, so if you never play it, I'm sure you find something elso to game 1f604.png.

When I first got into the console world (after switching from the PC to the Wii and PS3 in 2012) I got a little crazy. I went through "best 25 games on console X" types of lists, and bought tons of game. Sure, they were mostly old and cheap, but still, I bought way more than I had time to play. My backlog has never recovered. I tried the whole 100%/Platinum most games thing for a while, but I recently realized that I'd rather actually play more of these games on my backlog rather than grind out for trophies in most of the games I own. And along with that realization, I have to come to accept that not all games are for everyone. That's a great way to put it.

I have heard that MH World is more accessible, but I think I'll still skip it. There are lots of games that are universally loved, that I choose to skip because there are other games that appeal to me more.

26 minutes ago, Cool Rick said:

Then again, I haven't played that many games since most of my spare time in the past two weeks has gone into writing, catching up with the Marvel Netflix shows, and building this monstrosity:

Hide contents

5a69c5b3865b8c4a78ca0100.jpg

You bastard! That set is beautiful. I try to keep my LEGO purchases under control. I bought the Ghost ship from SW Rebels (which was out-of-print and overpriced by the time I decided to get it), the shuttle set that docks in the Ghost, the A-Wing/TIE Advanced set, and one or two smaller sets. At that point I decided to hold off for now. I'm sure something else will tempt me in the future, but I've spent more than enough on LEGO sets for a while.

I would love to have a UCS set at some point, but I can't bring myself to drop the money for one.

5 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

You bastard! That set is beautiful. I try to keep my LEGO purchases under control. I bought the Ghost ship from SW Rebels (which was out-of-print and overpriced by the time I decided to get it), the shuttle set that docks in the Ghost, the A-Wing/TIE Advanced set, and one or two smaller sets. At that point I decided to hold off for now. I'm sure something else will tempt me in the future, but I've spent more than enough on LEGO sets for a while.

I would love to have a UCS set at some point, but I can't bring myself to drop the money for one.

I'm keeping my purchases unde control as well.

I loved the ideaof this set when it was released but it's so damn expensive (€850 here). I decided that I could buy it only if I made at least €600 selling stuff I already owned. So I sold a bunch of stuff - a lot of it LEGO sets to make room, I decided to do a bit of a filter on what kind of sets I wanted to keep. Luckily, LEGO sets tend to keep their value and I often buy sets on sale so I even made a bit of a profit on acouple of discontinued sets that are now craved by collectors.

I have done 10 of 17 bags now - I'm sticking to one bag a day, if I pay this much money I'll make it damned sure that I'm taking my time.

I have one other UCS set, the Slave I.

I also have that A-Wing / TIE Advanced set, mostly only for the TIE (I collect all types of TIE). I waited until I found that set for a super cheap price though (don't know exactly but it was under €60, and the base price was a very overpriced €110).

I have the TFA Millennium Falcon, but now that I have the big Falcon I'm going to MOC it into a YT-2400.

Next to the two USC sets, my most beloved sets are probably the AT-AT and the Shuttle Tydirium. From non-SW sets, I also have the big London Bridge set, and the Ultimate Batmobile.

There's rumours that of the two 2018 UCS sets, the big one will be a Star Destroyer (due to its silhouette appearing on the Falcon's box, like how the Falcon appeared on the recent Death Star box). The smaller one could very well be either an A-Wing or a Y-Wing.

I'm thinking about quiting small LEGO sets altogether and waiting on the one or two really amazing USC sets a year. With a couple of exceptions, like if that new type of TIE from the Solo movie gets a set, and stuff I could use for my Star Wars RPG game (alien minifigs, speeders...). Most of the classics I have by now, thanks to Rogue One bringing me an AT-ST and Rebels bringing the TIE Advanced from the aforementioned set.

32 minutes ago, Cool Rick said:

I also have that A-Wing / TIE Advanced set, mostly only for the TIE (I collect all types of TIE). I waited until I found that set for a super cheap price though (don't know exactly but it was under €60, and the base price was a very overpriced €110).

My daughter loves opening the hatch to see Vader inside. She now knows that his name is actually Vader, and not "hoo-purr" (she used to call him by his breathing sound). I can't wait for the day when she's old enough to see a Star Wars movie.

My only problem with that Advanced is that it doesn't rest well on its wings. I normally straighten the bottom wings out so that they're vertical. I like how the A-Wing in that set has actual landing gear.

32 minutes ago, Cool Rick said:

I have the TFA Millennium Falcon, but now that I have the big Falcon I'm going to MOC it into a YT-2400.

I recently checked out the Rebrickable site, added my SW sets, my BttF car, and some of my LEGO Dimensions sets. It's pretty cool, but I haven't tried any MOC builds yet. It seems like a lot of them require custom work like painting and such. Forget that noise. All I want to do is make a cool set, and then later maybe go back to the original official ones. I certainly don't want a irreversible creation that involves painting and custom parts. I don't see a YT-2400 on that site but I found a LEGO Ideas version. Are you going to make your own design, or follow instructions? If there's instructions for making one from the TFA Falcon, I might need to go hunt that down!

Also, I know you don't watch SW Rebels, but the YT-2400 had a major appearance in one episode. It was pretty sweet! I guess it was technically canon since it showed up in ANH Special Edition, but that was a cameo. This was a full-blown appearance with it firing cannons and flying around. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/YT-2400_light_freighter

I am definitely not a collector, and you have much more than I do. But it would be cool to have a X-Wing, Y-Wing, and B-Wing someday. I guess a TIE Interceptor, Bomber, and Fighter would be neat too, but I'm not really in love with the new designs. I guess the 2-seat one from TFA is kind of neat with the black coloring. There are other things I'd like, such as a Blockade Runner and a Star Destroyer, but I doubt I'll ever get them.

My holy grail was always to have a Death Star, but like the real holy grail, I have basically given up on that. When I finally got around to watching Spider-Man Homecoming, I loved seeing the Death Star LEGO set in it (I'm not sure which version it was though).

@MosesRockefeller I actually meant with MOC that I'm making it on my own; breaking stuff down and rebuilding other parts. Hardest bit for me is making sure it's actually solid instead of just aesthetically pleasing. I'm getting pretty far with just the Falcon parts and I'll vandalise the AT-DP or some other grey set I don't care for and can't find a buyer with a good bid for.

I have four of the six starfighters you mention, and I've used a Rebrickable MOC to make a regular TIE into an Interceptor so the only one I really miss is the Bomber.

I didn't care for the recent Star Destroyer butI would get a USC one. I also wouldn't mind a new Tantive IV set as I've missed the last one and I'm not paying those ridiculous scalper prices. I'd also like a C-ROC set as that's the new ship my RPG group has (they lost their YT-2400 for the second time now - first time was my intention but the second time was because a player whose last session it shot to hyperspace with it (long story but it wasn't just a steal, more a necessity if he didn't want to die - I had several endings planned for him depending on what he did during the session, and several endings ended with the main group losing the ship) so they're not getting it back this time).

Edited by Cool Rick

6 minutes ago, Cool Rick said:

@MosesRockefeller I actually meant with MOC that I'm making it on my own; breaking stuff down and rebuilding other parts. Hardest bit for me is making sure it's actually solid instead of just aesthetically pleasing. I'm getting pretty far with just the Falcon parts and I'll vandalise the AT-DP or some other grey set I don't care for and can't find a buyer with a good bid for.

I have four of the six starfighters you mention, and I've used a Rebrickable MOC to make a regular TIE into an Interceptor so the only one I really miss is the Bomber.

I didn't care for the recent Star Destroyer butI would get a USC one. I also wouldn't mind a new Tantive IV set as I've missed the last one and I'm not paying those ridiculous scalper prices. I'd also like a C-ROC set as that's the new ship my RPG group has (they lost their YT-2400 for the second time now - first time was my intention but the second time was because a player whose last session it shot to hyperspace with it (long story but it wasn't just a steal, more a necessity if he didn't want to die - I had several endings planned for him depending on what he did during the session, and several endings ended with the main group losing the ship) so they're not getting it back this time).

Nice, good luck with your personal YT-2400 design. I'd enjoy seeing pictures when you're done. I used to design my own LEGO ships as a kid in the late 80's and early 90's, but I don't have the creative inspiration for that now. The most I do is simple stuff with my daughter's small Duplo collection (which end up just being variations of her Mickey boathouse and Minnie store buildings).

I actually didn't know what the C-ROC was; I looked it up on Wookiepedia and as far as I can tell, SW Rebels introduced it. Usually that show and Clone Wars before it borrow designs from the EU, which I always liked about them.

Anyway, on the subject of the Corellian Corvette... I recently learned that the "canon" pronunciation (although it's never been on screen) is "Tan-tiv-ay". I cannot properly convey how dumb that sounds to me. Growing up I always assumed it was "Tan-tiev" (like TIE from "TIE Fighter" with a "v" at the end), although I can also get behind "Tan-teev" or "Tan-tiv". My point is, I always thought it was two syllables. Why do they have to go changing my headcanon?

15 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Nice, good luck with your personal YT-2400 design. I'd enjoy seeing pictures when you're done. I used to design my own LEGO ships as a kid in the late 80's and early 90's, but I don't have the creative inspiration for that now. The most I do is simple stuff with my daughter's small Duplo collection (which end up just being variations of her Mickey boathouse and Minnie store buildings).

Remind me if I don't post pictures. Might be a while before it's ready, I'm getting at the hard part (the saucer is done now).

I actually didn't know what the C-ROC was; I looked it up on Wookiepedia and as far as I can tell, SW Rebels introduced it. Usually that show and Clone Wars before it borrow designs from the EU, which I always liked about them.

The C-ROC started in Rebels but its full name is the C-ROC Gozanti-class cruiser; it's a variation on the Gozanti-class cruiser which was first seen in the background of The Phantom Menace. So your world view didn't break today :)

Gozanti_cruiser-TPM.png

I have the C-ROC miniature from the Fantasy Flight X-Wing miniatures game, by the way. And from that series I have the CR-90 (blockade runner), the Imperial Raider, and loads of smaller ships like the YT-1200, YT-2400, Firespray, X-Wing, Quadjumper, loads of TIE Fighters...

Anyway, on the subject of the Corellian Corvette... I recently learned that the "canon" pronunciation (although it's never been on screen) is "Tan-tiv-ay". I cannot properly convey how dumb that sounds to me. Growing up I always assumed it was "Tan-tiev" (like TIE from "TIE Fighter" with a "v" at the end), although I can also get behind "Tan-teev" or "Tan-tiv". My point is, I always thought it was two syllables. Why do they have to go changing my headcanon?

If they wanted the name to be Tantivay, they should have spelled it Tantivay. Withthe Tantive spelling, that's definitely not the pronunciation. Personally Tan-tiv feels natural, there are moe "-ve" words that drop the E. Like "wretched hive", it's not "wretched hi-vay". I guess it's Tentaiv then, phonetically. I say Tantiv but it's probably because I'm making it more of a Dutch pronounciation.

25 minutes ago, Cool Rick said:

The C-ROC started in Rebels but its full name is the C-ROC Gozanti-class cruiser; it's a variation on the Gozanti-class cruiser which was first seen in the background of The Phantom Menace. So your world view didn't break today :)

Gozanti_cruiser-TPM.png

I should have guessed. The Imperial Light Cruiser in Rebels is a variation on a Old Republic ship that was already seen. It only makes sense that the Empire (and especially the Rebellion) would reuse and repurpose multiple Old Republic ship designs.

25 minutes ago, Cool Rick said:

If they wanted the name to be Tantivay, they should have spelled it Tantivay. Withthe Tantive spelling, that's definitely not the pronunciation. Personally Tan-tiv feels natural, there are moe "-ve" words that drop the E. Like "wretched hive", it's not "wretched hi-vay". I guess it's Tentaiv then, phonetically. I say Tantiv but it's probably because I'm making it more of a Dutch pronounciation.

I don't know what you're talking about. Mos Eisley is a "wretched hiv of scume and villainay". And by the way, Mos Eisley is pronounced "Miss Eyes-lay-lay". :P

• Like 1