Dualshock 4 issue

maniek515

Hey, I'm having a problem with my DS4. Thing is when I push right analog stick to the right, sometimes it fails to register it. When I keep it pushed to the right, it sometimes registers it as many pushes instead of one constant. Other directions work flawlessly. I'm not really sure since when does it happen, I noticed it while playing Hue. Once I open colour menu by pushing the stick to the right it reappears with pace of PPSh burst, however it's hardly noticible in other games I was checking out. 

I wonder if anyone experienced such malfunction. I suspect the sensor is down but maybe it's some kind of lesser issue which might be managed by myself without sending it to Sony service which I have terrible history with. 

3 minutes ago, AIDA_Tri-Edge said:

How long have you had the controller for?

It honestly sounds like your controller is starting to bite it. Do you drop it often?

10 months old give or take. I dropped it like twice maybe, last time being around week ago, it wasn't that hard of a drop though and that problem I'm talking about came out of blue just few hours ago. 

1 hour ago, maniek515 said:

10 months old give or take. I dropped it like twice maybe, last time being around week ago, it wasn't that hard of a drop though and that problem I'm talking about came out of blue just few hours ago. 

What is the model number? They did a few different revisions. I have two CUH-ZCT1U and one CUH-ZCT2U. One of the ZCT1U that had came with my PS4 ended up having the R2 button fail so it was impossible to play a lot of games because I would have to be using a button config I didn't like. It was also one of those models that had the really bad thumbstick material. The other ZCT1U I bought about two years ago and everything seems just fine with it still. This was the revised model that had come out after all the complaints. It had been my main controller I played with nearly daily, up until 5 days ago. The ZCT2U controller came with my Pro bundle and is the newest 'revised' version of the DS4 so far.

3 hours ago, maniek515 said:

Thing is when I push right analog stick to the right, sometimes it fails to register it.

I have kinda similar issue. Mine just doesn't want to register full motion. I mean, it feels when driving a car for example, I push stick to the right at maximum, but it response on slightly movement. Happens rarely, but in racing it's very annoying. My DS 4 from Slim version, I guess the similar to PSpro's one.

I've gone through 5 DS4s in about 3 years, and I've had the same two PS3 controllers since 2007. These controllers are probably the best I've ever used but they are just not built to last. Always a different issue - USB port failures, left stick sensitivity messing up, right stick sensitivity messing up, triggers just not working anymore, games registering stick movement when I've pressed nothing etc. etc. If there has been a problem that you could possibly have with the DS4 controllers I've been through it - all of these issues happened just outside of warranty as well. I wouldn't even bother with Sony - they charge extortionate prices, and are generally unhelpful with hardware faults anyway.

I would try looking up a video to see how to open up and test your DS4 for common problems, but in my experience this rarely changes anything (only helped with one of my controllers) and you are probably just going to have to buy another one. Do NOT throw away your faulty controller though, if any issues happen with your newer controller they are surprisingly easy to jury rig by swapping parts!

If nothing else, the first step is to reset the controller by holding down the small button near the L2 button with a small paperclip or whatever you have on hand for a seconds, sometimes it just needs to be recalibrated.

3 hours ago, skateak said:

What is the model number? They did a few different revisions. I have two CUH-ZCT1U and one CUH-ZCT2U. One of the ZCT1U that had came with my PS4 ended up having the R2 button fail so it was impossible to play a lot of games because I would have to be using a button config I didn't like. It was also one of those models that had the really bad thumbstick material. The other ZCT1U I bought about two years ago and everything seems just fine with it still. This was the revised model that had come out after all the complaints. It had been my main controller I played with nearly daily, up until 5 days ago. The ZCT2U controller came with my Pro bundle and is the newest 'revised' version of the DS4 so far.

Sorry, forgot to mention. It's ZCT2U, came along with PS4 slim. 

1 hour ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

I have kinda similar issue. Mine just doesn't want to register full motion. I mean, it feels when driving a car for example, I push stick to the right at maximum, but it response on slightly movement. Happens rarely, but in racing it's very annoying. My DS 4 from Slim version, I guess the similar to PSpro's one.

Mhm, seems like exact the same thing. Can't really notice that thing in, for example shooters but some games become unplayable because of it. 

1 hour ago, SkyMason said:

I've gone through 5 DS4s in about 3 years, and I've had the same two PS3 controllers since 2007. These controllers are probably the best I've ever used but they are just not built to last. Always a different issue - USB port failures, left stick sensitivity messing up, right stick sensitivity messing up, triggers just not working anymore, games registering stick movement when I've pressed nothing etc. etc. If there has been a problem that you could possibly have with the DS4 controllers I've been through it - all of these issues happened just outside of warranty as well. I wouldn't even bother with Sony - they charge extortionate prices, and are generally unhelpful with hardware faults anyway.

I would try looking up a video to see how to open up and test your DS4 for common problems, but in my experience this rarely changes anything (only helped with one of my controllers) and you are probably just going to have to buy another one. Do NOT throw away your faulty controller though, if any issues happen with your newer controller they are surprisingly easy to jury rig by swapping parts!

If nothing else, the first step is to reset the controller by holding down the small button near the L2 button with a small paperclip or whatever you have on hand for a seconds, sometimes it just needs to be recalibrated.

I guess I'm just extremely unlucky with DS pads. 4 PS3 pads died on my hands over 2 years (mostly analogs problems, what else ): ) and I ended up using DS4 with PS3 as it is just much more comfortable device in my opinion.

I'm after reseting the controller already, didn't help at all. 

Console is still on warranty so I risk nothing sending it to Sony service but basing on my experience I won't even hope for anything. 

I'm having the same problem, but is turning left ! Happens yesterday. Have mine for 10/11 months, and i really take care of him!! Dont know why this happen's, but its really annoying! What you gonna do ?? I will send him to warranty, but dont know if works! I need to go to the shop who sold me, and ask them. The problem is, is far away from the place i live :/

EDIT: I blow (dont know if this is the correct word) and shake it a little, and now it works :o Lets see for how long

Edited by Natsuu24

By the sound of it there is something interrupting the R3 press. Opening up the joystick, cleaning it up a bit could be enough to fix it. If not, take a look at the L3 and how it makes contact, maybe adding a little electic tape roll to thicken the contact fixes it.

I have never opened a DS4 but I did fix my DS3s like this when they were going crazy because a little section wasn't making contact correctly.

I don't think dependence between where my PS4  is and where pad is while playing is the case. Console is always at the same spot and I always play from same place. And reseting pad...  well,  been there already. 

19 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

By the sound of it there is something interrupting the R3 press. Opening up the joystick, cleaning it up a bit could be enough to fix it. If not, take a look at the L3 and how it makes contact, maybe adding a little electic tape roll to thicken the contact fixes it.

I have never opened a DS4 but I did fix my DS3s like this when they were going crazy because a little section wasn't making contact correctly.

I opened DS4 once after I spilled a little bit of beer on it and d-pad was kinda sticky :) And I opened lots od DS3's, some of them I managed to fix but I didn't really care if I actually fix them or break to the point of no return because they were freaking cheap. However I took my chance with Sony service as DS4 prices (or any other pad compatible with PS4) are pretty high unlike PS3 pads and I wasn't so confident to do more complex repairs myself and risk turning it into paper button.

Will let you guys know how it went, when I get it back. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried to replace the battery on one of these things?  I have one PS4 controller that won't charge, and another one where the R2 button isn't really responsive.  Was thinking of trading batteries if it's worth it.  Guess it doesn't really matter if I trash these things.

Agree that the PS3 controllers last.  I have 3 of them that are great, one that is wearing out.  On my 4th PS4 controller, damn.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lorajet said:

Has anyone tried to replace the battery on one of these things?  I have one PS4 controller that won't charge, and another one where the R2 button isn't really responsive.  Was thinking of trading batteries if it's worth it.  Guess it doesn't really matter if I trash these things.

Agree that the PS3 controllers last.  I have 3 of them that are great, one that is wearing out.  On my 4th PS4 controller, damn.

Switching battery is very simple. You can even put DS3 battery into DS4 cause they're the same. There are many tutorials on YT showing how to do that and it doesn't require any knowledge whatsoever. 

Do you use original wire to charge pads (the one that came with the console)? If no, try it. 

• Like 1

Going back to my original post, today I got my pad back. Well, most likely it isn't ''my'' pad as serial number is different so my guess it's regenerated piece but I've been playing for couple of hours and everything seems to be fine so far + I love how clean it is compared to one I sent them ?

9 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

even though I don't have any calibration issue with my ps4 controller but can't even tear open the DS4 :(

something seem to keep holding the controller like a glue once you remove the screws...

DS4 has clamps (don't know if it's the right word in english) inside. It's pretty silly as screws are perfectly enough to keep it together but whatever. I was also worried 1st time I was opening it but you actually have to put some force into seperating two halves. Tear it apart gently if it makes sense :)

9 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

something seem to keep holding the controller like a glue once you remove the screws...

If its anything like the DS3 yoy have to press with your thumb using A LOT of force in the lower part between the sticks. There is a little plastic part that attaches to the front side of the controller.

5 hours ago, maniek515 said:

Going back to my original post, today I got my pad back. Well, most likely it isn't ''my'' pad as serial number is different so my guess it's regenerated piece but I've been playing for couple of hours and everything seems to be fine so far + I love how clean it is compared to one I sent them 1f604.png

DS4 has clamps (don't know if it's the right word in english) inside. It's pretty silly as screws are perfectly enough to keep it together but whatever. I was also worried 1st time I was opening it but you actually have to put some force into seperating two halves. Tear it apart gently if it makes sense :)

4 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

If its anything like the DS3 yoy have to press with your thumb using A LOT of force in the lower part between the sticks. There is a little plastic part that attaches to the front side of the controller.

thanks i'll try it it soon if anything gone wrong with the controller, the reason why I wanted to tear open my controller in the first place was that the right thumb stick got some stuttering issue, couldn't manage to open the controller to see what's wrong with it but luckily I found a solution on a YouTube video.

to fix the stuttering thumb stick issues on any controller without the need to tear it open, all you need is an air can ( or just use the traditional way..... the air inside your lungs ) just blow some air on the thumb stick " specifically make sure the air goes inside the controller from the hole of the affected thumb stick" then keep clicking it ( case of ps3/ps4 it's the L3 and R3 ) enough times while doing a circles with the affected thumb stick... the stuttering should be fixed, i'm not the making things up but this have actually works! the stuttering on my ps4 controller have gone, I did it on a ps3 controller that I stopped using it for years and the stuttering on its both sticks have gone.