Let's Play Mugen Souls & Mugen Souls Z

Regarding those endgame weapons, my thought is to say that they don't matter all that much.  For Chou-Chou and Syrma (depending on which game/games you're playing), you probably want a weapon whose attack range you find suitable for controlling how much of the field you're trying to charm at once -- "too large" can be just as big a headache as "too small" if you're trying to focus your efforts on a particular enemy/crystal without sending everything else into Frenzy status -- but otherwise I'd be inclined to say that one should focus on survivability.  Because other than for an explicit challenge/trophy or three, you're better off not even trying to kill stuff with raw attack damage after a point.

You need your characters to have some level of survivability.  You want your non-charmers to be able to do useful things such as push enemies where you want them to go, to revive the fallen, and otherwise to spread out and serve as a distraction for enemies so that Syrma and/or Chou-Chou can do their thing in (relative) peace.  But the postgame of Mugen Souls isn't like the postgame of a lot of other RPG-type titles where the objective is to get the best equipment and massive stats and then to LOLstomp everything.

Having the ultimate weapons is better than not having them, but it's not all that important in the bigger picture.  In my opinion, anyhow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, acasser said:

Regarding those endgame weapons, my thought is to say that they don't matter all that much.  For Chou-Chou and Syrma (depending on which game/games you're playing), you probably want a weapon whose attack range you find suitable for controlling how much of the field you're trying to charm at once -- "too large" can be just as big a headache as "too small" if you're trying to focus your efforts on a particular enemy/crystal without sending everything else into Frenzy status -- but otherwise I'd be inclined to say that one should focus on survivability.  Because other than for an explicit challenge/trophy or three, you're better off not even trying to kill stuff with raw attack damage after a point.

You need your characters to have some level of survivability.  You want your non-charmers to be able to do useful things such as push enemies where you want them to go, to revive the fallen, and otherwise to spread out and serve as a distraction for enemies so that Syrma and/or Chou-Chou can do their thing in (relative) peace.  But the postgame of Mugen Souls isn't like the postgame of a lot of other RPG-type titles where the objective is to get the best equipment and massive stats and then to LOLstomp everything.

Having the ultimate weapons is better than not having them, but it's not all that important in the bigger picture.  In my opinion, anyhow.

Yeah, the main reason you'd want an ultimate weapon is for the extra defensive stats boosts, raw power isn't needed unless you frenzy an enemy & have to kill it off normally. I use a large range weapon only if I'm fighting enemies I can peon in a single turn (like story enemies when going through NG+), but if I'm grinding battles where I have to peon the crystal (like in 7 World Redux), I'll go for the smaller range equipment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FilmFanatic said:

I’m going to be starting Mugen Souls Z today. It sounds like a complicated game but I’m hoping that’s just because I haven’t played it yet and once I start then everything will become clear.

Trust me, there are a lot more complicated games out there than Mugen Souls. xD But really, it's not much more difficult than Neptunia (gameplay wise at least), good luck! ^_^ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Masamune said:

Trust me, there are a lot more complicated games out there than Mugen Souls. xD But really, it's not much more difficult than Neptunia (gameplay wise at least), good luck! ^_^ 

I’ve played a few of the Neptunia games and they are pretty easy. Time to jump on the PS Store now and see what free DLC I want to download.

• Like 1

I’ve played a few of the Neptunia games and they are pretty easy. Time to jump on the PS Store now and see what free DLC I want to download.

I'd just get them all, & there's a lot (I think it took me like 20 minutes to download everything). ? You should get some use out of just about everything, but there is some battles that's too hard to even mess with (the same is true for the original as well), for Z I think it's the Ultimate War ones? But I'm not 100% on that. :hmm: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Masamune said:

I'd just get them all, & there's a lot (I think it took me like 20 minutes to download everything). 1f605.png You should get some use out of just about everything, but there is some battles that's too hard to even mess with (the same is true for the original as well), for Z I think it's the Ultimate War ones? But I'm not 100% on that. :hmm: 

I’ve downloaded all the free stuff that aren’t battles as I know from the Neptunia free DLC that the DLC battles are much harder than anything in the base game. Using the PS Store on the PS3 really reminds me why I want to clear out my PS3 backlg sooner rather than later lol.

• Like 1

I’ve downloaded all the free stuff that aren’t battles as I know from the Neptunia free DLC that the DLC battles are much harder than anything in the base game. Using the PS Store on the PS3 really reminds me why I want to clear out my PS3 backlg sooner rather than later lol.

There are 2 battles I'd recommend getting, you have to be pretty strong to clear them, & have a little bit of luck, but I think it's worth it. The battles are Smoky Lamp Battle, & Undisputed Ragnarok, you can see my full post about them here. Of course, that'll probably be the very last things you do before the plat, so there's no hurry. :P 

• Like 1

I just had the game freeze on me twice, in weird places too... one was in the equip screen menu, & the other was right in the middle of a cutscene. ? Normally I only have to worry it freezing after a battle, hopefully this doesn't happen too many more times. mULKtIL.png

In other news, I finally managed to get enough G to fuse together all my Enemy Ability Decay matters, so now when an enemy gets too close to me, it gets it's stats cut by 50%. J7fIzcd.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, viech54 said:

Downloaded all helpful DLC for Mugen Souls, will start my first playthrough after clearing some of the games I'm currently playing. Is there anything I need to keep in mind on my first playthrough?

The first Mugen Souls? Not really, just play however you want & enjoy the game. UXKndt7.png There is one thing I'd advise against though, in that free DLC you get a piece of equipment called the Overwhelming Crown, don't upgrade this until you have enough G to upgrade it fully to Lv999 (you get a better bonus that way). That's one of the best pieces of equipment in the game, & it'll be quite a while before you can make another one (so you don't want to ruin it by upgrading it a couple levels at a time).

Good luck, it's nice to see another person starting the original (if that's the case)! :P 

20 minutes ago, Masamune said:

The first Mugen Souls? Not really, just play however you want & enjoy the game. UXKndt7.png There is one thing I'd advise against though, in that free DLC you get a piece of equipment called the Overwhelming Crown, don't upgrade this until you have enough G to upgrade it fully to Lv999 (you get a better bonus that way). That's one of the best pieces of equipment in the game, & it'll be quite a while before you can make another one (so you don't want to ruin it by upgrading it a couple levels at a time).

Good luck, it's nice to see another person starting the original (if that's the case)! :P 

Thanks, then I won't upgrade it at the start of the game.

Yes, it's the first Mugen Souls, don't have MS Z, but will go for it as well if I like the vanilla MS.

I was wondering if I was going to reach my goal this week since I've been kinda busy, well here it is. :P 

Charm Levels:

• Ego: 81%
  • Sadist: 81%
  • Tsundere: 82%
  • Ditz:  83%
  • Terse: 82%
  • Hyper: 81%
  • Graceful: 83%
  • Masochist: 83%

Shampurus: 400,415

Playthroughs: 8

Play Time: 118:36:27

Trophies: 47/51

I knocked out a couple more playthroughs, but I really need to finish those off (I'm a little too good at procrastination). ? I also managed to beat Overwhelming Apocalypse once, most of the battles went pretty smooth (my DEF/MND was 99M/80M) besides a couple where I almost frenzied the crystal. UXKndt7.png Nobody even hurt me except in the final 10th battle, I think one of them (out of my decay range) managed to kill me before I even got a turn, but I revived with a fraction of HP? I think what happened was their final attack KOed me, but also blasted me off causing my Collision Damage Restore matter to revive me at the same time? :hmm: Oh well, I'm not complaining! :P You definitely need to be on good terms with lady luck to clear all these battles in a row, if you frenzy anyone, it's basically a game over. Dg4Gw6V.png

I'm hoping I can reach the halfway point (500K Shampurus) in the next week, but I've started to max out a few of the main ones I've been getting, so it may start slowing down now. ?

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 6:13 PM, Rick_Sanchez said:

I'm almost at 500k shampurus, got a lot of lower tier ones done and now to go after the higher tier ones. On my next 2 days off next week before my vacation starts, I'm going to try to get Chou-Chou at 600% stats with fusion then plow through everything on my vacation.

Nice work :yay: .

On 6/15/2018 at 11:14 PM, FilmFanatic said:

I’m going to be starting Mugen Souls Z today. It sounds like a complicated game but I’m hoping that’s just because I haven’t played it yet and once I start then everything will become clear.

As I understand it Mugen Souls Z is a lot less complicated than Mugen Souls.

9 hours ago, Masamune said:

I was wondering if I was going to reach my goal this week since I've been kinda busy, well here it is. :P 

Charm Levels:

• Ego: 81%
  • Sadist: 81%
  • Tsundere: 82%
  • Ditz:  83%
  • Terse: 82%
  • Hyper: 81%
  • Graceful: 83%
  • Masochist: 83%

Shampurus: 400,415

Playthroughs: 8

Play Time: 118:36:27

Trophies: 47/51

I knocked out a couple more playthroughs, but I really need to finish those off (I'm a little too good at procrastination). 1f605.png I also managed to beat Overwhelming Apocalypse once, most of the battles went pretty smooth (my DEF/MND was 99M/80M) besides a couple where I almost frenzied the crystal. UXKndt7.png Nobody even hurt me except in the final 10th battle, I think one of them (out of my decay range) managed to kill me before I even got a turn, but I revived with a fraction of HP? I think what happened was their final attack KOed me, but also blasted me off causing my Collision Damage Restore matter to revive me at the same time? :hmm: Oh well, I'm not complaining! :P You definitely need to be on good terms with lady luck to clear all these battles in a row, if you frenzy anyone, it's basically a game over. Dg4Gw6V.png

I'm hoping I can reach the halfway point (500K Shampurus) in the next week, but I've started to max out a few of the main ones I've been getting, so it may start slowing down now. 1f611.png

Yay, the coloured charm levels are back :dance: .

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

Actually started the game a lot earlier than expected. I'm still in the first world. The enemies are cake with the DLC equipment & that's alright, I'm not doing it for the challenge, and it looks like postgame will get a lot harder than what's waiting for Chou-Chou in the story. Right now I need to learn how to moe kill things reliably, but the guide I'm using seems fairly straightforward and easy to understand/use. I think it'll be alright.

Shampuru: Not enough, my favorite one is called "No idea how many I have, don't care about the number as of now".

Playthroughs: 0

Time: Dunno, probably an hour or so

Trophies: 5/51

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, viech54 said:

Actually started the game a lot earlier than expected. I'm still in the first world. The enemies are cake with the DLC equipment & that's alright, I'm not doing it for the challenge, and it looks like postgame will get a lot harder than what's waiting for Chou-Chou in the story. Right now I need to learn how to moe kill things reliably, but the guide I'm using seems fairly straightforward and easy to understand/use. I think it'll be alright.

Shampuru: Not enough, my favorite one is called "No idea how many I have, don't care about the number as of now".

Playthroughs: 0

Time: Dunno, probably an hour or so

Trophies: 5/51

Nice, have fun with those first steps in the game :D .

• Like 1

So I started using the Moe Kill Table from the starting post, but it doesn't do what it's supposed to most of the time. I understand what the icons mean and what the phrases should do. Is this table based on the enemy's Moe or Chou-Chou's?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, viech54 said:

So I started using the Moe Kill Table from the starting post, but it doesn't do what it's supposed to most of the time. I understand what the icons mean and what the phrases should do. Is this table based on the enemy's Moe or Chou-Chou's?

It's based on the enemy's, for example, if the enemy has say a sadistic affinity switch to Sadistic Chou-Chou to more easily moe kill it. It's the same across all affinities, Ego with Ego, Bipolar with Bipolar, etc. While the words you use generally work most of the time with the matching icons, there is still an RNG related thing with moe killing that can suddenly cause the frenzy meter to skyrocket.

Edited by Rick_Sanchez
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rick_Sanchez said:

It's based on the enemy's, for example, if the enemy has say a sadistic affinity switch to Sadistic Chou-Chou to more easily moe kill it. It's the same across all affinities, Ego with Ego, Bipolar with Bipolar, etc. While the words you use generally work most of the time with the matching icons, there is still an RNG related thing with moe killing that can suddenly cause the frenzy meter to skyrocket.

It works much better now, thanks. Still, that RNG aspect sucks. Now that I know this, it looks like I should return to the ship after every story-related encounter to be able to transform in battle whenever I need it until Chou-Chou can transform more than once. Don't want to miss out on the shampurus in the story. Or is there a way for her to transform multiple times without returning to the ship?

2 hours ago, viech54 said:

It works much better now, thanks. Still, that RNG aspect sucks. Now that I know this, it looks like I should return to the ship after every story-related encounter to be able to transform in battle whenever I need it until Chou-Chou can transform more than once. Don't want to miss out on the shampurus in the story. Or is there a way for her to transform multiple times without returning to the ship?

The transform limit only applies to in-battle transformations, you can do it out of battle as many times as you want (it'll increase as you raise your charm Lv). You don't have to worry about peoning everything on your first playthrough though, as I doubt that's even possible. If you frenzy anything, just kill them normally (you still get 3x the shampurus for that), even with boosted stats, you should't have a problem in the beginning with the DLC.

But yeah, there's definitely RNG involved in the process, that chart more or less just gives you an estimate on what each phrase will do. A couple things I do that helps though is avoiding the phrases Kind, & Smile (especially that last one), they just seem to backfire on me more than anything. ? & if you can select Crybaby, Desperate, or Confession, do it (they rarely ever mess up).

Oh, & some affinities are just easier to peon than others (even if their charm Lv is lower). Don't know why, it just is. :hmm: The easiest ones to peon are definitely Ego, I can't remember the last time I frenzied one of them. The next easiest (in order) would probably be DitzTsundere, & Sadist. Followed by TerseGraceful, & Masochist... finally last (& most certainly least) is Hyper, I honestly lose all hope when I see a large crystal pop up with this affinity, I'm lucky to peon it half the time (you're probably better off switching to Ditz & just item kill it in that case). ?

Edited by Masamune
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Masamune said:

Oh, & some affinities are just easier to peon than others (even if their charm Lv is lower). Don't know why, it just is. :hmm: The easiest ones to peon are definitely Ego, I can't remember the last time I frenzied one of them. The next easiest (in order) would probably be DitzTsundere, & Sadist. Followed by TerseGraceful, & Masochist... finally last (& most certainly least) is Hyper, I honestly lose all hope when I see a large crystal pop up with this affinity, I'm lucky to peon it half the time (you're probably better off switching to Ditz & just item kill it in that case). ?

Odd :hmm: I have a different order of easiest to hardest, I agree that Ego is the easiest to moe kill everything after that is different, in order for me is Sadist, Hyper, Tsundere, Terse, Ditz, Graceful, then finally Masochist. I've gotten to the point if I'm grinding in 7 worlds redux if I see Masochist or Graceful I just restart the game for something different.

Edited by Rick_Sanchez

1 hour ago, Rick_Sanchez said:

Odd :hmm: I have a different order of easiest to hardest, I agree that Ego is the easiest to moe kill everything after that is different, in order for me is Sadist, Hyper, Tsundere, Terse, Ditz, Graceful, then finally Masochist. I've gotten to the point if I'm grinding in 7 worlds redux if I see Masochist or Graceful I just restart the game for something different.

Really? Well according to your last update, Hyper is one of your highest Lv affinities, maybe that's why (you'll probably start to notice a difference once they start to even out)? :hmm: If you have a 5% margin in your charm levels, it'll definitely be easier for the ones that are higher (for the crystals that scale to your average charm Lv at least).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Masamune said:

Really? Well according to your last update, Hyper is one of your highest Lv affinities, maybe that's why (you'll probably start to notice a difference once they start to even out)? :hmm: If you have a 5% margin in your charm levels, it'll definitely be easier for the ones that are higher (for the crystals that scale to your average charm Lv at least).

That is a good point, I didn't think about it like that. I'll give an update when I get home in the morning. I think hyper is still a top affinity.

Edit: 

update time!

Charm Levels:

• Ego: 68%
  • Sadist: 64%
  • Tsundere: 64%
  • Ditz:  62%
  • Terse: 64%
  • Hyper: 68%
  • Graceful: 62%
  • Masochist: 62%

Shampurus: 487,499

Playthroughs: 14

Play Time: 351:09:11

Trophies: 45/51

Yeah, Hyper is tied with Ego for being my highest affinity and Masochist, Ditzand Graceful are all tied for being my lowest affinities.

Edited by Rick_Sanchez
  • Like 3

One more down...

32Ld4c2c3.png

:bronze: Fantastic TCS! 
Activated a Triple Counter Stop at full power.

I think I could've gotten this one last week too. ? For this trophy, you need to deal 30B damage against a group of enemies... I just dealt 50B+ (against 10 enemies), & I'm still only around 410K shampurus. J7fIzcd.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Masamune said:

One more down...

32Ld4c2c3.png

:bronze: Fantastic TCS! 
Activated a Triple Counter Stop at full power.

I think I could've gotten this one last week too. 1f605.png For this trophy, you need to deal 30B damage against a group of enemies... I just dealt 50B+ (against 10 enemies), & I'm still only around 410K shampurus. J7fIzcd.png

Congrats! l guess I'll try for this one next. You maxed out the pp to 999 then peon balled yes? If so, I'll nab this and 10 billion damage at once.

Edited by Rick_Sanchez