Nintendo not holding E3 conference

Lady Lilith

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=201118

Coming from Iwata...

"At this years E3 we will not be announcing a new hardware system, so E3's primary mission will be to have [press, analysts] experience our software. Many people would like to know more about the titles for Wii U that will be announced. We will use the timing of E3 to focus on providing details about our Wii U titles for release this year, and intend to create opportunities for guests to the conference to experience them immediately. We will attempt to use this year's E3 to make announcements in a new way that we have not tried before.

Unlike previous years, we will not have a large-scale [E3] presentation directed to everyone in the world. Instead, we are planning several smaller events focusing on software for America. Among these hands-on events will be one for American distributors and another for western media."

Wow, talk about a major surprise for E3, and not the kind we wanted to see. I'm not sure I 100% believe this yet. We'll have to get comment from Nintendo.

I know how they love their new Nintendo Directs, but this is just plain stupid.  Everyone knows what E3 is, not everyone knows what (or watches) Nintendo Directs.

...Then again, this way they'd be getting 100% (or close) of a fanbase who already like their consoles    :hmm:

Maybe they feel their products aren't getting the adoration they wanted in the bigger events, so they're focusing more on being the bigger fish of a smaller pond.

In other words, they know how they screwed the pooch with the New Wii HD and don't know what to do.

They should just stick to Handhelds from now on. Or stop using retarded gimmicks, like pushing motion control on every game or adding an iPad to the console itself.

Edited by MxWhiteKnight
  • Like 1

In other words, they know how they screwed the pooch with the New Wii HD and don't know what to do.

They should just stick to Handhelds from now on. Or stop using retarded gimmicks, like pushing motion control on every game or adding an iPad to the console itself.

I don't think that's the whole picture, but that's a big part of it.  They know the PS4 and Xbox 720 are gonna be huge, and they KNOW anything they announce will be brushed aside for new hardware.  In Nintendo Direct, they have no danger of this happening, because they're the only ones there.

Edited by gamerm1337

Not an wise move despite the fact I'd rather get my news from PAX and other venues. Still my point is this, E3 is a VERY popular event and missing out on that in any shape or form will hurt you. So to me Nintendo without an lack of serious Wii U games is showing the gamers that infact the Wii U is an major flop so far. Sure Nintendo is doing an small venue but they are not getting big more fans and more people interested with the Wii U. If Nintendo keeps it up I can see the future of them doing handhelds only.

The only people watching Nintendo Direct's are Nintendo users anyway, they aren't going to attract new people with those. I like Nintendo for the colossal IP's they have created, I mean I don't think there is another series as big and succesfull as Mario and Zelda, and they have tons that follow them close, but maybe they should step away from the home console market and just focus on handhelds, they are dominating it already. do you imaging what they could acomplish with their focus strictly directed at it? They don't have the tech to compete with SONY and MS on consoles, but come on the money makers that work on Wii can join the likes of Fire Emblem and Pokemon on the 3DS universe easily.

Sounds to me like they know Sony and Microsoft are going to blow them out of the water and they don't want to be embarrassed. It is starting to get really hard to defend Nintendo nowadays it seems.

Parker

True.

But I love the 3DS.

I just don't know how long Nintendo will last against Sony & Microsoft in the console wars :hmm:

I just seen 2K isn't attending E3 either...whats going on?

Maybe they are loosing faith on holding one big conference instead of a lot of smaller ones. Or maybe the don't have much to show, I mean SE expo last year wasn't that good and the one they did on PS4 reveal was worst.

Maybe they are loosing faith on holding one big conference instead of a lot of smaller ones. Or maybe the don't have much to show, I mean SE expo last year wasn't that good and the one they did on PS4 reveal was worst.

I would almost rather have 3-4 smaller conferences a year.

Me. Like a lot of other gamers, I'd much rather see some actual new games instead of more of the same. I have nothing against multiple games in a series but there is a point where enough is enough and your company needs to branch out.

Parker

100% Agree, Nintendo is surviving of the same IP's, they know a new Mario/Zelda is going to sell like bread and they stick with it, the only way they take risks with new ones is on the 3DS, thats why I believe they should stick with it and let the home console market to the heavy weights.

I love nintendo i really do but with the Wii U they need to get some really good exclusives on there asap like zelda , metroid etc 

Maybe drop the price a little that will entice gamers into buying the system . 

As for E3 it makes sense the spotlight will be on next-gen with the Ps4 & nextbox 

that being said it's more important for them to show what they're doing or they will just fade away 

Nintendo has a specific market and they have to stick to it and keep fighting strong , make some unique new ip's and maybe even delve in Indie as it's a big market 

i really hope they do well .

What they wouldn't give to have a do-over and call the console something else. They pulled in such a large share of the casual gaming audience with the Wii, but apparently they didn't realize that many of these casual gamers wouldn't realize that the Wii-U is a completely new console and not a newer version of what they already have. Not to down play the lack of games, which is also a huge problem, but the dumb ass name didn't help.

• Like 1

I think Nintendo has dug their own graves by focusing so much on the casual market and not enough with the 'serious' gamers.

Personally they should stop milking the Mario, Zelda series soo much and look at new games to release, i get the sense people are growing tired of the same kinda games being released for decades on end without bringing anything new.

I think Nintendo has dug their own graves by focusing so much on the casual market and not enough with the 'serious' gamers.

Personally they should stop milking the Mario, Zelda series soo much and look at new games to release, i get the sense people are growing tired of the same kinda games being released for decades on end without bringing anything new.

Mario and Zelda is like Kratos and Sackboy(Or Ratchet since he's been around much longer) to Sony. We keep getting sequels over and over again because it's why people buy the console in the first place. I'm not saying Nintendo shouldn't make anything new,they should and have done it. (Kid Icarus for the 3DS for example, fans have begged YEARS for a sequel.) I would love to see a brand new Star Fox game like the ones on the gamecube or even a new F zero game.

As for them not having a E3 conference, I think it's a smart thing for them not to host one about them. Too much talk will be around the new consoles nobody will care about them. All I want to hear is smash bros, that would give me reason to buy a Wii U and Pikmin 3 of course.