Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

I feel like there are a ton of Switch games I should be getting... but between my persistence on physical copies, groups like Limited Run Games teasing releases but not giving concrete dates, and non-limited physical releases with spotty/far out release dates, unannounced but hopeful stuff... my head is spinning a little bit. xD

I know I want with physical releases officially announced...

- Bayonetta 1/2 Collection (2 on cartridge, 1 on digital, a little salty about that)

- Bayonetta 3 (I don't think a physical release was announced but one can assume)

- Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

- Owlboy

- Wonder Boy: The Dragons Trap

- Saturday Morning RPG (courtesy of Limited Run Games)

I know I want with rumored/teased physical releases...

- Golf Story (vaguely hinted at by LRG)

I know I want, hopeful for a physical release someday...

- Hollow Knight (not out on Switch, unconfirmed release date, hoping and praying for a physical release but not optimistic)

- Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (out on Switch but no physical, on disc with other platforms so there's hope)

- Oceanhorn (out on Switch but no physical, on disc with other platforms so there's hope)

On the fence...

- Mercenary Kings (another confirmed LRG release)

?  Makes me sleepy just (over)thinking about it!

Edited by Dreakon13

My Nintendo will soon start offering Switch rewards. You will be able to pay eShop purchases with My Nintendo gold points. https://my.nintendo.com/news/699e4d32060f96b4

The coolest thing about Nintendo's "bonus" system is that it awards you points from physical Switch game cards as well as digital eShop purchases. And I noticed it gives gold points for the game's full price even when I've bought something at 50% discount from eShop. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

My Nintendo will soon start offering Switch rewards. You will be able to pay eShop purchases with My Nintendo gold points. https://my.nintendo.com/news/699e4d32060f96b4

The coolest thing about Nintendo's "bonus" system is that it awards you points from physical Switch game cards as well as digital eShop purchases. And I noticed it gives gold points for the game's full price even when I've bought something at 50% discount from eShop. :)

This looks like it's going to be amazing ^_^. I love reward systems like this as it actually feels like your getting something back from the companies for the time/loyalty/the actual buying of the games for that console :). I've got a few games that I've been saving so I'm looking forward to seeing what discounts/deals I can get with them.

14 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

9 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

This looks like it's going to be amazing ^_^. I love reward systems like this as it actually feels like your getting something back from the companies for the time/loyalty/the actual buying of the games for that console :). I've got a few games that I've been saving so I'm looking forward to seeing what discounts/deals I can get with them.

I just logged in here again just to share this news.

Note that there's something on that page that "news" sites don't seem to understand, and it's awesome news: there aren't going to be specific rewards titles it seems, but you can just use gold points on whatever, for 1 gold point per 1 cent.

If that's true and not just some vague wording, then we're getting a much better deal than Wii U and 3DS got, which was discounts on a very select list of titles (which, admittedly, meant that they could get a bigger discount per reward point, but at the cost of only rarely getting a game for free and only if you happened to have saved enough points)

Now lets hope that they'll do some form of discounts with the platinum points, because I'm doing nothing with those yet.

Some people wouldn't know a good game if it bit them on the ass.

27849443_905975192894161_858281271_n.png

On 2/9/2018 at 1:54 AM, Dreakon13 said:

I know I want with physical releases officially announced...

- Bayonetta 1/2 Collection (2 on cartridge, 1 on digital, a little salty about that)

- Bayonetta 3 (I don't think a physical release was announced but one can assume)

- Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Bayo 1 and 2 in Japan will apparently both have a cart each. Could be wrong, but that's what I heard, can't say I care enough to double check.

Bayo 3 will obviously have a cart version, if somehow it doesn't, I'll buy you a download code of it, no way it won't.

DKC I hope will also, because there's no way in fuck I'm paying the full eShop fare of 90 bucks for a re-release of a game K-Mart threw out for 20 bucks years ago.

I reread the rewards thing because it popped up on my Switch and apparently we're going to get much better rewards. We're going to get 5% of the undiscounted price on eShop games, so for a €60 game that's €3 or 300 points, where previously for such a game we got 70 points, or €0,70.

Also, just finished my first playthrough of Oxenfree. Great game, go play it everybody!

Edited by Simple Rick

42 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

I reread the rewards thing because it popped up on my Switch and apparently we're going to get much better rewards. We're going to get 5% of the undiscounted price on eShop games, so for a €60 game that's €3 or 300 points, where previously for such a game we got 70 points, or €0,70.

Also, just finished my first playthrough of Oxenfree. Great game, go play it everybody!

Earlier 20 - 50 gold points were enough to get you 10% - 50% off some purchases though. In the past I've also gotten Zelda: Wind Waker HD and Zelda: Link Between Worlds for free just for registering a couple of physical games or game consoles. They were some kind of Winter Game Promotion events or something. 
If you have existing gold points their value will be lower unless Nintendo converts our old points to match the new exchange rates. I wouldn't mind if the new Switch discount system and the old type offers coexisted. And I hope they'll keep the birthday offers where you get 30% off select Nintendo games just for being born.
In any case, it's really nice to get discounts and now you can use them towards any digital Switch purchase. Hoping they will use this system for 3DS games too even though I mostly buy physical.

2 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

Much like when EA dropped the requirement of points needed for Vader, the amount of points you'd earn dropped proportionately. This whole system sounds cool on paper, but the rewards they're handing out are in turn of a lesser value than those they previously had. I got 4 or 5 Game Boy Color games for my 3DS through My Nintendo gold coins back when it was still pretty new. I spent in total around 15 bucks before getting my first free game in the end, due to how the required points were set up. Now that 15 bucks would look to earn me back 15 cents, and while I dig the Fly Buys approach (that's gonna go over anyone not in Aus' heads, so think, literally almost any loyalty scheme really) idea, the actual value seems to drop compared to how things used to be priced. I'm not making too much sense right now, am I? I'm trying to say, like, we're getting more points now, but it seems like the cost of everything, from what they're describing, is also going up.

However, I have around 700 points last time I checked, so if that equates to a straight 7 bucks I can spend on anything, I'll be picking up the two Oh Sir! games and not having to worry about fucking up my "year of not spending money on shit I won't end up playing for ages".

Speaking of, I finally finished Blaster Master Zero about half an hour ago, turns out I'd been on the last level, and about ten minutes from the final boss, for almost a year now. I feel dumb. Anyway, I know there's a "true" ending, but tbh, how can you expect me to replay the whole thing again and look for EVERY little collectible, when I could instead play the thing again as Shovel Knight? 

4 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Earlier 20 - 50 gold points were enough to get you 10% - 50% off some purchases though. In the past I've also gotten Zelda: Wind Waker HD and Zelda: Link Between Worlds for free just for registering a couple of physical games or game consoles. They were some kind of Winter Game Promotion events or something. 
If you have existing gold points their value will be lower unless Nintendo converts our old points to match the new exchange rates. I wouldn't mind if the new Switch discount system and the old type offers coexisted. And I hope they'll keep the birthday offers where you get 30% off select Nintendo games just for being born.
In any case, it's really nice to get discounts and now you can use them towards any digital Switch purchase. Hoping they will use this system for 3DS games too even though I mostly buy physical.

3 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Much like when EA dropped the requirement of points needed for Vader, the amount of points you'd earn dropped proportionately. This whole system sounds cool on paper, but the rewards they're handing out are in turn of a lesser value than those they previously had. I got 4 or 5 Game Boy Color games for my 3DS through My Nintendo gold coins back when it was still pretty new. I spent in total around 15 bucks before getting my first free game in the end, due to how the required points were set up. Now that 15 bucks would look to earn me back 15 cents, and while I dig the Fly Buys approach (that's gonna go over anyone not in Aus' heads, so think, literally almost any loyalty scheme really) idea, the actual value seems to drop compared to how things used to be priced. I'm not making too much sense right now, am I? I'm trying to say, like, we're getting more points now, but it seems like the cost of everything, from what they're describing, is also going up.

However, I have around 700 points last time I checked, so if that equates to a straight 7 bucks I can spend on anything, I'll be picking up the two Oh Sir! games and not having to worry about fucking up my "year of not spending money on shit I won't end up playing for ages".

Speaking of, I finally finished Blaster Master Zero about half an hour ago, turns out I'd been on the last level, and about ten minutes from the final boss, for almost a year now. I feel dumb. Anyway, I know there's a "true" ending, but tbh, how can you expect me to replay the whole thing again and look for EVERY little collectible, when I could instead play the thing again as Shovel Knight? 

I've got just less than 750 points now with all mily purchases, whereas with the new system I'd have gotten 750 for Kart, Skyrim and Odyssey together, and then I'd still have points for all other purchases. SAD!

So just over €7 for me, yet spending it on Kriby will ensure that I already get another 300 points.

I don't think I'll save up my points much, I'll just use whatever points I have each new purchase I make. It'll prevent me from saying I got Pokémon for free, but it'll also prevent me from accidentally losing points.

I think this is a better deal than on Wii U and 3DS (as long as they also do something with platinum points), as it's a discount on any game I want instead of select few games I might already have or I might not even want.

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy personally I'd rather have a GOOD game, instead of Oh Sir. I should continue on Blaster Master Zero myself now that I have more of a taste for MetroidVania games but I just started on Retro City Rampage. I missed on the free period for Blaster Master Zero's Shovel Knight DLC and I'm not going to pay for it.

Also, King Knight should be available soon.

Alao, @Super-Fly Spider-Guy, a bunch of people are in a new event from @Joker. Not buying anything is a bit hardcore, the rules there are finishing three games before buying one new one.

57 minutes ago, Cool Rick said:

I've got just less than 750 points now with all mily purchases, whereas with the new system I'd have gotten 750 for Kart, Skyrim and Odyssey together, and then I'd still have points for all other purchases. SAD!

So just over €7 for me, yet spending it on Kriby will ensure that I already get another 300 points.

I don't think I'll save up my points much, I'll just use whatever points I have each new purchase I make. It'll prevent me from saying I got Pokémon for free, but it'll also prevent me from accidentally losing points.

I think this is a better deal than on Wii U and 3DS (as long as they also do something with platinum points), as it's a discount on any game I want instead of select few games I might already have or I might not even want.

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy personally I'd rather have a GOOD game, instead of Oh Sir. I should continue on Blaster Master Zero myself now that I have more of a taste for MetroidVania games but I just started on Retro City Rampage. I missed on the free period for Blaster Master Zero's Shovel Knight DLC and I'm not going to pay for it.

Also, King Knight should be available soon.

Alao, @Super-Fly Spider-Guy, a bunch of people are in a new event from @Joker. Not buying anything is a bit hardcore, the rules there are finishing three games before buying one new one.

I think the new system is better too, I feel you. But like, if I'm gonna spend X amount on a game, saving a dollar off whatever I'm buying every now and then doesn't really mean that much to me, but stacking up a few bucks and picking up a smaller game I'm on the fence about for free is a more enticing idea. I think the best thing about their new setup is that it's the best of both worlds, you can save a couple here and there which is nice, and I can get the odd little game for free which is also nice. More options is never a bad thing. 

Have you played Oh Sir and are ragging on it from experience, or have you not and you just think it looks like shit? I've no experience with it at all, all I know is it looks to be amusing, up my alley, and three dollars.  I'm glad I finally crossed BMZ off the backlog, I still got a fair bit to get through on the Switch alone, which is crazy to think about when not even a year ago people were complaining about a supposed lack of Switch games that would be out. I gotta get around to finishing up this version of RCR too, I've beat it enough times at this point it's been put deep into the backlog on Switch. Free DLC is the best DLC, and free DLC that has Shovel Knight in it is a little better.

10 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Some people wouldn't know a good game if it bit them on the ass.

27849443_905975192894161_858281271_n.png

Bayo 1 and 2 in Japan will apparently both have a cart each. Could be wrong, but that's what I heard, can't say I care enough to double check.

Bayo 3 will obviously have a cart version, if somehow it doesn't, I'll buy you a download code of it, no way it won't.

DKC I hope will also, because there's no way in fuck I'm paying the full eShop fare of 90 bucks for a re-release of a game K-Mart threw out for 20 bucks years ago.

My general rule is if I see the games listed for preorder on GameStop or Amazon (or some similar retailer) without specific mention of it being a download code... then it's getting a disc/cart release. As such I'm pretty confident in all these, including DKC.

The Japanese version of Bayonetta 1/2 having both on carts is interesting. Not particularly enticing for me though unless the Switch is region free (maybe it is?) and it comes with English options as well. Plus added import costs. Meh. :)

Edited by Dreakon13

6 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

My general rule is if I see the games listed for preorder on GameStop or Amazon (or some similar retailer) without specific mention of it being a download code... then it's getting a disc/cart release. As such I'm pretty confident in all these, including DKC.

The Japanese version of Bayonetta 1/2 having both on carts is interesting. Not particularly enticing for me though unless the Switch is region free (maybe it is?) and it comes with English options as well. Plus added import costs. Meh. :)

I think all of those getting retail version is certain. DKC and Bayonetta 3 should be published by Nintendo, so there's no excuse to not go for the added cost of a cartridge release. 

The Switch is region free. As for English voices/subtitles in Japanese games... that's a crap shoot as always. 

@Cool Rick, I'm replying to your comment on 'What Was Your Last Purchase' here as this would be the right place for my reply :).

?! I'm currently using the Star and Mushroom ones and they look pretty good! Definitely worth the money for me anyway. The plan is that, when I get Super Mario Odyssey, I'm going to switch them over to the Mario and Luigi! Bowser ones would be great. They could do a mash up of characters so, for example, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Peach, Zelda, Link, some Splatoon ones or some Bayonetta ones. Oh it would be amazing if Chucklefish did some Stardew Valley ones!:yay:

So, Owlboy comes out next week, and sadly I read a review that makes me reconsider buying it. The game has no in-game map. Why are there Metroidvanias without maps? After hating the lack of a map in Salt and Sanctuary (which was one of the things that made me drop the game), I don't think I can tolerate a Metroidvania without a map (and S&S was on the fringe of the genre, so if anything it's less noticeable there than I suspect it is in Owlboy). I guess for now, I'll wait for Hollow Knight. But I'd like to hear from anyone who gets Owlboy, how it feels without a map. 

I was really looking forward to this game, but the lack of a map is really disappointing to me. 

Know what I just realized? My free copy of Bayonetta 1, and free rental of Bayonetta 2, is gonna be enough combined to give me another free game with the new point system.

The cheapest game (that I also don't own) is Oh Sir! The Insult Simulator, which I've nearly bought a few times on PS4 as it is, but anyway, that's 2.99. 

Next lowest is 4.49, Oh Sir 2. 

There's a few ranging from 4.50 to 6 bucks, including a couple I've already bought like Kid Tripp, Red Game Without a Great Name, and Knight Terrors

At the moment, I currently have 756 gold coins. These coins, under the new system, are worth 7.56 dollarydoos, assuming I'm not missing something.

The new system gives you 5% of the dollar value back in gold coins, right? And 1% back for physical copies. I'm not misreading this, am I, or?

So then if Bayonetta 1 is $49.95 digital, then 5% of that is $2.50 credited to my gold coin stack.

And then if Bayonetta 2 is $69.95 digital, but I'm only getting 1% back, then I've got another 70 cents in the pile.

So I've got 3.20 from the Bayo games coming, plus my 7.56, totaling out to $10.76 to blow on shit. 

The 3.20 from the Bayo games can be used to buy Oh Sir 1, leaving me with 7.77 give or take a couple cents for Nintendo's rounding up or down on the .95 Bayo prices.

The best thing is, in spending those 299 points on Oh Sir, I'm actually using the gold coins I got from the Switch launch last March, which would have other wise expired. So that shit needs to be done, but the other 7.77 can sit comfortably for a while and wait on a sale, but at this point in time, it's buy Oh Sir or have half the coins expire. Tough choice.

Anyway, thank you, Ringwood Library, for giving me a free game, renting me it's sequel, and through both those liberties, access to another free game.

You guys got any plans for your gold coins when they can FINALLY be used on the Switch? Also, I'm real keen, I reserved their copy of Mario Rabbids the other day and it got returned a couple days back and I'll be picking it up Friday night on my way home, for the next couple weeks I'm only on Wed-Fri, so I got a four day weekend to dig into this sucker.

12 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

So, Owlboy comes out next week, and sadly I read a review that makes me reconsider buying it. The game has no in-game map. Why are there Metroidvanias without maps? After hating the lack of a map in Salt and Sanctuary (which was one of the things that made me drop the game), I don't think I can tolerate a Metroidvania without a map (and S&S was on the fringe of the genre, so if anything it's less noticeable there than I suspect it is in Owlboy). I guess for now, I'll wait for Hollow Knight. But I'd like to hear from anyone who gets Owlboy, how it feels without a map. 

I was really looking forward to this game, but the lack of a map is really disappointing to me. 

I played it on PC... a while ago... but I don't recall not having a map being too much of a nuisance.  Unlike other metroidvania's... I don't remember myself getting lost all that much (Hollow Knight in particular was actually quite frustrating in that regard even with a map).  The diversions/story paths from the main areas of the game are relatively linear and self-contained, and you often find yourself looping back around naturally.  And I don't think the level/map design is particularly confusing so you learn the general layout and where to go pretty quickly.

This was a little bit ago though, I might not be remembering 100% correctly (and who knows how complicated it gets if you try and do everything, I just did the story for the most part).  Take it with a grain of salt.  Feel like if I were often lost/confused though... I wouldn't remember the game very fondly.

Edited by Dreakon13

On 10/02/2018 at 2:54 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I think the new system is better too, I feel you. But like, if I'm gonna spend X amount on a game, saving a dollar off whatever I'm buying every now and then doesn't really mean that much to me, but stacking up a few bucks and picking up a smaller game I'm on the fence about for free is a more enticing idea. I think the best thing about their new setup is that it's the best of both worlds, you can save a couple here and there which is nice, and I can get the odd little game for free which is also nice. More options is never a bad thing. 

Have you played Oh Sir and are ragging on it from experience, or have you not and you just think it looks like shit? I've no experience with it at all, all I know is it looks to be amusing, up my alley, and three dollars.  I'm glad I finally crossed BMZ off the backlog, I still got a fair bit to get through on the Switch alone, which is crazy to think about when not even a year ago people were complaining about a supposed lack of Switch games that would be out. I gotta get around to finishing up this version of RCR too, I've beat it enough times at this point it's been put deep into the backlog on Switch. Free DLC is the best DLC, and free DLC that has Shovel Knight in it is a little better.

I loved the idea of Oh Sir, then watched a gameplay video and it's one of the dullest things Ive ever seen. Seriously, none of the insult combinations are even snicker-level funny.

12 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Know what I just realized? My free copy of Bayonetta 1, and free rental of Bayonetta 2, is gonna be enough combined to give me another free game with the new point system.

The cheapest game (that I also don't own) is Oh Sir! The Insult Simulator, which I've nearly bought a few times on PS4 as it is, but anyway, that's 2.99. 

Next lowest is 4.49, Oh Sir 2. 

There's a few ranging from 4.50 to 6 bucks, including a couple I've already bought like Kid Tripp, Red Game Without a Great Name, and Knight Terrors

At the moment, I currently have 756 gold coins. These coins, under the new system, are worth 7.56 dollarydoos, assuming I'm not missing something.

The new system gives you 5% of the dollar value back in gold coins, right? And 1% back for physical copies. I'm not misreading this, am I, or?

So then if Bayonetta 1 is $49.95 digital, then 5% of that is $2.50 credited to my gold coin stack.

And then if Bayonetta 2 is $69.95 digital, but I'm only getting 1% back, then I've got another 70 cents in the pile.

So I've got 3.20 from the Bayo games coming, plus my 7.56, totaling out to $10.76 to blow on shit. 

The 3.20 from the Bayo games can be used to buy Oh Sir 1, leaving me with 7.77 give or take a couple cents for Nintendo's rounding up or down on the .95 Bayo prices.

The best thing is, in spending those 299 points on Oh Sir, I'm actually using the gold coins I got from the Switch launch last March, which would have other wise expired. So that shit needs to be done, but the other 7.77 can sit comfortably for a while and wait on a sale, but at this point in time, it's buy Oh Sir or have half the coins expire. Tough choice.

Anyway, thank you, Ringwood Library, for giving me a free game, renting me it's sequel, and through both those liberties, access to another free game.

You guys got any plans for your gold coins when they can FINALLY be used on the Switch? Also, I'm real keen, I reserved their copy of Mario Rabbids the other day and it got returned a couple days back and I'll be picking it up Friday night on my way home, for the next couple weeks I'm only on Wed-Fri, so I got a four day weekend to dig into this sucker.

Really, don't get Oh Sir. It's cheap but that's the only thing it's got going for it.

Octodad, Golf Story and forma.8 are on sale and worth their full price. Super Mario Bros., Super One More Jump, Picross S, Pic-a-Pix, Bulb Boy Putty Pals, Völgarr The Viking... All good to amazing games for €10 tops. Pick one of those if you want a cheap game, just leave Oh Sir in aditch, where it should be.

20 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

@Cool Rick, I'm replying to your comment on 'What Was Your Last Purchase' here as this would be the right place for my reply :).

1f602.png! I'm currently using the Star and Mushroom ones and they look pretty good! Definitely worth the money for me anyway. The plan is that, when I get Super Mario Odyssey, I'm going to switch them over to the Mario and Luigi! Bowser ones would be great. They could do a mash up of characters so, for example, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Peach, Zelda, Link, some Splatoon ones or some Bayonetta ones. Oh it would be amazing if Chucklefish did some Stardew Valley ones!:yay:

Don't think it will ever get to those examples. At this point, I'd already be happy with some additional joycon colours.

13 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

I played it on PC... a while ago... but I don't recall not having a map being too much of a nuisance.  Unlike other metroidvania's... I don't remember myself getting lost all that much (Hollow Knight in particular was actually quite frustrating in that regard even with a map).  The diversions/story paths from the main areas of the game are relatively linear and self-contained, and you often find yourself looping back around naturally.  And I don't think the level/map design is particularly confusing so you learn the general layout and where to go pretty quickly.

This was a little bit ago though, I might not be remembering 100% correctly (and who knows how complicated it gets if you try and do everything, I just did the story for the most part).  Take it with a grain of salt.  Feel like if I were often lost/confused though... I wouldn't remember the game very fondly.

I like it when a MetroidVania game has a natural flow. Got annoyed enough with Axiom Verge to actually look at a guide to see where the hell I should go next.

Owlboy looks very promising but The Fall 2 releases the same day. I'm just more into bleak sci-fi, I guess.

• Like 1

Well, it's finally the day of The Fall Part 2: Unbound and Owlboy.

Anyone picking up either, or even both, right away?

I'm getting The Fall 2 when I get back from work. Loved the first game. If you haven't played this yet, PS4 gets a bundle for a decent price with an extra 20% off for PS+ members, meaning you only pay €0,60 for the first game. Kf you already have the first game, at least in the EU the second game seems to be cheaper on the Switch than on the PS4.

7 hours ago, Cool Rick said:

Well, it's finally the day of The Fall Part 2: Unbound and Owlboy.

Anyone picking up either, or even both, right away?

I'm getting The Fall 2 when I get back from work. Loved the first game. If you haven't played this yet, PS4 gets a bundle for a decent price with an extra 20% off for PS+ members, meaning you only pay €0,60 for the first game. Kf you already have the first game, at least in the EU the second game seems to be cheaper on the Switch than on the PS4.

Owlboy was a day-one buy for me, until I read about the lack of a map. Now I'm waiting to read more impressions of the game before I buy it, especially since it's priced in the "premium indie" range.

I have The Fall Part 1 on PS4 and I think Wii U (where it was part of a indie bundle IIRC), but never tried it. I guess I need to get on that.

On 2/12/2018 at 7:59 AM, Dreakon13 said:

Thanks for the feedback. That's promising, but I hope I can get some more recent feedback also. Your comment on Hollow Knight makes me a bit concerned though. That is another game I'm looking forward to, but I don't like the sound of getting lost frequently.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Your comment on Hollow Knight makes me a bit concerned though. That is another game I'm looking forward to, but I don't like the sound of getting lost frequently.

Hollow Knight has a charm system, where you get a bunch of charms that make you better or activate certain features but only X amount of slots to put them in.

Some of those features include improvements to the map (map markers, your current location, tracking you as you move, etc).  So you may want to choose between map features and combat/traversal improvements, and you can't change them on the fly.  Only at save spots/benches.  It makes for an interesting little meta that can noticeably change how you play depending on the combination of charms you use... but certain convenient map functionality may suffer for it.  At least until you unlock enough slots to use the charms you need consistently, and actually find/buy the charms to do it (map ones are pretty basic though, I think you get them early).

Plus you don't typically unlock the map for new areas until you find an NPC hidden in that area and buy the map from him.

It's a tough game, and not just because of the combat.  I found the whole "getting lost" thing frustrating enough initially to almost give up on it a few times.  I'm glad I stuck with it though.  If a game is good enough, I always seem to find my way back to it. xD

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Owlboy was a day-one buy for me, until I read about the lack of a map. Now I'm waiting to read more impressions of the game before I buy it, especially since it's priced in the "premium indie" range.

Mèh. €30 and above is premium indie pricing to me. €20-€25 is Axiom Verge and Shovel Knight money, I'm willing to bet a price like that on a game that fits my genre preferences, takes me at least eight to ten hours to play through and has already been getting good response from other gamers, on this system or a different one.

I have The Fall Part 1 on PS4 and I think Wii U (where it was part of a indie bundle IIRC), but never tried it. I guess I need to get on that.

If you already have it then you should certainly give it a try. Gameplay can be a little bit rough around the edges but it's got a great story and feel.

Thanks for the feedback. That's promising, but I hope I can get some more recent feedback also. Your comment on Hollow Knight makes me a bit concerned though. That is another game I'm looking forward to, but I don't like the sound of getting lost frequently.

Weren't you the one who loved Axiom Verge? I thought that game was pretty good at not making it clear where I should go four or five times in the second half.

13 hours ago, Cool Rick said:

Mèh. €30 and above is premium indie pricing to me. €20-€25 is Axiom Verge and Shovel Knight money, I'm willing to bet a price like that on a game that fits my genre preferences, takes me at least eight to ten hours to play through and has already been getting good response from other gamers, on this system or a different one.

For me, non-premium indie pricing is $10-20. Above that is premium. That said, by all reports, Owlboy is a quality game. I just strongly disagree with its lack of a map. For $25, I better get a map.

13 hours ago, Cool Rick said:

Weren't you the one who loved Axiom Verge? I thought that game was pretty good at not making it clear where I should go four or five times in the second half.

Yes but I don't remember getting stuck a lot.

19 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

For me, non-premium indie pricing is $10-20. Above that is premium. That said, by all reports, Owlboy is a quality game. I just strongly disagree with its lack of a map. For $25, I better get a map.

Perhaps the devs think you don't need a map because it's obvious enough where to go? Stealth Inc 2 doesn't think you need a map either.

Neither does The Fall or The Fall 2 by the way,which brings me to the next point: I'm really enjoying The Fall 2 on the Switch, played about an hour now. It also made me remember to tell you, @MosesRockefeller, that The Fall and its sequel are kind of "MetroidVania-lite" games, featuring a bit of exploration and backtracking as well as unlocking new 'powers', while on the whole still being a linear game - that is to say, you move from larger area to larger area which all have subsets to backtrack in.

5 hours ago, Cool Rick said:

Perhaps the devs think you don't need a map because it's obvious enough where to go? Stealth Inc 2 doesn't think you need a map either.

Neither does The Fall or The Fall 2 by the way,which brings me to the next point: I'm really enjoying The Fall 2 on the Switch, played about an hour now. It also made me remember to tell you, @MosesRockefeller, that The Fall and its sequel are kind of "MetroidVania-lite" games, featuring a bit of exploration and backtracking as well as unlocking new 'powers', while on the whole still being a linear game - that is to say, you move from larger area to larger area which all have subsets to backtrack in.

That's possible. I'm just a bit grumpy because it seems like more and more devs purposely leave out quality-of-life improvements because it "increases immersion" or something. I will choose the QoL improvement every time. Without playing Owlboy I can't say for certain whether it's lacking a map because it truly doesn't need one, or because of a stubborn insistence on making the game frustrating.

I seem to recall Stealth Inc 2 being marketed as a puzzle game with MetroidVania elements, not as a full-blown MetroidVania itself (unlike Owlboy).