Strange Messaging Trend/Thing Going On PS4

Kurumi-and-Noire

Long Story: So 3 weeks ago I'm just relaxing on PS4 and I get a random message from someone who says hi. So I reply back not knowing who this is. They then reply and I quote "I was just bored browsing on PSN forums and I found you." The conversation goes on until I'm asked to watch them play on an extremely sketchy game site. So I decide to check this out cuz I had nothing really to do. Unfortunately I had to turn them down cuz I don't do credit card information. Conversation about this is over yeah? No. A week after I get another message from someone else who I don't know. After I reply they say the exact same line that the other person from last week did. So I reply and delete the conversation cuz I'm not interested in this. Today... it... happens... again...    Short Story: Is this just a new trend going on where a random person messages you trying to get you to watch the exact same gaming site or am I just missing something? Cuz this happening 3 times to me doesn't seem like a cowinsidense. Please respond if this has happened to you as well or if you know why this is happening. And yes I know ignoring/blocking messages from people I don't know is an option, but I choose to get rid of that option a while back.

Edited by touch44444444
Message mistake

2 minutes ago, Chansey said:

I kept getting random messages and it annoyed me, so I just set it so only friends can. Problem solved.

i love salty hatemail too much to set message to friends only ^^ 

Edited by imOvray
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, touch44444444 said:

Yes we know its spam... I made this topic to see if anyone else had this happen to them and/or had a solution. Not to have someone like you make a remark.

Yes, there's 30 other threads exactly like this one that have been merged already.  These threads are everywhere on this site and elsewhere on other communities for the past few weeks. Sorry you don't like it but I call it like I see it, which is the truth. 

Edited by DARKB1KE

1 minute ago, imOvray said:

last time i checked psn profile forum are free for people to post whatever (reasonable) post they want about whatever they wanna talk so other people that want to talk can contribute. if you're not here to contribute to the conversation feel free to get off the topic and be a smartass somewhere else :).

Yeah I'm allowed to voice my opinion too, or is this only for circle jerking?

I contributed, I told you guys this is nothing new.  Not my fault it's not what you want to hear.  

Edited by DARKB1KE

Yeah this has been happening for a month now or so. It seems to be ramping up as well. 

I'm sure Playstation is looking into ways to filter. None I've encountered have any trophies, so that could be a trigger for them to use. 

Here's the first time I encountered it, I had no Idea this stuff was going on at the time. 

fxEwa8E.png

8oQLvWp.png

Now I just started to send this after checking trophies when I get them. 

Gotta speak their language. And of course report and block. 

01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01110100 00100000 01101100 01100101 01100001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 1

Just a question... Are you guys just refusing to change your PSN message privacy settings filtered to "friends only"? Is there something wrong with only having your PSN friends gain the ability to message you? Because if you be like me and choose the friends only filter you wouldn't be experiencing these problems. In a way you're making yourself vulnerable to these bots by having your filter set to "anyone".

I'd hate to start an argument but I really wanted to put that out there. Like @DARKB1KE said about his statement before, "it's my opinion".

4 minutes ago, Skeptical69 said:

Just a question... Are you guys just refusing to change your PSN message privacy settings filtered to "friends only"? Is there something wrong with only having your PSN friends gain the ability to message you? Because if you be like me and choose the friends only filter you wouldn't be experiencing these problems. In a way you're making yourself vulnerable to these bots by having your filter set to "anyone".

I'd hate to start an argument but I really wanted to put that out there. Like @DARKB1KE said about his statement before, "it's my opinion".

I do understand that as solving it. The only down side is you won't be able to receive any messages from people if they want to say/talk to you that you don't know about something. (Excluding spam bots, trolls, and others like that etc.) That's just what I think though. Also, no, you aren't starting anything, your good. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, imOvray said:

hi

^^ no but seriously i had the same message it's just some dumb russian trying to get credit card info

Lol. Nevermind, it's everywhere around here:).

I got those messages once, but no one asked form me anything, I haven't blocked this person and nothing happening right now with them. They haven't tried to add me as friend or continue conversation.

2 hours ago, Skeptical69 said:

So no cooperation in public lobbies, that simple, unless mic or headset, but if choose between annoying kids screaming and cough to ear or spam messaging, 'course the last one.

Edited by Bloodytears1666