The Horror Movie Thread

jackmadrox

• 1 month later...

So I watched this recently...

ogN09o1.jpg

My Letterboxd review

Sergio Martino is a filmmaker whose work I have come to enjoy. I'm always enthralled by his style, which is certainly evident in this. This has an elegance that would be hard to imitate as Martino carefully handles it. In particular, the party scene in the beginning is both elegant as well as harrowing, but it sets up the tone for the rest of the film. That said, the tension is well-built as all is calm before the black gloved killer cuts into the flesh of beautiful women. The fact that they are unsuspecting victims is an aspect that Martino uses to his advantage due to the visceral feel of the murders.

The score by Bruno Nicolai is second to none. It works well in both sensual and ominous scenes, and it contributes fittingly to the atmosphere. Nicolai's mindset never feels out of place nor does it come up short. You can tell that not only did he get along with Martino, but also that he treated the score as a labor of love. Furthermore, Nicolai's pieces are very much in tune with the interesting camerawork. It's quite a thing to experience the intensity of a typewriter repeating the same word over and over as well as the clandestine nature of peeping through a keyhole -- both of which are accentuated by the score.

This is a unique take on a familiar Edgar Allan Poe story that will make you ponder what is driving Irina to the brink of madness. Is it her influence on the cat or the cat's influence on her? That is a question which Martino raises without causing you to feel confused or misled, especially because there is an allure to the cat. It's amazing how something as innocent as a cat is a source of distress for Irina. Add Floriana -- who is wonderfully portrayed by Edwige Fenech -- to the mix and you have a giallo which is full of startling surprises. This is a high point in Martino's career that is a must watch for any giallo fan. Give this a whirl as you'll be glad you did.

On 4/12/2018 at 0:19 AM, jackmadrox said:

Saw Insidious: The Last Key. It was alright. Nothing spectacular, but decent.

How did it compare to the first one? The original is one that really messes with you. It seems like a lot of the PG-13 horror movies are more genuinely scary than the R-rated ones.

One I'm waiting for is It: Chapter Two. I loved the first chapter. Pennywise's first kill was a real shock.

Another good one also based on a Stephen King story is 1408. One of my favorite scenes is when the room's clock hotel radio suddenly turns on, playing a song called "We've Only Just Begun". Such a sweet & innocent song, right? Well think again. Room 1408 has "only just begun" terrorizing the protagonist, author Mike Enslin.  The hotel manager tried to talk him out of staying in that room earlier, warning him that it's an "evil fucking room". And... is it any coincidence that the digits in 1408 add up to 13? Can't be.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

How did it compare to the first one? The original is one that really messes with you. It seems like a lot of the PG-13 horror movies are more genuinely scary than the R-rated ones.

One I'm waiting for is It: Chapter Two. I loved the first chapter. Pennywise's first kill was a real shock.

Another good one also based on a Stephen King story is 1408. One of my favorite scenes is when the room's clock hotel radio suddenly turns on, playing a song called "We've Only Just Begun". Such a sweet & innocent song, right? Well think again. Room 1408 has "only just begun" terrorizing the protagonist, author Mike Enslin.  The hotel manager tried to talk him out of staying in that room earlier, warning him that it's an "evil fucking room". And... is it any coincidence that the digits in 1408 add up to 13? Can't be.

I love 1408. But which ending do you prefer? The one where he burns alive in the room, or the one where he gets rescued?

I've seen just the theatrical cut of 1408 (Watched it on VOD a few years back, it was either Netflix or Amazon), which has this ending:

Spoiler

Mike is saved after blowing up room 1408.

IINM that other ending would be on the Director's Cut. I may go buy this one sometime.

Spoiler

The one where Mike still destroys 1408, but doesn't survive. In fact, it was originally to be the true ending. Because of bad feedback from the test audience, it was switched out.

Edited by gameoverDude189

On 3/7/2019 at 3:18 AM, fastflowdaman said:

There's no reason NOT to use spoiler tags however old the movie may be. Quit being dumb.

Like this weekend was the weekend you were finally going to get around to watching 1408 after putting it off for ten years. If you haven't made time to see it yet, you probably never will.

So quit being petty.

Edited by jackmadrox

• 5 months later...

Y60av9d.jpg

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I would be lying if I said that this is not an assault on the senses because that is exactly what Gaspar Noé accomplishes as he depicts a celebration which is as unrestrained as it is harrowing. It is a celebration that you may find yourself unprepared for, especially if you're new to the work of Noé as he leaves very little to the imagination. He ensures that you are trapped inside the abandoned school with the dance troupe as their paranoia towards one another intensifies. It's a feeling that you can't shake as doing so would take you out of their reality which encompasses qualities such as exuberance, relationships, violence, desperation, self-mutilation, fear, and the human psyche. Those are all observable due to the cause and effect of the situation as the troupe never anticipates to succumb to the effects of LSD. They are in the midst of a whirlwind that is as intense as their rehearsal, and for that reason, it's not obvious as to when or how it will end, so finding out for yourself results in some shocking moments that are accentuated by the free-flowing cinematography. The closer that Noé gets to the uncomfortable situations, the more rampant they become, which illustrates a kind of depravity that is both frank and vile. It's an amalgamation that due to its visceral nature, you won't forget it anytime soon.

Whether the troupe is dancing or acting on exhibiting distrust towards one another, Noé is exploring what it means to have a pulse. That is a subtly that is of note because it is as rhythmic as the music which the troupe is familiar with, so it can be said that they are most alive when they are dancing as that is what brings about ecstasy for them. It's an escape from the outside world, but that does mean that they are immune to its influence, which is what Noé conveys as the troupe is in a state of disarray. That is a state that although it is connected to having a pulse, it results in acting impulsively since it is an attempt to curb the chaos. However, the question is raised as to whether or not the troupe is too far gone because they do not take time to consider the effects that their acts of violence have on one another. It's a downward spiral that serves as a contrast to the vibrant state of motion that is conveyed in the dance scenes, so the opposite ends of the spectrum never stray from their asymmetry.

You may find that some things will go over your head while watching this, but that is what will encourage you to fill in the gaps. That will help you appreciate what Noé is accomplishing even if you don't completely understand the method to his madness. I'm sure that is part of what will warrant rewatching this.

• Like 1

Watched White Zombie. I'm in my old black and white horror movie phase. It comes and goes. 

Disturbing enough, would be even more so if it didn't star Bela Lugosi as an antagonist because you just know he was born for that...I mean, you see it coming. Still, he delivers as always, love that little beard he has plus the classic Dracula hair. This is before Lucio Fulci and George Romero made flesh eating zombies so here the zombies don't do much besides being slaves, but that's what the movie's plot centers itself with, I thought it was great. The way they move around is creepy haha.

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, SKIBADEE187 said:

MV5BZGJkMDRiOWUtZTMzZC00YzYzLWI1NDAtODc4

this has been a big disappointment for me after the great first season!! I could only manage 20 mins into episode 3 & stopped watching.

I might try & go back to it so I can form a complete opinion.

Well tbh it's not much of a horror 

Shutter+001.jpg

I don't think anyone's mentioned that before, if you want to watch a horror film that's actually scary I'd recommend Shutter. It's an old Thai movie, and if I remember it right it was made by two film school students as their final project. Don't quote me on that tho. Well made ghost story

Edited by Herbset
Shutter
  • Like 1

On 24/10/2020 at 10:21 AM, Herbset said:

Well tbh it's not much of a horror 

Shutter+001.jpg

I don't think anyone's mentioned that before, if you want to watch a horror film that's actually scary I'd recommend Shutter. It's an old Thai movie, and if I remember it right it was made by two film school students as their final project. Don't quote me on that tho. Well made ghost story

ok cool thank for the recommendation I will check it out this week?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just watched The Sadness on Shudder. Real gory and messed up. It takes the idea of a zombie virus and laces it with the horrible things real people do. It's like the movie was trying to answer the age old question of why people do such terrible things to each other. I recommend it, but only if you can stomach heavy bloody gore and disturbing dialogue.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...