If it wasn't for assist mode, the platinum difficulty rating of this would've been a 10/10.

Crzy Minus

33 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

…or maybe, instead of requesting that the developers change thier game to cater for thier own lack of restraint,  gamers could exercise a modicum of self-control, and realise they don’t need to use Assist Mode options just because they are there.

If they enjoy the game without any assists, and earn the platinum that way, that’s great! more power to them - way to climb that mountain, dudes and dudesses!

Why does someone else earning it with Assist Mode make a difference to them? They still did the thing!

They could try…

…I don’t know…

…simply knowing that they are “superior gamers”…

…without needing a special, newly implemented trophy list to tell them so?

That's in an ideal world, but we all know that trophy hunting has been besmirched by all these assists, autopops, shareplay etc. Trophies don't mean as much as it used to.

Also, since trophy hunting is a clear part of the Playstation experience, and since rarity rate is included in each trophy description, it does matter. Competition is embedded within the trophy list element.

Heck, we're even discussing it on a third party dedicated forum!

Anyone here who'd say they only hunt trophies for their own enjoyment and totally not to show off a little, discuss it, compete... would be downright a hypocrite. 

13 hours ago, bosstristan said:

That's in an ideal world, but we all know that trophy hunting has been besmirched by all these assists, autopops, shareplay etc. Trophies don't mean as much as it used to.

Also, since trophy hunting is a clear part of the Playstation experience, and since rarity rate is included in each trophy description, it does matter. Competition is embedded within the trophy list element.

Anyone here who'd say they only hunt trophies for their own enjoyment and totally not to show off a little, discuss it, compete... would be downright a hypocrite. 

There’s a world of difference between being pleased that you earn a trophy implemented by a developer, and discussing it/ proudly displaying it / bragging a little…

…and actively requesting a developer implement new trophies, just because you don’t feel like the existing ones are “exclusive” enough to sufficiently meet those desires.

Of course we all like displaying a hard-won trophy - I do it plenty, (or at least, on the rare occasion I actually earn a hard one)…

…but what I don’t do is start grumbling that games should get new, harder trophies, just to give me that opportunity.

If folks want a hard game with a hard list, there’s plenty of them out there for the playing.

Also.... don't say "we all know"... and then proceed to state something we don't, in fact, all know.... or agree with.

Trophy Hunting is fine. Its a hobby, and one plenty of us still enjoy. The only thing "besmirching it", is the incessant fart-party that wannabe-elitists have turned some corners of it into with their constant whining that not every developer is acquiescing to their gaming godliness with exclusionary practices.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 2:14 PM, bosstristan said:

Ok not to be a dick here(trust me guys, I'm not just throwing shade) 

Trophies never really meant anything.

Saying trophy hunting is competitive is also a big reach.

If your in a group chat, or a event like say the ultra rare clean up.

You would be in a environment were having a good list without autopops, stacks or pay to platinum may be important.

But for everyone else who doesn't follow your made up standards of a self imposed rule set(again no shade throwing, this is just a objective statement)

This is pretty much the were everyone trophy hunting argument should end.

If someone doesn't earn trophies to your standards, then simply find a like minded group of trophy boyz.

If not then just move on, because their doesn't exist a universal trophy hunting meta.

Unless you go be the leaderboard (but we all know that's ass)

Do you enjoy ultra hunting? Good go get them sub 5.1 percent trophies.

You like having a account with 3 digits at the top that shows you have done every single trophy. Also good.

You love doing hard ass Japanese games that give you the feeling that something is fucking you in your ass like me? Ummmmmm... Good?

I think you may see the point.

How can something be completive or really mean something when every trophy hunter has their own style of play and goals?

No one is really on the same playing field, I'm playing baseball wanting to be the best pitcher.

Your playing basketball and want to be a top point guard.

Figure it out.

On 7/17/2023 at 4:54 PM, JohnCenaSong- said:

Totally. There's being happy and proud to have done something and sharing that/comparing with friends and likeminded folk etc. then there's needing one of these badges to exist on your profile to incessantly shove in everyone's faces. These are two different things, they may sound alike to some but they are not.

The list is the list and we all know you can always do more beyond the platinum in any games as well so to complain that every difficult thing you want to do in the game isn't reflected in a trophy for you to get bragging rights would just seem silly to me and where do you draw the line. Those who may cry that certain challenges aren't in the list or some trophies can be obtained with assist mode may very well have a 'harder' game on their list at 100% trophies which maybe some speedrunner out there probably thinks is also too easy and could/should have had trophies for 'xyz', maybe they're bummed that someone else can also have the platinum without having to come anywhere near their hard earned speedrun times xD. Higher level play will always exceed the trophy lists. If you care about being good at the game then be good at the game, trophies are not really an indicator of skill anyway and mostly just act as small rewards for going through the game content the developer loosely wanted to encourage you to do (assuming they even cared at all and didn't just arbitrarily make a list because they had to). 

Trophies can inspire you to do things you might otherwise not have tried but you shouldn't need a trophy to make you to do something, you're allowed to challenge yourself without a trophy at the end and without everyone giving you a pat on the back.

And this is pretty much perfect.

Trophy hunting is pretty casual and really just comes down to having lots of time.

I I would not want trophy hunting to be any other way.

Being able to earn digital stamps essentially with some kind of skill is perfect.

If I want to be competitive in gaming I'll just do speed running, local fighting game events or go pc.

I see trophy hunting akin to working out in the gym, I'm there to build my body the best I can(for me) with my goals in mind.

I don't go there to silently or opening judge others on how they reached their own personal goals.

But we can always motivate others on own their journey and share are experiences together.

To me that's what the real spirit of trophy hunting is.

I'm kind of a challenge enthusiast, so typically I usually seek the path of most resistance in my trophy lists.

I've done Resogun Commando mode solo, RE4 Remake Pro S rank with no bonus items, Furi Hardest S Rank no Save scrum, Doom 2 all levels on Nightmare no saves only starting with the freaking handgun, etc, etc.

I didn't need a trophy to tell me to do those things nor did I need those tasks to be known to the community of psnp.

It was just fun.

Someone doing the bear minimum didn't take away from my personal satisfaction.

Ok that's my pointless and needless post over.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...