PS4 heading into end of its life cycle according to PlayStation CEO

Oobedoob S Benubi

2 hours ago, bpmotard said:

Yup, this is my problem as well.. I have such a HUUUUGE backlog both on PS3, PS4 and VITA that I'm not 100% interested in a next gen any time soon. Wanting to go back to finish some games I started on PS3 and never finished, but with work it's getting harder and harder to do so...

I’m in the same boat aswell, there’s actual some PS3 games I’ve been meaning to get back to aswell, like Heavy Rain that I’ve had on my list for half a decade, plenty of stuff to play on PS4 really and a few more PS3 games I would wanna finish before PS5.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

12 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

You are absolutely right. I also have the feeling that the PS3 lineup was more creative than most games today. The PS4 is a good console but it didn't blew me away, so I am not that excited for a PS5 too. But well, maybe that changes

Too many games are trying to copy each other. This is what happened to platformers in the 1990s, but times were a lot different because it was the tech boom era.

This generation has a bunch of shameless remasters of games we already seen in the PS3 generation. There’s not a lot of creativity in the mainstream. I can name a number of AAA games from the 2007 - 2010 years that were more creative and innovative than just about every AAA game I’ve seen this year and last year. 

Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War are both very good games definitely worth spending your money and time on. But they are hardly innovative nor creative, because they take a concept that has already been done several times by older games years earlier. 

Dead Space was in ways innovative because as far as I’m aware, nobody had tried to make a game that is survival horror set in space work so well. That game is 10 years old now. Dead Space along with Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots were a lot more innovative in their concept than the AAA market today. 

The problem I think is we’ve pretty much hit a plateau when it comes to innovative gameplay. The focus now is on graphics. As much as I’m looking forward to and playing Spider-Man, Detroit: Gone Human and Days Gone, all PS4 exclusives, they all just look like they’re taking concepts that worked in the past, only with superior graphics and a bigger sandbox to play in. 

Back when I was just a kid growing up in the 1990s and early 2000s, the gaming industry took a lot of risks. These days the companies even trying to take risks anymore are the small independent developer companies trying to get their product on the market. 

The giant corporate companies, namely Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, Square, Capcom and Activision, feel it’s much cheaper and easier to just crank out a collection of older games for a current gen platform. Or release a remaster, like Assassins Creed Rogue, with barely any improvements or changes from the original. Rather than make a new IP from the ground up that doesn’t just outright copy what games of the past did. 

Pokemon games these days just feel like the same game. It is probably the most successful franchise on a handheld of all time. The games made the Gameboy consoles a must buy. But in the 20 something years of it’s existance, I haven’t seen any real progress, changes or new benchmarks set on it’s formula. Sure, there’s been changes, there’s been improvements, there’s a lot more Pokémon now than there was back in the late 1990s. But to me it’s just the same thing, and it’s stale and boring now.

Making a new successful IP is expensive and costs millions of dollars to make. So a company like EA just takes the easy path of loot boxes, microtransactions, and release the same drivel over and over. Look at Madden and FIFA. They’re the same game now as they were 10 years ago, with hardly any creativity or innovation because most sports games don’t need to be creative. 

I don’t know. I’ve played video games for 27 years, and this could be the first time ever in my life I’m not really looking forward to the new generation. Because the passion and creativity just isn’t there anymore.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

i dont understand sony at all. i have 6 ps3s because i personally love them for media. through all generations of the models they had, they were all pretty damn hard to find. i had to settle on a few refurbished, used, or garage sale ones. everytime i would go out to buy a extra one for the house i would go to every single store and nobody would have any. theyd either be sold out, or just not ordering them. and they were still in high demand. but they killed ps3 on purpose for ps4 and they just let to much people have fun with the media aspect on ps3. storing songs and movies right into the system theyll never do that again. im almost positive they could be selling tons of ps3s still but rather not. ps4 might of been out for  awhile, but the developers are just now really tapping into making games look great for it. i still dont think anyone has hit the full potential the system can give yet. prob never will either because a new system will come out and theyll fade out ps4 like they did ps3

44 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

The previous 3 generations have been allot more interesting then ps4/xb1 era so spicing up the graphics is certainly no answer. This generation has really been a "Games for Consumers" generation in my opinion.

Yes. Games are for consumers. There's no generational limit on that.

1 hour ago, Z1MZUM said:

The previous 3 generations have been allot more interesting then ps4/xb1 era so spicing up the graphics is certainly no answer. This generation has really been a "Games for Consumers" generation in my opinion.

That's because the games from those three generations tried to push the bar forward and set new standards. I look back on games like Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Grand Theft Auto III, the original God of War, the first Uncharted, Dead Space, Bioshock, the original Assassins Creed and Demon's Souls as pushing the envelope.

I'm not trying to say everything this generation has been bad. But I honestly feel it hasn't been near as interesting as what the previous few generations before it gave us.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2018 at 8:59 AM, KingGuy420 said:

Have to admit, your run down of this is probably the fairest explanation I've seen today. All day I've seen so many clickbait "OMG PS4 IS DEAD!!!!" type of crap.

I think that dudes words got severely twisted. When he said that the system was entering the final stages of it's life span, he was referring the success of the console. He literally said those things in the same breath as referring to sales numbers. How people twisted that to "ps4 is dead, ps5 confirmed" is beyond me. When someone turns 65, they're referred to as entering the final stages of their life span... That doesn't automatically mean they're gonna die at 66 lol.

On 23/05/2018 at 9:16 AM, ExHaseo said:

Sales are slowing because the majority of people who want a PS4 already have one at this point. The majority of the market has already been tapped. There's definitely still a decent number of people out there who don't have a PS4 yet, but it makes sense that it's not setting sales records or anything when so many people already have the system.

Anyway, what this really means is that we've hit the middle of the generation, and they're going to stop trying to push console sales for a while, and instead push game sales instead. We'll probably start to see a lot more big releases from Sony as they milk their current playerbase for a few years before releasing a new console and starting over.

I think the problem in interpretation lies in the CEO's use of "final phase" as starting when hardware sales start to decline. Personally I'd have called that the pre-final phase, the final one being 'hardly any hardware gets sold any more but there's still many active users'. So yeah, the point isn't "PS4 dead" as much as it is that we're starting to reach saturation PS4 console-wise.

The best action is now to keep a hold of these PS4 owners and keep coming with new and interesting games.

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

The problem I think is we’ve pretty much hit a plateau when it comes to innovative gameplay. The focus now is on graphics.

Honestly, I agree with your whole post. I think that this really mostly applies to AAA gaming though. I feel like there are many independent developers who focus on innovation. Basically there's indie devs who try to innovate (Elite Dangerous creating our galaxy on a 1:1 scale, Papers Please having a 'check for inconsistencies' puzzle gameplay in an Eastern Bloc border immigration office setting), and indie devs who focus on gameplay/genres the AAA world has moved on from (Shovel Knight combining Mega Man and Duck Tales, Thimbleweed Park going classic point and click).

It's been a while since an AAA game positively surprised me. I think Mario + Rabbids was a crazy idea that worked very well. Then again, I feel like Ubisoft is actively trying to do something different these days, both with established and with new IPs. I'm very interested in Starlink, love to see how that unfolds.

I still like games like Assassin's Creed and Mario and Donkey Kong, but they're not the games that surprise me any more. Personally, these days I try to take more of a chance with indie games. I get burned once in a while, but on the whole it seems worth it.

• Like 2