If it wasn't for assist mode, the platinum difficulty rating of this would've been a 10/10.

Crzy Minus

1 hour ago, Vulpine9Tails said:

You also don't get to tell someone they can't play a particular game because of it. It's called Assist Mode not Beat the Whole Game for Me Mode.

I'm with everyone saying who cares because honestly it's in the game, and if I want to use it I will. 

I never said people can't use assist mode, I just don't understand why people would want to play Celeste if they don't like difficult platforming. You'd get the same experience from watching the dialogue on YouTube. And it certainly isn't equal parts story and gameplay, not sure where you heard that.

Besides, it literally might as well beat the whole game for you if you turn on every assist. Invincibility plus infinite dashes means you can ignore pretty much everything you can interact with, and just fly through every level mashing the dash button. I just don't see the fun in that.

Interesting how people are declaring people's intentions so arrogantly and broadly.

Trophies can be part of the challenge that extends beyond the game. A game may not be difficult to beat, but what kind of proficiency would you need to develop to no-damage a boss? Games and play on both fields with their trophies. Sol Cresta, for example, has difficulty modes that are for brand new players or those who don't play shmups often. But the trophies require you to no-damage every mission on Normal or higher. 

I do it for the sport. Same reason why people play chess, same reason why people play other things competitively. Being stimulated through challenge helps keep you sharp. People can play games to relax, that's fine. But those who are willing to put the work in should be served and rewarded more than the lowest common denominator who jumps from game to game due to FOMO. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I do it for the sport. Same reason why people play chess, same reason why people play other things competitively. Being stimulated through challenge helps keep you sharp. People can play games to relax, that's fine. But those who are willing to put the work in should be served and rewarded more than the lowest common denominator who jumps from game to game due to FOMO. 

The reward you feel from unlocking trophies can be intrinsic too though. Rarity of the platinum trophy shouldn't be used as gatekeeping tactics to make people feel bad for how they choose to play the game. I'm someone who generally likes platforming games but I don't see the point in spending a ton of hours to "git gud" when the developer has implemented an assist mode that is accessible to anyone who turns the game on. It's literally a case of do what you want but people have decided that a hobby meant for fun needs to have arbitrary rules.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CB7Tuner91 said:

Oh I agree the game is brilliant. It's just I don't think having the game extremely hard or extremely easy is the way to balance your game. Ive played plenty of platformers that hit that sweet spot, and this guy seems talented enough to balance his games better going forward. 

I can see where you’re coming from. I’m not hugely experienced with 2D/retro platformers but I got the sense playing Celeste that it was intentionally developed more for that veteran crowd that has played these kinds of games for 20 years and is generally very good at them. I think the Assist Mode was a reasonable compromise to offer a balance and open the game up for less experienced players like myself though, it doesn’t punish you for using it and it allows you to use as much of it, or as little of it, as suits the individual. I thought it was neat anyhow. Devs usually aren’t so generous, especially if they go out of their way to make a hard game just for the sake of it.

1 hour ago, Vulpine9Tails said:

The reward you feel from unlocking trophies can be intrinsic too though. Rarity of the platinum trophy shouldn't be used as gatekeeping tactics to make people feel bad for how they choose to play the game. I'm someone who generally likes platforming games but I don't see the point in spending a ton of hours to "git gud" when the developer has implemented an assist mode that is accessible to anyone who turns the game on. It's literally a case of do what you want but people have decided that a hobby meant for fun needs to have arbitrary rules.

I'm not sure why you brought up rarity in context to my post; but the challenge should be crafted by the designer for the player. 

Implementing methods to circumvent the design then circumvents the purpose for doing it.

1 minute ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I'm not sure why you brought up rarity in context to my post; but the challenge should be crafted by the designer for the player. 

Implementing methods to circumvent the design then circumvents the purpose for doing it.

You're contradicting yourself. The designer of the game is the one who put the exploit in and never disabled trophies. They decided this was part of the game to be used by whomever wants to use it. And now all these people are gatekeeping the platinum because their precious rarity gets wrecked if more people platinum the game. I'm feeling especially petty today and I kind of want to start up the game now and just use assist mode all the way through if it's that easy to do. The game has been on PlayStation since 2018 and is on ps extra, it's time to let it go. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Vulpine9Tails said:

What do you think accessibility is for?

For people who are in need because of disabilities. Me complaining about people that are clearly not in need of accessibility is now put on the same level as me complaining about a blind person having a support dog. Don't you see the absurdity in that statement.

Look, people can use assist mode all they want, it is something that the developers included.

Do I like it? No.

Do I like it when an assist mode gets introduced, after people have spent time and effort into trophies, which then become a complete joke? No, I fucking don't.

But what really fucking grinds my gears is, when I voice my opinion, suddenly all those holy saints come up and tell me: "its for the disabled, dont you want disabled people to enjoy the games?"

Yes, I do want them to enjoy a hobby that otherwise wouldnt be possible for them. Does that necessarily include trophy hunting as well? Is that really something you believe disabled people care about that much, that everyone else who want trophies disabled in assist modes suddenly deserves to be mocked and shamed for?

Those holy saints acting as if that's really the reason they get up in their arms is fucking pathetic, embarassing and dishonest. The only thing most of these armchair warriors care about is getting their trophies easily and me just calling it out how it is, is met with personal attacks, shaming and labeling as an elitist and gatekeeper, not realizing they themselves become the very thing they accuse me and other people of.

Tell me, why is it so fucking bad, when I voice my disappointment that yet another game gets assist mode and doesn't disable trophies. Am I not allowed to have my opinion? Do I not have a right to be disappointed without getting shit on?

Do you actually believe my goal is to stop disabled people from enjoying themselves?

5 hours ago, Vulpine9Tails said:

You think that because someone was born with a disability or became disabled now they aren't allowed to earn platinums just because a few people care about rarity? Yikes. 

It's not about not being allowed to. Many simply are not able to, at least when it comes to challenging games, assist mode doesn't change that all of the sudden. Have you actually looked into the accessbility controller, Playstation is going to launch in December? Have you actually looked into who this controller was made for? Do you really want to tell me, these people suddenly turn into god gamers because they have an accessibility controller and mode, giving them more health, more attack damage, more jumps, whatever?

This controller is first and foremost created for disabled people to play games without having their handicaps getting in the way of that. Not because, so they can earn trophies in some challenging game. Jesus Christ man, always this fucking pretending of: "We only think of the disabled people man, we really do care about them".

What do you think, how many people who use assist mode, are actually disabled? And what do you think how many people are using assist mode to get through the game without too much effort. And what do you think how man people are using assist mode to just get their trophy fix?

And then tell me, what do you think who gets all angry and loud and shames and blames and labels others the most, when someone voices any criticsm or complaint? It's weird, I have never been called out by a disabled person for being an elitist or gatekeeper, but countless times by people who apparently are in no need of such accessibilites, yet still use them.

Just to hammer this down and to make this crystal clear. I am not shaming people for using assist mode. I am disappointed when assist mode exists and trophies do not get disabled.

However I cannot fucking stand it, when people who use assist modes for their own advantage, who are clearly not in need of such features, suddenly rise up and tell me, I am a fucking asshole for voicing my opinion and disappointment and pretend they do all this in the name of the poor disabled people. It's dishonest.

Edited by Mori
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Mori said:

For people who are in need because of disabilities. Me complaining about people that are clearly not in need of accessibility is now put on the same level as me complaining about a blind person having a support dog. Don't you see the absurdity in that statement.

Look, people can use assist mode all they want, it is something that the developers included.

Do I like it? No.

Do I like it when an assist mode gets introduced, after people have spent time and effort into trophies, which then become a complete joke? No, I fucking don't.

But what really fucking grinds my gears is, when I voice my opinion, suddenly all those holy saints come up and tell me: "its for the disabled, dont you want disabled people to enjoy the games?"

Yes, I do want them to enjoy a hobby that otherwise wouldnt be possible for them. Does that necessarily include trophy hunting as well? Is that really something you believe disabled people care about that much, that everyone else who want trophies disabled in assist modes suddenly deserves to be mocked and shamed for?

Those holy saints acting as if that's really the reason they get up in their arms is fucking pathetic, embarassing and dishonest. The only thing most of these armchair warriors care about is getting their trophies easily and me just calling it out how it is, is met with personal attacks, shaming and labeling as an elitist and gatekeeper, not realizing they themselves become the very thing they accuse me and other people of.

Tell me, why is it so fucking bad, when I voice my disappointment that yet another game gets assist mode and doesn't disable trophies. Am I not allowed to have my opinion? Do I not have a right to be disappointed without getting shit on?

Do you actually believe my goal is to stop disabled people from enjoying themselves?

It's not about not being allowed to. Many simply are not able to, at least when it comes to challenging games, assist mode doesn't change that all of the sudden. Have you actually looked into the accessbility controller, Playstation is going to launch in December? Have you actually looked into who this controller was made for? Do you really want to tell me, these people suddenly turn into god gamers because they have an accessibility controller and mode, giving them more health, more attack damage, more jumps, whatever?

This controller is first and foremost created for disabled people to play games without having their handicaps getting in the way of that. Not because, so they can earn trophies in some challenging game. Jesus Christ man, always this fucking pretending of: "We only think of the disabled people man, we really do care about them".

What do you think, how many people who use assist mode, are actually disabled? And what do you think how many people are using assist mode to get through the game without too much effort. And what do you think how man people are using assist mode to just get their trophy fix?

And then tell me, what do you think who gets all angry and loud and shames and blames and labels others the most, when someone voices any criticsm or complaint? It's weird, I have never been called out by a disabled person for being an elitist or gatekeeper, but countless times by people who apparently are in no need of such accessibilites, yet still use them.

Just to hammer this down and to make this crystal clear. I am not shaming people for using assist mode. I am disappointed when assist mode exists and trophies do not get disabled.

However I cannot fucking stand it, when people who use assist modes for their own advantage, who are clearly not in need of such features, suddenly rise up and tell me, I am a fucking asshole for voicing my opinion and disappointment and pretend they do all this in the name of the poor disabled people. It's dishonest.

TL/DR All I see is whining that people are playing games different than you and you don't like it, and you have no idea what gatekeeping is. It is not coming from a non disabled person getting a platinum using assists built into a game. It's from the people like you who think it's the end of the world when a game dares to have an easy mode or assist available who whine and moan that now the game is going to attract more people and thus more platinums obtained . As if it's such a bad thing. Maybe the game doesn't deserve to be an ultra rare. Boo hoo.

If you're entitled to an opinion, so am I.

How do you know I'm not disabled when you make a whole ass rant about it. Lol bye, I'm off to go use assist mode to platinum this game and then go brag about it to everyone. What a joke. This whole thread is.

Edited by Vulpine9Tails
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Vulpine9Tails said:

TL/DR All I see is whining that people are playing games different than you and you don't like it, and you have no idea what gatekeeping is. It is not coming from a non disabled person getting a platinum. It's from the people like you who think it's the end of the world when a game dares to have an easy mode or assist available who whine and moan that now the game is going to attract more people and thus more platinums obtained . As if it's such a bad thing. Maybe the game doesn't deserve to be an ultra rare. Boo hoo.

If you're entitled to an opinion, so am I.

How do you know I'm not disabled when you make a whole ass rant about it. Lol bye, I'm off to go use assist mode to platinum this game and then go brag about it to everyone. What a joke. This whole thread is.

Why do I even bother to explain myself, if you don't even care to read it.

Imagine a game, call it game 1, having assist mode with trophies disabled, then imagine the same game but having assist mode without trophies disabled, call it game 2. The only group of people that prefer game 2 over game 1 are people that put trophies first, the actual game second, otherwise they would be just content with game 1.

They don't want to put in the effort for the trophies or they are simply not able to, which in itself is fine, and therefore avoid game 1, even though it has assist mode, which actually would help them to beat the game.

Me saying, that I would prefer game 1 over game 2, is not me thinking the world is going to end tomorrow. I would be totally fine with a game having assist mode in that case.

Go ahead, more power to you. I hope you play the game for the actual game and not just the trophies though. I've only heard good things about the game and it would be a shame if you ignore all of that just for an easy plat.

Edited by Mori
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bosstristan said:

Totally agree and admire your trophy hunting ethics. I wish more were like you, the sad reality is that most go for the easy way and the cheap way (autopop, shovelwares etc)

Hey thanks, I appreciate that. Still sticking to it. Nowadays I focus more on my average trophy rarity stat than anything else, it keeps things interesting and incentivises challenging myself. Enjoy Desperados 3 btw! That's a solid challenge. if you enjoy it, I highly recommend Shadow Tactics, their previous game.

• Like 1

Omg I would be so pissed if I got the plat in this game only for it to be devalued later with assist mode.

That would never happen to me, of course, because I suck at games! My limit on difficulty would be like a 6/7 out of 10.

It's awesome that I'll be able to get the plat in Celeste now, but it shouldn't come at the expense of others who invested a serious amount of time/effort/skill to achieve it.

Such a simple solution would've been for assist mode to disable trophies. Now we argue amongst ourselves due to a developer oversight. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, disaster500 said:

Besides, it literally might as well beat the whole game for you if you turn on every assist. Invincibility plus infinite dashes means you can ignore pretty much everything you can interact with, and just fly through every level mashing the dash button. I just don't see the fun in that.

And there's the crux of one of the arguments in here. What's fun for you isn't what's fun for others. Ever played Prototype? First game that came to mind where you fly around mashing dash and feel like a complete badass. Sometimes it just feels fun to feel like you're indestructible. Switch your brain off and have fun.

As to the other argument - devaluation - I personally believe that what I do is for me. What you do is for you. Each to their own. What others do doesn't change what I do. If we're all having fun then great.

If you're basing your achievements on what others perceive of it then you probably need to look at why you need that. Nothing wrong with it of course, except when it leads to negatively going after others because they don't play the game how you decide it should be played, it isn't a great trait to have.

If a game has options to make it super hard but also super easy, therefore being inclusive of all, then I commend that. What's hard for you isn't necessarily what's hard for me and can mean everyone of different skill levels getting to enjoy a game.

For any reason we can play a game in any way. It's our choice. Who is anyone to say otherwise?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Mori said:

Imagine a game, call it game 1, having assist mode with trophies disabled, then imagine the same game but having assist mode without trophies disabled, call it game 2. The only group of people that prefer game 2 over game 1 are people that put trophies first, the actual game second, otherwise they would be just content with game 1.

They don't want to put in the effort for the trophies or they are simply not able to, which in itself is fine, and therefore avoid game 1, even though it has assist mode, which actually would help them to beat the game.

Me saying, that I would prefer game 1 over game 2, is not me thinking the world is going to end tomorrow. I would be totally fine with a game having assist mode in that case.

This works in reverse too. If Game 1 and Game 2 are identical despite that one difference in trophies then choosing Game 1 over Game 2 also shows you are putting trophies first, just for a different reason. If you care primarily about the game you would have no preference and be content with either. Clearly this isn't the case as you feel needlessly upset with Game 2. If you care about the game or enjoying difficulty just play Game 2 legit and have fun.

I'd happily play Game 1 or Game 2 legit, and if no one believes me that I beat Game 2 legit so be it. I still had the satisfaction of that journey overcoming the difficulty and no one can take that away from me.

17 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Intresting thought here tho...these ppl who claim to speak for integrity and honestly in this little sub genre of gaming, are also thr same ppl who use alt account's to maintain thier completion rate. 

There's honestly so much overlap between these purists/gatekeepers/elitists and behaviour like that. Practicing on alts, farming easy ultra rares etc. Their motivations are oftentimes painfully transparent that all they want is validation and to feel 'better' than everyone else simply because they have more rare trophies (though there is nothing wrong with people being motivated to go for specifically rare trophies in of itself).

Most people don't look at their profiles, but don't worry because if you search their PSNs on YouTube (seriously, try it next time you meet one) you tend to find multiple 'trophy review' videos featuring them that they've applied for. They desperately crave people to look at their profile and say it's 'fantastic'. There's a lot of misplaced ego in the trophy scene generally, which is silly because it's just a niche hobby. It's not super hardcore filled with pro gamers or anything of a sort, I'm sure we can admit most of us on sites such as this would be classed as simply nerdy(ish) little hobbyists. Most people in this scene are about average to just above average skill level. I feel some people though seem to mistakingly think just because they have some difficult and/or rare trophies they're one of these 'top 1%' gamers and it's almost laughable. They'd get utterly destroyed by the top 1%. That's not to say a top 1%er wouldn't dip their toe into trophy hunting, they're not a hive-mind after all, but it's somewhat rare because they tend to pursue other things in gaming.

Those people will be the types to weirdly gatekeep easy ultra rares too (even though surely if they cared about the credibility of rarity they should ideally prefer that easy games are no longer ultra rare so that only the 'big boy hard' games have that status). Truth is it doesn't matter what the game is or why it's ultra rare, if it gets more common that's an attack on their ego and must be stopped. I see it all the time with threads about 'easy ultra rares' etc. (sure, some people are just joking when they say it xD but some folk genuinely are trying to 'hide' them and get upset when people reveal their secret farms).

The funny thing also, it's always coming from those 'poser' types. Whenever I tend to see people known for difficult games they're usually modest about it and at times stand up against elitism. I've seen people like Danny J (probably a familiar name if you're into harder trophies) make comments defending someone against elitism before, I've seen the same from VirtualNight who has more ultra rares than a few of those elitists combined. Just a couple random name drops off the top of my head. It just never seems to often be those known high performers in these fields doing the complaining, it's always the 'posers', I guess, that are whining about 'integrity of trophies' and 'participation awards' etc.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Vulpine9Tails said:

You're contradicting yourself. The designer of the game is the one who put the exploit in and never disabled trophies. They decided this was part of the game to be used by whomever wants to use it. And now all these people are gatekeeping the platinum because their precious rarity gets wrecked if more people platinum the game. I'm feeling especially petty today and I kind of want to start up the game now and just use assist mode all the way through if it's that easy to do. The game has been on PlayStation since 2018 and is on ps extra, it's time to let it go. 

Tools were implemented to circumvent the design on the game. Sure, the tools had to be designed to navigate around the challenge, but that's still circumventing the design; since it's optional and yields the same payout as opposed to doing it legitimately.

I know we're on the Celeste section of the website, but I am speaking generally here, and not just exclusively this game. And to be clear since you keep on getting caught up in the rarity, a more ideal outcome would have been there to be some reward for doing it without the assist. Otherwise, I feel like my efforts are devalued. Instead of having trophies unlock with using the assist mode, I would have preferred there weren't any trophies at all to that portion of the game, and the player be forced to actually deal with the rules of the game.

You admitted to being petty, so go do the assist mode. If you think it's petty of me to want the same rules and metric of game design to apply so that the efforts are rewarded equally, then fine. This is what stimulates me with the hobby. 

But I know we can at least agree that the developer should have full liberty and agency, and it was their right to implement it in the way they wanted. I still bought the game.

------------

Also, this is a general comment to the people who keep on talking about alts and the like, lol.

I don't need alts to test games. Do you guys only play on one ecosystem? I'm on PlayStation, Switch and Steam. I guess the only exception to this is when I need to buy games out of region, or get screenshots of trophies on capture cards -- but this very strange straw-man argument never resonated with me, as I own the same game on multiple platforms for different reasons. It'd be nice to have the best version of the game AND have it port-ably, but I haven't invested in a Steam Deck yet.

Just to remind that Assists work the exact same way as any difficulty option. If you choose Easy Mode, the game automatically adjust all the "assists" for you to make the game easier. It doesn't give you everything, it just makes things easier compared to Normal difficulty. Same thing works if you want a thougher experience.

A lot of games these days also mention at the Beginning (like Runner3) there is a assist mode you can use (and doesn't afecta trophies) although the devs also say that the game was mentioned to be played in a certain level of difficulty (like Normal or any default settings).

Saying Celeste would be easier or even debating this because of Assists is the same as discussing basically ALL new games that don't have a difficulty specific trophy like Spider-Man, Horizon or God of War that can be played and platinum on the easiest difficulty. It's up to each other to choose their preferences... the Rarity of the platinum will always be the same, even if you choose the hard way and had more fun with it - nobody will notice that based on the Rarity platinum.

1 hour ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

This works in reverse too. If Game 1 and Game 2 are identical despite that one difference in trophies then choosing Game 1 over Game 2 also shows you are putting trophies first, just for a different reason. If you care primarily about the game you would have no preference and be content with either. Clearly this isn't the case as you feel needlessly upset with Game 2. If you care about the game or enjoying difficulty just play Game 2 legit and have fun.

There can only be game 1 or game 2, haven't seen a case where there are different stacks that offer assist mode with trophies and without trophies at the same time.

I get the game regardless but I'd prefer game 1.

Why would people skip game 1 but would buy game 2? The only difference, trophies are easier to get in game 2. Again, that is fine, but me expressing disappointment in game 1 not being available but game 2 instead, should not lead to me being shamed and labeled by said group when they are the ones who apparently care more about trophies than I do, and then use the disabled gaming community as an excuse.

And then again a wall of assumptions against people you basically know nothing about, acting as if these are all based on facts.

Anyway, I had a good night sleep and came to the realisation, all this arguing doesn't lead to anything, so I won't bother anymore. A portion of the PSNP community clearly sees trophy hunting differently than I do, and again, for the billionth time, that is fine but apparently it is not fine for those people if someone else shares a different opinion.

Edited by Mori

4 minutes ago, Mori said:

There can only be game 1 or game 2, haven't seen a case where there are different stacks that offer assist mode with trophies and without trophies.

I think I still take either, whatever we get is what we get, it's of no importance to me. The toxic confrontational side of me would probably even want Game 2 just to fuck with and trigger elitists xD.

1 hour ago, Mori said:

when they are the ones who care about trophies more than I do

Having a preference between the two is caring about trophies because that is the only difference between the two. You seem to believe that only one side are putting trophies first but anything other than complete indifference is giving trophies a significant level of importance. Game 1 and Game 2 are still identical as you mention. It's okay that you have a preference, but don't pretend you're not doing exactly the same as those who chose the opposite choice. You both care about trophies, that's fine. You care about them being 'prestigious' and they care about them being 'easily attainable', you both care to have a preference.

10 minutes ago, Mori said:

And then again a wall of assumptions against people you basically know nothing about, acting as if these are all based on facts.

Yes, they are all assumptions. Never said they were facts, just observations.

Maybe it's just confirmation bias but I feel like I've seen so much over the years that supports those viewpoints however. Exceptions exist, but for the most part people with those particular vocal attitudes tend to commonly line up with most if not all those assumptions.

On 14/07/2023 at 2:16 PM, Vulpine9Tails said:

What do you think accessibility is for? We have colorblind modes, adjustable sizes for subtitles, different coloured outlines for interactive objects in the environment etc. There's also an accessible controller coming out for disabled people in the fall. You think that because someone was born with a disability or became disabled now they aren't allowed to earn platinums just because a few people care about rarity? Yikes. 

It should be a different list. It doesn't matter how many disabilities you have or not, if you can't compete in said competition pool, well, too bad.

It's exactly the same with sports. That's why you have many different categories, such as women sports, light weights, people with disabilities, kids...

The ideal would be to have a regular list called for instance Celeste and then another called Celeste Assist Mode. This would make everyone happy and the original trophy list would mean something!

25 minutes ago, bosstristan said:

It should be a different list. It doesn't matter how many disabilities you have or not, if you can't compete in said competition pool, well, too bad.

It's exactly the same with sports. That's why you have many different categories, such as women sports, light weights, people with disabilities, kids...

The ideal would be to have a regular list called for instance Celeste and then another called Celeste Assist Mode. This would make everyone happy and the original trophy list would mean something!

As far as I'm aware, Assist Mode was available in Celeste - without impeding trophy unlocks - from day one.

To my knowledge, there is no "original trophy list".

There is just the list -the same one every player has had since it released.

Therefore, every player of the game is competing in the same pool...

...one that allows players to tailor the game to their own comfort level, and to suit their own abilities.

The point isn't that people are not competing on the same playing field...

...it's that they are, and some people don't like that.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3