A new colossus review

It has been a few weeks now from the time wolfenstein the new colossus came out and there has been a lot of things needed to be said about this, I will put both my own thoughts on this review for you to see while also trying to be fair to the game in my view point, and another note to say that is needed to be said before I go on to the review, there will be story spoils of both the ending of new order and starting parts with this games story, with that said let's start.

The set up this time takes place after the ending of the new order, Deathshead before dying of blood loss thanks to Bj stabbing him, pulls out a bomb and blows them both up , killing Deathshead and badly hurting BJ and is close to death, while going in and out of being awake and being in a kind of dream state. While in the dream like state you get to see how Bj's father treated him when he was a kid and get to redo the choice you did in the new order that was made from the start. 5 months later Bj wakes up and is barely able to stand as he hops onto the nearby wheelchair and starts to gun down all the Nazis who has attacked the boat he is on and have taken a few of Bj's friends, after meeting up with Anya and what is left of the old cast from new order that was not taken by the Nazis they end up seeing Caroline get taken along with who ever it was you picked from the start taken and while this happens you get to see the Nazi leader who gave the order of the attack that being Frau engel. Now I could go on but am going to stop right there for the set up as I think I said a lot there for you guys to get an idea of the set up and who is bad and good and so on, so here comes the real part of the review, we will start off with the good as always.

Just like the other wolfenstein games, this game has done well in making the guns feel powerful and making you feel powerful when getting to duel wield both shotguns and smgs but they let you now to dual wield anything, no longer will you need to ether use two handguns and smgs est, now you can have any of them, want a handgun in the left hand and a shotgun in the other? Go for it, it is a lot of fun getting to crush the hell out of Nazi scum with all the power of duel wielding and making short work of enemies if you picked the right gear for the job. Another good part is that they added weapon upgrades boxes that are hidden in all the levels that let you make your guns more useful in the field, just like the 2009 wolfenstein did with the shops you get to mod the guns to have added things, like have a handgun be like a magnum while being silent or a smg be a nail gun, it all works well and makes it a lot of fun to play. But with all good things there is bad and sadly that is where a lot of the review is sadly, but here goes the bad.

Just like the new order they added a lot of cutscenes and mainly want to force you to get to like people in this game while stopping the gunplay and trying to make you care for both bj and the new characters, and sadly there is less game in this then the last one. It is more walk forward cutscene that takes up to about 10 or even 15mins long of game time, it is boring and what wolfenstein should not be and the most sadist part is that there is no real boss fights in this unlike the last games that had them. The difficulty in this game is a lot more brutal and while it is good to make the game hard as the last ones were for the most part somewhat easy unless on hard or very hard to make it more of a challenge this game does it in the wrong way as all the enemies are dealing a lot more dmg then normal, even on normal mode they can kill you in about 5secs of just opening fire on you even with 50 or 100 armour on. Another problem is there is no sound ques to tell if a bomb is throw near you or footsteps are close unlike the last one that did show all of this and it may come off sounding like it is nothing on paper it effects you doing stealth. So if your trying to do stealth you won't be able to hear if an enemy is close to you or not and that could mean the difference between life or death if say your trying to hide from a robot that can one hit kill you. And while I could go on I think it is time to get to the final thoughts on this and as normal let's do the small recap of both things spoken and not.

The good.

• Powerful feeling guns.
  • Great looking game.
  • Very fun take downs when done right in stealth.
  • Weapon upgrades/ mods.
  • Can distract enemies when trying to do stealth.

The bad.

• Forced bonds with old and new characters you may or may not like.
  • Boring story that is mostly a copy of new orders and feels like more might be just dlc. 
  • Unbalanced difficulty and can be unfair.
  • No sound ques of enemies being close or bombs throw near you.
  • No boss fights.
  • Not much gunplay.
  • Stealth does not work as well as before.
  • No new game plus or chapter select unlike before.

The final thought.

I am sadly going to be doing abit of a mini rant here as I had alot of hope for this game and it disappointed a lot and feels like a game of 1 step forward and 1 yard step back. I hope what I have to say is fair and my reasons behind them too. As I said before I went into this game thinking it would be great or even better then the last ones as the old blood done all the things right and was a blast to play, in this I was forced to do all the things I hated in wolfenstein new order and I hated it, the new cast of characters made me hate it even more and the unfunny jokes and puns done in this was just childish and made me want to stop as I was bored of sitting there waiting to get control back to kill Nazis. I think this game is fun a lot of fun when you get to kill Nazis and blow up robots but the problems make it unfun, as I said before about the unbalanced difficulty the game is just not fun on the hardest setting as you are made to play it like a Cod game then a wolfenstein game, having to hide behind cover and shoot them like a coward because if you try to do anything other then that your dead within 5secs, you can't even jump over a box and go to town on them while being overcharged and have 100 armor or even 200 as you will die in just 6 shots from a normal Nazi trooper and without sound ques to tell if enemies are close or far you will die a lot and it is not you to blame for them deaths. Not only that it also feels as if the game is trying too hard to be a run and gun and it just fails to be that as you need to reload all the time and you need to be in a big open place to do any kind of run and gunning something that Doom 2016 did well. However when you can kill 5 guys with duel wield shotguns you feel powerful and have a lot of fun and the problem is there is so little of them moments and that is a shame, a damn shame really as the guns are powerful and is fun to use.

All and all I feel like the £50 price tag is both a joke and rip off as this is not a real Wolfenstein game, this is a game trying to be both Doom 2016 along with wolfenstein and with the reuse of the plot of new order but with some parts changed to make it a new kind of story kinda of what the movie evil dead 2 did but that movie did it well while here it failed badly. And added to the list of problems with this game is all the small side quests here, that can't really make up for the price tag as you go to the same places with just a mission of go here to kill so and so and get nothing but pointless gold items that do nothing and items that give you abilities that won't be of any use as it comes in later on in the end parts of the game. And reusing the same places you went to already in the story to do them as well and when everything is said and done there is nothing to do it and that just screams lazy worst of all there is no new game plus or chapter select to go back and use all the crazy upgraded stuff you worked hard to get and that is just sad as the gunplay is fun and it is just wasted.

I could go on and on but we will be here forever if I did so I will just get to my rating of this game. I give it a rating of and this kills me a lot, a hell of a lot, I give it a 2.6/5 and I wouldn't recommend it as it is just overly priced for a game with not much gunplay to it unlike the other games and a boring story that tries too hard to be funny when it is not and unbalanced difficulty that will kill you a lot for just trying to play It like a normal wolfenstein game, your better off getting both wolfenstein new order and old blood and letting this new colossus sleep till maybe it is at around £20 or $20 as there is hardly nothing here to really go back to and that is problem with it as there was more with the older ones.

I hope you enjoyed my review and I hope it helped you as well and as always if you have any feedback on the reviews I do just let me know down below as am trying my best to review things in a fair and unbiased review and outlook as well.

Next I will review ether red dead revolver or metro 2033 or maybe something else, till then I see you on the next review.

Edited by KANERKB
  • Like 2

Game Informer gave it 98, IGN a 91, GameSpot 90, Polygon 90. It is currently sitting at a Metacritic of 89. Karak (ACG) gave it an obvious buy. Your review came across as heavily biased with your "Mini-rant". I don't mean to bash you and your review, but its clear that you tried to nitpick. Looking forward to your next review. Just my two cents, maybe someone found your review helpful.

• Like 1

Huh? There’s sound cues when grenades are thrown all the time. Pretty distinct actually. Only time I haven’t heard it was when 2 were thrown at me at once. I also don’t get why people are complaining there’s no new game plus. You can revisit almost everything after the story, new game plus just wouldn’t be beneficial at all. The upgrades and weapons are given to you so early it wouldn’t make really any difference. I think they’ve done a nice job of it. Chapter select would be nice to practice Mein Leben, but you can always make saves before the hard parts. The game is pretty generous with the amount of saves you get. Other than that, nice review. Didn’t get time to read it all unfortunately.

One more thing, the game is heavily based on story for a reason. It wouldn’t make sense for them to not want you to get close with the characters. It’s like complaining about a JN having too much reading.

Edited by Dark

39 minutes ago, ShadowSigmaX said:

Game Informer gave it 98, IGN a 91, GameSpot 90, Polygon 90. It is currently sitting at a Metacritic of 89. Karak (ACG) gave it an obvious buy. Your review came across as heavily biased with your "Mini-rant". I don't mean to bash you and your review, but its clear that you tried to nitpick. Looking forward to your next review. Just my two cents, maybe someone found your review helpful.

Thanks for the feedback, but I don't seem to understand what you meant about me being biased on my mini rant, as the mini rant was my own thoughts from when I got really annoyed with the game and it never effected the score, as 2.6 is a good but flawed game from my point of view.

34 minutes ago, Dark said:

Huh? There’s sound cues when grenades are thrown all the time. Pretty distinct actually. Only time I haven’t heard it was when 2 were thrown at me at once. I also don’t get why people are complaining there’s no new game plus. You can revisit almost everything after the story, new game plus just wouldn’t be beneficial at all. The upgrades and weapons are given to you so early it wouldn’t make really any difference. I think they’ve done a nice job of it. Chapter select would be nice to practice Mein Leben, but you can always make saves before the hard parts. The game is pretty generous with the amount of saves you get. Other than that, nice review. Didn’t get time to read it all unfortunately.

Thanks for the feedback, but I think they should give you a choice to redo the game with all the upgrades as wolfenstein 2009 did that and it was fun to replay the whole game with them upgraded weapons and to the sound ques I never heard them at all and when I died to them, like there is no beeping sound or tapping sound or anything that can be heard when in a fire fight.

Edited by KANERKB

49 minutes ago, KANERKB said:

Thanks for the feedback, but I think they should give you a choice to redo the game with all the upgrades as wolfenstein 2009 did that and it was fun to replay the whole game with them upgraded weapons and to the sound ques I never heard them at all and when I died to them, like there is no beeping sound or tapping sound or anything that can be heard when in a fire fight.

But like I said, it wouldn’t make much difference since you can fully upgrade things really early on. The grenade drop sounds are really distinct, I’ve heard other people state the same too. Without it, you’d always be dying from grenades since the indicator is next to useless. I don’t really know what you mean by “stealth doesn’t work as well as before”? The stealth works fine, there’s not much they could do to improve it. Can you elaborate? The review was alright but you complained about a lot of small insignificant things. I couldn’t read the entirety of your so called “mini-rant” as it was just your extended review, nothing else. No offense, but the entire “review” was just pretty much you trying to build your perfect game. To say your 2.6/5 review “hurts” and then continue to point out things such as unbalanced difficulty when there’s 7 difficulty options, is a joke.

Edited by Dark

1 hour ago, ShadowSigmaX said:

Game Informer gave it 98, IGN a 91, GameSpot 90, Polygon 90. It is currently sitting at a Metacritic of 89.

Game review websites live off ad space and early review copies. Obviously they're not going to bite one of the big publishers that feeds them.

User reviews are far more reliable and trustworthy.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Superbuu3 said:

@KANERKB Your mini rant is the same length as your review. That really damages the quality of the review and is very hard to not take it as you just outright disliking the game. Do some more and I'm sure you'll nail it eventually.

Thanks for the feedback, I do dislike it a lot but the score for it was in my mind fair as 2.6 is over normal, 2 is normal and the middle of good 5 is flawless and I came around it with all outlooks for someone who wants replay for it, wants story and so on but I will come clean I won't be able to please everyone's outlook as I won't fully get all of them.

Edited by KANERKB

2 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

Game review websites live off ad space and early review copies. Obviously they're not going to bite one of the big publishers that feeds them.

I stopped believing that when Mass Effect 3 was getting bombarded 1/10's because of an underwhelming ending.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

I think the same that is why I came into reviewing things, as I want to give my view points and reasons behind things not just give 10/10 like it is candy as to me everything has a flaw nothing is flawless.

14 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

Thats why I also mentioned Karak (runs the ACG youtube channel).

1 minute ago, KANERKB said:

I think the same that is why I came into reviewing things, as I want to give my view points and reasons behind things not just give 10/10 like it is candy as to me everything has a flaw nothing is flawless.

See my above comment. I mentioned Karak (runs the ACG youtube channel). He doesnt give two minute reviews with all the sponsored bullcrap like he says at the beginning of all his reviews. Karak is my go to guy for all my video game reviews.

Edited by ShadowSigmaX

1 minute ago, ShadowSigmaX said:

See my above comment. I mentioned Karak (runs the ACG youtube channel). He doesnt give two minute reviews with all the sponsored bullcrap like he says at the beginning of all his reviews. Karak is my go to guy for all my video game reviews.

Well glad you think he is good, I think he is ok but never really liked him much.

1 minute ago, KANERKB said:

I think mass effect 3 should of got more then 1 as an ending does not ruin the whole game.

Well yeah.  That's the rational way of looking at it.

Critic reviews are paid for, user reviews are retarded.  The solution?  Take everything you read with a grain of salt, and try/judge games for yourself.  Even if you end up getting burned a few times by bad games.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Well yeah.  That's the rational way of looking at it.

Critic reviews are paid for, user reviews are retarded.  The solution?  Take everything you read with a grain of salt, and try/judge games for yourself.  Even if you end up getting burned a few times by bad games.

Yeah, I don't get payed but what is to say someone who does what I do or even me is lying and or just hates it and so on, I mean we all like what we like, i never liked it for a lot problems I said in my mini rant but people might like it, that is why I never say the whole story unless there is hardly none to speak of like say Doom 1 or 2. Also people hated a lot on a game like dead island and I like it, not everyones the same and I try my best to give my outlook of all ways and if it fails well am sorry it failed but I hope my outlook/review helps others if it can.

Edited by KANERKB

9 minutes ago, KANERKB said:

Yeah, I don't get payed but what is to say someone who does what I do or even me is lying and or just hates it and so on, I mean we all like what we like, i never liked it for a lot problems I said in my mini rant but people might like it, that is why I never say the whole story unless there is hardly none to speak of like say Doom 1 or 2. Also people hated a lot on a game like dead island and I like it, not everyones the same and I try my best to give my outlook of all ways and if it fails well am sorry it failed but I hope my outlook/review helps others if it can.

You're entitled to your opinions, and people are entitled to disagree with you.  I'm sure that your effort is appreciated, but posting stuff publicly like that will lead to criticism/scrutiny.  Take their advice and learn from it for your next reviews.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

You're entitled to your opinions, and people are entitled to disagree with you.  I'm sure that your effort is appreciated, but posting stuff publicly like that will lead to scrutiny.  Take their advice and learn from it for your next reviews.

I am, am open to all the outlooks of people to help me get better in a review. But if I dislike it and I do a rant from now on I will make sure I put down it does not effect the score just my own outlook on it. And while I did review this game I did a review of old blood and new order along with white noise 2.

Edited by KANERKB

Reviews are opinion based so keep your rant on there, I will go on tangents as well when reviewing games and it all adds up to being more information for the person reading it to gauge wether they agree or disagree with your review in whole.  Some people can be swayed when you stop being a robot and just speak from your heart about the personal issues you have with the game itself.  

15 minutes ago, Muskratateer said:

Reviews are opinion based so keep your rant on there, I will go on tangents as well when reviewing games and it all adds up to being more information for the person reading it to gauge wether they agree or disagree with your review in whole.  Some people can be swayed when you stop being a robot and just speak from your heart about the personal issues you have with the game itself.  

Thanks for the feedback dude, I will keep it and try to keep that in mind so I can make the next one better as I like to know all this stuff of what others say and think and all that.

Your sentences are often too long and cover too many subjects in succession. It makes it hard to follow what you're talking about at all times. It feels like you go off on a passionate tangent here and there causing you to make really long sentences with seemingly no pauses in between just like the sentence you're reading right now and it makes it very difficult to follow if you see what I mean now.

I would also keep my final thoughts a lot more summarized. Perhaps transfer some of your opinions to the actual review itself. The final thoughts should act like a nutshell, or a quick summary of your feelings. Perhaps a swift recommendation regarding purchase of said game? 

Good effort. Sad you couldn't enjoy the game as much as others. I still enjoy the old Return to Castle Wolfenstein on PC, to be honest. Was hoping it would be kind of like that one.  

Edited by Paige-ID
  • Like 2