Suggestion For The Dispute System

14 minutes ago, Saionji said:

Nice ideas but I think if we make those disputes so annonymous no one from the "outside" of staff can actually help the disputer with their knowledge of the game. Staff may not always know every exploit games has to offer.

Read it again. Up to 10 (or whatever number of) people who (think they) have knowledge of the game would be allowed to vote, as well as commenting and asking questions to clear up the dispute. Staff would take the accumulated votes and comments to make their final decision. The anonymity is so that people concentrate on the task at hand instead of how awesome they look while doing it with their screennames exposed. If need be, the disputer can be the one person without anonymity, so that you can look at the overall trophy list to make a clear decision.

Edited by damon8r351

I support all of the suggestions here to make the process much more fair. The only point I'm considering is weak is point #2:

46 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

The individual dispute can only be accessed by Staff, the person making the dispute, and people who have the game on their profile (not hidden), and have earned the trophy in dispute.

Don't the people who want to be higher on the Leaderboards have a vested interest in removing any others and so may vote negatively out of self interest? If the point is to limit interaction, is there another criteria that could be used? Just because I haven't loaded a game and or achieved a particular trophy doesn't mean I can't evaluate the facts and/or provide input that either absolves or supports the flag fairly.

Lastly, a suggestion: A way to track a ratio for the number of times someone votes to keep a flag versus the number of times those flags have been absolved. To identify those who consistently unfairly evaluate disputes and suspend those voters for a period of time once the ratio gets sufficiently low, to keep people who evaluated the evidence fairly participating and deter those who just vote to keep

flags on all disputes. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Sly Ripper said:

It helps verify the report. Report posts that "point and mock".

Problem with trying clean up the dispute forums by reporting abusive people is twofold:

1. The moderators themselves. I've personally reported things that were grossly out of line, things that completely would not have not flown before, multi-user, muti-post flame wars in, of all places, a community event thread. I reported every single post as off topic and abusive. Watched a moderator go in, look around for 5 minutes, and leave without changing anything. I don't know if the mods are overworked, don't care any more (because God forbid, I have the greatest amount of respect for both Stevie and Parker), or just some different standard that's unclear to me is being applied. I feel bad for saying it. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.
  2. The people in the dispute forum. They're following the rules to the letter in regards to behavior. Dancing on the line of what's inappropriate without actually being inappropriate, so that there's technically nothing you can report them for. And it's blatantly obvious to anyone who has stepped foot in a dispute forum that to these people, it's not about doing a good community service by clearing the leaderboard of legitimate cheaters, it's about having their sick little measure of power over people. I've once heard them described as hyenas, and that sums it up perfectly. And this sort of thing is going to continue to happen until a real functional change to the dispute system is made. Otherwise, it's going to keep chasing away the good members that the community should want to keep.
  • Like 1

I'm guilty of having been one of these dispute hyenas myself. 

The current system definitely needs improvements and the suggestions here are thought through well. So why not try this out for a couple of disputes (be it actual ones or dummy ones for testing reasons) and see if it works?

If it turns out that it's not working then so be it but I doubt that would be the case. A lot of people by now have agreed on the fact the disputes should be made anonymous so why not give it a try? :) 

27 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

I don't know if the mods are overworked

I've made the suggestion multiple times over the past two years to add more mods (this is the most recent one that wasn't deleted) and Mango got mod powers... but komp also lost them. 4 forum mods (if mango and sly count) to 200k members does seem a little thin though.

I have a suggestion -- this might not work for every game -- or every person's situation -- but should help some people.

(Perhaps this already exists but I've never seen it)

Allow everyone the opportunity to send their save to @grimydawg to review it.  Everyone's should be unique, right???  For games that keep scores, times, tracks various data, this will help some innocent people.  It should be obvious too if they tried to build upon the original save, like that Ninja Gaiden thread that was opened recently.  

Edited by B1rvine

I like your idea @damon8r351 well thought out. Alas I think yours and everybody else's suggestions are falling on deaf ears. The powers that be clearly have no interest in changing something which I think is the worst aspect of this site and is actually pretty shameful at times. 

How would you decide who was going to vote? A first come first served type thing or a dedicated team of say 15-20 people who have powers similar to staff? I do think it's unfair for just one person to always be doing it. Not a comment on that person's performance, it's just a lot of work for one guy I feel. 

@B1rvine in principle I like this idea with the saves. But perhaps a lot of people wouldn't want to send data to a stranger. Maybe screen grabs/pictures etc of leaderboards or in game stats could suffice?

23 minutes ago, turpinator1986 said:

I like your idea @damon8r351 well thought out. Alas I think yours and everybody else's suggestions are falling on deaf ears. The powers that be clearly have no interest in changing something which I think is the worst aspect of this site and is actually pretty shameful at times. 

How would you decide who was going to vote? A first come first served type thing or a dedicated team of say 15-20 people who have powers similar to staff? I do think it's unfair for just one person to always be doing it. Not a comment on that person's performance, it's just a lot of work for one guy I feel. 

@B1rvine in principle I like this idea with the saves. But perhaps a lot of people wouldn't want to send data to a stranger. Maybe screen grabs/pictures etc of leaderboards or in game stats could suffice?

My idea was if you have the game on your profile, had the trophy in question, and a certain other criteria. Either a certain level of forum reputation and length of time in the forum, or if you were a premium member, or some other criteria determined by the owner. If it was forum reputation, I'd have eliminated being able to get forum reputation from forum games and statuses, make it something you actually had to work for by being genuinely helpful or a good community member. It's similar to the example of a dispute system I'd seen work in a different forum (not gaming related). Says it all in my original post. That way it splits the difference between privacy, and allowing the public to give their expertise. It'd be separate from the forum so it's not a public shaming spectacle, but anyone who has experience in the game can submit their opinion on its legitimacy without it being left up to a permanent team that may not have experience with it. Staff members would have unlimited access to make final decision, the 10 voters would be first-come-first-serve, whoever is qualified to help with the game (have the game and trophy, meet the other criteria). Conceivably, if no consensus could be reached between 10 community members plus present Staff members, more qualified people could be let in one at a time until one was reached.

Edited by damon8r351

8 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

My idea was if you have the game on your profile, had the trophy in question, and a certain other criteria. Either a certain level of forum reputation and length of time in the forum, or if you were a premium member, or some other criteria determined by the owner. If it was forum reputation, I'd have eliminated being able to get forum reputation from forum games and statuses, make it something you actually had to work for by being genuinely helpful or a good community member. It's similar to the example of a dispute system I'd seen work in a different forum (not gaming related). Says it all in my original post. That way it splits the difference between privacy, and allowing the public to give their expertise. It'd be separate from the forum so it's not a public shaming spectacle, but anyone who has experience in the game can submit their opinion on its legitimacy without it being left up to a permanent team that may not have experience with it.

Yeah I got all that as I read your original post. What I mean is, younsuggestt around 10 people could vote. Well how would you decide who? Because on a lot of disputed more than ten people have their say currently so you couldn't just allow anyone who rocks up and fulfils the criteria to vote as that would result in too many people. 

5 minutes ago, turpinator1986 said:

Yeah I got all that as I read your original post. What I mean is, younsuggestt around 10 people could vote. Well how would you decide who? Because on a lot of disputed more than ten people have their say currently so you couldn't just allow anyone who rocks up and fulfils the criteria to vote as that would result in too many people. 

Made some updates to what you quoted, maybe that answers your question. Also, it doesn't have to be "10", whatever number is reasonable. The whole thing was up for discussion.

Edited by damon8r351

• 2 weeks later...