God of War Series

PipeSwinger

I've been looking into God of War Ascension. I played the beta for it back in January. I have God of War III, but honestly haven't played much of it. It looks very neat though. Do I need to play the full series to understand whats going on. Or can I just jump right in with God of War Ascension? Thanks to all who answer! 

Thanks guys! I'm strongly considering going back and at least playing some of the older ones. I've always been fascinated with Greek Mythology as well. :D

You definitely should. I'm sure you'll be able to get the HD collections fairly cheap nowadays, and they all have great moments in them ;)

• Like 1

Why don't you complete God of War 3 first?

I love the series, currently going through all the games again to 100% the lot.

Honestly, the only reason I haven't played God of War III yet is because I got Tomb Raider so I've been really enjoying that :D . I'm going to definitely play God of War III before Ascension. 

• Like 1

I'd do what the Dr. says and buy the complete God of War collection and play those. Sure Ascension may be a prologue to all the other games, but I feel it's better to get the story in order of when the games were released. Maybe that's just me.

Parker

I believe Ascension is a prequel to the trilogy so you could play it first followed by 1, 2 and 3

Dont forget the psp versions chains of olympus and ghost of sparta. Not only are they great games but explains some of the back story mentioned in 1, 2, and 3.