Near? Not really what I would call near!

Nasty_Rory

I set up near for the vita for the first time last night and I followed the tips of letting my wifi do the hard work rather then my 3G.

But the result has come as quite the surprise. Rather than giving me my home address, or even close to it, I was told that I was in Aberdeen, Scotland.

Now I don't know much about Aberdeen - other then its in Northern Scotland - but according to Goggle Maps its over 340 miles north east of me.

However I did manage to pick up some game goods as there were apparently a dozen other Vitas within a mile of me!

It looks like I am going to have to set the skyhook website for my vita to decide I don't live in Scotland.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Edited by Nasty_Rory

Near picked up my location perfectly. I have no idea what the hell Near does but I do know that it has me in the correct place on the map. I've turned the Near feature on too and nothing has ever happened with the application so unless I'm doing something wrong it's pretty useless.

Parker

Near picked up my location perfectly. I have no idea what the hell Near does but I do know that it has me in the correct place on the map. I've turned the Near feature on too and nothing has ever happened with the application so unless I'm doing something wrong it's pretty useless.

Parker, if near isnt saying that there are others near you then its safe to assume that you are the only one within about 10 miles that has a PS Vita!

340 miles is a piss take, but yeah localisation with wifi sucks as it's usually pointing towards the main Internet hub (google always thinks I'm 80 miles from where I live)

I can appreciate that it will most likely take from the nearest node - but Belfast & Glasgow are in direct line between me and Aberdeen so I cannot fathom why it has picked that as my location. My ISP isnt even based there!

I've found near to be a huge pile of shit. It "works" when I'm at work... Meaning it connects and shows my location but, I don't see anything but "buzz" crap. It seems like a totally useless feature. I added my home wifi to Skyhook and it still doesn't pick up my location.

There should be a better incorporation with your friend list and have the ability to share things using your last known location if it can't find you. I don't have the 3G version so I'm stuck with non-working wifi.

Seems pretty useless to me so I rarely touch it.

My Wifi location used to be out in Manchester for some reason. I submitted my location to Skyhook and since then it's always been perfect. I got my Vita a couple of years later and never had any issues with the wrong city showing up. 

Don't get too excited about Near though :P

Near...if u know how to use it, it'll be a very useful app! but, i think "near would really called near"!

if someone...i said someone have a 'needed gifts from near' games, u would like to use it for sure if u recently play that game!

Nasty, u just have to go to 'settings' then 'location data', put a mark on the 'use location data' that'll do it!(i'm not very sure if it really works, but i hope it can help) :huh:

Edited by Ninjaz_88

Yeah, I just noticed on the website, Skyhook actually have a note to Vita users; "Sony Vita users, if you are experiencing location issues you should submit an access point to our database."
So there's obviously a lot of people with the same problem but that'll do the job.

Game goods via Near are great, everything else is lame. Especially when you have a few friends with the same Vita games, you can really help each other out by sharing content/unlocks. Unit 13 for example lets you unlock all the HVT bosses via game goods as opposed to spending hours grinding your ass off for the required number of stars for each boss. It's just a shame there's such little functionality to Near otherwise. 

Edited by R17L29XI

I'm off the grid apparently as it can't find me anywhere.

Lol happens to me to @ my dads,  although that may be due to no cellular towers around his area,

Because when i am in the city @ my moms i noice thatbit works perfectly fine.

i think the main objctive works in the city due to there being more satelitle(s) available.

i am just thinking off thetop of my head, this may be totally incorrect.

if you have "mobile hotspots" on your cellular device, try turning it on and connecting your vita wirelessly through your hotspot.

i tried it once when i was on the highway driving home and it worked for me that way, although thats just another off the top of my head

I checked out Near when I got my Vita a while ago and forgot all about it. Soon after, I started getting all these seemingly random friend requests. It took me a while to connect the dots, mainly since I really did not understand what Near was at the time.

• 2 months later...

No. My location is more precise than I actually want it to be. I am surrounded by 5 people from my school and it makes me feel bad that they have so little trophies. 

Then if I ever say hi to them it'll be like "HI, I'M KIRBYSEPH. THE DOUCHEBAG WITH 6000 TROPHIES!"