Easier to use Forum Idea.

While I was scrolling about the forums earlier, I noticed a feature that could make the experience slightly easier. Right now, to add a reply to a topic, you must be at the bottom of the page, or in a new window. Another site I use the forums of has a nice reply box that stays stationary at the bottom of your tab regardless of where you scroll, if  that makes sense. 

Here is a screenshot to explain what I am talking about.

7vpIUY6.png

Basically the idea is to make it easier to respond to posts that aren't at the very bottom of the screen, without necessarily quoting them. I'm not sure how possible it is with the forums as is, but it's just an idea!

• Like 3

I find bars like that to be incredibly annoying (mostly because they take up screen real estate when I don't want them to), and the extra half second it would save me wouldn't be worth the sacrifice in my opinion.  Perhaps it bothers most people less.

Fair enough. I prefer them for more serious topics, because you have to respond to more posts than just the one right before you. It makes it easier to address a lot of concerns of previous posters without scrolling up and down and up and down. But I can see the concern of it taking up too much space. Perhaps the option to have the current "locked down" bar could still be available?

I have to agree with ASlimeAppears for the exact same reasons, I also find those bars really really annoying, but that's just my opinion.

Maybe its something that could be toggled on and off so people who do like that could use, I'm interested to see how people feel about this.

What about adding a small Reply option right at the bottom of each post? It could be next to the Report/MultiQuote/Quote options, and therefore fairly unobtrusive.

Clicking the quote brings you strait down to the Reply boxes anyways. The main functionality of this is to allow you to read the thread while typing a response, as opposed to save time getting to the reply box.

I think it needs to be mentioned that on the other site, this bar only appears after you click reply, so you can read the forum without it obstructing you, and then reply in this manner as opposed to always having the post box take up the screen.

Edited by Christopher

Clicking the quote brings you strait down to the Reply boxes anyways. The main functionality of this is to allow you to read the thread while typing a response, as opposed to save time getting to the reply box.

I think it needs to be mentioned that on the other site, this bar only appears after you click reply, so you can read the forum without it obstructing you, and then reply in this manner as opposed to always having the post box take up the screen.

If it doesn't appear unless I hit reply it wouldn't bother me.  It wouldn't do much for me because it doesn't bother me all that much to scroll down with the mouse wheel, but I can see the benefits.

I have a quick question as well. I thought it would be better to ask it in here, instead of making a new topic.

On the forum page, I notice on the right side you're able to view the last 5 most recent topics. Is there a way to view all recent topics? Like with recent status updates you can view the five most recent but then you can click the link at the bottom to view all status updates. I think a link added at the bottom of recent topics would also be a welcome addition.

Thoughts?

Edited by Skippy

The way it is now sort of encourages users to actually read posts first, or at least scroll through them. Even as it is, you still get so many pointless posts because people are lazy to read what's already been posted. This 'feature' would just make it easier for impatient ADD users to spam threads with the first fart thought that pops into their head.

• Like 2

I have a quick question as well. I thought it would be better to ask it in here, instead of making a new topic.

On the forum page, I notice on the right side you're able to view the last 5 most recent topics. Is there a way to view all recent topics? Like with recent status updates you can view the five most recent but then you can click the link at the bottom to view all status updates. I think a link added at the bottom of recent topics would also be a welcome addition.

Thoughts?

I'm guessing there are 2 ways that U can go about accomplishing this.

click da home button and on da far left there is the content box " Forum Activity ".or click da " New Post " button @ top of Forums, then to the left you can refine what is displayed by making a choose in the " by Content type " box. I think da answer Ur looking for is in da @nd option. to put that in da threads themselves I think would be taking focus away from main OP's topic for threads themselves. hope this answers ya question..

The way it is now sort of encourages users to actually read posts first, or at least scroll through them. Even as it is, you still get so many pointless posts because people are lazy to read what's already been posted. This 'feature' would just make it easier for impatient ADD users to spam threads with the first fart thought that pops into their head.

this rite hits da nail on da head... :hmm:

Edited by BDKSimba

I'm guessing there are 2 ways that U can go about accomplishing this.

click da home button and on da far left there is the content box " Forum Activity ".or click da " New Post " button @ top of Forums, then to the left you can refine what is displayed by making a choose in the " by Content type " box. I think da answer Ur looking for is in da @nd option. to put that in da threads themselves I think would be taking focus away from main OP's topic for threads themselves. hope this answers ya question..

this rite hits da nail on da head... :hmm:

I actually already tried clicking new post but it only ever shows me topics I've already posted in. Maybe I'm missing something. Anyway thanks for the feedback.

Scratch that, I've got it sorted now lol thanks.

Edited by Skippy

I like this idea, and if it can be toggled off then it won't upset members who don't want to use it.

It doesn't really bother me having to go to the bottom of the page to write, but I would like to write as I'm reading, so that I don't have to go all the way up or down when answering multiple users.