Bringing 'Em Back from the Dead - The Gonespy Thread...

ProfBambam55

@ProfBambam55

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

This is a list of all games that uses the Unreal Engine. Me and LoStraniero91 have discussed about this a few days ago. Bulletstorm and Unreal Tournament 3 (and obviously 50 Cent and Section 8) are all working because they use not only GameSpy BUT ALSO the Unreal Engine. In fact, if you see the list, CellFactor DOES USE the Unreal Engine.

Now, on this list there are 2 games that we are to put the spotlight on: Army of TWO The 40th Day and Homefront (the first). If anyone here have Homefront, he can try if the ranked matches works with GoneSpy?

discuss this with @NeM2k2, demonviper666.

---

EDIT: it seems that even Superstars V8: Next Challenge uses GameSpy (according to this topic):

https://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/showthread.php?t=2441931

the topic is 6 years old, but the guy says, in pills, that the gamespy site, says that the multiplayer of Superstars V8 NC have 2 players active, and Gamespy doesn't allow the guy and his buddy to send private messages.

Anyone have Superstars V8 Next Challenge, so that can test if the ranked matches can work with GoneSpy? If i find the game, i will buy it and test it myself but until then. Anyone?

Edited by APCGrayLocked

5 minutes ago, APCGrayLocked said:

discuss this with @NeM2k2, demonviper666.

---

EDIT: it seems that even Superstars V8: Next Challenge uses GameSpy (according to this topic):

https://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/showthread.php?t=2441931

the topic is 6 years old, but the guy says, in pills, that the gamespy site, says that the multiplayer of Superstars V8 NC have 2 players active, and Gamespy doesn't allow the guy and his buddy to send private messages.

Anyone have Superstars V8 Next Challenge, so that can test if the ranked matches are working?

I have  middle earth and joe danger 2 and Gotham city imposters. But no way to test to see if they work.     

1 hour ago, demonviper666 said:

I have  middle earth and joe danger 2 and Gotham city imposters. But no way to test to see if they work.     

install GoneSpy and test the games with it. Read the first page (if you have any problems with the DNS, the IP etc read the previous pages)

Edited by APCGrayLocked

6 hours ago, APCGrayLocked said:

@ProfBambam55

Bulletstorm and Unreal Tournament 3 (and obviously 50 Cent and Section 8) are all working because they use not only GameSpy BUT ALSO the Unreal Engine. In fact, if you see the list, CellFactor DOES USE the Unreal Engine

Unreal Engine 3 has a GameSpy implementation by default so it's likely they these games all have similar, if not identical, GameSpy code. They still differ by the GameSpy services required, hence why not all the UE3 engine games tested are fully functional.

If anyone can get their hands on UE3 engine code, it might be useful. I found a preview version but it's missing the multiplayer code. UE4 is open source but doesn't use GameSpy of course!

@NeM2k2 & @WaddysWDS - Thanks for your replies, finally got it working over the last few nights & with that the final trophy needed for my UT3 Platinum. Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it.

And for anyone struggling, the way I fixed it was;

1. Manual entered my PS3 IP (Make a note of this before setting up the DNS on the console)
  2. Manually entered my router's IP on the PS3 default router setting

Once I'd done the above two things it started working. I do advise to keep an eye on it though if you just leave it running as it does get very laggy as someone else posted earlier in the thread, s a good idea to restart every now & again :)

Thanks again guys, great stuff!

1 hour ago, NeM2k2 said:

Wow, that's a new one. Do you have Java 8 or higher installed?

Pretty sure I do, updating it right now just in case.

Oh ok, just updated Java to the most recent update that's on 8 and it worked. Thanks :lol: 

Edited by Crazy

7 hours ago, Crazy said:

@NeM2k2 I'm now having a problem with Deadwood and it creating the service. I followed the guide and all.

Looks like port 53 might be in use on your PC. Try running something like

netstat -anb

And look for [::]:53 in the left column. The line after should be the application using that port

(This is all from memory, not at my PC right now)

Edited by NeM2k2
  • Like 2

I've noticed a couple posts regarding connection oddities, so I thought I'd post mine.

Every few sessions back-to-back of Bulletstorm's Anarchy mode results in either the game not loading (spinning circle spins forever) or just completely freezing, resulting in resetting. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable damage to my disc, so has anyone had this problem?

Not that its a big deal, as it has yet to freeze up DURING a round.....

2 hours ago, RedRodriguez87 said:

I've noticed a couple posts regarding connection oddities, so I thought I'd post mine.

Every few sessions back-to-back of Bulletstorm's Anarchy mode results in either the game not loading (spinning circle spins forever) or just completely freezing, resulting in resetting. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable damage to my disc, so has anyone had this problem?

I was playing with @ProfBambam55 the other day and he got a black screen between waves and had to turn his PS3 off and rejoin.

When going for the Environmentalist trophy my game would freeze/crash when loading every 3-4 maps.

I also had issues when playing Echoes offline without Gonespy running at all. Every 3-4 different levels I would get some kind of freeze/black screen.

It might be the game itself that is buggy? Anyone had problems like this before the servers shut down?

2 hours ago, NeM2k2 said:

I was playing with @ProfBambam55 the other day and he got a black screen between waves and had to turn his PS3 off and rejoin.

When going for the Environmentalist trophy my game would freeze/crash when loading every 3-4 maps.

I also had issues when playing Echoes offline without Gonespy running at all. Every 3-4 different levels I would get some kind of freeze/black screen.

It might be the game itself that is buggy? Anyone had problems like this before the servers shut down?

Now that you mentioned it, yeah, I did have some problems with Echoes while connecting to Gonespy. That was before I checked my disc and saw it was fine.

And ugh, don't like to hear bad news about Anarchy messing up, seeings as to how at least one of those trophies requires one full round. Though at least he got to rejoin.

Edited by RedRodriguez87

I've ordered WRC 2 to test next week..

I assume the code will be similar between this, WRC, and Superstars V8 Racing: Next Challenge as they're all Black Bean / Milestone releases that used GameSpy.

On 3/29/2018 at 7:37 PM, NeM2k2 said:

Unreal Engine 3 has a GameSpy implementation by default so it's likely they these games all have similar, if not identical, GameSpy code. They still differ by the GameSpy services required, hence why not all the UE3 engine games tested are fully functional.

If anyone can get their hands on UE3 engine code, it might be useful. I found a preview version but it's missing the multiplayer code. UE4 is open source but doesn't use GameSpy of course!

@NeM2k2 Is this the same one you found?

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/previous-versions

Edited by iXanon

13 hours ago, RedRodriguez87 said:

I'm leaning possibly towards having pc performance issues on my end since mine is quite old now by modern standards...my internet is top notch and have gotten "bad connection" pretty regularly when playing and minor frame rate decreases...i've had to reset my pc before running the 3 command prompts  in order to play Bulletstorm using gonespy but this has always fixed the problems I was having...the recent black screen just seemed like what I would describe as "normal freezing" as I've had similar things happen in other games...i don't think it had to do with using gonespy...

and just to add, the connection quality between the two players I've co-op'd with in Bulletstorm has been quite above and beyond what I expected and I would say that it's even better than many online games I've played running off their dev's servers...

and apologies I've haven't participated or updated this thread recently...busy...will try to have a look at recent activity later today or tomorrow... 

Edited by ProfBambam55

17 hours ago, RedRodriguez87 said:

Now that you mentioned it, yeah, I did have some problems with Echoes while connecting to Gonespy. That was before I checked my disc and saw it was fine.

And ugh, don't like to hear bad news about Anarchy messing up, seeings as to how at least one of those trophies requires one full round. Though at least he got to rejoin.

I'll try running some Echoes with/without Gonespy running and see what happens.

The Anarchy crash was only once in the 4-5 full 20 wave runs we've done so far. Not sure what trophy you are referring to - the 50,000 point one has to be done in a single wave, it's not cumulative. Rejoining should be fine.