Need advice (trophy related)

Where do I begin? Okay, I'll keep it to the point. So for a long time now, I've been one of those people that sort of avoids playing whatever game based on the games trophies. If I feel within myself that I won't be able to platinum or 100% the game, I avoid even starting the game to begin with and find another one that I think I can. 

The problem with this is that I'm limiting myself gaming wise because I don't just play anything like most people do. I feel so restricted and limited in what games to play because of me being like this. Being like this is ruining gaming for me, I know it's my fault though.  

I do try and tell myself that I need to snap out of being like this because it ruins gaming. And if there's a game that I already have in my trophy collection that I can't do, it's like I can't let it go that I won't ever 100% the game and it bothers me. 

I've said to myself that I need to stop putting trophies to the forefront as though there number one when the game is number one and always will be. 

Is there anyone else that has felt this way or ever had this problem? 

I just need advice on this guys. 

• Like 1

Sometimes I have the same problem but I found a simple solution: create a secondary account.

When you want to start a new game play it first on your secondary account and if you find yourself liking it play it on your primary account. Basically you will have a account focuss on trophies and a account to play anything you want without been afraid of not be able to get the 100%

Just play all the games and let the hard ones sit uncompleted and come back to the them later. That's what I did with OlliOlli2 because it was too hard. I came back like 3 monhs later and destroyed everything in the game first try. You can't magically get good at the game if you never play it.

Suggestion One: Hide your trophies so you can't check your stats on the site and turn off trophy notifications. Then just play games. You don't have to do this forever, but just until you feel comfortable you're pursuing your hobby for the right reasons.

Suggestion Two: Take every game you own and get the first trophy. Not only do you get to get a taste of a bunch of games, but now the only way your completion percentage can go is up. :) 

Suggestion Three: Never give up on a game. If you're having troubles, just say "It's too hard right now, I'll finish it in the future". I have tons of games that I'm never touching again, but I still tell myself that one day I'll finish them.

I found that completion percentages don't mean as much to me as total level does. 

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned anything about "blank accounts".

You can make an additional user on your console, play the game you want to test out there and if you have a feeling that you won't be able to 100% it, obviously just leave it /delete it.

On the other hand, if at any point you'll know that's the game you want to have on your main account, you can literally transfer  all the earned trophies there.

I've learn that from the StayPationt channel on Youtube. Just input " blank accounts StayPationt" into the Youtube search and watch the more detailed video.

That should help you out greatly. I know it did wonders for me :).

I don't like the idea of secondary accounts because you essentially play everything twice, which takes away time to play other games.

My idea would be to turn off trophy notifications and don't look at your trophies for any game. Pretend they aren't there. If you have to, hide every game you don't finish. Hunting is a means to an end anyways. In the end, they are just a bunch of images that you and a few others actually ever look at. The sooner you realize that, the better you'll be.

I had the exact same mental state earlier this year @Cryogenicide_X . I know i can't exactly get 100% over it, and im fine with that, but recently i have decided for myself i will no longer play a game based on trophies alone that don't interest me. Its not a complete solution, but it takes some of the stress off. I still intend to clear my backlog although i won't be buying any DLC.

And if you really wanna play a game, just play it on another user i guess. or play it on your own account. Because if you really like the game, the platinum will be all the more satisfying.

15 minutes ago, Dead By Noon said:

On the other hand, if at any point you'll know that's the game you want to have on your main account, you can literally transfer  all the earned trophies there.

I never knew you could transfer trophies. that's pretty cool. but you still have to start over i guess so if its like story related trophies it doesn't really matter.

32 minutes ago, gamesfourever said:

I never knew you could transfer trophies. that's pretty cool. but you still have to start over i guess so if its like story related trophies it doesn't really matter.

No it's better. If you use a blank account - just a local user on your ps4, no playstation online account! - you can add your online account at any given time you want and all trophies will be included and sorted by date earned normaly... only problem: no online play possible with a blank account...

10 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

Suggestion One: Hide your trophies so you can't check your stats on the site and turn off trophy notifications. Then just play games. You don't have to do this forever, but just until you feel comfortable you're pursuing your hobby for the right reasons.

Suggestion Two: Take every game you own and get the first trophy. Not only do you get to get a taste of a bunch of games, but now the only way your completion percentage can go is up. :) 

Suggestion Three: Never give up on a game. If you're having troubles, just say "It's too hard right now, I'll finish it in the future". I have tons of games that I'm never touching again, but I still tell myself that one day I'll finish them.

I found that completion percentages don't mean as much to me as total level does. 

I thought your completion ratio goes down the more and more games you add without earning any trophies for them. 

Just now, Cryogenicide_X said:

I thought your completion ratio goes down the more and more games you add without earning any trophies for them. 

Nope, only games with a trophy earned count against your completion ratio. You can add a billion 0% games and it wouldn't affect your ratio at all. 

13 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

Nope, only games with a trophy earned count against your completion ratio. You can add a billion 0% games and it wouldn't affect your ratio at all. 

But I thought that that's how it gets the statistic for completion ratio? It's basing it on unearned trophies compared to earned and it can work out based on that what your overall completion ratio is. It goes by every game you've played. I've had some occasions where I've seen mine go down a little so what's caused that?

Edited by Cryogenicide_X

13 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

But I thought that that's how it gets the statistic for completion ratio? It's basing it on unearned trophies compared to earned and it can work out based on that what your overall completion ratio is. It goes by every game you've played. I've had some occasions where I've seen mine go down a little so what's caused that?

Someone's going have to fact-check me because it's been a while since I calculated this. (like, years, so I might get this confused with Sony's completion calculations) 

Completion ratio is calculated by adding up all the trophy points you have divided by all the trophy points available in games added to your profile that's over 0% (DLC included). 

If you look at me, I have 7,457 trophies earned and 7,422 unearned trophies. So I should have  7457/14879 (or 50.12%) ratio. But I don't, I have 48.72%. 

Just for fun, if we go to my trophy adviser we can see 0% games included in my stats and it counts 8,252 trophies unearned. 7457/15709 is 47.46%, which is also not my completion percentage :P 

I don't actually want to calculate my completion rate, but you basically have to count each trophy point (bronze, silver, gold, platinum) and use those values. That's why silvers should increase your completion more then bronzes and so forth. I don't think platinum are included in the calculation..

Are more DLC being released for games you have on your profile? That would be the only way for your completion rate to change without you adding more games or trophies to your account.

Bonus: Here's a thread where someone does more math: 

15 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

Someone's going have to fact-check me because it's been a while since I calculated this. (like, years, so I might get this confused with Sony's completion calculations) 

Completion ratio is calculated by adding up all the trophy points you have divided by all the trophy points available in games added to your profile that's over 0% (DLC included). 

If you look at me, I have 7,457 trophies earned and 7,422 unearned trophies. So I should have  7457/14879 (or 50.12%) ratio. But I don't, I have 48.72%. 

Just for fun, if we go to my trophy adviser we can see 0% games included in my stats and it counts 8,252 trophies unearned. 7457/15709 is 47.46%, which is also not my completion percentage :P 

I don't actually want to calculate my completion rate, but you basically have to count each trophy point (bronze, silver, gold, platinum) and use those values. That's why silvers should increase your completion more then bronzes and so forth. I don't think platinum are included in the calculation..

Are more DLC being released for games you have on your profile? That would be the only way for your completion rate to change without you adding more games or trophies to your account.

Bonus: Here's a thread where someone does more math: 

Thank you for all that information my friend ?

It must of been added DLC that's lowered it. 

Edited by Cryogenicide_X
  • Like 1