New Mass Effect in the Works

Chambers35

During a journalist Q & A session after the Canadian Video Game Awards, the Mass Effect franchise’s lead writer revealed that he’s working on the next title in the Mass Effect series.

“Right now I’m actually just working on Mass Effect 4 (I wouldn’t call it 4, I’d just call it the next Mass Effect). It’s coming out of Montreal,” said Mac Walters.

He also alluded to the fact that he might be working on other unannounced Bioware projects as well.
I’m also working on other undisclosed things,” said Walters.

masseffect3.jpg?w=680&h=382
The ending of Mass Effect 3 was very controversial.

Mass Effect 3, developed by Edmonton-based Bioware, won the award for best console game, best original music and best writing at the Canadian Video Game Awards.

Walters also explained where he gets inspiration to write the Mass Effect franchise.

“..for me personally (keep in mind that there are eight other writers that worked on Mass Effect), I don’t necessarily take inspiration from scifi. The thing I love about Mass Effect is that you can tell any story. Whether it’s from Downton Abbey, you can find those sort of human stories scattered throughout it…,” said Walters.
Full Story

Thoughts?

Edited by Chambers35

I'll wait for more info, but I'm not stoked. No more Shepard for one, and it's very possible we won't see the return of any other characters outside of ambient dialogue and Codex entries. Plus, while Walters was lead on ME2, he was also lead on ME3 and part of the 'dynamic duo' that thrashed the last three hours of the game by choosing to work in a vaccum away from the other writers. I'm not sure I trust his judgment.

I'll wait for more info, but I'm not stoked. No more Shepard for one, and it's very possible we won't see the return of any other characters outside of ambient dialogue and Codex entries. Plus, while Walters was lead on ME2, he was also lead on ME3 and part of the 'dynamic duo' that thrashed the last three hours of the game by choosing to work in a vaccum away from the other writers. I'm not sure I trust his judgment.

I didn't think the last three hours were that aweful but they definitely weren't up to par with what the series had done. I'm happy Shepard's story is done, I welcome new characters but Shepard was definitely special. I agree with being weary of his judgement though, if the games anything like the last three hours of Mass Effect 3 the series could turn to crap.

On another note, damn you have a lot of Mass Effect playthroughs.  :blink:

Edited by Noire_Symphony

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am really hoping this turns out great. I liked all the ME games so far though I will admit that the endings for ME3 weren't fantastic. The thing that I am worried about is that without Shepard, whether we are going to be able to connect with this new protagonist. fingers crossed on it though.

I'll wait for more info, but I'm not stoked. No more Shepard for one, and it's very possible we won't see the return of any other characters outside of ambient dialogue and Codex entries.

Two words come to mind when I see concerns that Shepard or other characters won't appear in the next Mass Effect: Star Wars.

Outside of the six films, there's comics, novels, cartoons, video games... While some of these may reference (or even have cameos of) characters from the films, the Star Wars Universe is so diverse and rich with history that they can go into detail about other parts not thoroughly addressed within the movies.

Casey Hudson and the Mass Effect team provided that for us as well. A prime example is the villain, Kai Leng, from Mass Effect 3. He was originally a character from one of the novels, but they decided to put him in the game.

Outside of Shepard's story, you have a history of the krogan rebellions and genophage, the uprising of the geth from their creators, the quarians, the extinction of the protheans from the reapers... Just like Star Wars, the Mass Effect Universe is so diverse and rich with history that it doesn't have to focus on one character.

All that aside, one thing I would like to see in the next Mass Effect is a full length co-op campaign. The wave-based MP in ME3 is fun, but it gets old fast. When a friend and I heard ME3 was getting co-op, we were excited that we'd be fighting side-by-side in missions... and then it was revealed that it was wave-based...

Customization wouldn't be that difficult to include either, especially with the face codes used in campaign and the fact that the color pallet I use for my characters in MP can be seen by my friends and vice versa.

Just a thought...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was just saying man. I wasn`t being rude.

Actually, you were being rude. You just didn't realize you were. Read your reply - it adds nothing and actually demeans someone for posting a great topic. You don't always have to compete with others on who's first/best.

Anyway, this is great to see! I truly enjoyed Mass Effect 3 and had a lot of fun platting it. It even had a fun online mode - something I don't often say. But I was disappointed, thinking such a great game engine wouldn't be used again. Happy to be wrong.

Edited by Stanster

Actually, you were being rude. You just didn't realize you were. Read your reply - it adds nothing and actually demeans someone for posting a great topic. You don't always have to compete with others on who's first/best.

Uh, I don't see how it's as rude as you described. I think you're overexagerrating it.

Hopefully it will release on next-gen than this gen. I'd be disappointed if it weren't the case.

Lets get back on topic kids...

Mass Effect 4...  Awesomesauce.  Lets face it, we all knew it wouldn't end with ME3, when you have a cash cow, you've got to keep milking it.

For me, I want it to be set after ME3 with the consequences of Shepard's actions playing in the background, without having Shepard involved in anyway. It should expand the universe, hell, lets go GTA and have 3 main characters of different races all trying to achieve their goals interacting with each other (doesnt have to be friendly interaction either) at different points in the story.  Bring on another 3 part epic. More customisation, have your hero be your hero, like traditional RPG's.  Keep the renegade and paradigm paths. 

Lets go fucking nuts and have 3 endings with different coloured explosions just to piss people off!

I'm a tad excitable when it comes to the ME universe, and this is probably the first game that has me excited about the next gen.

Lets go fucking nuts and have 3 endings with different coloured explosions just to piss people off!

Or they could always outdo themselves and add a 4th ending with a whole new coloured explosion, maybe even create a new colour just for that particular explosion.

• Like 1

Uh, I don't see how it's as rude as you described. I think you're overexagerrating it.

Hopefully it will release on next-gen than this gen. I'd be disappointed if it weren't the case.

It's rude. It doesn't matter what you think - it's how others perceive it. Social interaction 101 - Don't try to correct or 1-up people unless it is necessary.

This game would flourish on the PS4. Loading times made ME3 somewhat tiresome. Can you imagine it with no loading times at all?

Anyway, this is great to see! I truly enjoyed Mass Effect 3 and had a lot of fun platting it. It even had a fun online mode - something I don't often say. But I was disappointed, thinking such a great game engine wouldn't be used again. Happy to be wrong.

Each to their own bud.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen much on ME4 (or whatever they are planning on calling), so this may seem kind of stupid, but I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately and I think they will wind up canonizing one of the endings (I think refusal since it would be the easiest to do). I hope not, but it seems like the most logical way to make a sequel to the game.