Kicking my @ss!

Wade_VC

The broken combat in this game make those combat challenges extremely frustrating. Killed the Plat for me as it's not worth it. The combat is broken imo, 1 round it will work fine next round it just doesn't work.

He will stop targeting enemies and just punch air breaking the flow, for instance one of my last attempts i was on a 47 flow with just 2 enemies remaining, i was facing an enemy that was about 6 foot away and he just stood there punching air, but earlier in the fight i was surrounded and he decides to target and run to an enemy 20 foot away? Makes no sense, its even worse if that is one that needs to stunned. 

Having these challenges in small spaces is daft because the camera can't properly adjust. When the game slows down 9/10 times the games becomes unresponsive which is my biggest issue, every single other game if the indicator comes up you're about to be hit you press a correct button and it counters or whatever, but not in this game it hardly ever works from my experience. I mean you literally get a large window where you can see the enemy that's about to attack and then it slows down, it would be piss easy if it worked properly. 

Loved the story mode, but imo this has the worst hand to hand combat of any game I've played. There is really no skill involved its just pure luck. 

2 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

The broken combat in this game make those combat challenges extremely frustrating. Killed the Plat for me as it's not worth it. The combat is broken imo, 1 round it will work fine next round it just doesn't work.

He will stop targeting enemies and just punch air breaking the flow, for instance one of my last attempts i was on a 47 flow with just 2 enemies remaining, i was facing an enemy that was about 6 foot away and he just stood there punching air, but earlier in the fight i was surrounded and he decides to target and run to an enemy 20 foot away? Makes no sense, its even worse if that is one that needs to stunned. 

Having these challenges in small spaces is daft because the camera can't properly adjust. When the game slows down 9/10 times the games becomes unresponsive which is my biggest issue, every single other game if the indicator comes up you're about to be hit you press a correct button and it counters or whatever, but not in this game it hardly ever works from my experience. I mean you literally get a large window where you can see the enemy that's about to attack and then it slows down, it would be piss easy if it worked properly. 

Loved the story mode, but imo this has the worst hand to hand combat of any game I've played. There is really no skill involved its just pure luck. 

Yeah the challenges are definitely frustrating. I played the Arkham trilogy back to back which helped me really nail down the combat mechanics. I tried Asylum's challenges after the campaign but struggled mightily and moved onto City. After beating City, I tried a few challenges in it and things started clicking into place. It was then that I went back to Asylum and knocked out the combat challenges in 2 days (I did the predator ones before City) and got the platinum. Confidence renewed I went and did City's challenges but stayed away from the campaigns as I barely managed the advanced predator challenges Knights challenges are pretty easy for the most part but the DLC ones are a nightmare. 

My advice, play through City and try them out again. The additional experience might help things click into place for you.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

My advice, play through City and try them out again. The additional experience might help things click into place for you.

Might do but probably will just leave it. 

14 hours ago, MD_91 said:

I had a few issues with button inputs not registering but I certainly wouldn't say the combat is broken

Have to disagree with you on that, definitely broken from my experience and a lot of other say it as well. I'm not sure if the Digital version is supposed to have a patch that maybe fixed some of these issues or if it's one of those that's missing its patch. 

1 hour ago, Woopa777 said:

It isn't broken, but it feels like it is until you get good at it. Keep at it and you will get there :)

Like I've said imo the combat is broken, if i press a button and the game doesn't do it it's broken simple as that lol. You've played the PS4 version, this is the PS3 version, not sure if its better/fixed on the PS4. Another big issue is the camera is absolutely terrible, I'm constantly fighting with the camera because it's spinning round where i can't see anyone, it's just very poor imo and not enjoyable. I'm not fused about getting the plat so will just move on, not worth the frustration. 

• 1 year later...

Last night I started the challenges (Sewer Bat was the first I started) and my best score was just a bit above 6000, I kept playing and my best score before going to bed was a little above 14000, almost got it but I got hit in the 3rd or 4th round and was not able to get that extra 5000 bonus points for not getting hit in the whole challenge. 

What I was doing wrong at the beginning was not doing long combos but after some retries I got better. Earlier today I gave the game challenge a try and was able to get the required score despite getting hit in one of the two latter rounds. What did the trick was performing long combos while doing different moves regardless I got hit in the latter rounds as long as I got another long combo after my first combo was broken. Defeating all enemies in a single combo with 6 - 9 different moves gave me 6000 in the first round.

I was also able to get 18000 points in the first challenge after some retries. I'm confident now that I can get the required score the remaining challenges.

• Like 1

I tried getting the platinum for this game back in 2015–2017, but gave up. Aside from a couple random trophies, I only had hard mode and 80% of challenge mode to go. I used the first few chapters of the hard more playthrough to warm up before heading to my previous save's challenge mode (to achieve 100%). It was a difficult task but still very doable, considering that the biggest roadblock to get the combat challenges done is your mastery and strategic usage of the freeflow combat system.

The biggest difference here was, by far, learning how to time my combos, basically hitting one command at the right time in order to get critical attacks and also to better control your own movements. This also helped me memorize all 9 of your moves and establish an order that works for you. In my case, I always made sure to open up with a combo that included strikes as well as a cape attack until I reached x5 multiplier. As soon I hit it, I would hit the finishing move (TRIANGLE + CIRCLE), preferably on an enemy with a knife or an electric baton so you get rid of them right away. Mastering this last bit made the more difficult challenges manageable. Timing your attacks as well as getting rid of the harder-to-hit enemies as soon as possible make the challenges much more manageable. Afterwards, I would build my combo to x10 and then do the throw move (X + SQUARE). Once that first half was done, I would make sure I'd include both gadget moves, just in case I had forgotten to pepper them in the combo until now. If you do all of this you'll only have the ground takedown (the RD + TRIANGLE one) left. Make sure you're careful doing that one as it can be easily interrupted, and you can get a big score very fast. 

It is harder than it sounds and it does take some time, but eventually you'll start doing combos that have every move available and your score will skyrocket. I remember a couple challenges where I was well over 10k only after the first round. 

I finished all challenges in somewhat short sessions within a couple days. I am now playing the rest of the game on hard, which is the last trophy before getting the platinum. :)

It's finally over for me regarding Combat challenges. For some reason I had more trouble earning 3 stars in Sewer Bat (extreme) than in Shock and Awe (extreme) or Rumble in the Jungle probably due to the smaller room (compared to Rumble in the Jungle - extreme) and the score requirements (50000) and also that I got better at getting longer combos when attempting SaAe and RitJe challenges. 

I was lucky to get a really long combo in the second round of Rumble in the Jungle (extreme) that helped took things easier in the next rounds, in round 3 I almost got my whole health drained but fortunately and to my surprise I got some health back for the final round. A good trick I learned that helped me with the camera angles when Batman goes from one place to another is to quickly move the camera when he is perfoming and unblockable move or a ground and pound move. It also helped to pause the game in some occasions to plan my next move to prevent breaking my combo.

When I first played the challenges I thought it was going to be a platinum breaker for me but in the end practice and practice helped me got better at them so my advice to people going after this platinum is not to give up, you'll get better after each time you play those challenges.

Now with my saved game data backed up to an usb is time to go for the predator challenges which should be easier that is after earning the 40 combo trophy, I think will try it at the Rumble extreme challenge since the lunatics from the free DLC screwed my attempts when I tried to earn that trophy but since that happened before I even played the main game challenges I might be able to earn that trophy in the map as well.

Congrats, man! The predator challenges are definitely easier. No requirements are that crazy but if you ever need help, you can just check a fast run of the level on YouTube. 

I just earned the platinum myself. I had many years-long breaks in betwee, but this platinum took me 8 years lol. The hard mode playthrough made me really appreciate and understand the fighting system. I'm pumped to play the sequels some day soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2024 at 11:07 AM, espjh2 said:

I loaded this up yesterday. Was a PS3 game that I gave up on years ago. It was something that I wanted to try out again. Started on Hard and oh my my goodness gracious me. Could be a long road.

I'm in the same situation now, I hope I can make it. I've been playing PS3 games for a week that I haven't finished yet, and now it's time for Batman after finishing Hotline Miami.