Is it worth getting a PS4 now?

joshabug

• 2 weeks later...

It's great to have over 400 games. Get PS4 Slim.

21 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

No, buy an Xbox One.

Get your head out of your ass. Xbox One are for pussies. To much paying over the Internet and Power lol.

Edited by Nexuds121
  • Like 1

PS5 is likely a few years away yet, and while I'm part Luddite, I'm struggling to imagine what kind of hardware upgrades will really set it apart from the Pro, at least whilst keeping it cost competitive.   As I said though, I'm not tech savvy, but I would speculate it'd be backwards compatible, certainly with the PS4, I think there'd be outrage if it wasn't, and they won't have the PS3 architecture excuse this time either.

If possible I'd buy a Pro, it's just an all round better unit, and you can pick it up cheaper or used in various places, the Amazon warehouse deals sometimes have them and they get a decent discount too.   There's plenty of great titles to play this gen and quite a lot still to come, I wouldn't have any issues buying a Pro right now, in fact I bought a nice white Pro just before Xmas last year, and another Pro a few months before that (upgrading both my PS4s), but if you really are on a budget I think I'd still go for the Pro, I can't see PS5 any time soon.

Yes, of course it’s worth it - there are already plenty of awesome games to play on it, not counting all those that are being or will be developed in the coming years.

Moreover there’s always a phase-in / phase-out period between two generations of machines. Even if we assume PS5 to be released in 2021, that means there are still four to five years of future games to look forward to...

Edited by Neef-GT5

1 hour ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Please elaborate on how buying an xbox one over a ps4 is a good idea? Because in just about every way imaginable the ps4 is better than the Xbox one currently. 

Hundreds of Xbox 360 and Xbox Original games, more reliable services, better games each month (and twice as many games each month, starting March), Xbox Game Pass is one of the best value deals in all of gaming (ever) and free months are given away constantly, EA Access is a tremendous value, not to mention Xbox's amazing exclusives like Forza, Forza Horizon, Halo, Gears of War, Sunset Overdrive (still counts), Sea of Theives, State of Decay, Cuphead, Super Lucky's Tale, Player Unknown's Battlegrounds, and so on.

I was making it as a joke post. Obviously. But really, there's a tonne of arguments for both sides and to dismiss either due to brand loyalty would just be dumb.

• Like 1

Just now, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Hundreds of Xbox 360 and Xbox Original games, more reliable services, better games each month (and twice as many games each month, starting March), Xbox Game Pass is one of the best value deals in all of gaming (ever) and free months are given away constantly, EA Access is a tremendous value, not to mention Xbox's amazing exclusives like Forza, Forza Horizon, Halo, Gears of War, Sunset Overdrive (still counts), Sea of Theives, State of Decay, Cuphead, Super Lucky's Tale, Player Unknown's Battlegrounds, and so on.

I was making it as a joke post. Obviously. But really, there's a tonne of arguments for both sides and to dismiss either due to brand loyalty would just be dumb.

I Don't think xbox sucks in any capacity what so ever but I agree with all your points besides exclusives. In no way does xbox exclusives compare to ps4 exclusives at all. 

3 minutes ago, rolltideroll157 said:

I Don't think xbox sucks in any capacity what so ever but I agree with all your points besides exclusives. In no way does xbox exclusives compare to ps4 exclusives at all. 

What do you mean, SCALEBOUND WILL BE MASTERPI...

oh

ooooh

riiiight

• Like 2

Sheer power, the Xbox One X wins hands down. but there are some major caveats that give ps4 the lead. Take Fallout 4 for instance, it runs (still) like ass on Xbox One X at 4k.  Constant stuttering and frame rate drops in wooded areas whereas the ps4 Pro, while only running at 1440p...i get no framerate drops in the same areas....then you get to games like Skyrim SE, the opening scene runs stutters on ps4 Pro, but buttery smooth Xbox X.... each game varies for the most part. In theory the Xbox one X should run everything better, but sadly it does not.  Ghost Recon Wildlands, i cannot tell the difference between the two and i play it on both consoles. I have friends on both so it is what it is.

• Like 1

i would say a second hand one is worth it, as it's still a while before the PS5 will come out, and usually the previous consoles live a few years after the new gen is released. Like the PS3 had been releasing games for a long time even after the ps4 was released, e.g. Tales of Berseria and Persona 5 in 2016/17. Even now the PS3 is playable, so I'd say if you get the ps4 now, you will at least get a good 5 years out of it, if not more. And also, game prices will drop and the used pool will get bigger.

I still have my PS3 and played it since 2010, only totally switching to my ps4 just last year. 

20 hours ago, Babsimabuse said:

Maybe better wait for PS6, maybe there is only a few years between, just to be on the safe side

Dude, dude, dude!

I've already pre-ordered the PsXYZ69K for that super ultra early bird discount of fuck all!!!

If you havent bought a PS4 yet now imho when the ps5 comes out you arent going to be one of the release day buyers anyway. You are more of a last generation gamer it seems. If you got the money now buy a ps4 if not just wait for ps5 to release then buy your ps4.

• 4 weeks later...